I'm not APL anymore! (scissor happy stylists)

*fabulosity*

Poor baby... I'm gonna keep it real. I would've cried. Shoot I have cried in a salon several times.... and then went into verbal jujitso... :lachen:
Your hair is still very pretty... however; she didn't have to cut all that and if she felt she did; she should've gotten the "white" towel and laid it on your shoulders and told you how much she was going to trim/cut/butcher.

I recommend getting some hair shears and spending a couple days on YT... learn to dust them yourself (since now you're starting with fresh beautiful ends)... and you won't be a victim again.

HUGS doll!

*fabulosity*

This is why I now go to a male stylist. A lot of female stylists are haters who will cut your hair off. It's like you have to show them exactly how much to cut and then some of them get annoyed because they think you're trying to tell them how to do their jobs. Dammit, it's your hair!! :wallbash:

Yeah not always a winner ... I've had two and I've had to

:boxing: them as well.

againstallodds

Poor baby... I'm gonna keep it real. I would've cried. Shoot I have cried in a salon several times.... and then went into verbal jujitso... :lachen:
Your hair is still very pretty... however; she didn't have to cut all that and if she felt she did; she should've gotten the "white" towel and laid it on your shoulders and told you how much she was going to trim/cut/butcher.

I recommend getting some hair shears and spending a couple days on YT... learn to dust them yourself (since now you're starting with fresh beautiful ends)... and you won't be a victim again.

HUGS doll!

That's EXACTLY what I said to myself once I walked out the salon yesterday. Making at stop at Sally's today! :yep:

I trusted her to trim my hair because she's given me great trims in the past, taking of no more than half an inch... I don't know what got into her this time.

Americka

That's EXACTLY what I said to myself once I walked out the salon yesterday. Making at stop at Sally's today! :yep:

I trusted her to trim my hair because she's given me great trims in the past, taking of no more than half an inch... I don't know what got into her this time.

I am very curious about something. What length and health is her hair?

Ann816

I remember when you posted the first picture...your hair looked healthy to me!!!!! The one thing that I know now is that when a stylist says "you" need a trim it's more like "they" need/want the extra 10 -15 dollars it cost for a "supposedly" trim.

Hopefully it will grow back in no time!

Ann

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAD!

Well, I'm no longer APL thanks to my former (I refuse to go back) scissor happy stylist!!!! "Oh you need trim," which I agreed with. My ends needed to be trimmed, emphasis on the TRIM. What I did not need was a CUT, which is what she gave me.

Comparison:

Wow the pics make me what to cry... What a set back... :(

WOW!

GeauXavi

I think you are still APL! but like others have said...this is a good trim IMO because it will allow you to do protective styles for a while...and gain your length back plus more...then next time you can just slightly dust (yourself) and you will keep your length.

I find that when I get a GOOD trim...and get off the heat, my hair flourishes...there is less breakage from dryness or split ends!

When I'm growing my hair... I stick to DIY dustings. Sometimes they turn into trims...but I know I DID IT, so I can get over it more quickly:) I'm sooo obsessed with healthy ends that sometimes i would dust every 4 weeks! If I got to APL doing that...I know you will be fine!

againstallodds

I am very curious about something. What length and health is her hair?

uhm, she's caucasian and I honestly cant tell when caucasian hair is healty or not (unless its completely obvious, raggedy ends, etc.) but her hair looks relatively healthy.

Her hair is a little shorter than my hair is now.

GodsGrace

Same thing happened to me OP, and although my hair still looked great, I didn't appreciate her not telling me how much of a "trim" she was going to do, and I could definitely tell the difference as I'd lost about 3 inches of hair. Went back to being shoulder length. So I went and bought a pair of shears the other day and from now on I'll be doing my own dustings/trims as well. There's a plethora of info on how to do that both here and couple of vids on youtube. Don't worry, you'll regain your length in no time. It still looks fabulous!

kayte

that was a cut.... not a trim....:perplexed
and that has happened to me....more than once
and with someone who had in the past I trusted
and it happened enough that I REFUSE to let anyone trim it ..EVER

but when I did..I found I could not simply relax in the chair and let her /him have at it
as in the old days when I was hair ignorant and crossed my fingers it would be okay
you have to be totally on top of them ...and let's face it.... some of those stylists have ISSUES

So especially with stylists who are going to cut/trim you almost have to do the
like a strand test with them...as if you were trying product on your hair and closely determining the outcome
EACH TIME

show me what you are going to cut... ..it can only be this much
she trims a sample piece remind her..keep reminding her
and it cannot be more than THAT..
you monitor her every cut
to MAKE sure.. and you make her show you as she goes along
you are basically supervising the cut

I am high maintenance in the chair and it's a pain in the *&^ for both of us
but I've done it..because if not.....
I'm the one who has to go home with the end result

but your hair is gorgeous...awesome color,too and your mane will
grow right back....

Last edited:

runwaydream

i'd be pissed too! she cut off WAY too much. for those that are saying you'd still be APL when the sweep falls, i don't think they're taking into account that in the "after" pic your shoulders and tensed up and in the "before" pic your shoulders are relaxed.

so unless you constantly walk around w. your shoulders tensed up you will NOT be APL.

im so mad for you b/c right now im right above APL and i know how frustrating it is to get there. im imagining myself in your shoes right now. if i had FINALLY gotten there and some **** decided to cut all my hair off?!? :swearing: all hell would break loose!!! :gunner7::gunner7:

like the other ladies said.. become a DIY'er or be extra picky when u get ur hair cut. watch them the whole way and don't let them convince you of anything other than what you wanted when you walked into the salon

againstallodds

i'd be pissed too! she cut off WAY too much. for those that are saying you'd still be APL when the sweep falls, i don't think they're taking into account that in the "after" pic your shoulders and tensed up and in the "before" pic your shoulders are relaxed.

so unless you constantly walk around w. your shoulders tensed up you will NOT be APL.

im so mad for you b/c right now im right above APL and i know how frustrating it is to get there. im imagining myself in your shoes right now. if i had FINALLY gotten there and some **** decided to cut all my hair off?!? :swearing: all hell would break loose!!! :gunner7::gunner7:

like the other ladies said.. become a DIY'er or be extra picky when u get ur hair cut. watch them the whole way and don't let them convince you of anything other than what you wanted when you walked into the salon

It was freezing in my room, so I was tensed hahaha. But it's the next day and the sweep is gone, and nope, it didn't make a difference. I've been avoiding looking at my hair and have had it pinned up... that's how it'll be until my current 13 week stretch is over.

againstallodds

that was a cut.... not a trim....:perplexed
and that has happened to me....more than once
and with someone who had in the past I trusted
and it happened enough that I REFUSE to let anyone trim it ..EVER

but when I did..I found I could not simply relax in the chair and let her /him have at it
as in the old days when I was hair ignorant and crossed my fingers it would be okay
you have to be totally on top of them ...and let's face it.... some of those stylists have ISSUES

So especially with stylists who are going to cut/trim you almost have to do the
like a strand test with them...as if you were trying product on your hair and closely determining the outcome
EACH TIME

show me what you are going to cut... ..it can only be this much
she trims a sample piece remind her..keep reminding her
and it cannot be more than THAT..
you monitor her every cut
to MAKE sure.. and you make her show you as she goes along
you are basically supervising the cut

I am high maintenance in the chair and it's a pain in the *&^ for both of us
but I've done it..because if not.....
I'm the one who has to go home with the end result

but your hair is gorgeous...awesome color,too and your mane will
grow right back

I've always like I don't want to be a obnoxious and demanding but after this, if I let someone else trim for me, that's exactly what I HAVE to be!!!

thank you!!! if only it would grow back overnight...

againstallodds

Same thing happened to me OP, and although my hair still looked great, I didn't appreciate her not telling me how much of a "trim" she was going to do, and I could definitely tell the difference as I'd lost about 3 inches of hair. Went back to being shoulder length. So I went and bought a pair of shears the other day and from now on I'll be doing my own dustings/trims as well. There's a plethora of info on how to do that both here and couple of vids on youtube. Don't worry, you'll regain your length in no time. It still looks fabulous!

Yeah I completely agree, I love my healthy ends, but it's not want I had initially wanted. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten healthy ends with a smaller trim. Back to SL? I would have criiiiiiiiiiieeeeeedddddddd.

LeftRightRepeat

seems she was trying to make it more even, but what's the point if you're trying to grow your hair :wallbash:

i had a similar experience where she trimmed away the "strings"...knowing that I hardly ever wear my hair out and that I was growing my hair out. Months later, The "strings" are back :rolleyes:(i think) but i haven't been back to her to find out for sure

Galadriel

Sorry you feel upset, but IMHO the trim isn't all that bad. It looks like you'll be back at the original length within 1 mo. or 1.5 mos.
I've had two trims like yours since this summer (LOL, which explains why I'm still a couple of inches away from BSL) but I am very happy with the thickness and health of my ends, and eventually I'd like them to be blunt.
Ultimately though, it's your hair, and if you don't like what she did then go with what's best for you. It looks lovely though.

Miss AJ

After seeing all of these set backs due to stylists i am perfectly fine with my method for trimming my ends. Every couple of months just trim off the very ends of your hair section by section whether they are split or not. That way you won't lose length and your ends will stay thick and healthy.

*Muffin*

I think your cut looks good, but the stylist still should respect YOUR wishes and shouldn't assert that they know better.

*Muffin*

After seeing all of these set backs due to stylists i am perfectly fine with my method for trimming my ends. Every couple of months just trim off the very ends of your hair section by section whether they are split or not. That way you won't lose length and your ends will stay thick and healthy.

This is what I do now :yep:. No more hack jobs!

Misseyl

Yes, it looks like a cut to me. And I don't know why we call them scissor happy when it should be, hair happy, happy to chop your hair off.. Girl it will grow back but next time do it yourself. I've seen tutorials here on how to cut and your hair being that long, shouldn't be difficult.

againstallodds

Yes, it looks like a cut to me. And I don't know why we call them scissor happy when it should be, hair happy, happy to chop your hair off.. Girl it will grow back but next time do it yourself. I've seen tutorials here on how to cut and your hair being that long, shouldn't be difficult.

Misseyl trimming and dusting MYSELF is exactly what i've been doing. 2 months ago I went for just a wash and set and I had to tell her 3 times, in 3 different ways that I didn't need a trim, my ends were great, she even said so yet was still pushing for me to trim! No means no! :yep:

againstallodds

Ok here's a an update pic. Picture on the left is from when my hair was unnecessarily trimmed. Picture on the right is taken today, I got a touch up this past Friday. I've only dusted my ends once in during the span of time between these two pics.

Last edited:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
i understand your frustration and im sorry that this happened to you,

but i still dont understand WHY this happend to you.