Scissor Happy or Healthy Happy?

The MAJORITY of stylists are (in your opinion)...

• Scissor Happy (just cutting to cut)

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Healthy Happy (cutting for the health or appearance of health of your hair)

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Clueless (they don't know what they are doing)

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Jealous (haters who don't want your hair longer than theirs)

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters

RocStar

Ok, I think I must be very lucky, because I have never ever experienced a "scissor happy" stylist. So after reading some threads this evening it got me thinking...

Are the majority (of course there are always those bad apples that spoil the bunch) of stylists REALLY scissor happy? Maybe I am naive, but I tend to think many stylists want to help their clients have (or maybe to appear to have) healthy hair. Many think that blunt trimmed ends have the "healthy" look.
(Please note how through out this post I am saying "many" and not "all")

I also think that maybe we are so hyper-sensitive to length (this is the LONG hair care forum) so we think that when/if a stylist trim, it takes away all of our growth efforts/progress.

I am sure there are hateful and jealous stylists out there that have malicious intentions, but is that the majority?

I guess I should be more thankful that my current stylist (who I have had for 5+ years) knows the difference between a cut and a trim (I am sure it also helps that I watch her like a hawk and I know what she is doing in my head at all times).

Vote and let me know what you think.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i would say "appearance happy." back when i used to get regular press-and-curls, my stylist always wanted to trim me (every two weeks!!:drunk:) because she said it made the hair look extra bouncy and healthy, and then when folks asked who did my hurr, she'd get business. can't knock her honesty or hustle. :grin:
she didn't necessarily cut just to cut.
she also didn't particularly care about the health of my hair.
she wasn't clueless...V knew what she was doing.
and she sure wasn't a hater-she loved her BSS wigs.:look:

so ummm....yea, that was long. but you get my point??
i think a lot of stylists cut just because "it looks nice." and really and truly...it does. back then i sure didn't care...and now, idk i still can't resist the scissors. just indulged on saturday, actually. i love me some fresh, bouncy ends.:lick:

BSL 2050, perhaps, if i keep these habits??? :look:

drappedup

I've had 4 different stylists. 2 of which I have very specific trim/cut problems with. My very first stylist was fine as far as that goes. I do remember her giving me trim every so often, but nothing dramatic. Then the stylist I had up until I was 15ish was really good about that as well. I really feel he cared about health of my hair. However, it's the OTHER 2 that definitely are far too keen with their scissors.

My last stylist specifically was adamant about hair cuts in general, and so "trims" definitely were more than trims with her. I noticed she was like that with her other clients as well. And if you do not want a trim, she began to throw in little complaints about your ends or the health of your hair, so eventually it turned into a pressure thing. But yeah, I have DEFINITELY had bad experience with this. And I wish I were exaggerating.

I personally feel it's A, C and D for me. Depending on the past stylist of mine. B for the ones who trimmed when they said they would trim.

Solitude

I've never experienced a "jealous" stylist, but I have experienced a stylist that cut too much. I think a lot of them are going for overall nice appearance of the style, and many have been trained that a "trim" is an inch or more, which looks like a lot, especially on someone with SL hair or shorter.

But then again......a lot of us are/were in denial. I know I was when my HHJ started. A stylist cut off three inches and I called my mom crying. She said, "Well, now at least all the damage is gone, and if you take care of your hair, you won't have to cut anymore."

My mother and the stylist were both right. My ends were a mess and my hair would have just kept breaking.

You read people talking about how damaged their hair used to be and then how stylists are scissor happy, and it does make you wonder if the stylists are justified in cutting the damaged and split hair.....but then again, a lot of people's beef is that the stylists don't practice healthy hair practices, but constantly want to trim!

I just don't risk dealing with stylists anymore. I have maybe two I can think of that I would trust to do my hair. (I also had good experiences with Dominican salons in the DMV, but I don't live there anymore.) I've worked too hard to let somebody snip, snip, for any reason without careful consideration.

mahoganee

I've only had problems with a few. I'd just cut my hair and went to someone who'd been recommended by a coworker. She told me I needed a trim because my ends were damaged and I told her not to cut my hair. She kept insisting that my ends were extremely damaged and asked when I'd cut it. When I told her the day before she stood there looking stupid while everybody else stared at her. Another beautician came over and looked at my hair and told her my ends were fine and that my hair was healthy for someone who does their own hair. I didn't go back.

gymfreak336

I have seen both. Some cut just because they can, others cut because well, it needed to be cut. I think that while we have a lot of scissor happy stylist, we have a lot of split and damaged ends happy clients.

BostonMaria

About 90% of the women that used to cut my hair had beautiful BSL+ hair
In my opinion they were not only scissor happy, but were trying to get more money out of me

omachine

i once went from elbow length to bra strap length in one sitting...i begged the stylist not to cut it, i couldn't see the damage she claimed i had...but for some ridiculous reason i thought it was her decision to make...i should have gotten up out of the chair and simply left...instead i painfully endured the process...now my "no"s are emphatic...i believe the behavior of the stylist is situational and can be contributed to their professional norms more than anything....

CoilyFields

I think that most are "style happy" with a little delusional "cutting grows hair" on top.

The fact of the matter is that most styles look more polished with blunt ends. The hair also tends to look thicker and this makes their canvas better to work with...hence making their work look better.

But I think a lot of them dont realize this is the reason they prefer trims and not necessarily because you need to cut the hair, or that cutting it will make it to grow.

I mentioned this in another thread recently but im natural with two stylist. get my hair straightened about twice a year. Well one stylist had a fit when she realized that I was only getting my hair trimmed that often as well and went on and on about how important it was to trim every 8 weeks andhow damaged my hair was gonna be. I had to remind her that every time she and my other stylist straightened my hair they only took off a normal trim amount and I had been doing this for 2 years now. Neither had identified any excessive damage.

Ive never experienced a jealous stylist...just a few who were uninformed in a way that a professional should not be in exercising their craft.

DMJ's Mom

I have had both scissor happy and healthy happy. Before I moved I had this great stylist that would want to trim my hair but never wanted to cut off more than necessary or when I was first natural really didn't want to cut off all the damaged ends at once until I asked her to do so. The first time I went for a trim here the girl showed me how much she wanted to trim (maybe half an inch) and ended up taking off much more. I went from a little bit past APL to between SL and APL.

Polyesterdiva

I voted "don't know what they're doing."

My stylist used to trim my ends to give a blunt, healthy look...but IMO you don't need to cut one inch every 2 months to achieve this. And I WONDERED why my SL hair stayed the exact same length for one year.

I trim is 1/4 of a inch or less in my opinion, and now I trim my own hair...have blunt end, and much much longer hair the I ever have before.

JustSimplyTish

I have never experienced a jealous stylist either...Mine mostly cuts for the health of the hair....Now she has cut more than I would have liked in the past.....But I seriously don't think it was out of being scissor happy but because she honestly thought that was how much needed to come off....I have to admit I think she is wonderful and sometimes you have to make her cut more...she really does not cut to cut. But this lady has been doing my families hair for over twenty years and she specializes more in the health of hair vs trendy styles...she don't do all the fancy hair styles, weaves etc....90% of her clients have long hair down their back and have been getting it pressed since they were little kids....