I'm opening a dominican salon in the Dallas area

MissFallon

After looking high and low for a good dominican salon that isn't expensive I've decided that I am either going to start doing dominican blowouts and other dominican services for others and myself or just open up a dominican salon in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. I am originally from NYC where I lived in a dominican neighborhood for 22 yrs. I basically mastered the technique at 17 when I had to go to college in the middle of nowhere and there were no salons for "us". I am going to basically the same way they do it in New York, which means low prices fast service and good styling techniques. However, I will also focus on maintaining and growing healthy long ethnic hair.

For my prices I have come up with this:

Wash & Set (dom. blowout)- $17 (with deep conditioner)
Color- $30 permanent, $22 rinse
Relaxer- $25
Sew in- $50 full head with hair left out at the top
Clip in Extensions-$40 *measure you, make them and apply)
Shirley Temple Curls & Other curly sets- $25

I am going to be using mostly dominican products and some Nexxus products. I will also be selling dominican products for NY prices (which are a lot cheaper) since that is where I am going to purchasing them from.

How does this sounds? Are my prices reasonable enough? What other services should I offer?

I have not had my hair done in Dallas b4 (only NY) so I am basing them on prices that I am used to and feel that they aren't too much.

MissFallon

I'm in the process of getting my license now, I should have it by September. I don't plan on officially opening the salon until October 1st but will probably be doing hair in client's homes b4 then.

Tee

Sounds great to me!! Go for it. I will stop by when I am in town. (or call you if it's before the open date.)

Nice & Wavy

Girl...I'm so proud of you! Go on and do your thang!

I think you will be the first LHCF member (besides Balisi) to open up a Healthy Hair Salon with great prices. I think you will be an asset to all the ladies in the Dallas area.

Blessings to you and may you prosper in your new upcoming endeavors!!!

Blessings!

Tee

MissFallon said:
Thank y'all! How do the prices sound? What other services should I offer?

The prices are great. They over charge in the Dallas Area. The lady did a good job but I knew she overcharged me. I havent been back since. The services look really really good!

MissFallon

I think I am going to try to find someone who can do braids with extensions and do natural styles like kinky twists so that I can have more services for naturals. I can braid but only for weaves.

I was also thinking about reselling lacefronts in the salon and ordering them but I won't be charging crazy prices, probably like 400 which will include ordering customs, applying, cutting & styling the unit for the client, and teaching them how to apply it themselves. I will probably sell the supplies in the salon also.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Wow and congratulations! How industrious of you--I am impressed. I think the prices sound extremely reasonable. Have fun and maybe I'll see you when you open! :up:

silvergirl

whoa..... are those prices the norm in your area?? if so wow.... my mom owns a salon but her prices, and most other salons are charging alot more.... way more.... for those services.

back2relaxed

No those prices would be a lot cheaper than anything I've ever come across in Dallas, or in Houston or Dallas for that matter!

SoforReal

Wow congratulations!! Your prices are cheaper than the dom salon I go to in NYC. The only thing I would add is the cost to wrap the hair..u know with pins. Also make sure you charge enough so that you can pay the bills and the cost of products. That was one thing I use to hate with my old stylist....it seemed like every time I would get my hair done he would go up on the prices. It annoyed me so much that I stopped going to him.

zora

I think your prices are too low. Too many black folks doing well in Dallas for you to be charging such low prices.

Have you done a business plan? I ask because this will really give you clarity. Since you're opening a salon, you need to consider the location, utitilies and rent.

Will you be marketing this salon as a Dominican salon or a black salon that does hair dominican style?

Will you be the sole hair stylist or will you hire other Dominicans? If so, how's your spanish? It'd be nice to know if they are plannning to open their own salon and not have it said right in your face.

Or will you hire and train other blacks to do it the 'dominican-way'?

There's a salon in DC called 'Roller-Wrap'...at least I think that's the name. They are a black salon that kinda sorta use the dominican style blow-out/wrap.

I believe they are reasonably successful. You should probalby ask some DC girls. I would probably call the owner and ask her advice. She's no threat to you since you're in Dallas, so hopefully she'd be open.

Congratulations, by the way!!!

JD's Mom

After looking high and low for a good dominican salon that isn't expensive I've decided that I am either going to start doing dominican blowouts and other dominican services for others and myself or just open up a dominican salon in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. I am originally from NYC where I lived in a dominican neighborhood for 22 yrs. I basically mastered the technique at 17 when I had to go to college in the middle of nowhere and there were no salons for "us". I am going to basically the same way they do it in New York, which means low prices fast service and good styling techniques. However, I will also focus on maintaining and growing healthy long ethnic hair.

For my prices I have come up with this:

Wash & Set (dom. blowout)- $17 (with deep conditioner)
Color- $30 permanent, $22 rinse
Relaxer- $25
Sew in- $50 full head with hair left out at the top
Clip in Extensions-$40 *measure you, make them and apply)
Shirley Temple Curls & Other curly sets- $25

I am going to be using mostly dominican products and some Nexxus products. I will also be selling dominican products for NY prices (which are a lot cheaper) since that is where I am going to purchasing them from.

How does this sounds? Are my prices reasonable enough? What other services should I offer?

I have not had my hair done in Dallas b4 (only NY) so I am basing them on prices that I am used to and feel that they aren't too much.

I agree with Zora, your prices may be too low for the DFW area. I live in Tarrant County (Fort Worth side) and you can go up a bit more, and still be less than many other salons. For example: wash & set at $25 is very reasonable for this area, relaxer (touch-up) at $40-50 is reasonable (I pay $75, and have been for some time). Please do your research, b/c rents in nicer areas may be high. God Bless!

Energist

Congratulations and I wish you all the best! I just read Zora's questions and great food for thought. There is a Dominican community/social group out there in Dallas and they are on top of everything. If you advertise as a Dominican salon they are going to know about it and can either help your business or take it apart if they aren't appreciative. I only know this because I contacted their social group asking for a Dominican salon. They only gave me the name of 1, but I was surprised that they didn't have more. So I think that you will definitely be in demand girl! If you'd like the Dominican social groups info let me know and maybe you can contact them and get some advice/imput. They seem to be a very nice group :)