In need of a new hairstylist in DC

1lboogie

Hello all. I just joined the forum yesterday (after referrals from 2 friends). I'm in desperate need of a new stylist. My hair has been natural for the last two years. My hairstylist is really good, but I am fed up with the long wait times (3 - 4 hours) and attitude. Does anyone know of a good hair stylist in the VA/DC/MD area for natural hair? Also, my hair is not growing as fast as I would like, does anyone have any suggestions?

Please help!!!

JLove74

1lboogie said:
Hello all. I just joined the forum yesterday (after referrals from 2 friends). I'm in desperate need of a new stylist. My hair has been natural for the last two years. My hairstylist is really good, but I am fed up with the long wait times (3 - 4 hours) and attitude. Does anyone know of a good hair stylist in the VA/DC/MD area for natural hair? Also, my hair is not growing as fast as I would like, does anyone have any suggestions?

Please help!!!

Welcome :dance7:
Have you checked the salon forum? Plenty of suggestions in there - one in particular that I like is Ivy @ Salon Cielo Pentagon city. I've been going to her for years. She is great, natural and understands all hair types & problems.

1lboogie

JLove74 said:
Welcome :dance7:
Have you checked the salon forum? Plenty of suggestions in there - one in particular that I like is Ivy @ Salon Cielo Pentagon city. I've been going to her for years. She is great, natural and understands all hair types & problems.

Thanks Jlove. I went into the salon forum. You also recommended Judy. What are her prices like? Does she do natural hair too?
Also, what are the prices like at Salon Cielo? And my final question, how long are the wait times typically??

JLove74

1lboogie said:
Thanks Jlove. I went into the salon forum. You also recommended Judy. What are her prices like? Does she do natural hair too?
Also, what are the prices like at Salon Cielo? And my final question, how long are the wait times typically??

Judy does natural hair too - but I didn't know if you wanted to get a blow out. A few other ladies on the forum have gone to her and have great things to say. The only time there is a wait is on the weekends and even that's not too bad.

Prices at Salon Cielo, vary (when you call ask for Ivy so that she can give you her prices). Ivy only sees 1 person at a time, is very prompt. So you may wait 5 -10 while she finishes another person (not all the time though).

1lboogie

JLove74 said:
Judy does natural hair too - but I didn't know if you wanted to get a blow out. A few other ladies on the forum have gone to her and have great things to say. The only time there is a wait is on the weekends and even that's not too bad.

Prices at Salon Cielo, vary (when you call ask for Ivy so that she can give you her prices). Ivy only sees 1 person at a time, is very prompt. So you may wait 5 -10 while she finishes another person (not all the time though).

I want to get a blow out and press. My hairstylist charges $45 for that. Are any of these hairstylists open on Mondays. Also, have you used any Rene Furterer products? 2 people today swore by it, for fast growth (rf80 and B complex). I'm thinking of buying it.

JLove74

1lboogie said:
I want to get a blow out and press. My hairstylist charges $45 for that. Are any of these hairstylists open on Mondays. Also, have you used any Rene Furterer products? 2 people today swore by it, for fast growth (rf80 and B complex). I'm thinking of buying it.

Judy charges $35 for blowout and is open on Mondays (10am). Never heard of Rene Furterer ....but I'm off to do a search :lol:

ETA: I just looked up the products, I've seen them in salons, but haven't heard any reviews.

1lboogie

1lboogie said:

Thanks again JLove!! I will def. add these hairdressers to my list. Right now I'm trying to figure out my hair type. I have looked through the hair type thread and some pics are not there.

caligirl

I really like Sheena at Portfolio salon on U Street. She is great with natural hair. She did my spiral set.

1lboogie

caligirl said:
I really like Sheena at Portfolio salon on U Street. She is great with natural hair. She did my spiral set.

Really? I love spiral sets too because of the convinience. How long is her wait time, usually? Do she have good prices too?

1lboogie

I also had a question about biotin pills. Do you need to change brands often? Currently, I'm using GNC womens Hair, Skin and Nails Formula. It seemed to be working at first, but then now I'm not sure it does. What to do???

jaded_faerie

How much did she charge you caligirl?

eta: just checked your album. Your hair looks beautiful!

Last edited:

caligirl

1lboogie said:
Really? I love spiral sets too because of the convinience. How long is her wait time, usually? Do she have good prices too?

I didn't have to wait for her at all. My appointment was at 7am on a Saturday. I left at around 2pm because I had to sit under the dryer for 2.5 hours.

caligirl

jaded_faerie said:
How much did she charge you caligirl?

eta: just checked your album. Your hair looks beautiful!

It costs me 70 bucks for the spiral set. Kind of expensive, but I was happy with the result.

glamazon386

caligirl said:

Finally someone who's been to Portfolio Salon in DC! I saw them listed on Miss Jessie's site. Caligirl, how was your experience there? What were the prices like? I need to get a trim as I still have a few relaxed pieces hanging on from when I BCed myself. Also can you buy the Miss Jessies products there?

JLove74

bmoreflyygirl said:
Finally someone who's been to Portfolio Salon in DC! I saw them listed on Miss Jessie's site. Caligirl, how was your experience there? What were the prices like? I need to get a trim as I still have a few relaxed pieces hanging on from when I BCed myself. Also can you buy the Miss Jessies products there?

Yes, you can buy the Curly Pudding there.

Since I'm a "salon whore", I went to Portfolio's ONCE - never again... I went there on recommendation from a friend whos been going to the owner, Clint, for 15 years. Here is the quick story: Appt was for 4pm, got there about 3:45, 4 other women waiting for Clint too! He was doing this one lady's hair - as slow as molasses. I asked him how long it will be & he said with the straighest face EVER: "Oh, girl, I prolly won't get to you until about 7!!!!!"

I got my bag and walked out...

I will say that my friends hair always looks really nice, she gets it "silkened". But he used lots of pomades, gels & sheen spray....

glamazon386

JLove74 said:
Yes, you can buy the Curly Pudding there.

Since I'm a "salon whore", I went to Portfolio's ONCE - never again... I went there on recommendation from a friend whos been going to the owner, Clint, for 15 years. Here is the quick story: Appt was for 4pm, got there about 3:45, 4 other women waiting for Clint too! He was doing this one lady's hair - as slow as molasses. I asked him how long it will be & he said with the straighest face EVER: "Oh, girl, I prolly won't get to you until about 7!!!!!"

I got my bag and walked out...

I will say that my friends hair always looks really nice, she gets it "silkened". But he used lots of pomades, gels & sheen spray....

Really? WOW! I would have left too! JLove, what were you going to get done that day? And why did your friends hair need all that stuff with the silkener? I thought that was what the silkener was for? To cut down on frizz and the amount of products needed to "tame" the hair? :confused:

JLove74

bmoreflyygirl said:
Really? WOW! I would have left too! JLove, what were you going to get done that day? And why did your friends hair need all that stuff with the silkener? I thought that was what the silkener was for? To cut down on frizz and the amount of products needed to "tame" the hair? :confused:

I was going to get silkening. My friend has a really short, choppy cut, and I think Clint is just product happy....:lol:

And don't get it twisted (for those that don't know) a silkener ain't nuthin' but a little flat iron, put in a marcel stove. Tryin' to give a fancy name to sumthin', old....:lachen: :lachen: It's a modern day press-n-curl - that's what Clint calls it...

glamazon386

JLove74 said:
I was going to get silkening. My friend has a really short, choppy cut, and I think Clint is just product happy....:lol:

And don't get it twisted (for those that don't know) a silkener ain't nuthin' but a little flat iron, put in a marcel stove. Tryin' to give a fancy name to sumthin', old....:lachen: :lachen: It's a modern day press-n-curl - that's what Clint calls it...

ohh!! I thought you meant silkener like that texturizer thing that curve does. I wanna get my twa straigtened and cut into a style that way if I wanna wear it straight it'll look like something. But I don't wanna go to just anybody.

Country gal

I don't go to any stylists anymore. I just do my hair at home because I got tired of the wait. What styles do you get at the salon? I do my own two strand twists.

gmaria

I don't know if Silver Spring would be to far but Gina Marshall at N Lo's is great. She does press and curls, and double strand twist, straw sets, and weaves... She really help's your hair to grow, and uses the best products on your hair that make it feel like silk. Your presss will look like you have a relaxer... She's from Cali and does not put all that greas in your hair. She get's you out in 45 min...Try her out...

Oh and she does the eyelash extensions that the celebrities wear...

kweenameena

Chu Chu (the ethiopian lady) did a weave on this lady I saw at Maggie Moo's and it was fierce and Clint will press the you-know-what out of your hair and make it look like you have a relaxer. I think they call it "silking" Not silkening with chemicals. I haven't gotten Clint to press my hair yet but my co worker went. I'm too scared that my hair won't revert since my hair is very fine. Good luck! oh both of these people are at Portfolio too!

kweenameena

ETA: I didn't see all of the other posts that already mentioned Clint and his silkening.

Bmore.....I don't think I would go for myself unless for a weave. They are just like an average salon except they are over-priced. But they do have Ms Jessie's products, even in the new smaller sizes. But don't go there looking for a salon to call home!:nono:

Curlz4Dayz

Hey ladies!! I just joined today!! Yippee!! And I have been reading a lot of reviews, browsing pages and the like...Caligirl, you've got it going on girl with the hair! It is absolutely gorgeous!!! I was recommended to go to Clint at Portfolio's on U street and now I'm not so sure.

I've been natural for 1 yr. and 3 months and my hair just recently came to a screeching halt on the growing tip! What's up with that!?!? I admit I was going to the Dominicans to get it straightened until I noticed breakage in certain areas of my hair (major disappointment). Now I'm trying to redeem myself and get it back on track. I at least keep it trimmed, deep condition it, have tried the Miss Jessie's products and just about every other product on the market and I'm at my wits end!

My hair is very in-between...it's not kninky enough yet not "good" either (thanks mom and dad) but when it's wet, my God it's super curly and ridiculously thick but when its straight, it's a whole 'nother ball game...Please! I need help! Any good stylists in the area, products, style ideas!? Help a sista out!!

P.S. That pic of me was taken last July fresh from the Dominicans.:wallbash:

MissRissa

yeah i think alot of us are hunting for the same thing. on a regular basis, the dominicans give me damage. gina in SS, too expensive for my reg salon. ladies, if yall have any more suggestions.

PeggyFair

I My appointment was at 7am on a Saturday. I left at around 2pm because I had to sit under the dryer for 2.5 hours.

Damn! That's 7 hours sitting in a salon! I don't even have the patience for that. Does it take that long to do your hair each time you go?

kweenameena

My coworker who went to clint was natural and got the silkening done. Pieces of her hair did not revert. And he was kinda attitude-y. I wouldn't recommend him to a natural head. The relaxed heads I know have no complaints because he's great for stretching if you have no problem with the amount of heat he uses. He uses minimal products so you'll end up leaving with a lot of swang!! That's the one good thing I can say!