: Invitation to touch black women's hair sparks protest

biznesswmn

Sorry if this has already been posted and also if its in the wrong forum ...

An "interactive public art exhibit" that invited passers-by to touch black women's hair sparked a backlash by other African-American women, who said it was a demeaning stunt.

A recent "interactive public art exhibit" in New York City that invited strangers to touch the hair of a group of black women in a park has caused a backlash, with many African-American women decrying the event as a demeaning stunt.

The event, organized by the black women’s hair-care website Un-ruly.com, hoped to open a conversation about the “tactile fascination with black hair,” Un-ruly founder Antonia Opiah wrote in a blog post announcing the event. It consisted of a handful of black women with various hairstyles holding signs reading, “You can touch my hair” in Manhattan’s busy Union Square Park. Many strangers accepted the invitation, stopping to talk to the women and feel their tresses.

The exhibition did spark conversation, but not in the way Opiah had expected. By the event’s second day, June 8, a group of black women had gathered to protest the display, holding signs with slogans such as “You cannot touch my hair” and “What’ll it be next . . . my butt?” Some took to Twitter and the blogosphere, comparing the spectacle to a petting zoo and saying it harkened to a time when African-Americans were used as attractions in freak shows in the United States and Europe.

Read entire article
(http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/invitation-to-touch-black-womens-hair-sparks-protests#tscptme)

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Yall know I agree with the sentiments of the protesters, but I don't agree with protesting it. What's the point? I am more like "Don't agree, but do you...it just can't be me."

KittyMeowMeow

Looking at the pictures of this, I just felt embarrassed for everyone who was there. Those part of the "exhibit", those feeling their hair, the people who decided to dignify the event by showing up to protest it, and even to some extent the people taking pictures of it.

It was that awkward.

Last edited:

kcbelle925

I was supposed to go to check it out, but wasn't able to. For me it was simply out of curiosity not that I agreed with what they were doing or against it. It's their bodies and hair, they can do what they want. I was going to stand so far from it that no one would even guess I was there to see it. I saw a few pictures posted by Curly Girl Collective on Instagram. There was a protester who had a sign that said No you cannot touch my hair but you can kiss my axx. That I thought was funny and unnecessary. If you don't agree with it then keep on moving on. No one is forcing you to do it.