is blowdrying really the enemy?

LyCall

You're only using the cool setting?! You're fine, though I think that if you are "rough drying" properly, you might want to consider starting out at medium heat to about 75% dry and then finishing with cool setting from there.

That's good you are using the GHD on large sections of hair, and just one pass. That flat iron gets pretty hot. But it sounds like you are using it correctly.

In case you're worried, just use a reconstructor like K-pak or Aphogee 2 min every few weeks and you'll be fine. Depends on your hair texture though (if your strands are a fine medium or coarse).

HTH

Thank you Artemis! I will try rough drying on medium maybe as cool does take a little longer too :) I had actually just done an aphogee treatment, so glad i got confirmation on that!
My strands are actually quite thick however i dont have very dense hair, there isnt much of it, that is why i preferred the blow drying as it added volume also.
I also just got a steamer for my birthday today so im hoping that will help with the health of my hair if i do end up blowdrying more. :)

Artemis

Thank you Artemis! I will try rough drying on medium maybe as cool does take a little longer too :) I had actually just done an aphogee treatment, so glad i got confirmation on that!
My strands are actually quite thick however i dont have very dense hair, there isnt much of it, that is why i preferred the blow drying as it added volume also.
I also just got a steamer for my birthday today so im hoping that will help with the health of my hair if i do end up blowdrying more. :)

Yeah, with your coarse strands (thick) you'll need moisture so that steamer is a great choice. As long as the moisture content of the hair stays consistently high, you'll be fine. Blowdryer damage happens when hair that already has a too-low moisture and oil content is hit with the power of the air and too high of heat for the hair type, so you are preventing damage every time you condition and steam.

I also recommend you look into Paul Mitchell Super-charged treatment with the steamer. I don't have a steamer but I have used this product for years (when I was natural during undergrad, relaxed and now transitioning/natural again). Consistent use eradicates dryness :yep: Also, since your density isn't that thick, be sure to rinse any and all conditioners from your hair very thoroughly. You can get away with less amount of styling products when your condition game is tight (which means you get more volume and body in your finished style).

Last edited:

bgsix

Counteract your worries by using Nexxus Emergencee (see if you can get the professional version) or Joico K-pak every few weeks. Follow up with your best moisturizing deep conditioner and you're good to go. No worries :)

Depending on your hair texture (fine medium coarse, etc) medium heat on the blowdryer should be fine and not damaging at all. Flat iron temp seems fine as well.

Artemis has there always been two different versions of Emergencee? How does it differ & what does the bottle look like? Sorry for all the questions.

Artemis

Artemis has there always been two different versions of Emergencee? How does it differ & what does the bottle look like? Sorry for all the questions.

Yes, there have. The professional version is called Aloxxi Polymedic Emergency Reconstructor and looks like this:

With the Nexxus retailing venture, most of the products were re-formulated, so the Aloxxi is the original version. And at a more economical price, imo.

LyCall

Yeah, with your coarse strands (thick) you'll need moisture so that steamer is a great choice. As long as the moisture content of the hair stays consistently high, you'll be fine. Blowdryer damage happens when hair that already has a too-low moisture and oil content is hit with the power of the air and too high of heat for the hair type, so you are preventing damage every time you condition and steam.

I also recommend you look into Paul Mitchell Super-charged treatment with the steamer. I don't have a steamer but I have used this product for years (when I was natural during undergrad, relaxed and now transitioning/natural again). Consistent use eradicates dryness :yep: Also, since your density isn't that thick, be sure to rinse any and all conditioners from your hair very thoroughly. You can get away with less amount of styling products when your condition game is tight (which means you get more volume and body in your finished style).

Thank you again Artemis. Im about to buy some more products online so I will make sure to take a look at that super-charged treatment. :)