Is everybody going natural?

For me if the Hairlicious lady can have full, lush relaxed hair than it's possible.

There's an idea or an unspoken taken for fact that the only way to have healthy long hair is to go natural then texlax or natural for a year or so then relax again.
IMO that's a little bs for me.

I can finally tame and do my hair and very very little heat and stretching is doing wonders for my hair. I've always had healthy relaxed hair that never went past shoulder because I was busting out the curling iron and flat iron every more. Honestly every single morning because I like straight hair and my ends bumped under with body. That bumping kept sizzling them off.

Roller setting and stretching has grown my hair super fast and I'm going to keep doing that then switch to a sew in for up to 6 months then back and so forth.

I doubt Hairlicious will go natural so I just watch her head rather than the bandwagoners

Actually that's not true especially on this board. Theere are PLENTY or relaxed ladies here that have lush drool worthy hair... I dont think anyone in this day and age still equates relaxed hair to broken off hair... Not with all the knowledge we have about relaxed hair care.

People transition for many reasons... I'm currently transitioning but only because I grew my relaxed hair to WL, and wanted a new challenge. Also, I have a toddler that eats everything he comes across so I cleaned out my entire house of anything that can be potentially dangerous to him including relaxers... it was the perfect time for me too.. I lost most of my volume due to postpartum shedding. So I was in need of a major cut.

My point is, people are entitled to do what they please to their hair... I'm sure that there are just as many natural heads relaxing as there are relaxed heads transitioning ...

I'm going natural because I never had too much success with my relaxed hair. For reference, the hair the Britt is calling damaged and thinning (hers) is hair that I would have been elated to have. :lol: I just couldn't get past APL. Everytime, it started crinkling off. Once I got comfortable with my texture, I did a single six-month stretch and was like, Yeah, I'm good on perms. My natural hair is very cooperative. :shrug:

I went to an lhcf-recommended stylist once and she said I should go natural. At the time, I wasn't trynna hear her, lol. I couldn't even do a 3 mo. stretch- how was I supposed to deal with a whole head of natural hair. I may go back to her now. :giggle: :look: shouts to southerncitygirl

It def seems like everyone is either natural or going natural. IRL, I'm the only one at my job who still uses relaxers.

Me personally, I haven't made my decision yet if I wanna go natural. So until I decide, I've stopped relaxing.

It's funny because some people took offense but I'm actually relaxed. I've gone natural twice and probably won't do it again. I don't do long stretches but I do know how to finally get that swang the shop used to give me.
I don't wear fake hair anymore so it's just whatever I got. Now a lot of my friends have decided to go natchal and at one pointI was the only natural, now I'm the only relaxed head.

I'm really excited to see Traycees journey though. I know I wouldn't transition with HL relaxed hair

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

It does seem like everyone is going natural. I'm Happy even though I'm relaxed. I want natural to be the norm. I'm tired of seeing bald headed black people barely making a ponytail. If that's what they have to do to retain length do it. Unless you like and preferred short hair. My sis is going natural. I was thinking of doing it because I mimic a lot of natural styles but like that after I wash it's easier to detangle. But I'm not having a problem being relaxed

Last edited:
It does seem like everyone is going natural. I'm Happy even though I'm relaxed. I want natural to be the norm. I'm tired of seeing bald headed black people barely making a ponytail. If that's what they have to do to retain length do it. Unless you like and preferred short hair. My sis is going natural. I was thinking of doing it because I mimic a lot of natural styles but like that after I wash it's easier to friable. But I'm not having a problem being relaxed

What's "friable"?

My hair was to my relaxed tailbone and I went natural. People do things for different reasons. personally I don't follow trends and I enjoyed my relaxed hair and my natural hair. I now have the journey of getting it to waist because tail bone is to much. Speaking for myself this isn't the my first run being natural and if I feel like relaxing tomorrow I will, and with no worries at all.

For me, it was seeing all the beautiful thick hair, something I always aspired to... The journey was initially hard as I like ease, but the further along into journey I became excited as my texture is not hard to manage...

No more scabs, bald spots due to perming... :grin: plus, big curly hair suits me...

I don't see myself going natural anytime soon.

For me, its not about making a decision, its like doing with JJamiah said and doing what I want. I feel that if I can stretch 4 months, 6 months, a year, I will, but if I wanted to relax right now being only 12 weeks post, I would. To me it doesn't matter. Ive been doing pretty good so far and I want to keep it up regardless to how it is done. I give my reasons for texlaxing, but because I blog and know some ladies look at that option and ask me questions, I like to explain my reason for guidance and not acceptance. You want to go natural, go natural. We have beautiful hair and we should stop hiding it. Don't give a reason, just do what you want and don't feel like you are being scorned or accepted for doing it.

I'm going natural because I never had too much success with my relaxed hair. For reference, the hair the @Britt is calling damaged and thinning (hers) is hair that I would have been elated to have. :lol: I just couldn't get past APL. Everytime, it started crinkling off. Once I got comfortable with my texture, I did a single six-month stretch and was like, Yeah, I'm good on perms. My natural hair is very cooperative. :shrug:

I went to an lhcf-recommended stylist once and she said I should go natural. At the time, I wasn't trynna hear her, lol. I couldn't even do a 3 mo. stretch- how was I supposed to deal with a whole head of natural hair. I may go back to her now. :giggle: :look: shouts to @southerncitygirl

LOLLL! Awww thank you :hug2:

I don't see myself going natural anytime soon.

For me, its not about making a decision, its like doing with JJamiah said and doing what I want. I feel that if I can stretch 4 months, 6 months, a year, I will, but if I wanted to relax right now being only 12 weeks post, I would. To me it doesn't matter. Ive been doing pretty good so far and I want to keep it up regardless to how it is done. I give my reasons for texlaxing, but because I blog and know some ladies look at that option and ask me questions, I like to explain my reason for guidance and not acceptance. You want to go natural, go natural. We have beautiful hair and we should stop hiding it. Don't give a reason, just do what you want and don't feel like you are being scorned or accepted for doing it.

I have no intentions of going natural. I just noticed that most of the main bloggers I follow are transitioning and did a post about it.

I just came from the land of natural. It was fun for a while, but it was too much work. In real life, I see naturals here and there, but most people are relaxed.

Im natural due to a relaxer making me shed way too much and losing my thickness. If that hadnt happened, I would be relaxed still. My texture is weird and inconsistent. A lot of work. When school and work pick back up, idk what im gonna do lol. Its time consuming but very pretty

I have no intentions of going natural. I just noticed that most of the main bloggers I follow are transitioning and did a post about it.

No I'm not saying anything against you. But the post did depress me. I didn't know so many people were taking the plunge. I was dedicated to them the beginning of my journey. They helped me a lot. Especially tracee and short2sweet

I'm not natural. I love my relaxed hair. I do the same exact stuff to my relaxed hair that naturals do to their hair and I have healthy relaxed strands.

I agree. I have learned a lot from this site. I have healthy relaxed hair. In fact, this is the healthiest my hair has been. I get relaxed every 6 to 7 weeks, and I condition wash daily. I learned about condition washing from this site along with so many other healthy hair practices.
I have seen some unhealthy natural hair since it seems that so many people are doing it. If you are not careful you can jack up natural hair the same way you can jack up relaxed hair.
I have a lot of respect and admiration for those of you who have decided to make that transition, however I prefer to relax my hair. But I have learned a lot from this site and I am grateful for it.

Last edited:
No I'm not saying anything against you. But the post did depress me. I didn't know so many people were taking the plunge. I was dedicated to them the beginning of my journey. They helped me a lot. Especially tracee and short2sweet

Exactly. I love following relaxed hair bloggers and vloggers. They are a big chunk of my blogs. Especially Ebony. I'm going to miss her blogs. I could still follow of course, but it's just not the same.

I agree. I have learned a lot from this site. I have healthy relaxed hair. In fact, this is the healthiest my hair has been. I get relaxed every 6 to 7 weeks, and I condition wash daily. I learned about condition washing from this site along with so many other healthy hair practices.
I have seen some unhealthy natural hair since it seems that so many people are doing it. If you are not careful you can jack up natural hair the same way you can jack up relaxed hair.
I have a lot of respect and admiration for those of you who have decided to make that transition, however I prefer to relax my hair. But I have learned a lot from this site and I am grateful for it.

I also notice a lot of people who never had a relaxed hair regimen and then go natural and when their hair thrives, blame relaxing. :perplexed

Ladies, this is starting to sound like a good business opportunity for relaxed heads that have the following: healthy hair, great elocution, a decent camera, and video editing skills, :yep: Oh, I almost forgot desire and time.

I also notice a lot of people who never had a relaxed hair regimen and then go natural and when their hair thrives, blame relaxing. :perplexed
But what else would be cause of burning... no matter the strength, Lol... Chie a texturizer still gave me scabs... sorry... :perplexed

It just was not the best choice for my hair... I had a great stylist, but again no matter what was done, waiting , no scratching, somehow someway the would be an issue...

I naturally have then but cery curly hair that if blow dred and flat ironed would give needed straight stle.. why go through that effort, money and time when you can do it yourself

BY FAR not knocking perms, I have seen thick hair and I just think, umm no way I would at least texturizer that bad boy, but with my family most if not ALL girl have no edges, I am good stopping well I am ahead.... LMAO, and yalll think naomi bad, I never comment as I see it in real life... :lol:

I had my last hair relaxer 10 years ago. I never started relaxing my hair by choice, and I didn't transition by choice either. Everyone was always making hair decisions for me. Family members used to fight over what should be done to my hair.

Having natural hair for so long now, and as an adult having control over my own hair, I don't even think about relaxers or straightening anymore. My hair just is what it is however it grows and I love it.

I would love to see natural hair become the norm, honestly. It would be just so, so amazing to see all these women walking around with big fluffy hair, or twists and other styles. I'm glad I went natural when I did, because when I did there really weren't many people walking around with TWAS, now I see them twas everywhere. It's a step.

My hair is very thick and even when I had a relaxer people could tell, it was so thick/full it looked like a wig. If I want the straight look I just straighten now and it's the same effect except it's not permanent. If people want to relax though that is their choice. I had no idea at the time when I was still relaxing that I was actually stretching. I'd never go back though. Natural hair is just easy once you get the hang of it, same with relaxers really.

Well I am thinking about going back to relaxed, so:look:

think very well. i was natural 6 years, i relaxed in november 2013. i am now 5 months post, and have been stretching but im liking my natural texture and missing it so i think im back transitionning :-/ crazy huh?! lol its just hair anyway....

i also have fine hair and when relaxed its not pleasing me like i want... the stylist must have used Wrong relaxer to virgin relax: screwed it all up...

I'm relaxed and have been for many years. I love my relaxed hair (most days). One day I would love to know my natural hair and when I think I'm ready to make that leap, a fresh touch up and a trim/cut makes me fall back in love and everything becomes right with the world. So for now, I shall remain relaxed.

MileHighDiva -- blogging takes up a lot of time! You said that right.

But what else would be cause of burning... no matter the strength, Lol... Chie a texturizer still gave me scabs... sorry... :perplexed

It just was not the best choice for my hair... I had a great stylist, but again no matter what was done, waiting , no scratching, somehow someway the would be an issue...

I naturally have then but cery curly hair that if blow dred and flat ironed would give needed straight stle.. why go through that effort, money and time when you can do it yourself

BY FAR not knocking perms, I have seen thick hair and I just think, umm no way I would at least texturizer that bad boy, but with my family most if not ALL girl have no edges, I am good stopping well I am ahead.... LMAO, and yalll think naomi bad, I never comment as I see it in real life... :lol:

I didn't say anything about burning. I see a lot of people saying their hair wouldn't grow with a relaxer but they didn't have a regimen. My hair used to break and thin when I got shoulder length, but I was relaxing every 4 weeks on the dot. Now my relaxed hair is thriving because I have a regimen.

Back