Is HENNA really worth it?

Is Henna Really Worth It?

• Yes, I am natural and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 117 15.5%
  • No, I am natural and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 16 2.1%
  • Yes, I am relaxed and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 131 17.4%
  • No, I am relaxed and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 24 3.2%
  • I dont know. I have never used henna.

Votes: 465 61.8%

• Total voters
Henna Sooq said:
Naphy, you can start with a henna application. Did you get intructions with your purchase? If you did follow those.

Khadija

Yes, I received some instructions, but I thought that the recipes here were better :ohwell:
Ok, so I'm gonna henna tomorrow !
But I don't have any camera for the moment :mad:

its sounds great, but to be honest i wont be using henna.

i hear it doesnt last too long etc.

i would rather use bigen, permanent. its good for the hair. (my momma uses it - shes relaxed).

its a nice healthy alternative (henna) but i'm (as u know) very lazy with my hair, and i would have to wait for my hair to dry after using henna, and then comb it out (no doubt it'll be tangly) i dont comb my hair at all after washing. so i think it would be a problem 4 me.

maybe in the future

Henna is also a good alternative for those of us that are allergic to products like Bigen, permanent.

Candy_C said:

i would rather use bigen, permanent. its good for the hair. (my momma uses it - shes relaxed).

its a nice healthy alternative (henna) but i'm (as u know) very lazy with my hair, and i would have to wait for my hair to dry after using henna, and then comb it out (no doubt it'll be tangly) i dont comb my hair at all after washing. so i think it would be a problem 4 me.

maybe in the future

Candy_C said:

maybe in the future

Why do think henna doesn't last long? Its permanent. If you have greys, as your hair grows, you'll have to reapply just like with any other hair color. I love henna. Also, why do you think you'd have to change your regular wash/condition regimen if you use henna? I normally shampoo my hair and then apply my henna concoction for a deep condition/hair color. I leave it on for an hour or two and then jump in the shower and rinse it out. I use NTM conditioner as a final rinse and my hair is already detangled, silky and shining. I get out of the shower put my leave in with my fingers and then airdry and that's it. I'm not telling you to use henna but I just wanted to let you know that you really don't have to do anything much different from what you would do on any other wash day. I don't even deep condition after using henna because I always put a moisturizing conditioner and some essential oils in my henna mix so I'm killing two birds with one stone.

P.S. Your hair is just beautiful so ya probably should stick to what's already working for ya.:grin:

Cayenne0622 said:
Why do think henna doesn't last long? Its permanent. If you have greys, as your hair grows, you'll have to reapply just like with any other hair color. I love henna. Also, why do you think you'd have to change your regular wash/condition regimen if you use henna? I normally shampoo my hair and then apply my henna concoction for a deep condition/hair color. I leave it on for an hour or two and then jump in the shower and rinse it out. I use NTM conditioner as a final rinse and my hair is already detangled, silky and shining. I get out of the shower put my leave in with my fingers and then airdry and that's it. I'm not telling you to use henna but I just wanted to let you know that you really don't have to do anything much different from what you would do on any other wash day. I don't even deep condition after using henna because I always put a moisturizing conditioner and some essential oils in my henna mix so I'm killing two birds with one stone.

P.S. Your hair is just beautiful so ya probably should stick to what's already working for ya.:grin:

thanks for clarifying it for me...hmmmm

so, do you just do henna, or henna AND indigo??

thats the thing you see, i want to know how my hair will turn out b4 doing it, and plus, the phrase if it aint broke dont fix it comes to mind.

i want a good colour, preferabley jet black, and i guess i would have to do the henna and indigo together as the indigo will fade??

Candyxx

if you want that jet shiny black then yes you will have to do indigo, and it does fade. But if you simply want it darker and not necessarily jet black, the indigo is not needed. But Im wondering if I can add a clear gloss over the hair after I apply it to lock in the indigo so it wont fade as fast? (thinking to myself) But as someone said a lot of people do henna solely for the conditioning properties than the actual dye effects, if anything I think its an added bonus :yep:. I have some but Im too lazy to do my first application. Ill wait till the hot blazing summer when I can do it in the privacy of my backyard without worrying about the mess :lol:

Ayeshia said:
if you want that jet shiny black then yes you will have to do indigo, and it does fade. But if you simply want it darker and not necessarily jet black, the indigo is not needed. But Im wondering if I can add a clear gloss over the hair after I apply it to lock in the indigo so it wont fade as fast? (thinking to myself) But as someone said a lot of people do henna solely for the conditioning properties than the actual dye effects, if anything I think its an added bonus :yep:. I have some but Im too lazy to do my first application. Ill wait till the hot blazing summer when I can do it in the privacy of my backyard without worrying about the mess :lol:

I have found that it's not that messes. I make mine to be about what cake batter would be. I am sitting here right now with it on my hair. I didn't measure anything but I used henna, alma power, cocanut oil, alma oil and VO5 conditioner and a little water and stirred. The last time I use a relaxer brush on dry hair but this time I used my glove hands on freshly water, towel dried hair. I will see which one is better.

Hello Everybody,

First I would just like to say that I am new here and this forum is fab-u-lous!!! :yep:

I was just looking around on here and found out about henna. I read some post and decided to try it myself. Well....I am so glad I did. It made my hair so shiny and the color is great. My hair is also soft and feels like it is better condition than before. I did half henna and half indigo with some amla powder. The tips you ladies have on here worked great. I will definately henna again! :)

Welcome to the forums Caramelpina !! Glad to hear about your experience.

MY father used Bigen hair dye for a long time. I don't see how Bigen hair dye is a "healthy alternative" to using henna. Bigen is a chemical and is still just like any other hair dye, am I wrong? Because that is exactly the stuff they use to make black henna when they put it on your body for body art (temp. tattoos) and I had some done a LONG time ago and it made me break out in a huge rash. So I can't see the benefits but I do totaly understand what you are saying about the fading. It does happen but you just redo your hair when the time comes and use the two step method of doing henn and indigo for best results. Add a bit of salt to the indigo to help it cling better and last longer.

brownsugarflyygirl said:
I am definitely a newbie to the henna world...so hopefully someone else will chime in....but here is what I have learned from the henna threads....

I am not sure what you mean by colour damage....but my understanding is that quality henna has conditioning qualities that BENEFIT your hair, it is unlike commercial dyes that penetrate your hair shaft and cause damage....henna only coats it.

You can get color results from both henna and indigo - henna you are more likely to get reddish brown highlights - indigo darkens your hair towards black - if you use both you end up somewhere in between

I also understand that the coloring from henna is permanent - some people experience slight bleeding but the overall effect is long term - you have to grow it out or cut it like any other color

HTH

:confused:So, what happens if I want to color my hair later with a semi permanent or permanent color? or if I have already colored with a permanent dye? will henna do any harm to my hair?

Thanks in advanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsugarflyygirl
I am definitely a newbie to the henna world...so hopefully someone else will chime in....but here is what I have learned from the henna threads....

I am not sure what you mean by colour damage....but my understanding is that quality henna has conditioning qualities that BENEFIT your hair, it is unlike commercial dyes that penetrate your hair shaft and cause damage....henna only coats it.

You can get color results from both henna and indigo - henna you are more likely to get reddish brown highlights - indigo darkens your hair towards black - if you use both you end up somewhere in between

I also understand that the coloring from henna is permanent - some people experience slight bleeding but the overall effect is long term - you have to grow it out or cut it like any other color

HTH

:confused:So, what happens if I want to color my hair later with a semi permanent or permanent color? or if I have already colored with a permanent dye? will henna do any harm to my hair?

Thanks in advanced

la flaca said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsugarflyygirl

HTH

Thanks in advanced

Hey laflaca! I have put both semipermenent and permenent dye over my BAQ henna. I did this prior to receiving my indigo with no adverse affects. I would by far suggest indigo for beautiful NATURAL looking black hair. :naughty: No more commercial dye for me.............except for maybe that bottle of Adore purple haze that still hanging out under my cabinet....:look: :grin:

HERicane10 said:
Hey laflaca! I have put both semipermenent and permenent dye over my BAQ henna. I did this prior to receiving my indigo with no adverse affects. I would by far suggest indigo for beautiful NATURAL looking black hair. :naughty: No more commercial dye for me.............except for maybe that bottle of Adore purple haze that still hanging out under my cabinet....:look: :grin:

Thanks a lot Hericane, I am gonna try henna but I also love the dark honey/caramel colors (I know, I know and hilights included:eek: ) I can get for the summer from commercial dyes.

I am glad to know I could go back to comercial dye if want to;)

la flaca said:
Thanks a lot Hericane, I am gonna try henna but I also love the dark honey/caramel colors (I know, I know and hilights included:eek: ) I can get for the summer from commercial dyes.

I am glad to know I could go back to comercial dye if want to;)

Restating this, because it is VERY important. Be certain you use BAQ, and not compound henna.

carameldiva said:
What if anything do you add to your henna? hot water, ground amalaki powder, Fo-ti powder, ground cloves, red wine, honey

I am planning to apply my first henna sometime this week. I have been taking notes on the different ingredients some ladies add to their henna mixes.

What is the red wine for? Color? Just curious :)

Also, for those of you who use yogurt, what brand or type of yogurt do you use?

Last edited:
As for yoghurt most try to use a full fat yoghurt. It helps it not be so drying and does the scalp real good.

The red wine is for the reddish color to help bring out more red tones from the henna.

Yes BAQ all the way ! Just to be safest.

I haven't used Henna or cassia in over a month and I can tell. :(

I need to do a treatment THIS WEEKEND!

Henna Sooq, I always use yogurt, but I use the non fat. I will try the full fat one this weekend.

I've been using Casia and will try my first henna treatment next week. Can I use casia over my henna for maintenance until time to reapply the color? My plan is to henna for color every 10 weeks (after my relaxer) and cassia 2-3 times in between the henna. Is this ok?

The company that makes Jamila henna powder is a very reputable and reliable company so any henna of theirs is pure and 100% natural, and in other words body art quality. The only difference is they have hair quality henna and body art henna. This difference is only the sift because they use the best of the henna plant for their products.
So I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is labelled Jamila henna. The best quality of Jamila is the one labelled summer 2006 on the bottom of the package. Jamila 2007 is coming out first week of July.

Also I will be doing some travelling in July to the USA. We will be going through Laurel, MD, then to South Boston, VA, then Atlanta, GA, and lastly Spring Hill, FL. In MD and GA we will only be there for a day as it is a our resting spot.

Wow this is a looong thread!!

I love henna so I answered the questionnaire anyway. Here's my take on it.

What brand of Henna do you use? Where do you get it?

I don't have any packets with me - but its Indian. I get it at an Indian shop. The packets are stamped with harvest date. Fresher is better. Same year's harvest is the best.

How often do you do your treatments?

Usually every 4-6 weeks but sometimes I'll let it slide for 2 months.

What if anything do you add to your henna?

Apple cider vinegar and water.

What benefits have you seen in your hair?

Strength, smoothness (of hair shaft), shine, and a beautiful red glow.

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments?

I've used it on and off for over 20 years but I started using regularly 3 years.

What is your hair type?

Type 4 something. I don't really fit in the Andre categories so basically just garden variety African hair.

Do you have any additional henna info that you think is helpful?

Less than 3 hours = excellent conditioning treatment.

3 hours or more for color. Color is a glowy undertone not the overtone as we're used to seeing with other chemical dyes.

Using it is no hassle. I put it in on a "spa saturday" rinse it out 3 hours later and I'm good to go. If you don't have a saturday a.m. to spare then do it at night while watching a movie - or wrap your head up well and sleep in it.

Henna Sooq,

After reading ALL 30 pages of this thread, I have some questions as I'm kind of a clear cut to the point gal:

I am a 4A relaxed dark brown. I want henna to enrich my color and also provide henna's shine/strengthening properties:

1. How much Henna and Indigo should I purchase from you?
2. How much is needed per application?
3. I live in Italy with a military FPO mailing address located in NY, so will there be any shipping problems?
4. If I want to prevent dryness, can I add Vatika or Shakakai oil to the mixture?
5. Do I have to add acid vinegar or can I just use water?
6. Do I need to mix each separately then combine? How long should I allow time for sitting?

I prefer to only do business with top retailers, which is why I chose your store as opposed to other retailer, as you seem have a plethora of advice and knowledge regarding henna. Provided the henna treatment meets my expectations I will always a faithful customer.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I just posted a site for you to read up on Henna. It is very informative. Not a lot of reading. there is a lot of pics to look at too. For those of you that have questions about what to add to the henna, how much of this and that to get the color you want, what your hair will look for if you just use Indigo alone, etc.

Please read. You can even print out to keep. It is a PDF file.

Hope this helps!

http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/hennaforhair.pdf Start at page 18.

Back