Is HENNA really worth it?

Is Henna Really Worth It?

• Yes, I am natural and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 117 15.5%
  • No, I am natural and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 16 2.1%
  • Yes, I am relaxed and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 131 17.4%
  • No, I am relaxed and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 24 3.2%
  • I dont know. I have never used henna.

Votes: 465 61.8%

• Total voters
I did my first henna last night. That's it. I'm a henna head for life. My hair is so shiny and full of life! My ends don't look see through any more (from the braids) my color didn't change much but they say it takes a couple of days for it to oxidize (not sure what that means, get darker or lighter) I'm most impressed with the shine and feel. I need weight for my fine little cat fir hairs. This does the trick! Oh my grays look like a deep burgandy wine color, love that!

I used that Motions Moisture Oil Conditioner because it was in my cabinet and I have to get rid of it (Mineral Oil is one of the first ingrediants) My hair feels soft!!! I can't wait to do it again!

Oh I forgot to mention, I'm under processed so I have a curly fro when I wash my hair. The frizziness was gone! Gone I tell you!!!

:love:Henna:love:

Last edited:
brownsugarflyygirl said:
It has taken me 6-months on LHCF to solidify my products and then simplify my regimen. I am now fully natural and my hair is thriving. I am SUPER hesitant to add anything to my regimen....BUT this Henna thing sounds really good but REALLY complicated...People are mixing up coffee, honey, rosewater, ordering from this place and that...It just seems like too much :ohwell:

So I want to know IS HENNA REALLY WORTH ALL THE HASSLE??:confused:

Also, please share info about your Henna regimens....

What brand of Henna do you use? Where do you get it?
I have henna'ed twice - once with Jamila, once with Dulhan

How often do you do your treatments?
Will newly be added to my regimen (Considering every two weeks in the winter, every 6 in the winter)

What if anything do you add to your henna?
First I did senna tea, geranium EO and ACV, last night, I did conditioner, honey, and water
What benefits have you seen in your hair?
Strength, softer hair, comb-able ends (were very dry), Sheen like you wouldn't believe, pretty red tint, moisture, a tad less shrinkage but not a loss of texture
How long have you been doing Henna Treatments?
(Twice from September to present)
What is your hair type?
4a natural
Do you have any additional henna info that you think is helpful?
I tried Mizani Mrs's method (mix w/ co for 30 min, leave in for 30 min). I co washed out with suave coconut, and got it all out with not prob. Don't add too much water (it will drip all over). Saran wrap your hair after application. Apply over the tub and rinse in the tub (easy clean-up for me). It's a keeper!!!!!

Thanks in advance ladies:)

Answers throughout text:)

I'm interested in the fading / running aspect of it too because I workout in a white uniform for Taekwondo, so that might be a problem because I sweat like a dog. I will start tying my hair up, not cute but orange stains on my uniform wouldn't be either would it! :eek:

Well I have never tried henna, though I am dying to. My beautician, who is Dominican..told me that her mother Henna'ed her hair and it all fell out! Now she has me worried about using it.:eek:

What that person used probably isn't pure henna.

ynvme said:
Well I have never tried henna, though I am dying to. My beautician, who is Dominican..told me that her mother Henna'ed her hair and it all fell out! Now she has me worried about using it.:eek:

SohoHair said:
I'm trying to decide whether to go with Cassia or Henna/Indigo. Ladies who henna, do you notice the color coming off on your clothes, towels, pillowcases at all? That's my biggest worry because I know my grandma used to henna her hair and she said her pillowcases always got a faint red tinge, :perplexed . I know it's supposed to fade but i don't want it fading all over my stuff!

No answers to this?

brownsugarflyygirl said:
It has taken me 6-months on LHCF to solidify my products and then simplify my regimen. I am now fully natural and my hair is thriving. I am SUPER hesitant to add anything to my regimen....BUT this Henna thing sounds really good but REALLY complicated...People are mixing up coffee, honey, rosewater, ordering from this place and that...It just seems like too much :ohwell:

So I want to know IS HENNA REALLY WORTH ALL THE HASSLE??:confused:
I think its worth it. You don't have to do all the stuff some of the other ladies are doing. A lot of us just like experimenting. I found that keeping it simple its good for me.

Jamila (hennaforhair.com)
Twice a month
Amla powder, Indigo (I don't want super red hair), Pectic or Citric Acid, Evoo.
Thicker strands...stronger strands. Nice pretty dark color brown, grey strands dark red.
I've only done one and saw all of those benefits. I'm doing another one with weekend.
What is your hair type?
4a/b - medium fine strands
Do you have any additional henna info that you think is helpful?
No really. VW Vixxen, Sareca and a few other ladies are the experts here.

Good luck!!!

I haven't experienced any bleeding or fading from my henna treatment. When I did the treatment, I based (with petroleum) around the entire parameter of my head and then tied wrap strips around the same area in case the henna concoction did any running. I didn't have any problems. I covered with saran wrap and a plastic cap and sat under the dryer for an hour and then rinsed out. I could tell it made my hair thicker. I really like it alot. Just talking about it has me ready to do my next application NOW!! :D

I:love: henna!

P.S I was very nervous and scared at first. Sareca calmed my nerves. She told me not to leave it on longer than an hour the first time around. I'll probably do it the same way next time too. I couldn't believe it dyed my little fine gray hairs after just being on my hair for an hour. I don't know why I have the few grays that I have but I'm glad to have something that'll control them..........besides me yanking them out.:lachen:

Cayenne0622 said:
I'm glad to have something that'll control them..........besides me yanking them out.:lachen:

Me to child, mine are in the front too, I can't be yankin nutthin out up there !! Mine came out a pretty deep burgandy!! I love it!

:grin:

AtlantaJJ said:
Me to child, mine are in the front too, I can't be yankin nutthin out up there !! Mine came out a pretty deep burgandy!! I love it!

:grin:

I am puller also.

I believe Henna is definitely worth it. The thing I like most about it, is that my hair is just going to improve with every treatment. I also like the fact that I can change my hair color whenever I want.

Jamila from henna sooq

How often do you do your treatments? I plan to do it every two weeks.

Pectin, Indigo, Amla Powder, Citric Acid, EVOO, and 24k oil

I noticed immediately that it seemed to have loosened my coils. My hair seems thicker and is definitely stronger!

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments? Yesterday was my first time.

What is your hair type? 4b or a 4a, not sure.

I believe Henna is definitely worth it. Especially for those ladies with thin hair. I've tried everyrhing to thicken my hair for over a year and I had 2 henna treatment so far and there's a noticeable thickness to my hair. It is a lot of work to me but it's worth it and I'm doing evry 2 weeks because of the hassle.

Jamila from hennaforhair

How often do you do your treatments? every two weeks.

Pectin, Indigo, Amla Powder, Citric Acid, coconut oil

My hair seems thicker and is definitely stronger!

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments? It's been a little over a month. I had 2 treatment so far and plan on another one this coming Friday.

What is your hair type? 4a - thin

Thanks ladies for your replies....after reading the responses and a couple other Henna threads I think that I am going to try it. Here are the benefits that motivated me:

Scalp - My hair loves my regimen but sometimes I feel like my scalp is not completely satisfied with it :ohwell: ...it still gets kinda itchy...I read that people saw good scalp benefits....and I feel thats whats missing in my regimen right now

Shine - As 4a unstraightened/unstretched natural, I have achieved a very nice sheen but sometimes due to my tight coil pattern my hair can get dull - I want a little more natural sheen (non-product enhanced)

So I am going to keep it basic and use Cassia & Amla Powder mixed with coconut or olive oil & water once a month.

I am a little dissapointed at the cost...its going to be about $30 total to order 100g of each from henna for hair...so I hope its really worth it. I was getting really excited at the $1.49 packets etc. that I was seeing... I probably wont be starting for a couple of months...maybe Jan. 2007 as a good starting point...so I have a little more time to look for a bargain....but anyways

Thanks ladies for helping me come to a decision...:D

brownsugarflyygirl said:
Thanks ladies for your replies....after reading the responses and a couple other Henna threads I think that I am going to try it. Here are the benefits that motivated me:

Scalp - My hair loves my regimen but sometimes I feel like my scalp is not completely satisfied with it :ohwell: ...it still gets kinda itchy...I read that people saw good scalp benefits....and I feel thats whats missing in my regimen right now

Shine - As 4a unstraightened/unstretched natural, I have achieved a very nice sheen but sometimes due to my tight coil pattern my hair can get dull - I want a little more natural sheen (non-product enhanced)

So I am going to keep it basic and use Cassia & Amla Powder mixed with coconut or olive oil & water once a month.

I am a little dissapointed at the cost...its going to be about $30 total to order 100g of each from henna for hair...so I hope its really worth it. I was getting really excited at the $1.49 packets etc. that I was seeing... I probably wont be starting for a couple of months...maybe Jan. 2007 as a good starting point...so I have a little more time to look for a bargain....but anyways

Thanks ladies for helping me come to a decision...:D

Are there any Indian stores in your area? I would never have tried amla and henna if not for my local store. I get amla for $1.99 for 3.5 oz and Dulhan Deluxe Heena Powder for $1.49 for 3.5oz. www.fromnaturewithlove.com has amla powder for $14.00 per lb and henna for less than $7.00 per lb.

What effects have those who have previously coloured their hair had? Im soooo scared to put henna on my hair for fear of anymore colour damage? or is that just the indigo mix? Are the colour results permament?

So I want to know IS HENNA REALLY WORTH ALL THE HASSLE??

What brand of Henna do you use?

Where do you get it?
hennaforhair.com

just started two days ago

water, lemon juice (I will never do that again), amla oil, olive oil

shiny, softer texture

just started two days ago

What is your hair type?
thick, curly, kinky 3b, 3c and 4a.

tenderheaded said:
Are there any Indian stores in your area? I would never have tried amla and henna if not for my local store. I get amla for $1.99 for 3.5 oz and Dulhan Deluxe Heena Powder for $1.49 for 3.5oz. www.fromnaturewithlove.com has amla powder for $14.00 per lb and henna for less than $7.00 per lb.

Yep...there are indian stores nearby...I am just really paranoid about getting low quality henna:cool: ....but I will probably start there... $5 sounds a lot better than $30.. Hopefully I can find cassia there...I dont want to use regular henna and risk changing my hair color

KissKiss said:
What effects have those who have previously coloured their hair had? Im soooo scared to put henna on my hair for fear of anymore colour damage? or is that just the indigo mix? Are the colour results permament?

I am definitely a newbie to the henna world...so hopefully someone else will chime in....but here is what I have learned from the henna threads....

I am not sure what you mean by colour damage....but my understanding is that quality henna has conditioning qualities that BENEFIT your hair, it is unlike commercial dyes that penetrate your hair shaft and cause damage....henna only coats it.

You can get color results from both henna and indigo - henna you are more likely to get reddish brown highlights - indigo darkens your hair towards black - if you use both you end up somewhere in between

I also understand that the coloring from henna is permanent - some people experience slight bleeding but the overall effect is long term - you have to grow it out or cut it like any other color

HTH

brownsugarflyygirl said:
Yep...there are indian stores nearby...I am just really paranoid about getting low quality henna:cool: ....but I will probably start there... $5 sounds a lot better than $30.. Hopefully I can find cassia there...I dont want to use regular henna and risk changing my hair color
Both Metiza and Vixxen shop the local markets for Indian products. You can always pm them for the brands they buy.

I started out with amla powder first. It is supposed the thicken and make the hair darker.

brownsugarflyygirl said:

Is cassia as good as henna and do you get the same benifits? I do not want to change my hair color. If I was going to do anything I would use indigo because my husband loves my black hair but I don't really want to do that yet because I don't have very many greys. But while you are replying, is indigo as good as henna and do you get the same benifits?

Thanks

smitmarv said:
Is cassia as good as henna and do you get the same benifits? I do not want to change my hair color. If I was going to do anything I would use indigo because my husband loves my black hair but I don't really want to do that yet because I don't have very many greys. But while you are replying, is indigo as good as henna and do you get the same benifits?

Thanks

From what I have read and understand, cassia obvata(?) is just as good as the henna leaf. Cassia is considered to be the clear or neutral version of henna (even though its a different plant)...so you have the conditioning benefits with out the color. I have never used either...so I can only speak from the experience of others. Due to the fact that I didnt want to change my color, I concluded that this would be the best route for me to go. HTH

brownsugarflyygirl said:
From what I have read and understand, cassia obvata(?) is just as good as the henna leaf. Cassia is considered to be the clear or neutral version of henna (even though its a different plant)...so you have the conditioning benefits with out the color. I have never used either...so I can only speak from the experience of others. Due to the fact that I didnt want to change my color, I concluded that this would be the best route for me to go. HTH

Here's my 2 cents. :D I tried Rainbow henna that every says bad things about. I tried the "neutral" one. My hair felt so good afterwards.

I then tried cassia that I bought from HFH alone w/o anything else and it honestly did not give me the same benefits as the Rainbow henna.

I used cassia once aweek for about a month and I never got that WOW that I got after using Rainbow Henna once. Maybe it was overkill, but it made me realize that Cassia, although nice, just is not as good. I have yet to try pure henna w/o any cassia or indigo or anything mixed in, even though I have a bag of henna and indigo sitting here calling out to be used . I am sure I will be WOWed by that. I am just hesitant because I don't want the color change.

At the same time, I don't need to dye my hair right now and I don't feel like dealing with the messy indigo. I don't know - all the henna products that everyone says are not real have been great for me. I have a bag of henna and indigo at home just waiting to be used.

Thanks Brownsugarflyygirl. Does anyone know about indigo, do you need to mix it to make it conditioning?

I don't know if this question has already been asked but what about hennalucent? I found a box of neutral hennalucent in my pj stash and I'm concidering using it as my first trial run.

godzooki said:
I don't know if this question has already been asked but what about hennalucent? I found a box of neutral hennalucent in my pj stash and I'm concidering using it as my first trial run.

It is so funny how stuff comes up. I was thinking the SAME THING! I found a box of that in my PJ stash last night. I was thinking about giving it a whirl this weekend.

I have seen raves about it in some of the older threads.

Where in the NY area can you get henna and indigo? I ordered the henna on line and it was a bit expensive.

darkangel25 said:

Jamila from henna sooq

Darkangel, what made you order from Henna Sooq? I was thinking of ordering from this website since it's Canadian and I'm in Canada. Do you order some of the other stuff... indigo, amla etc. as well? How long does it take to get it?

Also, I've read that it is OK to henna while pregnant. Can anyone confirm that they have done this?

What if you are stretching out a relaxer? Is the henna harder to apply to the hair? Do you notice as many of the benefits, or are they harder to detect?

TIA!

I just ordered directly from one of Henna For Hair's suppliers. $39.60 (including shipping) for 1000 grams of henna and 1000 grams of indigo.

L_Mo said:
Darkangel, what made you order from Henna Sooq? I was thinking of ordering from this website since it's Canadian and I'm in Canada. Do you order some of the other stuff... indigo, amla etc. as well? How long does it take to get it?

Also, I've read that it is OK to henna while pregnant. Can anyone confirm that they have done this?

What if you are stretching out a relaxer? Is the henna harder to apply to the hair? Do you notice as many of the benefits, or are they harder to detect?

TIA!

Not Darkangel- but i ordered 6 (100g) of a 70% indigo/30% senna mix and 2 (100g) of amla powder from http:// www.hennasooq.com . I reside in the U.S. But my experience was great and the products were of great quality. I have used the indigo/senna mix once so far and i haven't used the amla powder yet. I also got free samples with my order. Prices are great.HTH

Back