Is it possible to have changed my hair type?

drappedup

I don't know how silly of a question that is, but if I haven't made it clear through my newb posts :blush: the past couple days, I'm learning! So I have a bunch of questions as I go along. :blush:

My question is this: I do not know what hair type I have. After looking at the charts and pictures on different websites breaking down hair types like 3c, 4b, etc., etc., none of them resemble or sound like mine. It's just straight (even when wet) but frizzy at the very roots once its dry (when not forced to be super flat when relaxed). So I'm wondering, is this simply unnatural? I was a regular of relaxers since the time I was 5 (I'm 21 now). Is it possible whatever natural curl I was originally intended to have, has just.......died?

I don't remember my hair too well prior to my first relaxer. My mom would style it in pigtails. I do know by pictures it couldn't have been TOO curly. Just very thick (still is, just less stubbornly so). She always had a hard time combing it. Maybe because it had more crazy curl to it? My sister has curly hair. The tight ringlet type. My mom has straight hair. My father's was kinky/curly.

Okay, so basic question: Is it possible to have changed what hair type I was originally supposed to have?

Last edited:

Whimsy

Wait, are you 100% natural now?

Are you heat damaged?

Does the hair growing from your scalp come out bone straight or is there curl there?

Mz.MoMo5235

yeah, i'm confused... are you still relaxed? if you have any relaxed hair left in your hair, those pieces wont have any natural curl pattern to them. if you're referring to new growth, most will say you wont know your hair type until you a) big chop or b) have a whole lot of new growth. like 5 inches or so

so i dunno, i confused

drappedup

Wait, are you 100% natural now?

Are you heat damaged?

Does the hair growing from your scalp come out bone straight or is there curl there?

Well it's like frizzy/wavy but then after about half an inch straight and continues to grow that way in length. :ohwell:

I am suffering from breakage big time. And I am transitioning to being 100% natural. Haven't had a relaxer since late December. I have been using flat irons/blow dryers periodically, but am seriously considering cutting those 2 out as well. So yeah, work in progress as far as being 100% natural.

drappedup

yeah, i'm confused... are you still relaxed? if you have any relaxed hair left in your hair, those pieces wont have any natural curl pattern to them. if you're referring to new growth, most will say you wont know your hair type until you a) big chop or b) have a whole lot of new growth. like 5 inches or so

so i dunno, i confused

My last relaxer was December 26 of 2009. Most of my desire to get relaxers (since I've been a teenager anyway, as a kid my mom decided when) was because I hated my roots being so frizzy and I wanted them straight.

Mz.MoMo5235

so you're like 3months post relaxer? ok... yeah that's all relaxed hair you're looking at and ng which can be misleading to what your natural hair will look like. you'll need to wait a bit longer to see you're true hair type.

luckiestdestiny

I agree. You need to wait a little longer. But you say your hair has been frizzy wavyish from your response post that's why you got a relaxer? It'll be interesting to see your hair type as it grows out. You sound similar to my mom, but I don't know anything without pics. The only reason she got a relaxer was because she hated frizzy hair. Her mom begged her not to do it but she did anyways when she became an adult. but her hair is probably in the 2's and some areas in the 3's.

Last edited:

drappedup

So it's possible I have curly hair? I wish I had natural curls like yours mzmomo5235. That's similar to my sister's hair. But her hair curls right back up pretty soon after the few times she's relaxed her hair, so I have always been under the impression if your hair is naturally curled it will take effect not long after. Like I know me, my roots are super straight for like 3-4 weeks and then they frizz up all over again, and the rest of my hair is the same. Her whole hair gets curly. So I figured mine would too if that's what my hair type was?

Or maybe I've just really delayed the process with 15 years of relaxers. Hmmm. I've always wanted curly hair, like 3b or something. So pretty! :love2:

Last edited:

aurora3140

Well, the hair types like 4a, 3b, etc. only refer to new growth or hair without any chemicals.

So, that half of an inch of "frizzy/wavy" hair you're talking about is natural and that's the hair you would use the typing system to classify.

The straight hair you're talking about is still relaxed (and will be relaxed until it is cut off), so the hair types do not apply to it.

Does that answer your question?

drappedup

Well, the hair types like 4a, 3b, etc. only refer to new growth or hair without any chemicals.

So, that half of an inch of "frizzy/wavy" hair you're talking about is natural and that's the hair you would use the typing system to classify.

The straight hair you're talking about is still relaxed (and will be relaxed until it is cut off), so the hair types do not apply to it.

Does that answer your question?

Ohhh! I see! Yes, this definitely makes sense, thank you! :grin:

Wow, I'm excited to see my hair natural for the first time since....well, like ever, heh. So since it's been 3 months, what another 3 or so months san relaxer should be enough time of no chemicals, etc. to tell, no?

BostonMaria

Do you have any pictures of when you were a little girl without a chemical? That's about the only way you'll know what type of hair you'll end up with. Unfortunately the relaxed hair will elongate the curls and its hard to say what curl type you are until you do the big chop.

Mz.MoMo5235

Do you have any pictures of when you were a little girl without a chemical? That's about the only way you'll know what type of hair you'll end up with. Unfortunately the relaxed hair will elongate the curls and its hard to say what curl type you are until you do the big chop.

yup, that's what i was trying to say lol i couldnt word it right

BostonMaria

This is what 10 months of new growth looked on my head

When I cut the relaxed hair off my hair was very curly and shrank up. By looking at this picture you'd probably guess my hair would be very frizzy and an elongated waves, but it was the opposite.

This is my curly hair one week after the big chop. As you can see its not frizzy and the curls are not elongated. Shrinkage is a killah! LOL

Last edited:

drappedup

So is there anything about new growth that I should know? I don't want to screw up anything. Google time.

.....oh wait. I just reread your post, BostonMaria. So I will have to cut my hair, then? :( I guess that's obvious, but it seems like a constant circle. I'm a little sensitive on that topic, sorry. Going through breakage issues these last months and lost a lot of length. How long did you wait before you cut your 'leftover straight' hair? Was it challenging to have super curly hair and super straight hair at the same time before you did chop off the relaxed hair? I'm so full of questions now. :X

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

^^
Yes hon but it doesn't have to be right away. That's a big chop.You can cut off a little at a time but the relaxed hair has to go.

I'm natural so I know how you feel about letting go of hair. So it's up to you to decide how you want to do that: all at once or a little at a time every month or so until it's off. Start searching for threads on transitioning if you want to go that route (waiting it out and cutting a little at a time).

HTH

BostonMaria

So is there anything about new growth that I should know? I don't want to screw up anything. Google time.

.....oh wait. I just reread your post, BostonMaria. So I will have to cut my hair, then? :( I guess that's obvious, but it seems like a constant circle. I'm a little sensitive on that topic, sorry. Going through breakage issues these last months and lost a lot of length. How long did you wait before you cut your 'leftover straight' hair? Was it challenging to have super curly hair and super straight hair at the same time before you did chop off the relaxed hair? I'm so full of questions now. :X

There is a transitioners support thread on this forum and you should probably join. Those ladies will give you all the support you need!

To answer your questions - I cut my hair after 10 months. It was very challenging because my hair is thick. I managed to wait that long because back then I rollerset my hair every week and it hid the line of demarcation. I did flatiron, but very lightly to make sure I did not damage the new growth. Good luck on your transition!

BostonMaria

^^
Yes hon but it doesn't have to be right away. That's a big chop.You can cut off a little at a time but the relaxed hair has to go.

I'm natural so I know how you feel about letting go of hair. So it's up to you to decide how you want to do that: all at once or a little at a time every month or so until it's off. Start searching for threads on transitioning if you want to go that route (waiting it out and cutting a little at a time).

HTH

You'll know when its the right time to cut. Trust me I hate short hair on myself so it was very hard to imagine cutting off all that relaxed hair and have nape length hair. There are people here that transition way longer - even years! Its all about how much you can tolerate and when you feel ready. Not that everyone's hair is the same, but in September of 2007 I cut my shoulder length hair to nape length. Fast forward 12 months later and in September of 2008 I was already APL. So the sacrifice on my end was worth it.

Mz.MoMo5235

i did a long term transition with mini chops every 8 wks.

i transitioned for 2-2 1/2yrs i believe before we decided all of my relaxed hair was gone (cant remember no more). it was hard to tell because even though i used strong relaxers i still had texture to my hair which was quite similar to my own natural texture. we just labeled me natural once i no longer had damaged hair because my relaxed hair was so ate up, dry, brassy, and yucky. but oddly enough not straight lol

drappedup

........oh wow. Years? That's completely surprising! I didn't realize it's such a long term transition. So basically once you start using relaxers you will have to go through this transition sooner or later, or else you're stuck with relaxers for the rest of your hair days? Oh my. I had no idea.

I thought once you decided to stop relaxing it would only be a few months (I imagined maybe 3ish? 4ish?) before the relaxer was all gone, and that's what I figured the end of that to be. I didn't realize you have to take into account the hair the relaxer was used on, and it being altered so much from what natural is. I'm sure mine would be a very hard process since I've been continually on relaxer since I was 5? Okay......I'm going to have to rethink this whole thing, I think. :\ I need to be able to have hair I can wear properly to work and be in regs with. And I'm afraid that's going to be the case for the next 4 years until my military enlistment is up. I don't know if I'd be able to pull it off. :sad:

But thank you SO much ladies for this information! You don't know how much I appreciate all this. It's weird, because it's as if I just somehow managed to never think about any of this before, and so now it's like eye opening. I really wish I knew all of this 3 years ago when I cut my hair into a bob..... that would have been the perfect time to just stop relaxers and grow it out natural. I'm sorry if I'm moping; this is all just a lot of decisions for me to make! And I really do want to quit relaxers after the stylist I've dealt with lately. Thank you so much for the honest replies, though, I really DO appreciate them! :love2:

Last edited:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Yeah, the relaxed hair doesn't revert back to the natural hair type ever. You just have to wait until you are ready to cut it off. Some people do a big chop and chop everything off at once and have a short fro and other people transition, which means they wait a little longer and try to blend the two textures until they are ready to cut it.

Good luck with your hair journey!! :)

luckiestdestiny

........oh wow. Years? That's completely surprising! I didn't realize it's such a long term transition. So basically once you start using relaxers you will have to go through this transition sooner or later, or else you're stuck with relaxers for the rest of your hair days? Oh my. I had no idea.

I thought once you decided to stop relaxing it would only be a few months (I imagined maybe 3ish? 4ish?) before the relaxer was all gone, and that's what I figured the end of that to be. I didn't realize you have to take into account the hair the relaxer was used on, and it being altered so much from what natural is. I'm sure mine would be a very hard process since I've been continually on relaxer since I was 5? Okay......I'm going to have to rethink this whole thing, I think. :\ I need to be able to have hair I can wear properly to work and be in regs with. And I'm afraid that's going to be the case for the next 4 years until my military enlistment is up. I don't know if I'd be able to pull it off. :sad:

But thank you SO much ladies for this information! You don't know how much I appreciate all this. It's weird, because it's as if I just somehow managed to never think about any of this before, and so now it's like eye opening. I really wish I knew all of this 3 years ago when I cut my hair into a bob..... that would have been the perfect time to just stop relaxers and grow it out natural. I'm sorry if I'm moping; this is all just a lot of decisions for me to make! And I really do want to quit relaxers after the stylist I've dealt with lately. Thank you so much for the honest replies, though, I really DO appreciate them! :love2:

You would be able to pull it off. You can wear braids while you transition. I
I believe longhairdon'tcart 2011 started of with a relaxer and started braiding her hair. She has a bag of relaxed hair that she shows in one of her videos. And now look at her. The sacrifice may or may not be worth it to you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/longhairdontcare2011?blend=1&ob=4

hair length check
http://www.youtube.com/user/longhairdontcare2011?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/10/1PhUUuz2FtM

before and now
http://www.youtube.com/user/longhairdontcare2011?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/39/G6wFWeUg4r8

either way good luck. I used her as an example because she's a 4 girl. There are also plenty of healthy relaxed heads here that you can check out as well.

Last edited:

Mz.MoMo5235

yes, there are plenty of relaxed heads that have long beautiful hair!!! i stalk a few of them lol

also, please dont let the transition discourage you. there are plenty of naturals in the military who can stay with in dress code. it take patience and experimenting.

however, you shouldnt transition or chop until you're ready. it does take some work and unless you're willing to dedicate it wont work for your benefit. also, if you start to transition and relapse, that's ok. plenty of people transition multiple times.

listen to your hair and be happy :)

drappedup

Thanks guys! :)

So I spoke to my mom tonight over the phone about all of this, and I asked her about my first relaxer and how my hair was before that since I was so young and can barely remember. She said my hair used to be curly like Tia and Tamera in their early Sister Sister days. :eek: Mind trip for me! I can't believe we have never talked about this. It's sort of a big deal that I never knew! Do you think that would be manageable as far as waiting and doing one big chop? I don't like the idea of small cuts, or of chopping it too early and having very, very short hair (I've never been above chin-length before!). I really DO want to be done with relaxers, especially if in the end I can enjoy nice and natural hair, and finally be comfortable with my hair without having to visit the salon. That would definitely be a first. I'm trying to think how my head would look if I left it half and half, especially as far as buns and updos for work go.

I think I might just wait the next 3 months without any type of treatment, since that'll be 6 months and I should have some natural, non-relaxed hair by then. Then I'll decide whether to plunge on or stop there (for now). But I am gonna go ahead as planned until then. Coming up with my own newb haircare regimen and whatnot. :)

Last edited: