Is it possible to have hair pressed so straight it look like relaxed hair?

I saw an article talking about Queen Latifah and her stylist was saying that she is a natural and gets her hair pressed. I was shocked b/c her hair looks relaxed, not pressed. So, I'm wondering is it possible to have natural 4A/4B hair that can be pressed that straight?

ART11

Certainly. I know lots of women with pressed hair that look every bit as good as relaxed hair. Pressing is not quite like it was in the 60s when they used that stiff greasy stuff. I do not know what they use because I never press but whatever it is gives the hair much more movement than the older pressing products used to. I wish Henrilou was still here. She was the Queen of the Press and her hair was BEAUTIFUL!

sky_blu

YES! My grandmother used to do it for me when I was in middle school. She's a licensed cosmetologist and she's old school so she used pressing grease. People swore me up and down that had a relaxer until I washed it :lol: that was the longest my hair had grown during that time.

BrwnSugaBabee

yes! I do this about once every other month. People think I use a relaxer (i am 100% natural)..See my signature pic. My stylist just uses a hot comb for the roots then uses a marcel flat iron on the rest. HTH!

pet

I get my hair pressed every three weeks, and it looks like a relaxer. (My mom does it by the way..) To me it depends on what you use, and how often you get your hair pressed. It also depends solely on the person that is doing it. Some people are just really good with a hot comb or flat iron.

Wow.....
Thanks, ladies. I guess I was remembering when I got my hair pressed back in the day and it looked greasy with no body or movement. Guess times have changed. So, what do you all use on your hair, esp roots to get it straight without being too greasy?

BrwnSugaBabee

I just wash it at home..put in some a spray in leave in cond, then let airdry or blowdry on cool..oh yeah I add a nickel sized amt of recovery oil moisturizer in. Then I get it flat ironed. The key is to minimize what you put in your hair prior to flat ironing. If you put grease in or oil (for me at least) It will not have any bounce and be really stiff. The leave in is what helps protect your hair from burning. After its flat ironed then i will add more moisture as the days go on. HTH! Also IMO your hair needs to be in pretty good shape before you start putting that much heat on or you will def fry your hair!

dynamic1

Yes, at home my stylists thermally straigtens many clients. She does not use the old school pressing comb though. The hair comes out with lots of movement and silky. Several of my friends and family frequent her salon, and none of them have suffered any adverse affects. The kinks always curl back up after a wash.

ajargon02

anatomicallycorrect said:
I saw an article talking about Queen Latifah and her stylist was saying that she is a natural and gets her hair pressed. I was shocked b/c her hair looks relaxed, not pressed. So, I'm wondering is it possible to have natural 4A/4B hair that can be pressed that straight?

Yes. The last time I went to a salon in cleveland,oh. chick got my hair so straight, I was scared that it wouldn't come back. It looked, swung, and blew like it had a perm. I was really suprised about that. And a little bit scared. I haven't done that since

ART11

BrwnSugaBabee said:
I just wash it at home..put in some a spray in leave in cond, then let airdry or blowdry on cool..oh yeah I add a nickel sized amt of recovery oil moisturizer in. Then I get it flat ironed. The key is to minimize what you put in your hair prior to flat ironing. If you put grease in or oil (for me at least) It will not have any bounce and be really stiff. The leave in is what helps protect your hair from burning. After its flat ironed then i will add more moisture as the days go on. HTH! Also IMO your hair needs to be in pretty good shape before you start putting that much heat on or you will def fry your hair!

If you don't mind sharing, what tyoes of leave-ins do you use. I think I would like to try this but I do know that the leave-in I use (Nexxus Humectress) leaves your hair with too much moisture (huge sizzle) when you apply heat.

pressncurl

Yes, it is very much possible, but not very good for the hair in my opinion. Back in the day, I used to have my hair pressed near bone straight. Many folks would be surprised when they learned my hair wasn't relaxed. Now, when I press, it is still very full and thick--I call it "big hair"--and no one would ever mistake it for being relaxed. :lol:

blackbarbie

Yes, it's definitely possible. My mom using the old skook pressing comb and her hair has so much body that its not funny! I know that she shampoos it, usually put it in a few ponytails to let it air dry, and if it doesn't airdry, she will just blow dry it the rest of the way (if she is in a hurry, but rarely), then she presses. I don't know what types of products she puts in it, but my mom is so old skool that I know she doesn't go out and buy special stuff. She is a minimalist. Heck, it still may be the same ole vaseline that she used to put in my hair!!:grin: She also presses my little sister's hair too.

BrwnSugaBabee

Renee said:
If you don't mind sharing, what tyoes of leave-ins do you use. I think I would like to try this but I do know that the leave-in I use (Nexxus Humectress) leaves your hair with too much moisture (huge sizzle) when you apply heat.

I use either the mane n tail hair strengthner leave in or the elasta qp H-Two. Both are very light weight and work great. Though I am more partial to the mane n' tail.:)

ART11

BrwnSugaBabee said:
I use either the mane n tail hair strengthner leave in or the elasta qp H-Two. Both are very light weight and work great. Though I am more partial to the mane n' tail.:)

Thanks so much - your hair looks shiny and gorgeous :)

Chinagem

yup. when i was a little girl my mother pressed my hair every other sunday for church. it always looked like i had relaxed hair and my hair ALWAYS reverted back to its pre-pressed state.

naturaline

nurseN98 said:
Yes, when I use my Maxiglide, it looks just like my relaxed hair....actually a little better.
wow thats good! i plan to use my new miniglide on wednesday hope it looks straight.- what products did you use?

amy1234

When my hair was fully natural all it would take was flat-ironing each section with my chi flat iron and using dudley's creme press (just a dime size amount) hth

Divine Inspiration

YES! I have about 4 inches of new growth, and I pressed my roots and flat ironed the length about 3 weeks ago...my hair looked like I had gotten a fresh relaxer! :eek: I was so surprised at the results, but I was glad to know that I could achieve the relaxed look without chemicals. :yep:

caligirl

Yes! My stylist in Boston was the best! She would wash and deep condition with keracare products, but wouldn't put ANY product on after rinsing the conditioner. Then she would blowdry on medium heat with a denman brush. At this point my hair was already straight then she would make it silky by pressing and curling with marcel irons. It sounds like a lot of heat but my hair never had any breakage or split ends. When I left out of that salon, cars would literally honk their horn as I walked down the street. I know it had to be the hair because they never did that any other time, lol.

Teacake said:
Yes, people think I have a relaxer, but I don't. I get mine flat ironed, and pressed at the roots. This white lady said I must have a really good relaxer. I told her I don't have a relaxer at all. Hey, it happens. :) My mom used to press my hair for special days when I was growing up.

What's the difference btwn flat ironing and pressing? :confused:

Divine Inspiration

What's the difference btwn flat ironing and pressing? :confused:

Pressing is done with a pressing comb that has teeth like a regular comb while flatironing is done with an iron that has two flat plates with the exception of the Maxiglide which has a plate that has little detangling teeth designed to smooth the hair.

HTH

bluenude

so when you go to a salon how long does the pressed style last afterward? if you flatiron ever morning will it stay straight until you wash it again? or will the humidity poof it right back out again?

Divine Inspiration

Mine lasted a solid 2 weeks. I went out in rain with no umbrella and didn't have a single problem. No stinky press smell or anything. If it's done properly, it can last for weeks without reversion and it doesn't have to result in heat damage. When I washed my hair, my coils sprang back to life.

SVT

Wow.....
Thanks, ladies. I guess I was remembering when I got my hair pressed back in the day and it looked greasy with no body or movement. Guess times have changed. So, what do you all use on your hair, esp roots to get it straight without being too greasy?

Straightening in small sections with coconut oil works for me but you have to know how much to use. It CAN get greasy.