Is it possible to have hair pressed so straight it look like relaxed hair?

EbonyEyes

Definately!

My mom is a natural 4a and she got her hair washed and pressed by this male stylist. He used to do my mom's hair when she was relaxed and wore short styles.

She said he used this herbal product and had her hair pressed (with a hot comb) in 15 minutes.

I saw her hair and it looked amazing! And it's been two weeks since she got her hair pressed. It had so much body. She doesn't even hot curl it.

I will be getting my hair pressed for my graduation (two weeks!!!) so I will post pictures.

Amina

Could a person flat iron only without pressing and still get the same result?
Or does the roots have to be pressed?

lnana04

I've noticed that the Sedu and Corilioss irons alone does nothing for my hair. One day I want to try pressing it with a pressing comb, then flat-iron it to see how that comes out.

A lady back home use to press my har, then she would straighten it with this thin marcel type iron. My hair would be soooo straight and it wouldn't be damaged at all, so I'm assuming that pressing it then flat-ironing it with my sedu iron wouldn't be too much heat.

Does anyone do it that way?

Divine Inspiration

Amina said:
Could a person flat iron only without pressing and still get the same result?
Or does the roots have to be pressed?

Yes. I've also had a stylist use only a flat iron and it came out great! It's all about having the right tools and a stylist who knows what the heck they're doing.

lnana04 said:
I've noticed that the Sedu and Corilioss irons alone does nothing for my hair. One day I want to try pressing it with a pressing comb, then flat-iron it to see how that comes out.

A lady back home use to press my har, then she would straighten it with this thin marcel type iron. My hair would be soooo straight and it wouldn't be damaged at all, so I'm assuming that pressing it then flat-ironing it with my sedu iron wouldn't be too much heat.

Does anyone do it that way?

I've seen it done this way, but I honestly don't think that much heat is necessary to achieve a sleek, relaxed look. I've seen it done with one or the other so I wouldn't risk heat damage by consistently doing both. However, if you've been there and done it with no problems, then maybe it's ok...I would definitely stay on top of deep conditioning and use an outstanding heat protectant though.

mermaid

My hair gets straight with major body; I used to just use a regular curling iron until it gave out, now I use a flat iron and everything gets perfectly straight, roots and all.
Don't use pressing combs, don't like 'em.
I don't straighten very often though. I keep my hair curly, normally.

Millahdoowop

anatomicallycorrect said:
I saw an article talking about Queen Latifah and her stylist was saying that she is a natural and gets her hair pressed. I was shocked b/c her hair looks relaxed, not pressed. So, I'm wondering is it possible to have natural 4A/4B hair that can be pressed that straight?

Yes it is very possible. As a matter of fact when I went and got my hair done last month, it looked like it was relaxed. My mom kept going on and on and on about my hair. lol

cutiebe2

my 3a hair is very fine and thin. Just blowdrying gets it straighter than most people with relaxers. Thats why I really do see the need for a relaxer (for me)

RainbowCurls

Yes, definitely.
I've seen a few posts of people getting 'better than relaxer' straightness by using a Maxiglide flat iron on their 4a/b hair.

joyous

It's possible. I get my hair flat ironed once a month and people always think I have a relaxer.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
naturaline said:
wow thats good! i plan to use my new miniglide on wednesday hope it looks straight.- what products did you use?
I use Redken heat glide & a teeny bit of shea butter. Be sure to use lots of heat protectant with the miniglide.....I heard that it gets hotter because it doesn't have temp control like the maxiglide.

naturaline

nurseN98 said:
I use Redken heat glide & a teeny bit of shea butter. Be sure to use lots of heat protectant with the miniglide.....I heard that it gets hotter because it doesn't have temp control like the maxiglide.
thanks for the tip!!!

Faith

anatomicallycorrect said:
I saw an article talking about Queen Latifah and her stylist was saying that she is a natural and gets her hair pressed. I was shocked b/c her hair looks relaxed, not pressed. So, I'm wondering is it possible to have natural 4A/4B hair that can be pressed that straight?
Good question...it's one of the reasons I'm transitioning. I never really realized even if I couldn't get it relaxer straight...a hair dresser could and I could have stayed natural. Can't wait ;)

Faith

BrwnSugaBabee said:
yes! I do this about once every other month. People think I use a relaxer (i am 100% natural)..See my signature pic. My stylist just uses a hot comb for the roots then uses a marcel flat iron on the rest. HTH!
Dang..I thought it was a relaxer. LOL! Looks good.

tallnomad

just adding my two cents. everyone thinks i have a relaxer, but my hair is pressed. the salon i go to specializes in healthy growing hair. they rollerset you and then you have to sit under the dryer for over an hour. when you come out your hair is pretty straight from the rollers and then my stylist, presses me lightly and then flat irons it. it's super straight. i use some wax to keep my edges smooth but i usually do this a few days before my next appt. i get it done every two weeks.

so1913

Yep, just saw my friend the other day at a gathering and everyone was getting on her because they thought she relaxed her hair!

The last time I flat ironed mine back in feb 05 (pics in album) many people thought I had relaxed.

Estee

I can get my hair very straight by pressing, flat-ironing or rollerset. The problem is I workout at the gym and play softball, so my hair has no chance of surviving all that sweat. I only recall it staying straight once after being rained on and that was when I was a teen; my aunt had pressed my hair using a hot comb on a gas stove.

What are the secrets to keeping it straight through workouts???

Thanks.

lovelymissyoli

When I used to press, my hair looked like I just got a relaxer (especially the roots) even though I was like 20-30 weeks post-relaxer. However, it was murder for my naps and I stopped in July or August! In the end, I had to cut more of my hair off when I chopped than I wanted or hoped to.

lana

I don't know if there is a secret to keeping it straight after a work out, because I work out three times a week and my hair still reverts slightly. If I really need to wear it straight the next day I just blow it dry on cool after my work out. However I usually decided to just wash it. Lastly I really think oil on the scalp helps with the hair not reverting. And Lustrasilk has a straightening spray that I use before I blowdry that really helps keep my hair straight and silky.

Ms Red

It's totally possible. When I go to get it professionally done, my hair gets EXTREMELY straight. It has a lot of body too. I don't do that very often though b/c I'm afraid of heat damage.

When I straightened my hair on Monday with a ceramic flat iron it got really straight, roots and all. All I used was a few drops of WGO. Not greasy at all.

Estee

lana said:
I don't know if there is a secret to keeping it straight after a work out, because I work out three times a week and my hair still reverts slightly. If I really need to wear it straight the next day I just blow it dry on cool after my work out. However I usually decided to just wash it. Lastly I really think oil on the scalp helps with the hair not reverting. And Lustrasilk has a straightening spray that I use before I blowdry that really helps keep my hair straight and silky.

Does the Lustrasilk spray really stand up to your workouts? I work out about 3x/week also and I came to the conclusion that I'm just going to keep my hair in twists this summer. This way I don't have to worry about the reversion when I work out, go dancing or get rained on. Plus it's almost summer; I can be more carefree and it'll grow more in this protective style.

A_Christian

Great thread! The Maxi glide does a wonderful job. I pressed my hair earlier this week and it looks like I have a fresh relaxer at almost 14 weeks post touch-up. It's nice to know that chemicals are not necessary to get the smooth relaxed look.

Last edited:

InNeedofHairapy

are there long term effcts from pressing your hair? Like breakage? I'm about 6 almost 7 months post relaxer and I'm still not sure whether to relax or transition. I had a "duh" moment and realized that I should just press my hair. Then I was thinking that I don't want chemicals in my hair, but I want to have straight hair sometimes too...so I could just press every 3 weeks or twice a onth or whatever...rambiling....lol

but yeah..If I press my hair..not often, but semi often...will that harm my hair in the long run (even with babying it) and make it so that I can't retain length?

pistachio

My step-sister does. Her mom, whose my step-mom, has been pressing her hair since she was five. She's seventeen now. Her hair looks straighter than most relaxed heads i see out there(except for mine of course;) thanx to LHCF ). Then again, the thing that sucks for her is that she would've been better off just relaxing it because despite there being no chemicals in it, it's obviously over-processed to the point where it doesn't revert anymore, and she also can't relax either it because it'd probably break off...

Lucia

OT: Rainbowcurls, I love your new haircolour, and it's getting longer, how do you do it. I'm PMing you.

Hair Iam

Most definitely,
Once every month I flat iron my hair and wear it straight for 3-5 days. I'm always asked if I reverted to perm. I'm protective of the ends, during that time I lightly oil them with castor and coconut oil, wear a satin cap to bed, and use my fingers to ruffle hair not comb.
So nice to have the choice:)

krobinson

I took my daughter to the JcPenney salon where the lady straightened her hair with a marcel flat iron and Dudley creme press. It was beautiful!!! It definitely looked relaxed and it lasted for over 2 weeks. But she charged me $75 because she deep conditioned and trimmed. Well, ever since then I have been on the search for something that I can do at home in order to achieve the same results. I bought a marcel iron but returned it because I was too afraid to use it. I have a Corioliss that works okay. I tried the Pink IC protectant but seemed too sticky. Vo5 spray protectant which made it sizzle too much. I can not find the Dudley creme press in the retail shops. But I wonder if it would work any way with the maxiglide. I would really like to try the maxiglide after reading all of the reviews on it. Would her hair have to be already somewhat straight in order to use it because of the teeth?