IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE LONG HAIR WITHOUT......

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Is it possible to achieve a longer length without wearing protective styles all of the time?

I ask this question because all of the ladies that I see on a regular basis with longer hair(brastrap and beyond), wear their hair down everyday.

I find that for me, if I just wear simple styles such as wraps and rollers sets that I retain my length just as well. I make sure I concentrate on keeping my ends moisturized on a very regular basis, like twice daily.

I just want to hear your opinion on this matter.

I agree with you. When I used to wear my hair in buns all the time, I would freak out when I saw that my ends hadn't improved. Since I put hair grease on my ends and rarely use heat, my ends feel better and I'm gaining more length. And I don't even wear protective 100% of the time.

For me I think any style that doesnt require a lot of heat is good..my bun just happens to be easier to do. But I also wear ponytails, braid outs etc etc.

Yes, I've never had a problem with retaining length and I wear my hair most of the time. I've even worn it down while wearing wool coats for winter. Recently I've incorporated buns but any wort of ponytail or variation thereof hurts my scalp.

Its probably possible, but for me, Ive noticed that I keep my growing hair when I wear my bun every day. Every time I relax my hair gets significantly longer than it ever was when I was not wearing buns.However,If I was to stop wearing buns all the time, I think my hair may still be okay because Im doing so many other things that I wasnt doing before, like constant moisture, etc.Im just not ready to find out
ohwell.gif

I hope so, 'cause I got sick of protective styles (esp. buns) everyday after 3 weeks!! I still use no heat, but I try to alternate between wrap sets and braid outs (somewhat protective).

The only thing I notice is that in the winter my hair gets caught on my coat if I wear it down. Lately, it's been getting caught in my cell phone antenna too!! I may try to stick to buns for the rest of the winter, but when warmer weather comes, I'll be wearing it down more.

I think it's easier often to grow long hair in protective styles because the ends are the oldest part of the hair and therefore more prone to breakage, etc., however I wear my hair down 99.9% of the time and my hair is bra strap length, I don't enjoy protective styles too much. I would say that it depends on the condition of the hair and the hair's "personality", everyones hair is different.

My hair doesnt like protective styles. It likes to be out and free. I only pull my hair back into a ponytail when its time for a retouch so not to manipulate it too much. But I have achieved excellent growth while wearing my hair out. Some things may work for some, may not work for others.

I think protective styles are helpful but I also think you can achieve long hair without them. It just may take a little longer b/c you may not retain as much length. Additionally, if you aren't using heat, I think that is extremely helpful even if you aren't doing protective styles.

If I must say my end looked like crap after wearing the wet bun thing during the challenge. I roller set and wrap my hair. I use heat when I sit under the dryer and I might flat iron my bangs right after taking out the front roller to make it look the way I want it to.

During the cold months, I have worn my hair down, however, I wear a silk scarf on my head when Im outside in the elements. When I get inside and I still have my coat on, Ill drap the scarf so it falls over my shoulders where my hair hits my coat. Also Ill do a lose french which can be easily taken down during the say revealing pretty waves. My hair has grown the most its ever grown this winter!

<font color="purple"> Good topic...

I have never worn buns, and I have always had long hair. The few times I did try buns, my ends started acting up, and usually I never have a problem with my ends.

But, I have seen several people on this board who grew the longest hair they ever had by utilizing buns.

So, it depends on your hair. </font>

What has worked for me in the past is washing my hair and putting it in a barrette type clip with just leave in or whatever oils but not protective. I didn’t wrap my hair in a bun but the thing is that I had no heat on my hair and my hair grew quick. It was right below my shoulders and every 8 weeks later my hair had grown a good inch. I’ve slipped on that because I like wearing my hair down but I know my hair would grow faster if I just washed it and just put it in a clip. My hair gets slightly wavy and I just wear my hair like that. My hair is about 4a.

IMO there are two sides of 'the argument'. When you wear you hair out there is a danger that you can rely too heavily on heated styling aides e.g flat iron, tongs etc. However since joining LHCF I have retained my length by paying close attention to keeping the ends moisturised and not relying on too much direct heat. I wear my hair out most of the time but since Feb 16 I have worn my hair in a protective bun. I prefer wearing my hair out but I thought I would give it a try. I normally just wash and slick my hair back therefore eliminating the 'need' to use heat, less manipulation and the ends being protected from wool tops, car seat belts etc. I am not sure if I have retained more length since wearing a bun than if I was wearing it out.
scratchchin.gif
So for me I think that it is the heat that is more the issue.

I just can't do buns! They do nothing for me. I do wrap my hair when I wear it out.I alternate between weaing it out and wearing it up. Instead of a bun I wear a loose updo or a braid out. I think my hair has grown so much because of no heat like pradalover said. I moisturize more now and that has made a significant difference in retaining length.

Yes, you definitely can. Back when "Protective Styles" were just called, UPDO'S I wore it all different styles and always had long hair.

Till I joined the Bun Challenge. But the moisture and no heat is the key to retaining not the updo.

As someone once said what's the point of having long hair if you can't wear it down?

I wouldn't classify myself as being "long" yet, tho I tend to wear some form of a bun all the time. It's just easier, faster, etc. But honestly I'm prone to believe that what truly accumulates your hair length is not so much your style (tho' that helps) but IMO it's preserving your ends - moisture, gentle care, etc. That's where the growth adds up right?
Good thread.

glad to read this. buns dont do it for me. since i at one time used to wear braids for months at a time when my hair was loose i didnt want to just have it in a bun. i agree moisturizing the ends was always key in retaining the growth. i do think ponytails or updos can help if you hair gets caught in your clothing. God bless you all.

I think so...I'm not much of a bun person, I don't like the shape of my head.

I wrap every day, and wear it down or half up and half down and my hair hasn't suffered.

Lately I have been battling with this issue because my husband is craving my own hair. Not weaves or braids or phony ponies. He don't even want to see buns. So one day I decided to wear it down, just for him. The response was amazing. He kept asking me, "is this my wife?" He kept giving me all this extra attention. I love it!

I think I will take a break from the up do's. Maybe just wear it up 2-3 days a week. Let is loose a little more. We will see how it goes. Thanks for all of the responses. I feel much better about the whole thing!

DSD

What you say makes sense. Because what we want besides healthy, long, beautiful hair is to feel joyful about it and to show it off. I feel it's all about balance.

I'm not ready to find out either. If I wore it down everyday, I would have to straighten it for it to look presentable. That would stop me from doing my daily rinses.

But....that said I feel your pain. Sometimes I put it up half-way and leave the back down which looks nice and long but then I start thinking about those ends getting scraggly and back in the bun it goes.

When I was getting touchups every 6-8 weeks, and roller sets every 2 weeks, my hair was nearly at bra strap, it wasn't until had it colored in a hair show that it started to break

I definitely think it is possible to grow long hair without using protective styles. Keeping hair moisturized and well-conditioned is the key, in my opinion. I rarely wear my hair in a bun now but it keeps getting longer.

Back