IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE LONG HAIR WITHOUT......

Hi SherryLove!
wave.gif
You're one of my great inspirations!

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
I wear my hair down almost everyday. I take special care to keep the ends moisturized.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sherry Love that is great to know. I will be taking notes on the extra moisture. Do you have any recommendations?

This is funny b/c I just asked my long haired friend Friday about her regime. Her hair is thick and beyond bra strap and she said that she pressed it weekly not only that but she wears it down almost everyday. When it’s not down she pulls it back in a ponytail but does not wrap it up. I can say that looking at the many different photo albums that the protective styles help them achieve their length but once they reached their length wearing it down on a more regular basis is not as damaging. This is just my option I don’t have any facts to back it up. I was so convinced that “protective styles” helps the hair grow faster I just went out and brought a drawstring ponytail and it hurts. I said I will give the protective stuff a few months and see it that makes a major difference in my hair growth.

Hmmm. . . I know Cathy Howse's site says she didn't wear protective styles because they made her ends 'crisp' and she has good length, so I guess it works for some people to have it down on a regular basis.

When I had BS length hair, I never wore protective styles..I didn't know about LHCF then and my hair grew just fine. It was very healthy as well, so I'm sure it can be done!! I also never moisturized my hair...It probably could have been waistlength if I did. I hated grease and the heavy feeling so I blowdried, flatironed and went...My hair was georgeous too!! WHO KNOWs why?!!!

dontspeakdefeat said:
I think I will take a break from the up do's. Maybe just wear it up 2-3 days a week. Let is loose a little more. We will see how it goes. Thanks for all of the responses. I feel much better about the whole thing!

DSD
DSD how has this been working out for you?

Poohbear said:
sylver2 Is A Prime Example Of Someone Who Grew Long Hair Without Protective Styles! ;)

Thanks PoohBear , you read my mind..lol
Soon as I saw the title I was going to post.

Nope, never wore protective styles and don't plan on it anytime in furture.
I really enjoy wearing my hair out and can achieve this while it still being healthy.

dontspeakdefeat said:
bump!!

------------------

This is a great thread DSD!! I've been going back and forth on the issue myself. I always feel like my ends get placed in a certain position when protective styled that I can't comb through the hair otherwise the ends snap off. I'm trying add more moisture when I protective style so I hope that that helps. Anyway I've been keeping away from heat lately and I think that that is working for me. I've just been washing and rollersetting my hair at a dominican salon on a weekly basis. I wrap it every night. The last week before my relaxer I wore my hair in a protective style with my new handy dandy phony pony :D .

How have you been wearing your hair lately DSD (btw you are one of my Hair- Sheroes)? I see early on this thread you were going to try to limit the amount of protective styling, did you do this, and what were your results??

tryn2growmyhair said:
DSD how has this been working out for you?

RabiaElaine said:
This is a great thread DSD!! I've been going back and forth on the issue myself. I always feel like my ends get placed in a certain position when protective styled that I can't comb through the hair otherwise the ends snap off. I'm trying add more moisture when I protective style so I hope that that helps. Anyway I've been keeping away from heat lately and I think that that is working for me. I've just been washing and rollersetting my hair at a dominican salon on a weekly basis. I wrap it every night. The last week before my relaxer I wore my hair in a protective style with my new handy dandy phony pony :D .

How have you been wearing your hair lately DSD (btw you are one of my Hair- Sheroes)? I see early on this thread you were going to try to limit the amount of protective styling, did you do this, and what were your results??
Thanks!! :D

Man this is an old thread. I thought I would bump it to see what some of the newer long hair ladies had to say about it.

To answer: I wore my hair down for about 2 months with no adverse affects.

I am now getting tired of wearing protective styles again and I am considering taking another break. I will see!

if your hair is meant to be long, it will grow long whether it is protected or not... before i joined LHF, i rarely wore protective hairstyles; but my hair was still long....the protective styles, however, help to keep my ends in better shape....

SherryLove said:
if your hair is meant to be long, it will grow long whether it is protected or not... before i joined LHF, i rarely wore protective hairstyles; but my hair was still long....the protective styles, however, help to keep my ends in better shape....

People use to always say that to me. "Oh girl your hair was meant to be long". The funny thing is I am the only one in my entire family who has long hair. Through parents, grandparents and great grandparents.

SherryLove said:

I never thought about it that way!! Interesting! :yep:

I have the longest hair of anyone in my family and I am well on my way to brastrap. I crave to wear my hair out sometimes. It's good to know that hair can grow longer with out wearing protective styles 100% of the time.

Wow I just realized that the ladies hair which I love so much don’t do protective styling at all, i.e. Sherylove, Sylver2, etc.) :shocked:

This is such a great thread. It is great to know that protective styling is not the only method to achieving long hair. For me it seems that just keeping the heat away has helped me out 100%. Although I do love my buns, it bothers me that I can’t wear it down, but after reading everyone’s post it’s nice to know that either will help me in my guest for waist length, but I think that I will stick to bunning for a long while though Wonderful input ladies.

Last edited:
Cinnabuns said:
Wow I just realized that the ladies hair which I love so much don’t do protective styling at all, i.e. Sherylove, Sylver2, etc.) :shocked:

This is such a great thread. It is great to know that protective styling is not the only method to achieving long hair. For me it seems that just keeping the heat away has helped me out 100%. Although I do love my buns, it bothers me that I can’t wear it down, but after reading everyone’s post it’s nice to know that either will help me in my guest for waist length, but I think that I will stick to bunning for a long while though Wonderful input ladies.
I agree. Almost all of my hair inspirations wear their hair down, relaxed and natural heads.

I really love the protective styles, including my buns, I have learned since I came to this board and so I rotate with these. I enjoy braidouts very much also. I too feel that eliminating heat (100%) and keeping my ends moisturized is contributing the most to my hair's growth, probably a lot more that the updos.

dontspeakdefeat said:
Lately I have been battling with this issue because my husband is craving my own hair. Not weaves or braids or phony ponies. He don't even want to see buns. So one day I decided to wear it down, just for him. The response was amazing. He kept asking me, "is this my wife?" He kept giving me all this extra attention. I love it!

I think I will take a break from the up do's. Maybe just wear it up 2-3 days a week. Let is loose a little more. We will see how it goes. Thanks for all of the responses. I feel much better about the whole thing!

DSD

This is what I plan on doing. I think that it is possible to gain length and no wear it up 100% of the time. My up-days are going to be Sunday, Monday, and Thursday. Down Days-Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday.

I think it will be easier for me to wear it down once it is all shoulder length, at the lenght it is now, its best pulled back.

Back