Is It Possible to pray WITHOUT praying for things?

foxxymami

I don't even know if there is such a thing. But, what I want to know is how do I pray without feeling like I'm only praying for things. I want to be selfless in prayer. I stand on faith knowing that He will PROVIDE for me and BLESS me.

I feel like where I am pretty strong in this area of the Word, I think I could be stronger in being selfless and being a blessing to others. It seems however, that when I try to open my hear to praying without praying for myself, I don't know what to pray.

dreamer26

Oh most definately

I call those my prays of Thanksgiving and Love

Ex:

Lord I just thank you for your loving kindness and your tender mercy.

Lord I just thank you for being God and knowing all things and loving me inspite of myself.

Father I thank you for keeping me last night as I slept and allowing me to rise this morning still in my right mind without any hurt or harm coming to me.

Father you are awesome Lord there's none like you , you are worthy and worth the praise glory and honor.

I better stop right there because it's about to get good to me.

Just love on the Lord and tell him from your heart what he means to you.

klb120475

Yes, this is what I like to call loving on the Lord type of prayers. Sometimes you just wanna love on Him and let Him know how much you love Him.:)

Naijaqueen

Yes and its very necessary. These are my normal type prayers as I dont like to ask God for the same things too often, so I praise, and glorify Him as I wait for Him to show Himself to me. Its an awesome feeling, acknowledge Him for the good God that He is, the Almighty, Omnipotent one, the Great creator, King of kings and Lord of Lords, the Mighty one, who created everything in heaven and on earth.
This is when God really blesses you, when He really provides for you.

foxxymami

Naijaqueen said:
Yes and its very necessary. These are my normal type prayers as I dont like to ask God for the same things too often, so I praise, and glorify Him as I wait for Him to show Himself to me. Its an awesome feeling, acknowledge Him for the good God that He is, the Almighty, Omnipotent one, the Great creator, King of kings and Lord of Lords, the Mighty one, who created everything in heaven and on earth.
This is when God really blesses you, when He really provides for you.

Yes this is exactly what I've been feeling lately. I know that God blesses me and He's not through with me yet, but I recently received a very special blessing and now I want to make sure I'm consistently praying for others and just praising God. :up:

lisana

Oh yes!. You can pray (like all the others have said) and just praise God for just being great! I pray about many thing other than things. Like praying for my loved ones to be safe and happy and just so they can have a nice day. I pray to God and just let god know that he brings a lot of joy into my life just because. I do understand how it's easy for us to pray for things, though, because it seems like we spend most of our time on Earth trying to get things. It seems so natural to just ask god for something. But I have to "think" to praise him, at first anyway. Now it's just as easy as asking him for something, which I still do, of course :)

foxxymami

lisana said:
Oh yes!. You can pray (like all the others have said) and just praise God for just being great! I pray about many thing other than things. Like praying for my loved ones to be safe and happy and just so they can have a nice day. I pray to God and just let god know that he brings a lot of joy into my life just because. I do understand how it's easy for us to pray for things, though, because it seems like we spend most of our time on Earth trying to get things. It seems so natural to just ask god for something. But I have to "think" to praise him, at first anyway. Now it's just as easy as asking him for something, which I still do, of course :)

This is good.

I guess I was a little concerned that my prayers to bless and keep my loved ones safe and happy, etc. were too simple....not enough

brownsuga

All response are awesome on this thread. As for me I too thank God for everything that I am and for accepting and working on me as I try to survive on this earth the way that he intended for his children to do. While he is recieving praise in return he leaves my spirits lifted.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
foxxymami said:
I don't even know if there is such a thing. But, what I want to know is how do I pray without feeling like I'm only praying for things. I want to be selfless in prayer. I stand on faith knowing that He will PROVIDE for me and BLESS me.

I feel like where I am pretty strong in this area of the Word, I think I could be stronger in being selfless and being a blessing to others. It seems however, that when I try to open my hear to praying without praying for myself, I don't know what to pray.
Lord, I just want to love you. I just want to ghank you for being who you are and for all that you have given me.

Oh, how I praise you and honor who you are. Thank you for the birds, the trees, the air that I breathe. Thank you for the gifts of life, my loved ones and keeping us free from confusion and stife. How can I bless you today? How can I make you happy? How can I honor you and just bless you with all of my heart?

There will never will anyone so great as you are in my life, neither in my heart. From when my day begins and when its end becomes the start of a new beginning, all over again. I thank you for gving me sweet sleep, and my safety you did keep. It's no small wonder why you are so dear to me and my heart.

Lord, I thank you. For by my side, you will never depart and I don't ever want you to. For there will never be a friend as dear to me...as you.

In Jesus' name.... Amen and Amen. ;)

live2bgr8

dreamer26 said:
Oh most definately

Ex:

Lord I just thank you for being God and knowing all things and loving me inspite of myself.

Father I thank you for keeping me last night as I slept and allowing me to rise this morning still in my right mind without any hurt or harm coming to me.

Father you are awesome Lord there's none like you , you are worthy and worth the praise glory and honor.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Prayers of praise, love, adoration, thanksgiving all fall in line with this thought. :yep: So many of the psalms exhibit/pattern these types of prayers. I gues that's why David was a man after God's own heart.

Ms Lala

Yes I do this. Since I like to sing I usually start out with a song of thanksgiving and praise then I go from there just blessing His name and thanking Him for who he is. I usually go from more general things to more specific things that he did for me.

madamdot

dreamer26 said:
Oh most definately

Ex:

Ditto on this. Sometimes I pray only to thank and praise and worship. It was during my first intentional thanksgiving prayer when I tried to thank God for all the good things that happened to me for as far back as I could remember when I realized how blessed I truly am, and that God really does have a plan and is thinking about YOU.

Thank Him and the things you want will fall into place.

madamdot

dreamer26 said:
Oh most definately

Ex:

Ditto on this. Sometimes I pray only to thank and praise and worship. It was during my first intentional thanksgiving prayer when I tried to thank God for all the good things that happened to me for as far back as I could remember when I realized how blessed I truly am, and that God really does have a plan and is thinking about YOU.

Thank Him and the things you want will fall into place.

dlewis

My prayer life consist of having a conversation with G-d, not always asking Him for something, but telling he about my day, letting Him know what's bothering me, or thanking Him for such a wonderful day, singing to Him, asking His advice or asking Him for guidance, just talking to Him because He is my best friend.