Votes: 60 34.7%
  • No, it has no bearing

Votes: 92 53.2%
  • Who knows?

Votes: 21 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PennyK

There are some stereotypes up in here...but I know they didn't mean it. Sigh. Anyway, no, I don't think it's a status symbol. There are plenty of short cuts in wealthy communities, old or young. What I do think is a universal status symbol is healthy, well-maintained hair, young or old. Hair coloring is the biggest hair status symbol for wealthy women ad 300.00 a pop? Yeah.

I totally agree with this statement. I feel like it takes a lot to have a natural shine and bounce to hair. Healthy looking hair whether it's short, long, dyed, straight, or curly can be an indicator of status.

SandCastles

I know this board is very black and white with very little concern for gray, but I know many women who are serious about their professional careers who would also be seen as trophy wives (beautiful women married to successful men).

Ogoma

^^^ Is that your definition of a trophy wife? A beautiful woman married to a successful man? That seems too broad to me.

Ogoma

trophy wives.. or women who marry money id say yes... self made women i'd say no

I somewhat agree if we narrow it to trophy wives in the traditional sense of the word. The wives of some of the richest men in the world do not have long hair.

koolkittychick

I think the answer boils down to :"high maintenance hair is status hair." For some women, that means a $2000 a month weave habit with premium virgin hair. For another, it could be a dyed blond pixie that is kept in perfect condition with the most expensive color and conditioning products. For yet another, it could be WL home grown hair that is meticulously tended to in a fancy salon. All of this is to say that it's less about the style and more about what the woman had to spend in time, effort and money to get it. :ohwell:

Fine 4s

Context means everything especially on this topic. I come from what would be viewed as a poor country. Weaves etc. are not viewed as a status symbol. Most things fake imply "low class" The longer the better because it means your hair can grow ie "good hair" and everything that comes with that.....

Lylddlebit

I don't see long hair as a status as much as I see being "sharp" and "clean cut" as one. When someone is always "together" be it long, short, straight hair, natural or relaxed hair they have a combination of the means and the desire to put in the effort to be that.

Gin&Tonic

trophy wives.. or women who marry money id say yes...
self made women i'd say no

I disagree, men with money are evolving . Just like the playboy bunny types are no longer the choice . When I go to functions ,the only difference I am seeing between the trophy wives and professional women are prettier faces and better bodies. The hair seems to be getting shorter .

The weave, overdone makeup and clingy clothes on the streets are leading the rich to embrace a more conservative look.

Gin&Tonic

I know this board is very black and white with very little concern for gray, but I know many women who are serious about their professional careers who would also be seen as trophy wives (beautiful women married to successful men).

Actually, I read an article in Forbes that said the educated career woman is the new trophy wife.

DirectorChic

Now I don't know if the OP was referring to real hair or fake hair??

Buying expensive hair is definitely a status for a whole segment of women and it confuses the hell out of me. Chicks be stroking some woman's hair like it's a tiger they killed and skinned :nono:. Why you would be proud and cocky about wearing fake hair, I do not understand :perplexed.

I know other women do tracks and extensions, but white women usually keep it hush hush. I get that. Black weave culture confuses the hell out of me. It's seems so strange, but that's a whole other topic.

The Black weave culture will take care of that weave much better than their own hair. Very sad.

Britt

The black women I see in corporate America, or black women that I see that are middle/upper class usually rock their own hair and if it's a weave, it's usually tastefully done with a few tracks added, or they are natural. The ones that rock their own hair usually go to black hair stylists that charge a pretty penny to get their hair done or many of them are straightened naturals. The black salons that charge a pretty penny are in no shortage of clients who will pay weekly/biweekly to get their hair done.

This whole outrageous weave culture with the long overly glam weave is just tacky imo, especially for everyday wear.

doll-baby

I noticed in my church there are a lot of women with naturally long hair. I guess long hair can be seen as a status symbol, since a lot of people have the misconception that it is harder to take care of than short hair. For me the most time consuming / high maintenance style was a pixi style that has to be curled daily !

caribeandiva

Human being
Is long hair a status symbol in upper middle class and up society? Michelle Obama's hair answers this question perfectly. I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

ManeStreet

Is long hair a status symbol in upper middle class and up society? Michelle Obama's hair answers this question perfectly. I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

But that's also controlled by their stylist & image consultants. And Michelle has a very tasteful weave. Some people would consider her hair long. Her length changes for different events

Last edited:

missyanne

The Black weave culture will take care of that weave much better than their own hair. Very sad.

I was telling my little cousin how much I dislike this new butt-crack weave phenomena. She informed me it's not about the weave it's about letting B5$ch know you can afford to get it this long. According to my cousin these weave start off at 175.00, premium quality 300 and you cant rock a cheap long weave, you'll get laughed at.
What has me perplex is my cousin and several of her friends have shaven their hairline so that their fake lace front hair look more natural, some of these weave come with "baby hair" in the front so they shave off their hairline to perfect the look. :sad:.

True story, I know its a little off topic. I was in the BSS a few months ago and a young girl walked in with an older Haitian guy. She asked for several packs of hair. I don't remember what brand but the total was around 600.00. The older guy that she was with start cutting up in the store. He was like what I don't have this type of money.
She responded I told you I needed hair and it was expensive. The older guy was like yeah but I thought you were gonna spend $50.00 or maybe 70 dollars. So now she is embarrass and starts giving the man attitude.
I and several shoppers backed away from the register cause we wanted to see this play out. The young girl proceeded to tell the guy, he has a CC and he can just put it on there, she wants the hair. The guy pulls out his wallet and hands her a $ 100.00 and tells her that's all he has.
She grabs the money and proceeded to unleash a boatload of insult on the guy. From what I gather they had sexual contact and the older guy had promise her he was gonna buy her the hair.
As the guy is walking away he starts saying in Creole, look what type of mess he got himself in. Another shopper responded, that's good for your old arse what did you think such a young girl wanted with you.

He ignores her and continue to walk outside, the girl follows and continues to cuss the guy out threating his life. The older guy end up having to call the police cause she it got crazier outside.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
^^^^^Wow. That is some serious business over some weave hair. :nono:

I'm beginning to wonder what (if any) effect LHCF and the whole hair care movement is having on weave. I think perhaps all of the women that are actually growing their REAL hair could be putting more pressure on the weave wearers. And maybe they think that since so many more women are growing long REAL hair that maybe they can slip their weaves past unsuspecting non-weave-dar having people.

Last edited:

Holla

I was telling my little cousin how much I dislike this new butt-crack weave phenomena. She informed me it's not about the weave it's about letting B5$ch know you can afford to get it this long. According to my cousin these weave start off at 175.00, premium quality 300 and you cant rock a cheap long weave, you'll get laughed at.
What has me perplex is my cousin and several of her friends have shaven their hairline so that their fake lace front hair look more natural, some of these weave come with "baby hair" in the front so they shave off their hairline to perfect the look. :sad:.

True story, I know its a little off topic. I was in the BSS a few months ago and a young girl walked in with an older Haitian guy. She asked for several packs of hair. I don't remember what brand but the total was around 600.00. The older guy that she was with start cutting up in the store. He was like what I don't have this type of money.
She responded I told you I needed hair and it was expensive. The older guy was like yeah but I thought you were gonna spend $50.00 or maybe 70 dollars. So now she is embarrass and starts giving the man attitude.
I and several shoppers backed away from the register cause we wanted to see this play out. The young girl proceeded to tell the guy, he has a CC and he can just put it on there, she wants the hair. The guy pulls out his wallet and hands her a $ 100.00 and tells her that's all he has.
She grabs the money and proceeded to unleash a boatload of insult on the guy. From what I gather they had sexual contact and the older guy had promise her he was gonna buy her the hair.
As the guy is walking away he starts saying in Creole, look what type of mess he got himself in. Another shopper responded, that's good for your old arse what did you think such a young girl wanted with you.

He ignores her and continue to walk outside, the girl follows and continues to cuss the guy out threating his life. The older guy end up having to call the police cause she it got crazier outside.

That story is hilarious!!! :lachen:

Holla

But that's also controlled by their stylist & image consultants. And Michelle has a very tasteful weave. Some people would consider her hair long. Her length changes for different events

True. I've seen her IRL and I think she wears pieces every so often.

In any event, her hair (piece or not) is never really longer than shoulder length and Black men consider SL to be long hair. :look:

genesislocks

I'd say for Black women it is a status symbol because it is uncommon and therefore a novelty! You could be in a room full of women with long hair...but if a black lady walks in with hair past APL (and it's obviously all hers) she owns the room lol

I think it's Definitely a status symbol for black women regardless of their socioeconomic status. For women of other cultures, however, I agree with the other posters that 1) hair color and 2) quality hair extensions are more of a status symbol

Kindheart

I travel alot and this question made me think of all the poor Indian with hip lenght hair i ve seen.

it's all about how the hair is styled and mantained.
the coiffed bob is the hair style for upper /middle class 50+women and the shoulder lenght tousled style is the most common amongst the 30/40

Last edited:

rawsilk

Yes - at one point it was probably because of "breeding" but now, I think that it sends the message (sometimes erroneously) that you have had good nutrition, can afford to take care of yourself and you have more important things to do than figure out the weave color/texture du jour. I grew my hair out (after a major setback) with weaves and I can honestly say (as I mentioned in another thread) that now that I am wearing my own hair, I am treated with much more respect (deference even) than when I had ML weave. Can't wait to get my own hair back to that length -- in part, because I'm aware of the assumptions that people (men, women, black, white, young, old) make about Black women with their own long hair and ... I like it. Not gonna lie. I feel like I fit in more with my peer group. (Just saying.)

I also think that long hair transcends all social and professional constructs and environs. Many women with little/no education (or class in some instances) have "climbed up" on a rope of long hair -- through marriage or otherwise. No aspersions -- just an observation.

rawsilk

I think that Black women have to be encouraged to wean themselves off of other people's hair. I used it to grow out a set back but I swear, every time I go in a BSS for products, etc., those packs/wigs start calling.
^^^^^Wow. That is some serious business over some weave hair. :nono:

I'm beginning to wonder what (if any) effect LHCF and the whole hair care movement is having on weave. I think perhaps all of the women that are actually growing their REAL hair could be putting more pressure on the weave wearers. And maybe they think that since so many more women are growing long REAL hair that maybe they can slip their weaves past unsuspecting non-weave-dar having people.

Brownie

No. Hair is just hair. Short...long...has nothing to do with the wallet or status. Short hair isn't even a good indicator of how long someone's hair can grow because some decide to keep it short like Halle and Alicia Keys.

Last edited: