Would you teach a Class on Natural Hair Care in your Community??

Would you teach a Class on African American Natural Hair Care in Your community

• Yes!! We need it.

Votes: 74 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 15 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mswoman

I just finished watching the Trya and got mad when I heard of girls saying they don't like their hair. I got to thinking about how I felt a couple of weeks ago when I went on TV and was concerned about being natural. However, I got many compliments and others began going natural.

So I decided that I would call my local community group and teach a class to help women deal with their children's natural hair. The guy on the phone said we NEED you asap to get it started!
I got to thinking and wondered if you would ever do a class on natural hair care in your community so that our baby girls wont have to suffer with perms and messed up hair!!!!

I said it will be called how to Groom African American Natural Hair... if anyone has any other suggestions for a name let me know. The first thing I will tell them is to throw away that little small comb. With the fee they will get a big tooth comb and shea butter. This should give them a good start.

Ediese

That's a great idea. It's a good thing to spread the word around and make others aware of the beauty of their own natural hair. A lot of people are really clueless. I know I was. I'll be attending a Natural Hair class at a local salon too. I'm waiting for them to set up the next date.

To get an idea of what you might want to structure the class

This is what's included:

Natural Hair Care Bootcamp - CLASS 101

Become your own natural stylist
Learn the techniques the professionals use to care for your natural hair! This camp is designed to encourage you to take charge of your natural beauty at Home!
Kit Includes:

Complimentary 25 piece hair care survival kit

Each student will receive everything you need to become your own stylist.

Each student will receive
blow dryer, proper clips, combs, sleep wear, hair pics, mirror, professional scissors, earth's nectar hair product coupons and much more!

Class Includes:

• Hands on instruction for styling techniques
  • Learn to create professional natural two strand twist
  • Professional blow dry and trim
  • Beautiful twist out curls
  • Loc touch up maintenance
  • Straw setting
  • Flat twist
  • Fish tail and up do's
  • Progression of the kink
  • Past to present
  • Brief history on the rich history of our hair
  • beauty
  • Pre slavery - post slavery
  • Holistic advantges of natural hair care
  • How to transition from relaxed to natural
  • Hair-diet-nutrition
  • Tangle free shampoo techniques
  • Comb out without losing hair
  • How to properly remove extensions without breakage
  • Advantages of natural hair care products and moisture for natural hair
  • How to recognize scalp disorders
  • Identify traction alopecia
  • And much more ...
Afro mannequins provided for class instruction.
Mannequins can be purchased after class session.

Class Price: $200.00

http://naturalresourcessalon.com/classes.html

Last edited:

Dominican09

GREAT IDEA!!!...However, it is not wise to just send anybody out there to educate others...I suggest that anybody that would like to do this for their community should complete a workshop.

Ediese

I wish there were classes like this in every city. It could be sort of like a franchise. BlessedAngel would be such a great instructor if she taught a class for children with natural hair. I know my sister is always struggling with my niece's 4b hair.

lilsparkle825

I would love to, but I have reservations that I am not the most highly qualified. Yes, there are three different textures in my house and I have helped all three flourish, BUT they are family. Outside of this house, there is a world of doubts that would have to be overcome in order for me to take on something like that.

Good luck to ya!

PinkSkates

I just finished watching the Trya and got mad when I heard of girls saying they don't like their hair. I got to thinking about how I felt a couple of weeks ago when I went on TV and was concerned about being natural. However, I got many compliments and others began going natural.

So I decided that I would call my local community group and teach a class to help women deal with their children's natural hair. The guy on the phone said we NEED you asap to get it started!
I got to thinking and wondered if you would ever do a class on natural hair care in your community so that our baby girls wont have to suffer with perms and messed up hair!!!!

I said it will be called how to Groom African American Natural Hair... if anyone has any other suggestions for a name let me know. The first thing I will tell them is to throw away that little small comb. With the fee they will get a big tooth comb and shea butter. This should give them a good start.
If I had the time, I would do it in a heartbeat! My first message would be,
Fall In Love With Your Real, Natural Hair...and take it from there...

mswoman

Thanks for the many suggestions!!! I will call it Basics to Natural African-American Hair Care, there are many people in my community whom have adopted black children and I so I also want to help educate them.

I will be referring them to a beauty salon if they have special situations however, there are not many good ones in the area. Two of them burned my hair twice because it was "nappy" and when I said it was burning they kept it on longer to get it straight. So I know from experience they would be quick to throw perms on them.

I really love intro of of falling in love with your real hair. I have a lady at my church who is a beautician so I'll be talking to her too.

If I had the time, I would do it in a heartbeat! My first message would be,

Fall In Love With Your Real, Natural Hair...and take it from there...

mstar

Luxury bacon
What a great idea. I'd love to see more professional hairstylists taking classes in natural hair care...we desperately need hairdressers who understand the basic principles of black hair care. The information they learn in a "natural hair care" class could actually also help them teach their relaxed clients how to care for their new growth/line of demarcation/relaxed ends.

I'd definitely sign up for a hair care class taught by Ms. PinkSkates! :grin:

NappyMD

I think the optimal thing would be taking a class as mentioned above, then teaching, but it could be a layman's class. You'd be surprised how much those of us who have been natural and used np and lhcf know! A few weeks ago I would have said I don't have the knowlege, but I noticed I can teach my sister in law so much about her daughter's hair. Then I got to thinking - I can grow my hair, I can braid, I can twist, I can detangle, I can do wash n go's, I can texturize without heat, I can even do extensions now! If I learned cornrows my class would be off the heezy!!! :lachen:

especially in my community, experts are hard to find. So I would do it for free, and would incorporate health/diet/fitness/skincare. This would be good for me because I could use my MD as my angle. Ooh, I'll call it "embracing your black health and beauty". The cost will be 2 books for reference and the price of basic tools! God knows I'm busy, but I would love to give back! :yep:

would you consist starting a challenge filled with tips and tricks for those of us interested in educating our community?

natstar

I would. I think I know more about caring for natural hair than a lot of natural hair care "professionals"

*~*Afrolicious*~*

I would and have been giving tips since I've gone natural to friends. One thing I've learned is that if you're a natural that has a defined curl pattern people just won't listen to you. The main thing I'm asked is what products do I use to get a more defined curl pattern, not what can I do to make my hair healthy and long. If their type of hair does not take well to curl-defining products then a good number of people I know just and give up. They feel that relaxing their hair is "the only way to deal with 'bad' hair and make it grow." SMH Trying to break through deep levels of self-hatred is a tough job :/

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

Yes I would do it. I've been thinking of doing this for some time now but decided to concentrate on my own business. But this is much needed.

LoveLiLi

I would love to teach a class about natural hair. Great idea!

Of course, I'd have a couple of guest lecturers to help me out in things I don't do myself (locs, cornrows).

mswoman

It's weird but I just came from my church conference and everyone was feeling my daughters "bouncy" natural twist. It was funny because I think they expected them to be hard but I encouraged them to touch her hair and many were surprised that her hair is really soft. I told them it's all natural!

would you consist starting a challenge filled with tips and tricks for those of us interested in educating our community?
I think it would be excellent if you started a thread for tips and tricks for us! I will be happy to contribute

That's awesome! So does one not need any certification or anything to teach a class?
No certification needed for insruction. At the community center anyone can teach classes from personal knowledge. For example I am Mary Kay consultant so when I started teaching classes I was told the difference in professions with certificate and ones without. Those without a certification can not touch the person, i.e. apply make up or touch someones hair. However, I can instruct others on how to do it. By telling them how to do it or using something like a statue hair model (can't think of the name).

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I would take the class. I can't braid, so I'm automatically disqualified as the teacher.:blush: We NEED something like this so people would not automatically think that their natural hair is ugly.:rolleyes:

yamilee21

... One thing I've learned is that if your a natural that has a defined curl pattern people just won't listen to you. ...

In light of last week's threads on the subject, I was just thinking this same thing. My cousins with Type 4 have been open-minded about some suggestions I have made, but I would not dare approach the topic with people who didn't know me. I do agree that such workshops would be beneficial though.

CheLala13

I think it's a great idea! If I had gone natural sooner, this is something I would have liked to have at my school.