IS RELAXED HAIR MORE PRONE TO SPLIT ENDS THAN.....

Re: IS RELAXED HAIR MORE PRONE TO SPLIT ENDS THAN.

grin.gif
We can't wait to see some new pics!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
[ QUOTE ]
Cat_Eyed_Cutie said:
I'm relaxed and I trim every 3 months if needed. I've gone as long as 9 months without needing a trim. When I was natural (which was when I was younger) my mom used to have to "trim" (it was more like a cut
laugh.gif
) my hair every 2 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

did she use a lot of heat in your hair????
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No not at all...she would wash, condition, air dry then cornrow it. I had my hair pressed on special occasions (Christmas, Easter) but that was it. I use far more heat now and don't have a problem with my ends.

Thanks, Patience....

Umsumayyah --- you may see some pics sooner than you think.....I am itching to do the BC>>>>>>>>
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

shocked.gif
Why are you playing w/our emotions? Did I read wrong earlier or did you say that you would NOT do the BC? Are you curious as to what you would look like or just anxious to get the process started?

Just to re-iterate what everyone has said, you will be beautiful either which way, but you gotta girl confused over here!
smile.gif

Congratulations SherryLove! I myself noticed split ends in my relaxed hair but very few in my natural hair. I trim every 3 months out of habit but only take 1/4"-1/2" off. "Going natural" is such a fun journey! I transitioned for 6 months and bc'd and I intially "liked" my hair but was in love with it after I learned what to do with it. I had worn a relaxer for 12 years of my life and when I chopped I was like...
look.gif
...Then after I started experimenting with all the info I learned from np.com and naturallycurly.com, loving how I could wet it EVERYDAY(when it was shorter, can't do that now unless I want some hellafied tangles
wink.gif
), I was and am truly in love with my natural hair. You said you can't wait to wear it in twists, honey, let me tell ya, that is my DAILY style and I love them. All the fellas at work just play in my hair like I am some kind of babydoll. I have to slap their hands every single day.

One guy last night, who I have worked with since the big chop, has seen my hair transform from my short beautiful fro to my long, swinging, nearly bra-strap length twists(in their stretched state) and said, "Mica, your hair is so pretty it looks like a weave". I was like, "Uhh, Thanks!!"
whip.gif
He then saw my face and was like, "No, I didn't mean it like that, I just meant it is so rare to see a black woman with their "real" natural hair looking so da*n beautiful!":eek:. Again congratulations on your decision, you won't regret it.

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
shocked.gif
Why are you playing w/our emotions? Did I read wrong earlier or did you say that you would NOT do the BC? Are you curious as to what you would look like or just anxious to get the process started?

Just to re-iterate what everyone has said, you will be beautiful either which way, but you gotta girl confused over here!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DD--I think I am sort of anxious to get rid of this relaxed hair....I am kinda battling with whether to go for the BC or do it slowly...Girl, I am undecided....But the one thing I am sure about is going natural....
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
I was wondering if relaxed hair is more prone to get split ends than natural hair is????I would think yes because it is in a more fragile state.....What are your thoughts????Especially the ladies who have transitioned back to nature.....Do you find your hair has less split ends than it did when it was relaxed??? I am curious to know...As some of you ladies know,,, I am seriously contemplating returning my tresses back to their natural state ....

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen only 1-2 split ends total since I have went natural (Nov 2003)...no exaggeration whatsoever...and I have had no breakage as well
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
micarae said:
Congratulations SherryLove! I myself noticed split ends in my relaxed hair but very few in my natural hair. I trim every 3 months out of habit but only take 1/4"-1/2" off. "Going natural" is such a fun journey! I transitioned for 6 months and bc'd and I intially "liked" my hair but was in love with it after I learned what to do with it. I had worn a relaxer for 12 years of my life and when I chopped I was like...
look.gif
...Then after I started experimenting with all the info I learned from np.com and naturallycurly.com, loving how I could wet it EVERYDAY(when it was shorter, can't do that now unless I want some hellafied tangles
wink.gif
), I was and am truly in love with my natural hair. You said you can't wait to wear it in twists, honey, let me tell ya, that is my DAILY style and I love them. All the fellas at work just play in my hair like I am some kind of babydoll. I have to slap their hands every single day.

One guy last night, who I have worked with since the big chop, has seen my hair transform from my short beautiful fro to my long, swinging, nearly bra-strap length twists(in their stretched state) and said, "Mica, your hair is so pretty it looks like a weave". I was like, "Uhh, Thanks!!"
whip.gif
He then saw my face and was like, "No, I didn't mean it like that, I just meant it is so rare to see a black woman with their "real" natural hair looking so da*n beautiful!":eek:. Again congratulations on your decision, you won't regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]

micarae---thanks so much.....your journey to naturaldom is so inspiring.....I just cannot thank all of the other natural beauties here enough for being so supportive of my decision to go natural.......I admire their courage and determination to show that we too have beautiful hair that we are often not shown how to care for properly. I am going to be too beside myself when i am sporting natural healthy hair. The comments from the naysayers will go in one ear and out of the other......
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I asked my maternal grandma last night did I ever have any split ends when i was younger and my hair was natural. She said laughingly, "I never had to cut that big ole bush of yours. I kept it greased, twisted and platted it. You da one who start cutting and messing your hair up once you put that stuff in it."
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I had to laugh, but it was so refreshing to hear. If she did my hair in its natural state (up to the age of 13), there is no reason why I cannot do it myself once I put my mind to it....

I spoke to my SO about it, and he is very excited. He's being wanting me to go natural for a while now. He always said that when I would show him my pics when i was younger.....He was always upset about how the relaxer thinned my hair out, and how much healthier it looked in a natural state.......He would always say, you should really go natural again......Well, now I have made up mind to do it, and he will finally get his wish.....
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Sherry Love I think you going natural is WONDERFUL. I personaly love the look of MY relaxed hair but one of my very good friends decided to go natural and I have been braiding her hair for her to help her transition.

I only had problems with split ends when I was using a curling iron on a weekly basis. Ever since giving up blow dryers, curling iorns and flat irons there has been a dramatic change in my ends.

You are so welcome lady, I am more than happy to help. As far as those naysayers, do just that...let it go in one ear and out the other, 'cause most will just say stuff out of habit and ignorance. It's funny about what you said about your grandmother. My paternal grandmother wore her hair in a long braid that was past her butt, that she kept bunned in the back(only during the day...she only took it down at night to comb it and braid it back up for bed) for most of my childhood. She has never had any chemicals in her hair. She is now 70 and keeps it cut short but it is oh so natural and beautiful. When I told her I was going natural, she said, "Good, I am glad, every woman SHOULD sometime in their life." That did it for me! I love my Granny.
rosebud.gif
Congratulations again! Any questions, pm me.
wave.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
Oh i just read the thread and I see that youve reached a decision!!!! Congrats
clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, Ayeshia.....Another inspiration for me.... I guess I will be sure to keep heat(direct, indirect) out of hair........

micarae --- thanks for the invitation....i probably will be pming you with questions.....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
simplycee said:
Sherry Love I think you going natural is WONDERFUL. I personaly love the look of MY relaxed hair but one of my very good friends decided to go natural and I have been braiding her hair for her to help her transition.

I only had problems with split ends when I was using a curling iron on a weekly basis. Ever since giving up blow dryers, curling iorns and flat irons there has been a dramatic change in my ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Simplycee....You too are another inspiration.....
smile.gif
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
Oh i just read the thread and I see that youve reached a decision!!!! Congrats
clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, Ayeshia.....Another inspiration for me.... I guess I will be sure to keep heat(direct, indirect) out of hair........

micarae --- thanks for the invitation....i probably will be pming you with questions.....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the heat can hinder. Actually I am aching to do a blowout but since my blowdryer blew a fuse I had to throw it away. So the heat challenge is going to be much easier for me
laugh.gif
11 more months to go
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
simplycee said:

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I rarely see a split end since I gave up the heating utensils.

I not sure if natural hair has fewer split ends because I still have relaxed ends on my hair. but even so my relaxed hair barely gets split ends at all since i stopped using heat.

Sherrylove! congrats on your decision to go natural!

[ QUOTE ]
silvergirl said:
I not sure if natural hair has fewer split ends because I still have relaxed ends on my hair. but even so my relaxed hair barely gets split ends at all since i stopped using heat.

Sherrylove! congrats on your decision to go natural!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks SilverGirl......
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I have not seen one split end since I went natural. My hair had little breakage when I was relaxed, but it has no breakage now. I big chopped in february and haven't seen any split ends or breakage since.

[ QUOTE ]
cocoa2122 said:
I have not seen one split end since I went natural. My hair had little breakage when I was relaxed, but it has no breakage now. I big chopped in february and haven't seen any split ends or breakage since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your tresses - - Very nice and natural.......
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

If you do a big chop you will have my support. Your hair is long as heck and it will grow back in no time. Plus, i'm sure you will look beautiful . Congrats!
smile.gif

Congrats Sherrylove! Whether you BC or transition, I know your hair will look awesome
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
NGC said:
Congrats Sherrylove! Whether you BC or transition, I know your hair will look awesome
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks nubianangel and NGC......With all this support, I know I am doing a good thing....YES.......
bdance.gif
bdance.gif
bdance.gif

This is amazing to hear a long haired relaxed woman transitioning. There must be a lot of inspiration goin on from naturals. I wonder how many more relaxed women will decide to transition to natural. I wonder if we transitioners will survive.

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
You ladies are so inspirational as well as informative. Thank U..... The relaxer that was put in my hair last month will definitely be the last.........Given the way I take good care of my tresses, I probably would not have to trim my hair often at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

What day in April did u get your last relaxer? Mine was April 27. We might be transitioning around the same time!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
This is amazing to hear a long haired relaxed woman transitioning. There must be a lot of inspiration goin on from naturals. I wonder how many more relaxed women will decide to transition to natural. I wonder if we transitioners will survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks again Dreemssold.....

PB -- it would not surprise me if more women will begin transitioning...I am seeing that a lot of sistas are fed up with the chemical crack.....
smile.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
During my lunch, I saw several (about 3)beautiful sistas sporting TWAs....They looked so regal...See, now that I am in a different mindset, these beautiful sistas stand out to me.

As for me, I will definitely survive my transition period; and soon I will once again be a happy nappy headed chick.....
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
You ladies are so inspirational as well as informative. Thank U..... The relaxer that was put in my hair last month will definitely be the last.........Given the way I take good care of my tresses, I probably would not have to trim my hair often at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

What day in April did u get your last relaxer? Mine was April 27. We might be transitioning around the same time!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

April 10 for me......
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks again Dreemssold.....

PB -- it would not surprise me if more women will begin transitioning...I am seeing that a lot of sistas are fed up with the chemical crack .....
smile.gif
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh-oh! You're not supposed to be using language like this!
naughty.gif
Didn't you read the 50 pg thread on the use of inflamatory words?

(LOLOLOL
lachen70.gif
)

Congratulations on your decision. As for the question of split ends when i pressed all the time i had lots of them but since ive stopped they are very few.

Back