Is self-relaxing the answer??!! Please help.

KaramelDiva1978

Ladies,
So I've been noticing everyone's length and thickness and wondering what I can do to achieve both. I've never had a probably before with length or thickness, but it seems lately, my thickness is disappearing. I've looked at the pictures of everyone's hair and mine appears thinner, my ponytails even look thin. :perplexed

I'm wondering if its because my stylist is relaxing me bone straight and then he even gripes when I go past 6 weeks. Is he trippin' or am I?

I used to do my own relaxers all the time, but then I started going back to a stylist b/c when I do, my roller wraps are flawless!!

Please help on thickening with length!!

This is where I am currently:

February 2007

gymfreak336

Here is the thing.....Before you try self relaxing, try a different stylist first. If after explaining your concerns to him, he still won't do what you ask, then you need to take your business else where.

Self relaxing is benefical to alot of people, I myself self relax most of the time BUT just as a bad trip to a salon can set you back, so can a bad trip to yourself. I underprocessed myself BADLY 3 times this year. Looking back at it, I would have reacted differently. Before you decide what to do, check out the self relaxing sticky. Don't forget to practice with conditioner a couple of times first, timing yourself as you go.

Hope this helps.

KaramelDiva1978

Thanks Gymfreak,
I'm considering that option too. But when you talk relaxer, its scary allowing a different stylist to take on that task. I did look in the sticky and found some great tips that I had forgotten about from Sistaslick. I'm also planning to step up my moisturizing, protective styling to stretch a little longer.

Please keep the info comin!!

locabouthair

I don't think your hair is thin. But do you think you can go longer than 6 weeks? Maybe stretching your relaxers can help with the thickness. And make sure your stylist is only not overlapping your relaxers.

lboogie2679

Are you noticing breakage and that's what is thinning your hair? If so it could be overlapping. Since I started stretching I have noticed a difference in the thickness of my hair. I am in the process of slowly trimming off my overprocessed ends, but my hair is definitely thickening up.

KaramelDiva1978

Locaabouthair,
I have stretched before, like 8 weeks at the maximum and I never noticed any breakage and like I said my stylist never mentioned it either. I know my hair is the FOOL :yep: when I stretch b/c the newgrowth is so darn thick!!! But I guess, I could put a protective oil on my actual hair before I go and that will give me some protection in case my perm is overlapping here and there. I've gone 10 weeks in braids and I knew this was too long b/c I couldn't care for it like I needed to since it was protected.

Lboogie,
Thankfully, I haven't had any breakage or pieces or tons of shedding either. My main observation has been that I would like my hair to be thicker all over, instead of just the newgrowth. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure what overprocessing looks like, because my ends are healthy and like I said, no damage.

Maybe its something else, now I'm confused.:perplexed

Thanks ladies!!

Tracy

Big time cosign.

Here is the thing.....Before you try self relaxing, try a different stylist first. If after explaining your concerns to him, he still won't do what you ask, then you need to take your business else where.

Self relaxing is benefical to alot of people, I myself self relax most of the time BUT just as a bad trip to a salon can set you back, so can a bad trip to yourself. I underprocessed myself BADLY 3 times this year. Looking back at it, I would have reacted differently. Before you decide what to do, check out the self relaxing sticky. Don't forget to practice with conditioner a couple of times first, timing yourself as you go.

Hope this helps.

KaramelDiva1978

Okay y'all, I think I found a resolution. I looked at a post someone else asked about overprocessed hair. My hair doesn't fit the bill, thank you LAWD!!! :lachen: So what I'm gonna do, is stretch my 8 weeks and I do love my stylist, he's gotten me to BSL before a few years ago. To add to my thickness, I'm going to ask him to relax me on 90% instead of "oh-so-straight". I don't think I'm limp, bone straight, but I'm close to there.

We have a good relationship, he and I, so I think he will listen.

Thank y'all so much!!