Is Stretching Beneficial??

**WonderWoman**

I actually see some progress in your comparison shots. It looks like the top part of your hair grew longer and your hair has more body. But I guess progress is in the eye of the beholder and means different things to different people. Greater body = progress to me. :yep:

drasgrl

I stretch 12 weeks. I stretch because I think it's healthier for my hair not to add chemicals as often. I don't need to relax as often. Years ago I would go a long, long time between relaxers but that's when I was also putting heat in my hair, which I no longer do.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Stretching allows m to give my hair a break. I see Healthier and thicker hair after a stretch. My last stretch was 31 weeks. It was worth it.

janeemat

I'm trying to stretch for the first time in my life. Before I was relaxing every 5-6 weeks. Now I'm trying to push to about 8-10 weeks if possible.

I've noticed a lot of people who stretch "hide" their hair under wigs, etc between relaxers for protection. But what's the point in stretching and doing what's necessary to have healthier hair if you can't enjoy it and you're constantly camouflaging it?

I want to stretch AND enjoy my hair, but some people on here make me feel like it's impossible to do both :sad:.

I have stretched up to 14 wks and don't wigs, weaves or braids. I stretch by rollersetting and finger combing into buns.

kiesha8185

I was just thinking about this practice. Is stretching relaxers beneficial? Your hair already grows... and it has nothing to do with the permed portion. You're not giving your hair a break because the hair that you perm is only the new growth. I could be wrong though. Could someone explain this? Why do you stretch? TIA:yep:

Stretching is beneficial is you can figure out how to do it without breakage :yep: That is the hard part. The easy part is trying to look cute with 5 inches of new growth on your head :drunk: That's why twists-outs, scarves, and big earrings were my besest friends :lachen:

I stretched for 32 weeks and it gave my hair a lot of thickness, and had noticeable progress/length. Stretching makes my hair healthier overall because of the "relaxer run=off" that goes on already-relaxed hair can cause dryness and breakage (especially if the hairdresser does not neutralize properly!)

I also like stretching because it reduces to chance of overlapping already relaxed portions. It is much more likely to overlap the relaxer if you have 1 inch of new growth (if you wait 8 weeks to relax) as opposed to 2-3 inches of new growth.

My last relaxer was in December 07 and I don't plan on relaxing again until this December 2008.

Ivy_Butter

I stretched for 5 months, and had no progess.

Here is my September 07 pick and my january 08 pick. Hair is the same length.

It might of been heat usage. It could be i didnt retain any length because of my using to much heat to straighten the new growth, but i will only be stretching for every 3 months now.

Your hair is definitely not the same length in both photos. The second picture shows considerable growth and evening out.

charmtreese

I have stretched up to 14 wks and don't wigs, weaves or braids. I stretch by rollersetting and finger combing into buns.

This is the exact method that I use to stretch.

Normally i stretch anywhere from 12-20 weeks (or longer). This year Im going to relax 3x's. I find stretching beneficial for the same reasons the other ladies have mentioned.

GrowinLonger

I was just thinking about this practice. Is stretching relaxers beneficial? Your hair already grows... and it has nothing to do with the permed portion. You're not giving your hair a break because the hair that you perm is only the newgrowth. I could be wrong though. Could someone explain this? Why do you stretch? TIA:yep:

Siggy: Texture: 2PZ :lachen::lachen:

Hey Fellow Philly native! :grin:

CokoQt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyeyes3616
I stretched for 5 months, and had no progess.

Here is my September 07 pick and my january 08 pick. Hair is the same length.

It might of been heat usage. It could be i didnt retain any length because of my using to much heat to straighten the new growth, but i will only be stretching for every 3 months now.

My hair does a lot better when I stay away from heat during stretching. I stretched for a similar time frame last year and had little progress, but I know it was due to using using heat frequently. Even though I was using products that minimized heat damage, I had not used heat in a long time so I could tell the difference. This time around, I am staying away from the flat iron and using other ways to deal with the new growth like flexirod sets and protective styles. I usually stretch for 12 weeks.

Your hair does appear fuller though so I would just minimize using heat if you try stretching again.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Thank you so much ladies for helping me out to understand stretching, I really appreciate it!

Miss_Jetsetter

Chemicals seem to wreck havoc on my hair so stretching is a must for me. Although I generally stretch for 6 months at a time, I probably could safely do 4 months. 3 is what I used to do before I joined the forums.

kimmi

Yes yes yes... It gives your hair time to grow and your scalp time to rejuvenate. If you look at the albums of the women on this board that have the most beautiful long hair..they usually stretch for about 2 to 3 months. If you get a relaxer every 3 months then you just need to get one four times a year which is cheaper and safer for your hair and scalp. To keep your hair looking good in between I highly suggest that you flat iron your new growth with a heat protectant on it of course and only wash your hair once every other week to minimize breakage.

bxshayshay4u

I have gone 5months without a relaxer:perplexed this is the longest i have gone in my whole 2o years of LYFE:spinning:

I used to get relaxers every 3months but ever since i joined the forums i learned so much about taking care of my hair and my hair and I is finally getting along :cheers:

These 5months i have been hiding my hair under a wig, moisturizing and sealing daily and co-washing and DC weekly:fairy:

I have been controlling my ng by keeping it moisturized... my bday is in june so i dont plan on getting a relaxer until then. That will be 8months a without a relaxer and i hope i will see results from the stretch:strong:

Check out my hair journery and wig tutorials on youtube :bouncy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UnPTuRubHI