Is there a such thing as Sunscreen for the hair??

PassionFruit

Im going to the beach for 8 days.... dont wanna leave with sun bleached fried hair...

for the ocean & hotel pool, I plan on using cheapie leave-in and swimming cap... then nightly I will use baking soda mixed with cheapie conditioner to co-wash... I dont want to/feel comfy actually shampooing daily.... at the end of the week I will likely use aloe rid or similar then Henna followed by DC...

but my biggest area of concern is the sun damage.... my skin doesnt react well to sun, I burn EASILY and usually limit my sun exposure but I dont wanna mess up too much of my kids beach fun..... Is there sunscreen for the hair?? or maybe is it OK to put sunscreen meant for skin, on my hair?

JustKiya

I don't know about the body sunscreen on your hair - isn't most of that stuff in a petroleum jelly base? :perplexed I dunno - I wouldn't start there...

I know there are some hair products with UV protection in them - usually ones meant for dyed hair, if I remember right - you might try strolling through a BSS and seeing if you can find a gel or leave-in with UV protection....

And girl, WHO is that in your siggy????? He is strolling something *puts on Tyra voice* FIERCE though!!! :lachen:

fluffylocks

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=beauty&field-keywords=hair sunscreen&page=1

Then you can try a hat, scarf or bandanna (if you can find some cute ones:ohwell:)

I also want to say for your skin, maybe you can try those Helicore sun pills or antioxidants they say is good, also MSM 30 min before going outside

-Also they have sunscreen wipes for your face
-Sunscreen powder you can dust on your face/body i saw at ULTA
-Sunscreen things you put in the washer or dryer that give your clothes like a SPF30 instead of the natural 8 and last a an amount of washes
-and eucerin, aveeno, and i think palmers make a new body moisturizers with SPF 15
-Lots of those companys are making complete hairspray like sunscreen at 45 spf and higher
-And lastly St.Ives makes a new face wash with SPF 10

just in case you havent seen those things yet

BrooklynSouth

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=beauty&field-keywords=hair sunscreen&page=1

Then you can try a hat, scarf or bandanna (if you can find some cute ones:ohwell:)

I also want to say for your skin, maybe you can try those Helicore sun pills or antioxidants they say is good, also MSM 30 min before going outside

-Also they have sunscreen wipes for your face
-Sunscreen powder you can dust on your face/body i saw at ULTA
-Sunscreen things you put in the washer or dryer that give your clothes like a SPF30 instead of the natural 8 and last a an amount of washes
-and eucerin, aveeno, and i think palmers make a new body moisturizers with SPF 15
-Lots of those companys are making complete hairspray like sunscreen at 45 spf and higher
-And lastly St.Ives makes a new face wash with SPF 10

just in case you havent seen those things yet

Yup, there's your sunscreen..those lotions, leave-ins are not it!

Coffee

Don't quote me, but I thought I read where Shea butter was a great sunblock. I plan on wearing a hat with spf 50 woven in when we go to the Bahamas in July. I'm also going to take a 50 spf sunblock for me & my grandddaughter's face and body.

When I when to Jamaica yonks ago, I used Keratase Soleil range. It's formulated for coloured hair but, it helped with my relaxed hair.

ladylibra

there's a thread on this forum about summer hair, but the search feature isn't working... :nono:

supposedly, olive oil is supposed to help. and i know i've seen spray-on sun block that people use on their hair.

discobiscuits

there's a thread on this forum about summer hair, but the search feature isn't working... :nono:

supposedly, olive oil is supposed to help. and i know i've seen spray-on sun block that people use on their hair.

I was uncertain about which thread to post in but I think this one applies.

I'm looking for a good sunscreen for my scalp. I've decided to go back to cornrows for a little while. Here are some that I've found, LHCF members, please share your thoughts and experiences...

Phytoplage Protective Sun Veil Spray

Shea Pomade by Hamadi

Product Description
Product Description
Classic Grooming Aid For Short Hair Essential Oils: Bergamot and Ylang Ylang For no-nonsense dos. Creates slick, spiky and tousled looks. Naturally occurring moisturizing sunscreen in shea butter protects hair and scalp from harmful rays

Important Information Ingredients
available in 4 and 8 oz. bottles. Shea Pomade Ingredients (INCI): Shea Butter* (Butyrospermum Parkii), Bergamot (Citrus Bergamia) Oil*, Ylang Ylang (Cananga Odorata) Oil*.

Baby Blanket Sunscreen Spray for Babies Scalp, SPF 45+

Bald Guyz Sunscreen SPF 30+ for the Bald Head Mens

(I KNOW but if it is for a scalp then I figure I can use it on my scalp)

California Baby Super Sensitive Hair Conditioner

Tell me which one to get.

If you all have more suggestions, let me know.
Thanks.

AsTheCurlzTurns

Funny this post was made while I was surfing around for me a new camera. I came across this site, and had to go back and find it since it applies to this thread.

***I don't know anything about it, but just thought I'd post it for just in case***

http://suncareking.com/

ladylibra

thank you jenniferohjenny! :yep: i don't know which one is best, but remember sun block does wear off and you're supposed to reapply it every few hours or so to your skin. so i'd carry that concept over to hair as well if you want the best protection possible.

silverlotus

I don't have any suggestions for suncreen (gymfreak might have some ideas) but I just wanted to say baking soda nightly is prolly too harsh for the hair. You should be fine just cowashing and then using the aloe rid at the end of the week.

Casarela

YUP I bought this redken LONG orange/reddish tube from redken its UV Protection very good

Im going to the beach for 8 days.... dont wanna leave with sun bleached fried hair...

for the ocean & hotel pool, I plan on using cheapie leave-in and swimming cap... then nightly I will use baking soda mixed with cheapie conditioner to co-wash... I dont want to/feel comfy actually shampooing daily.... at the end of the week I will likely use aloe rid or similar then Henna followed by DC...

but my biggest area of concern is the sun damage.... my skin doesnt react well to sun, I burn EASILY and usually limit my sun exposure but I dont wanna mess up too much of my kids beach fun..... Is there sunscreen for the hair?? or maybe is it OK to put sunscreen meant for skin, on my hair?

gymfreak336

I just use regular sunscreen on my hair. Alter Ego has a new sunprotection line out. Redken's solar line is good too.

maddywoo13

Neutrogena's Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave claims to have a UV shield in theirs. That should be just as good, right? I just really love how it makes my hair feels when I put it on

RubyWoo

Joico Sun Therapy Line---If you're looking for a leave-in w/UV protection, they have the Sun Therapy Protective Sun Milk.