SPF/sunscreen for the hair, what do you use?

frizzy

Since summer will be here soon, what do you ladies use to protect your hair from the harmful rays of the sun?

I have found a hair polisher and a serum that have a sunscreen, but I don't like to use a lot of cones. Does anybody know of any other products that will protect the hair from the sun?

P.S.--I will edit in the names of the two products I have with sunscreen protection in them later.

TIA

frizzy

I usually mix a little coppertone and some water and put it in a spray bottle.

Gym, do you do this after washing and conditioning while the hair is wet? Do you think one application lasts until the next wash day or do you do this each time prior to when you know you will be in the sun for an extended time?

You always have a solution to our LHCF needs, thanks for all of your input. :love:

JustKiya

:lachen:

Do you use shea butter? That's what I relied on when I was natural. Too much sun will make the hair crispy and dry.

:lol: I prefer shealoe - that might make a difference. I'll keep it in mind this summer - if my hair starts acting out...... Then, I'm usually in a scarf when I'm outside, now that I think about it, cuz I'm usually doing SOMETHING dirty (gardening, festivaling, bbq'ing) and I don't want the dust (and/or bugs) in my hair.

fluffylocks

Yeah clothing has like a SPF 8 or something right?

This summer im using Elasta Qp H-Two leavin spray, and Fantasia IC Sheabutter oilsheen
I think the sunscreen in them is "Benzophen" (dont know if thats exactly how you spell it.

frizzy

I have H-two, I never heard of this Benzophen stuff, i'll look into that. Thanks fluffylocks!

ETA--Here is what I found on benzophenes:

Determination of benzophenones in a cosmetic matrix by supercritical fluid extraction and capillary electrophoresis

Shu-Ping Wang , and Wen-Tsong Lee
Department of Applied Chemistry, Providence University, 200 Chungchi Road, Shalu, Taichung, Hsien 43301, Taiwan

Available online 11 December 2002.

Abstract

Benzophenones are common additives in commercial sunscreen products. These UV absorbers were extracted by supercritical fluid extraction (SFE), and then analyzed by capillary zone electrophoresis (CZE) and high-performance liquid chromatography. This study was applied to identify the contents of benzophenones in cosmetic matrix, and simultaneously, to investigate the behavior of migration in CZE. Adding non-ionic surfactant (Tween 20) to optimize the separation in the CZE operation improves resolution. In SFE, we chose carbon dioxide with 2.5% modifier of 10% aqueous phosphoric acid–MeOH (1:1) as the supercritical fluid. Real recoveries of up to 92% with relative standard deviations of less than 4.0% were achieved. These analytical techniques were also applied to assay benzophenones for ten commercial sunscreen cosmetics. We found benzophenone 3 was the most commonly used sunscreen additive in Taiwan.

Author Keywords: Benzophenones; Tween 20 Subject-index terms: Cosmetics; Sunscreens; Supercritical fluid extraction

Corresponding author. Tel.: +886-4-2632-8001x15201; fax: +886-4-2632-7554.

Journal of Chromatography A
Volume 987, Issues 1-2, 14 February 2003, Pages 269-275

Last edited:

fluffylocks

I have H-two, I never heard of this Benzophen stuff, i'll look into that. Thanks fluffylocks!

You welcome!

Its called Benzophenone-4....
H-two has alot of extracts before the ingredient water, after Water there are 14 more solid ingredeints, Benzo is the 7/8 ingredient.

frizzy

This is priceless info, during my search it showed a lot of J/A/S/O/N products and some other natural skincare products that use this ingredient. Thanks for sharing another healthy ingredient to look for!