Is this normal for transitioning hair?

AmyRose92

Hi everyone! I don't know if this has already been addressed on another thread, and if it is, sorry for asking again :perplexed

But, I'm transitioning right now and I'm almost 9 months post. It's definitely stressful dealing with two different textures and most of my hair is natural (since my hair is in layers, the layers in the front and on the sides are really short, like halfway to CL while it gets longer in the back; longest being past SL). I'm doing a low-manipulation regimen, only combing when I'm washing out the conditioner and no brushing. I'm wearing a full wig as protective style.

But the question is, is it normal for transitioning/natural hair to be usually dry? I would moisturize with this Nexxus Humectress Moisturizing spray, but after it while, it'll just be dry again. Is this normal or am I not moisturizing enough?

Nubenap22

I would like to know this also? Have you tried any butters or natural products? Afroveda and QB serum works wonders for me

BrooklynSouth

No, I had no serious problems with dryness as I transitioned. I wore wigs everyday except weekends. I kept my hair in cornrows, twists and braids beneath the wigs. I conditioner shampooed most times and used leave-ins and oils daily. I focused my attention on the ends because my goal was to gain length before the big chop. Anytime I felt my hair was going dry I'd baggy over night.

pookaloo83

I would like to know as well. I think I may try Afroveda and see if that helps. My new growth is really dry.

ceebee3

No your hair shouldn't be dry. My hair has a tendency to be dry but I never let it go there. You need to add more intense moisture.

Dommo

No your hair shouldn't be dry. My hair has a tendency to be dry but I never let it go there. You need to add more intense moisture.

I agree. You may need to use a more moisturizing DC and if you are keeping you hair under a full wig, that can contribute to added dryness as well because your scalp and hair are not getting the necessary air circulation.. Have you ever used Qhemet biologics heavy cream. Its perfect if you're hiding your hair because it will leave your hair super moisturized until your next wash.

naturalmanenyc

When I transitioned I also noticed that my new growth was dry. The natural oil from the scalp cannot travel easily down my 4a curls so I had to search for a moisturizing product. I tried so many things but settled on Shea Moisture Shea Butter leave-in. I use it on damp (not wet) hair and braid or twist my hair. I also put oil on the ends (about the last inch of so of my hair). It has helped tremendously.

Check out this video for how to apply a shea butter mixture (mine is premixed). I also now use Giovanni Smooth as Silk (Deeper Moisture) poo & condish and they work well for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Du_5CFYkoc

I will warn you, my relaxed hair and natural hair liked different products. Things that worked for me early on did not work later and products that I gave up on in the beginning now work well. I transitioned for 2 years.

Platinum

When was the last time you clarified your hair? You may have excess product build-up on your hair. If you have hard water, you have mineral deposits. Try using a chelating shampoo and see if that helps. Your moisturizer should be more effective once you remove build-up.

SEMO

How often do you moisturize? Daily would be ideal.

I can't remember having problems with dryness during my transition. But wearing buns all the time definitely helped with that (really helped keep the moisture in my hair by having less of it exposed to the elements).

pookaloo83

When was the last time you clarified your hair? You may have excess product build-up on your hair. If you have hard water, you have mineral deposits. Try using a chelating shampoo and see if that helps. Your moisturizer should be more effective once you remove build-up.

You are so right. I clarified last night and I really see a difference in my hair. :yep: I see a pattern now. When I clarify I don't have the dryness

AmyRose92

Well last night I had DCed with Creme of Nature Nourishing Conditioner and my hair felt unbelievably soft and moisturized. I airdried until it was slightly damp and I sprayed the Nexxus Humectress Moisturizing spray. It felt moisturized and manageable but after a while, it felt REALLY dry. I think maybe because the spray isn't the type of moisturizing product that I need and because I've been spraying it a bit sparingly. I have pure shea butter but I seriously have to melt it before I could do anything with it.

AmyRose92

I agree. You may need to use a more moisturizing DC and if you are keeping you hair under a full wig, that can contribute to added dryness as well because your scalp and hair are not getting the necessary air circulation.. Have you ever used Qhemet biologics heavy cream. Its perfect if you're hiding your hair because it will leave your hair super moisturized until your next wash.

I haven't used it yet...where can I get some? I ask because a lot of the beauty supply stores in my area don't even have products like Hairveda, Afroveda, Giovanni, Avalon, etc.

hillytmj

I've never transitioned, but I agree with an earlier post that recommends Qhemet Biologics Amla Heavy Cream. I think that stuff can moisturize and soften all hair types. I use this product (if I'm several weeks post) or the burdock root butter cream all the time on my relaxed hair. The heavy cream can be too much sometimes, so I bet it's awesome on natural hair.

Jewell

I am also transitioning, and have done so several times in the past. My NG isn't particularly dry, but my ends sure are. I think my water is slightly hard, so I need to clarify, and its a good idea as another poster suggested. I use very moisturizing DC's, and also use a shea butter detangling conditioning hair dress throughout my hair. I wear full wigs and LF's whenever leaving the house, and my hair is braided/cornrowed underneath (hair is not under wig at home, but either open to air or tied w/satin scarf).

It is hard keeping the hair moisturized under wigs and weaves, but baggying sure does wonders. If you can find a relatively potent moisturizer like Qhemet Biologics Heavy Cream, S-Curl, a moist DC of your choice, or Shea Butter, then baggy the hair underneath the wig, it should help to keep your hair moisturized and soft until next wash. I take my own advice, and it does help! I'm off to try and find this Heavy Cream!

BostonMaria

I don't think my hair was dry, but then again I didn't transition during the harsh winter months either. The weather might have something to do with the dryness. Do you use hair butters? I find that avocado butter helps with dryness or at least helps the hair not feel so brittle. I can't remember if you mentioned how often you wash your hair, but once a week should help too. I transitioned 3 years ago and trust me I remember the two textures fighting all too well. Hang in there!