It that too long?

CurleeDST

I know this is a long hair care forum but I was wondering, is there a length that is attainable but not practical? My current goal is to be just below BSL. I do not wish to grow any longer b/c I think too long hair makes you look old unless you are 5 years old. I work with a woman who has very long hair and believes in it BUT she has NO style. It is just long and straight with gray hairs here and there. It makes her look extremely old but she thinks it looks good as long as it is long. I disagree. I would love to see her cut it b/c it also looks thin and straggly on the ends.

Also, I wonder if you go for very long hair is it really practical? If you want to wear it out, would it hold a stylish style or just look like well, long hair with no pizzazz or style to it. Does it annoy you if you continue to sit on it? Will it start getting stuck in your coat, back of the chair, etc.? And if you go for hair all the way to the ground, does it start picking up dirt from the floor b/c of the dragging?

How long is too long in your opinion?

Porsche19

My ultimate goal is waistlength in a twistout.

I have seen women with beautiful hair that is past their butts. Really long hair can be pretty, if it's healthy and in very good condition. I see a lot of people with all that hair, but it's frizzy/damaged/has thin, dry ends and that looks BAD to me. I wouldn't personally go much further than waistlength, but I don't find people that do to have ugly hair.

Divine Inspiration

CurleeDST said:
I know this is a long hair care forum but I was wondering, is there a length that is attainable but not practical? My current goal is to be just below BSL. I do not wish to grow any longer b/c I think too long hair makes you look old unless you are 5 years old. I work with a woman who has very long hair and believes in it BUT she has NO style. It is just long and straight with gray hairs here and there. It makes her look extremely old but she thinks it looks good as long as it is long. I disagree. I would love to see her cut it b/c it also looks thin and straggly on the ends.

Also, I wonder if you go for very long hair is it really practical? If you want to wear it out, would it hold a stylish style or just look like well, long hair with no pizzazz or style to it. Does it annoy you if you continue to sit on it? Will it start getting stuck in your coat, back of the chair, etc.? And if you go for hair all the way to the ground, does it start picking up dirt from the floor b/c of the dragging?

How long is too long in your opinion?

ITA with your entire post...I started a similar thread called Who Doesn't Want Hair Longer than BSL? b/c I was wondering the same things you are. I really don't want hair longer than an inch past bra strap b/c I think it would start to be too much for me to handle and how would I style it? Right now, I'm about 1/2" past BSL, and I think I'm gonna keep it trimmed at this length.
I agree that long hair can makes people look old, ESPECIALLY if there's grey in it.
I totally think the mega-long hair is impractical. At that point, IMO, it stops being beautiful and starts being weird. For me, the same principle applies to fingernails. I don't like bald-headed stubs, but nails that start curving and ish make me nauseated.

Great thread DST! :up:

beyondcute

After having waist lengh braids I dont think Id ever want waist length hair. You nd up leaning on it siing on it, getting yanked around b it and so forth. I think mid back si long enough. I think I may stop at brastrap unstretched.

DI Im wiht you, there is a certain place when you just need to stop. Scraggly limp hair is nt cute whether its long or not.

HoneyDew

Armpit length is good for me. My hair is so thick that I am not sure I would like to take time caring for anything longer than that.

My friend grew her hair to waist length, but she seemed younger and fresher when it was arm pit and at bra-strap lengths. Now is seems more like she is hiding behind her hair or something.

More power to all that go there, but I think I will start trimming to maintain arm-pit/bra strap when I get there.

Caramela

I think that anything longer than waistlength starts to look unsightly and would probably be a bore and chore to deal with.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I've been noticing more women around campus with waist length hair and I don't think hair that long would look good on me. From now on my goal is two-three inches below bra strap.

StartinOvah

you ever notice how many makeover shows always chop the hair of the women whos hair is waistlength and/or beyond? those women always look so old and dated.

i don't think i would have any fun with hair that length for a long period of time. i would love to have it grow that long, just to see if i could (yeah, right). but i think i would ultimately cut it. the pics on here of women with waistlength or better looks beautiful. but for practical purposes, i know i wouldn't be able to deal.

BMoreFlyy

Well for me the fact that I have a short torso helps me in that when I reach brastrap length an inch more would be mid back for me. I have long legs. Yeah that's off the point. But I don't think I'd want more than that... If it got to waist length, I'd have to step up on salon visits because I don't know how i'd maintain it.

CarLiTa

i think past waist is unpractical... i dont know, after the hair gets past the waist, i can hardly admire the beauty of it, it kinda loses its appeal, for some reason :confused:

I wanted to go a 2 inches from my waist, but now i'm thinking 4 inches from waist. It might become too much of a hastle and I'd like to stop focusing on hair GROWTH by August 2006 and let my hair be, you know? I also need to schedule in a few REAL trims because a part of my hair SEEMS to be shorter and I want to even it up eventually, although it doesn't look bad, hardly noticeable, but I don't know, I just like even ends. And I don't want to feel bad about not reaching my goal when I want to or be deathly afraid of trims... so yeah, need to back off the hair growth thing a little :)

CurleeDST

Nope that isn't it. She grows it long b/c she believes women should have long hair but she doesn't style it or do anything with it. It is literally just there on top of her head. In my opinion, if it isn't styled what is really the point? I was watching TiVo and looking at how the girls styled their long hair - THEY did a very good job. If it were any longer I am not sure how cute it would look.

uncutandgettinglonger said:
The woman at your work might have long hair because of her religous convictions.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Right now I think an inch below brastrap stretched is what I would like. Once I reach that goal I can reevaulate it but right now a longer length doesnt appeal to me. As far as gray/grey hair, my cousin has all gray hair and it is SO pretty. I dont know if she is relaxed or pressed. Its very striking as she has a darker brown skin and the contrast with the hair is lovely. Its like a pretty silver, with darker and lighter strands mixed in, not the yellowish grays you see on folx. I always thought I would color when I start turning gray but if my hair can look like hers I will keep it.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
My ultimate goal is an even mid back length. I got some more growing to do. Once I reach that length (maybe this time next year) I will trim to maintain. That's plenty enough hair for me.

FeelinIt

I want to go waist length. But I've seen people with the extremely long hair and it gives off that hippie, flower child appeal. Really long lifeless hair starts to give off that "Ring" and "Grudge" effect.

Isis

I really love looking at the long and ultra-long manes here at LHCF. :) It's so inspirational to know we can have that length if we want it!

I read somewhere (maybe it was here) a posted article about very long hair making black women look younger than ever, no matter what their age. In other words, the "rule" about longer hair making women look older does not apply to black women at all.

Isis said:
I really love looking at the long and ultra-long manes here at LHCF. :) It's so inspirational to know we can have that length if we want it!

I read somewhere (maybe it was here) a posted article about very long hair making black women look younger than ever, no matter what their age. In other words, the "rule" about longer hair making women look older does not apply to black women at all.

I think black women look more youthful and white women look older with long hair. Then it gets to a point where white women look older regardless, but you get what I'm saying.

I plan to stop at armpit length and maintain it from there. Whenever I see a picture of someone with armpit length hair I immediately take notice. Yep. That's what I want. :yep:

determine3

I personally think if you go longer than bra strap it should be layered for body/bounce and style. My ultimate goal is past bra strap but I want long swoopy bangs (Like Southern Girl)

Healthb4Length

determine3 said:
I personally think if you go longer than bra strap it should be layered for body/bounce and style. My ultimate goal is past bra strap but I want long swoopy bangs (Like Southern Girl)

I agree, long hair with out movement can look gross. If it's thick and all one length then it may look wiggy and if it's thin it looks damaged. When I reach my goal of below bra-waist, I will be adding in long layers for movement.

MizAvalon

I like waist length hair and hope to get there. Hair that you can sit on is a bit too long for my taste and is impractical for everyday life I think.

Jewell

I would like for my hair to grow as long as it can. I will surely add layers and/or style it beautifully. IMO, why put so much time into growing my hair long and not enjoy changing styles and having it healthy. Now, when it comes time to layer my hair I am gonna have to read a cosmetology book and teach myself cuz I am not gonna let a stylist (let alone a SHS) near my hair when it gets to waist or longer!

blackbarbie

I have definitely thought about this very same question, but mostly from the standpoint of having time to maintain that much hair. I will be content to have hair back at mid back, where I was a couple of years ago. Because I know stylist that can cut layers in that won't look like layers (will blend in very well), I would get the layers for movement.

I once knew this older lady. She was a very petite lady and I think she may have pressed her hair, but she had a bang and the rest of her hair was a little past APL. It was gray and black. Well, her hair had no movement at all, just looked like she put a little too much grease on it, but I used to look at her all the time and think how much younger she would look if her hair were cut in a shorter style. By the way, her ends were a little thinner than everything else, even though her hair was always very neat. She must have been in her mid 60's.

On the other hand, Oprah had some women on the other day when she was talking about women and aging. Most of the women were black women, and she had one sister with really long pretty hair, I think it was almost to her waist, but she was like in her 50's and looked very good, but it was not just her hair, it was her skin, physical condition, mental attitude, everything.....so with the hair aging a person, I guess it just depends on everything else the person has going on too.

hairmaster

The ladys that don't care about how their hair looks or how long it is are the ones that have the long hair. I like to find out if they care about how it looks or not. then show them braids or updos like french rolls or buns just to see it look different. If they don't care then they should cut it to shoulder length.

Healthb4Length

Jewell said:
I would like for my hair to grow as long as it can. I will surely add layers and/or style it beautifully. IMO, why put so much time into growing my hair long and not enjoy changing styles and having it healthy. Now, when it comes time to layer my hair I am gonna have to read a cosmetology book and teach myself cuz I am not gonna let a stylist (let alone a SHS) near my hair when it gets to waist or longer!

Haircutting for dumbies is really good, they give detailed illustrations on how to cut hair. I practiced on my mannequin head and gave a really nice layered cut. It also shows instructions on how to do diamond (V) cut and U cut.

Jewell

Alli77 said:
Haircutting for dumbies is really good, they give detailed illustrations on how to cut hair. I practiced on my mannequin head and gave a really nice layered cut. It also shows instructions on how to do diamond (V) cut and U cut.

Thanks, Alli. I am going to look for that.