It's Been A While! Can I Get A Little Help?

indarican

Hey All!

It has been so long since I have been on here with you guys! I tried to stay away because I was BUYING EVERYTHING!
So here is my dilemma, I am natural again! :) with 4a/3c hair. I am trying desperately to stay away from heat mostly because I am style challenged and can't blow dry my own hair without my arms getting tired and quitting.
But my hair is so dry, like "snap, crackle, pop" dry. The ends always are tangling with eachother causing serious breakage. I accidently was able to get my hair moisturized one time. Accidently because I was trying oils, and I put like half the bottle of coconut oil in my hair. It was dripping all down my neck and shirt for hours but my HAIR WAS SOOOOO LUSH and no tangles, curls popping, the whole shebang for a whole day. Unfortunately I have not been able to replicate it. I have been using Coconut oil and while it feels moisturized for about an hour or so, its like as soon as I come outside the moisture evaporates. I have tried different methods (LOC, LCO, Greenhouse, co/washing) using different products, (Aussie Moist conditioner, TGIN, Shea Moisture line, Carol's daughter almond milk line.) I just want to be natural and moisturized...
So what recommendations do you all have for me?

VictoriousBrownFlower

You could try a different oil other than coconut. I know when I prepooed with coconut oil when I first put it in my hair it felt really moisturizing but after washing out my hair was dry. If you are continually using it it could be the source of the dryness. It can act like a protein on some hair.

I love avocado, hemp seed, and jojoba oil for prepooing and jbco for sealing. Also maybe the aussie moist is preventing the moisture from penetrating the shaft because of all the silicones in it. TGIN, Camille Rose, and the mane choice all have good dc's for moisture but are pricey. They also have great leave ins etc too.

indarican

You could try a different oil other than coconut. I know when I prepooed with coconut oil when I first put it in my hair it felt really moisturizing but after washing out my hair was dry. If you are continually using it it could be the source of the dryness. It can act like a protein on some hair.

I love avocado, hemp seed, and jojoba oil for prepooing and jbco for sealing. Also maybe the aussie moist is preventing the moisture from penetrating the shaft because of all the silicones in it. TGIN, Camille Rose, and the mane choice all have good dc's for moisture but are pricey. They also have great leave ins etc too.
Do you think I need to use a thicker oil? I know JBCO is pretty thick, I'd rather not my hair be sticky but if it means it would be moisturized I would do it. I also use Silicon Mix but I guess that would be in the same category because of all the cones. I have used TGIN and Camille Rose it did nothing :-(

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Step 1: Clarify hair. Anytime hair starts acting weird, it might have some product that just isn't coming out. I always go to the V05 Kiwi clarifying shampoo to take care of that.

Step 2: Verify moisture-protein balance. I found that coconut oil worked great when my hair needed it, but once it had enough it acted dry and crispy. It was too much protein over time. I switched to sunflower oil, which worked great. Grapeseed oil worked very well as well. These are in the middle, thinner than olive oil and coconut oil but thicker than avocado or jojoba.

I find it easier to start light and then keep going. A lot of the time we think our hair needs more than it does. Learning step by step is a gradual process, and it takes some time to find that perfect balance. I also advise trying individual oils instead of the mixes like TGIN, etc. That way, you isolate the primary ingredient that it is your hair does or does not like, and choosing products based on this becomes easier.

HTH.

indarican

Step 1: Clarify hair. Anytime hair starts acting weird, it might have some product that just isn't coming out. I always go to the V05 Kiwi clarifying shampoo to take care of that.

Step 2: Verify moisture-protein balance. I found that coconut oil worked great when my hair needed it, but once it had enough it acted dry and crispy. It was too much protein over time. I switched to sunflower oil, which worked great. Grapeseed oil worked very well as well. These are in the middle, thinner than olive oil and coconut oil but thicker than avocado or jojoba.

I find it easier to start light and then keep going. A lot of the time we think our hair needs more than it does. Learning step by step is a gradual process, and it takes some time to find that perfect balance. I also advise trying individual oils instead of the mixes like TGIN, etc. That way, you isolate the primary ingredient that it is your hair does or does not like, and choosing products based on this becomes easier.

HTH.
Thanks!
I have definitely been clarifying.
Let me be clear, this is not new, I have been natural over a year and my hair has never been moisturized, I just started with the Coconut oil so I don't think it is what is causing it. I may give grapeseed oil a try. I always thought that the oils didn't actual put the moisture in just locked in whatever else you put in.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Thanks!
I have definitely been clarifying.
Let me be clear, this is not new, I have been natural over a year and my hair has never been moisturized, I just started with the Coconut oil so I don't think it is what is causing it. I may give grapeseed oil a try. I always thought that the oils didn't actual put the moisture in just locked in whatever else you put in.

Yes, you're right on that. Do you use conditioners moisturizers with cones, mineral oil or petrolatum? They do work for some people, but you can try cutting these ingredients out for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference. It turned my hair around completely.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
And one more thing - do you try the LOC method? Water is the best moisturizer you can ever have (as long as it isn't hard water, which moves us onto water filters but more on that later). If you start with wet hair after you wash, then add your leave-in, seal with your oil and optionally follow with a cream like whipped shea butter, this is the LOC method.

Honestly, I find that once my hair is dry (as in not wet anymore) it feels dry. I've never gotten around this. My hair craves moisture, and thus I cowash daily or spray with water daily. My hair is low porosity, and this seems to be a large part of it. I'm not sure if your experience is exactly the same.

discodumpling

Type 4 hair needs moisture more than most types & it is not gained from oils. Oils are great for LOC or LCO and there are many great oils to experiment with.
Your moisture management depends on how you want to style/wear your hair.
I wear my hair in a wash n go 99.99% of the time so I maintain moisture with weekly DC's followed by a leavein and lots of Eco Styler gel. At the coldest times of the year I might add an oil or another product or two.
A straight haired natural's moisture management system would use different products as would a wigger or weaver.

newgrowth15

@indarican, have you tried working from the inside out? Drinking more water will hydrate your hair from within. Then try some of the suggestions listed above, especially the ones about trying individual oils one at a time to see how your hair responds. Don't forget to take notes and review them every now and then. You will be surprised at how much your hair changes over time and with the use of different products. Also, before I forget, apple cider vinegar rinses will bring softness and clarity to your hair and scalp immediately. I wish you all the best on your HHJ.

Daina

What are you using to moisturize your hair? What is the L in your LOC or LCO? In my experience coconut oil isn't a moisturizer and using so much is probably what's causing your dryness. At best I would use it to seal in whatever you're using to moisturize. As mentioned above water is best. I also like Alikay Naturals lemon leave-in; water and aloe vera juice; and SM JBCO leave-in.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Do you think I need to use a thicker oil? I know JBCO is pretty thick, I'd rather not my hair be sticky but if it means it would be moisturized I would do it. I also use Silicon Mix but I guess that would be in the same category because of all the cones. I have used TGIN and Camille Rose it did nothing :-(
JBCO is thick but not sticky. If you use a small amount your hair shouldn't feel anything but moisturized.

You said further down the thread that you clarify alot? How often? Have you been using sulfates since the beg of your bc?

indarican

Yes, you're right on that. Do you use conditioners moisturizers with cones, mineral oil or petrolatum? They do work for some people, but you can try cutting these ingredients out for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference. It turned my hair around completely.
And one more thing - do you try the LOC method? Water is the best moisturizer you can ever have (as long as it isn't hard water, which moves us onto water filters but more on that later). If you start with wet hair after you wash, then add your leave-in, seal with your oil and optionally follow with a cream like whipped shea butter, this is the LOC method.

Honestly, I find that once my hair is dry (as in not wet anymore) it feels dry. I've never gotten around this. My hair craves moisture, and thus I cowash daily or spray with water daily. My hair is low porosity, and this seems to be a large part of it. I'm not sure if your experience is exactly the same.

I do tend to use a lot of cones, Silicon Mix has been my go to conditioner along with Aussie Moist. I do use the LOC method or the LCO methos, I use the Carols daughter almond milk spray as my L, oil I will use either coconut or EVOO, Cream I have used Shea Moisture, TGIN, Kinky Curly Custard.

Type 4 hair needs moisture more than most types & it is not gained from oils. Oils are great for LOC or LCO and there are many great oils to experiment with.
Your moisture management depends on how you want to style/wear your hair.
I wear my hair in a wash n go 99.99% of the time so I maintain moisture with weekly DC's followed by a leavein and lots of Eco Styler gel. At the coldest times of the year I might add an oil or another product or two.
A straight haired natural's moisture management system would use different products as would a wigger or weaver.
I tried eco styler and OH GOOD GOD, it was horrible, not only did it not hold my hair but it some how seemed to make it more tangled. I used the one in the gold tub.

@indarican, have you tried working from the inside out? Drinking more water will hydrate your hair from within. Then try some of the suggestions listed above, especially the ones about trying individual oils one at a time to see how your hair responds. Don't forget to take notes and review them every now and then. You will be surprised at how much your hair changes over time and with the use of different products. Also, before I forget, apple cider vinegar rinses will bring softness and clarity to your hair and scalp immediately. I wish you all the best on your HHJ.

I will say that I am not the best with the water drinking at all, I hate it. Ill give it a try but I am hoping to have something in the interim to combat the dryness.

JBCO is thick but not sticky. If you use a small amount your hair shouldn't feel anything but moisturized.

You said further down the thread that you clarify alot? How often? Have you been using sulfates since the beg of your bc?

I use Cantu Claifying Cream Shampoo now only because I do wash and go's mostly with gel, I used to use Aussie moist shampoo or the E'tae shampoo.

VictoriousBrownFlower

I use Cantu Claifying Cream Shampoo now only because I do wash and go's mostly with gel, I used to use Aussie moist shampoo or the E'tae shampoo.

Do these have sulfates? I ask because the second bc i did my hair was shocked after and felt really dry even though I was using the same stuff I've always used. I went searching like you for the source of the problem. Lastly I decided to switch my over the counter sulfate shampoo to a sulfate free natural one and that did the trick. After a while my moisture levels were back to normal.

After a few yrs I am now able to use sulfates again with great success but my dryness after the bc was totally relieved by removing sulfates until they were needed again.

indarican

Do these have sulfates? I ask because the second bc i did my hair was shocked after and felt really dry even though I was using the same stuff I've always used. I went searching like you for the source of the problem. Lastly I decided to switch my over the counter sulfate shampoo to a sulfate free natural one and that did the trick. After a while my moisture levels were back to normal.

After a few yrs I am now able to use sulfates again with great success but my dryness after the bc was totally relieved by removing sulfates until they were needed again.

Cantu is sulfate free.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
What do you use to deep condition? To me, this is the most important part of my moisture routine. I love the shea moisture Manuka honey mask.

As for products after the wash day, camille rose naturals almond jai is one of the best I’ve ever tried. I’ve tried a lot of things, but this is a staple.

Also, have you ever tried sealing with shea butter? I do this periodically now when I bun (a little too heavy for an “out” style) and it really works. The shea butter challenge inspired me.

indarican

What do you use to deep condition? To me, this is the most important part of my moisture routine. I love the shea moisture Manuka honey mask.

As for products after the wash day, camille rose naturals almond jai is one of the best I’ve ever tried. I’ve tried a lot of things, but this is a staple.

Also, have you ever tried sealing with shea butter? I do this periodically now when I bun (a little too heavy for an “out” style) and it really works. The shea butter challenge inspired me.

I was using Silicon Mix to deep condition. I just went shopping for some more Camille Rose DC there are so many good reviews I m going to try that again. I have not tried to seal with shea butter, i could give that a shot but I hate my hair to feel waxy/sticky.I know when I had my relaxer it was like that. I guess this could be different.

GGsKin

Cantu is sulfate free.

Is this is the only shampoo/ cleanser you use? This has polyquaternium-39 that functions as Antistatic Agent; Film Former; Hair Fixative. The bolded could be contributing to your continual dryness, before you even apply your conditioner.

I did like @VictoriousBrownFlower and removed cones and quats (and sulphates) from my regimen entirely to build up the moisture in my hair, before slowly reintroducing them again (and not all cones and quats made it to the other side).

Sarabellam

There are a couple of areas that I noticed as possible problem areas.

1. It seems like many of you products have heavy silicones and you’re stripping your hair to get rid of possible build up. The silicones are fine if your hair is telling you that it’s working. Since your hair is dry, maybe avoid silicone products unless you are using heat on your hair or limit them to once in a while use. Sometimes silicone can block the hair from absorbing h2o.

2. It seems that you don’t have options for providing your hair with more protein or moisture based on its weekly needs. The Camille rose algae dc is good moisture dc. Mielle organics sells a babassu oil deep conditioner that acts as a mild protein conditioner on my hair. I also use aphogee and henna sparingly but I have fine strands that respond to heavy fortifying.

Also if you avoid heavy silicone products you can find success with a wider variety of gentle cleansers.

3. Check you leave ins as well. Some ingredients are fine in DCs but are drying when in leave in. For me any leave in with glycerin is drying unless I do a heavy sealing with Shea butter and reapply moisture every couple of days. I like kinky curly knot today because it’s a great detangler and is free of ingredients that have the potential to make my hair dry.

4. Curly proverbs on YouTube may be a good person to follow for tips on product recommendations. She mainly talks about diys but she has quite a few videos on commercial products that work for her hair and herb free oil mixes that she likes.

indarican

Is this is the only shampoo/ cleanser you use? This has polyquaternium-39 that functions as Antistatic Agent; Film Former; Hair Fixative. The bolded could be contributing to your continual dryness, before you even apply your conditioner.

I did like @VictoriousBrownFlower and removed cones and quats (and sulphates) from my regimen entirely to build up the moisture in my hair, before slowly reintroducing them again (and not all cones and quats made it to the other side).
Yipes... I had not idea about that. I guess Ill have to find something else.