i've been observing my roommates hair practices...

FluffyRed

i thought about doing that but i wasnt quite sure how to say it lol. im just tired of having to smell burnt hair everyday when i wake up. you can even smell it when you walk into our suite

Not to be mean, but she's probably tired of some things about you, too.

When you offer advice, don't be surprised if she tells you something about yourself as well. She might be on a board talking about some aspect of your appearance or your behavior.

That said, good luck with whatever decision you make.

locabouthair

There ya go! Keep this forum to yourself. I understand your enthusiasm about LHCF but as you grow here you'll learn to keep it as your own place; and this suggestion is not about keeping hair care a secret from other black women. People find it when they need it.

If you are worried about her coming here, you can tell her to go to BHM:look:

outspokenwallflower

I have two roommates who are relaxed and some of their practices are iffy...

1 of them is not too bad off-- she uses almost the whole silk elements line, washes her hair AT LEAST once a week (w/ a DC of course) and knows how to roller set just fine. BUT, she has a curling iron and flat iron that are pretty much pure metal and are so dark and tinged from the heat that I know it must be doing not so good things to her hair-- she has a lot of shedding and she doesn't use a heat protectant.

The other...well, she doesn't use a heat protectant, has a flat iron whose ceramic coating has completely worn off, and she uses it daily, I cant remember the last time she's washed her hair, and she has some tracks in that are slowly makin' their way out =[

Last edited:

manter26

I went on a 2 week vacation with my best friend. She is dominican, maybe a 3c and relaxes every 6 mths. She used heat everyday at the start of the trip. She knows I used to do the same ish. I think she noticed I flat ironed only 1 time after my hair got wet. The 2nd week of the trip she didn't flat iron at all.

She picked up on my habits on her own. If she sees that your hair is healthy, she just pick up on what you do.

jaszymeen

Not to be mean, but she's probably tired of some things about you, too.

When you offer advice, don't be surprised if she tells you something about yourself as well. She might be on a board talking about some aspect of your appearance or your behavior.

That said, good luck with whatever decision you make.

oh:look: well to each her own

jaszymeen

I wouldn't say anything.

Just like we and other people seek out the information through the internet/books or whatever else is out there... she can/will when she wants to.

Not everyone is into or open to new things with their hair.

If she ever asks for advice, I'd give her some. If she asks for more and shows real interest, that's when I'd go all out. :)

this is what happened with another girl i met in our building. she told me she had already stopped using some products that werent good for her hair but she just needed a little extra help

meenie

I think it is best if you mind your business and just leave her alone. Some people might get offended if you offer unsolicited advice.

Yeah! Nice lady. I quite agree with you. I have learnt not to give unsolicited advice. I always feel like sharing all the info I have with virtually everyone I see with 'not so good hair' especially my friends but I always end being laughed at or ignored not until they started seeing my progress.

Well the point is if they dont ask, dont give it. They'll never approeciate it anyway except they feel they need it.

If people are not in trouble, they'll never value your advice/opinion.

TeeWhyAre

Is it bad that I would let her keep doing what she's doing?

But no, maybe mention that it's not healthy to use heat everyday. And if you do or don't detect attitude, go from there.

LOL! :lachen:I thought I was a horrible person because that's the first thing I thought. It is so nice to know I'm not alone.

sheba1

I would casually talk to her about healthy heads of hair you've seen online and how you're going to try some of the practices. I might even describe someone who had broken off hair at the nape :look: that grew her hair to healthy BSL/MBL etc. and see what her reaction is. Chinablk is a great example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDB-_-qXzKE&feature=fvw She may sit there and watch all over vids after seeing BronzeG's inspirational hair journey. And she'll get ideas as to what is healthy for her hair and what is not. If she gets inspired (who wouldn't?!) and begins to look at all of her vids and the vids of other healthy heads of hair, she'll be able to decide for herself that maybe she uses too much heat for her hair. Which could lead to "maybe I perm to often"... "maybe I should DC every week" and "I should PS more" or even "maybe I should relax left often. Stretching, they call it?"

I hope this helps and I hope she gets excited and gets growing. She'll remember it as being all her idea which is not a bad thing, not at all. :)

Dak

You have some good advice here, one thing I haven't seen is whether or not she wipes down her flat iron. My iron will smell like burnt hair when there is build up on the sides.

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
Me in college - I'd say something, likely piss her off and we'd have to stop being roommates, lol. Me at 28 thinks it's best not to say a word to her. Let you progress and good hair practices speak for themselves. When she's ready to improve she'll let you know.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
You have some good advice here, one thing I haven't seen is whether or not she wipes down her flat iron. My iron will smell like burnt hair when there is build up on the sides.

this is true. i think folks don't read the directions on their flatiron. i wipe mine down with rubbing alcohol after every use. she could also be using too much product.