Jeremiah 4:10

Aviah

Ladies I'm having a hard time understanding this verse. Here are a few versions and a footnote given by the Amplified version:

Jeremiah 4:10 (New International Version)

10 Then I said, "Ah, Sovereign LORD, how completely you have deceived this people and Jerusalem by saying, 'You will have peace,' when the sword is at our throats."

Jeremiah 4:10 (The Message)

10Then I said, "Alas, Master God!
You've fed lies to this people, this Jerusalem.
You assured them, 'All is well, don't worry,'
at the very moment when the sword was at their throats."

Jeremiah 4:10 (New King James Version)

10 Then I said, “Ah, Lord GOD!
Surely You have greatly deceived this people and Jerusalem,
Saying, ‘You shall have peace,’
Whereas the sword reaches to the heart.”

Jeremiah 4:10 (Amplified Bible)

10Then I [Jeremiah] said, [a]Alas, Lord God! Surely You have greatly deceived and misled this people and Jerusalem, [for the prophets represented You as] saying [to Your people], You shall have peace, whereas the sword has reached to [their very] life.

Footnotes:

1. Jeremiah 4:10 Jeremiah could not reconcile the doom he was now commanded to pronounce either with his own previous prophecy or with what he had read in the writings of the previous prophets. We have the apostle Peter's comment on the perplexity of the prophets in I Pet. 1:10-12: "The prophets, who prophesied of the grace (divine blessing) which was intended for you, searched and inquired earnestly about this salvation. They sought [to find out] to whom or when this was to come which the Spirit of Christ working within them was indicating when He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories that should follow [them]. It was then disclosed to them that the services they were rendering were not meant for themselves and their period of time, but for you.... Into these things [the very] angels long to look!"

I know I have to take it into context, and have tried, but I still don't understand, God doesn't lie...

Hi Aviah, (what a beautiful name)

When I read that verse, I, like you, became confused.

I know too, that God cannot lie, and that there is no evil in Him. And to deceive someome would be to trick them, fool them, etc.

So, I prayed to our Lord for an answer, cause I wanted to know what this verse meant too.

This is what I found on the net:

"Jeremiah appears to be most deeply hurt by the messge he has to bring. It hurts him so deeply, that he blames The Lord for it. Jeremiah 4, 10, says, 'Then I said, "Ah, Sovereign Lord, how completely have You deceived this people in Jerusalem by saying, 'you will have peace,' when the sword is at our throats." The prophet of The Lord blames his Sender for speaking of peace while making plans for war. Think about that. Such a text is worth a sermon of its own. Maybe that will come one day. for the moment, the prophet Jeremiah commeting on the message of his Sender, I consider that a proof of how deeply down-hearted he was.

So now, know that God didn't deceive Jeremiah. But, Jeremiah was so distraught, depressed, and discouraged about the message he had to take to the children of Israel. He knew that they would hate him for telling them what God had told him to say.

If you havn't already, read the entire Book of Jeremiah. I'm going to re-read it again too!

Enjoy your delightful meal on The Word Of God!

Last edited:

Aviah

Thank You Ladyofvirtue,
I will continue reading Jeremiah, funny enough I started from the beginning and am trying to read to the end of it. I just got stuck there, if you get anything, please let me know!...
Anyone else understand this verse?

cutiebe2

Im no expert..but my pastor did reach this section during church one time

I think the main message was to never doubt Gods plan. When God promised them good things and peace her never said WHEN. So people suffered for years and felt decieved by God, not knowing his plan. He gave peace to the people, but not in the time frame they were thinking. If you continue to read you will see that everything God promised eventually came true...just not in their generation

Aviah

Hmmm. Seems simple enough... It sounds like that should be the answer but somehow I don't get that "Eureka!!!" feeling... thanks for that. Maybe its just me? Any other ideas?