What is Success: The Book of Jeremiah

loolalooh

I am in the process of taking a journey with Jeremiah (i.e., reading his book of the Bible). The NLT Life Application Study version has an introduction to the chapter that I couldn't resist posting. For those who are wondering what there purpose is, where their lives are going, or what is success ... here is the introduction:

WHAT is success? Most definitions include references to achieving goals and acquiring wealth, prestige, favor and power. "Successful" people enjoy the good life - being financially and emotionally secure, being surrounded by admirers and enjoying the fruits of their labors. They are leaders, opinion makers, and trendsetters. Their example is emulated; their accomplishments are noticed. They know who they are and where they are going, and they stride confidently to meet their goals.

By these standards, Jeremiah was a miserable failure. For 40 years he served as God's spokesman to Judah, but when Jeremiah spoke, nobody listened. Consistently and passionately he urged them to act, but nobody moved. And he certainly did not attain material success. He was poor and underwent severe deprivation to deliver his prophecies. He was thrown into prison and into a cistern, and he was take to Egypt against his will. He was rejected by his neighbors, his family, the false priests and prophets, friends, his audience, and the kings. Throughout his life, Jeremiah stood alone, declaring God's messages of doom, announcing the new covenant and weeping over the fate of his beloved country. In the eyes of the world, Jeremiah was not a success.

But in God's eyes, Jeremiah was one of the most successful people in all biblical history. Success, as measured by God, involves obedience and faithfulness. Regardless of opposition and personal cost, Jeremiah courageously and faithfully proclaimed the word of God. He was obedient to his calling. ...

As you read Jeremiah, feel with him as he agonizes over the message he must deliver, pray with him for those who refuse to respond to the truth, and watch his example of faith and courage. Then commit yourself to being successful in God's eyes.

Iwanthealthyhair67

When we rely on God's leading we wont be so concerned about 'our' success and I have to add our 'purpose', 9 times out of 10 we only want to do things for God to make ourselves look good, and so if we are getting the glory then something is wrong becuase it should point back to Him, no wonder we are left feeling dissatisfied our motives are all wrong....

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
loolalooh, great topic.... I'd like to join in the discussion, if you're intending to have a study here. :yep:

It's unfortunate the world (and some preachers) tend to focus on us measuring success by what we see and not what we SEE. I believe it's possible to compromise our higher calling for power, money, popularity, attention, etc. Jeremiah was the last prophet to speak for God before Jerusalem's destruction.... so his life was purposefully void of distractions (wife, children, money, etc) so that God can speak clearly to an obstinate Israel. I look at my own life and see the need to clear some debris to unclog that inner ear so I can hear more clearly.

Last edited:

sidney

This just reinforces that there is a divine purpose for misfortune...God breaks us to tear us away from the clutches of this world...it's Love. God corrects those he loves. Other trials are meant for his glory and later on for own.That's why we can't get short-sighted by what we see on this side of eternity...He says our trials produce for us an eternal weight of glory. Solomon said better is mourning than gladness...the misfortune that we occassionally experience produces a greater work...so it's not that you didn't get turned down from the house or the job. We may not always get what the world gets...but what benefit is it to gain the whole world and lose your soul. While the world may glory in success...we are renewed day by day...many are the afflictions of the righteous but God delivers us from them all...we get delivered from each one...That is sure victory...that is success!

Last edited:

loolalooh

When we rely on God's leading we wont be so concerned about 'our' success and I have to add our 'purpose', 9 times out of 10 we only want to do things for God to make ourselves look good, and so if we are getting the glory then something is wrong becuase it should point back to Him, no wonder we are left feeling dissatisfied our motives are all wrong....

loolalooh, great topic.... I'd like to join in the discussion, if you're intending to have a study here. :yep:

It's unfortunate the world (and some preachers) tend to focus on us measuring success by what we see and not what we SEE. I believe it's possible to compromise our higher calling for power, money, popularity, attention, etc. Jeremiah was the last prophet to speak for God before Jerusalem's destruction.... so his life was purposefully void of distractions (wife, children, money, etc) so that God can speak clearly to an obstinate Israel. I look at my own life and see the need to clear some debris to unclog that inner ear so I can hear more clearly.

This just reinforces that there is a divine purpose for misfortune...God breaks us to tear us away from the clutches of this world...it's Love. God corrects those he loves. Other trials are meant for his glory and later on for own.That's why we can't get short-sighted by what we see on this side of eternity...He says our trials produce for us an eternal weight of glory. Solomon said better is mourning than gladness...the misfortune that we occassionally experience produces a greater work...so it's not that you didn't get turned down from the house or the job. We may not always get what the world gets...but what benefit is it to gain the whole world and lose your soul. While the world may glory in success...we are renewed day by day...many are the afflictions of the righteous but God delivers us from them all...we get delivered from each one...That is sure victory...that is success!

Loving the discussion, ladies ... especially the bolded! :yep:

Iwanthealthyhair67

@Laela
10 When he was alone, the Twelve and the others around him asked him about the parables. 11 He told them, “The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables 12 so that,

“‘they may be ever seeing but never perceiving,
and ever hearing but never understanding;
otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!’

this is why there is so much back and forth over scripture with the unbeliever (unsaved, unregenerated man) they understand with their own intellect, only the Holy Spirit brings revelation, He left His word for us.

sorry for the thread hijack @loolalooh

Last edited:

loolalooh

loolalooh. How's your Jeremiah study going? I'm very interested in reading this book as well.

Reminiscing:

Hey! It's going slow, but well. For me, Jeremiah is one of those books where it is easy to overlook some core messages. I'm on Chapter 15, and up through now, Jeremiah and the Lord have been discussing Israel's and Judah's disobedience. But that is just the surface story. There have been some underlying core messages that I only get when I take my time. For me, it's very different from, say, the book of Job.

Reminiscing

@Reminiscing:

Hey! It's going slow, but well. For me, Jeremiah is one of those books where it is easy to overlook some core messages. I'm on Chapter 15, and up through now, Jeremiah and the Lord have been discussing Israel's and Judah's disobedience. But that is just the surface story. There have been some underlying core messages that I only get when I take my time. For me, it's very different from, say, the book of Job.

loolalooh Agreed. It's definitely a book that requires lots of time and attention. Are you using bible study questions to help you? If so, do you mind sharing the questions?

loolalooh