Jumping on the Transitioning to Texturized bandwagon (long)

jodydreams

Ladies, I am fed up with my hair. I made some mistakes... beginning with relaxing my hair myself after 6 months without a perm. That self relaxer was a failer. I ended up with underprocessed hair. My hair has been fallin out left and right. So I just washed my hair and the relaxed ends just look awful and thin compared to my underprocessed and natural hair. I am dyin to cut it off. I get sick just lookin at my thin black hair (ends). This is the second time in my life that I am going to cut off my hair after it has finally gotten to its longest length. But this time will be the last. I plan on transitioning using kinky twist then regular synthetic twist extentions. I bought Surge 14 and WGO and I have been using it but I think im just wastin my time puttin it on this hair that I dont really want anymore. I really like the feel of my texturized aka underprocessed hair. I LOVE FULL HAIR, so why do I perm my hair straight? Its cuz im crazy :look:

Well I just wanted to know if anyone else is doing this and what are u transitioning with (ya know, styles) and if this is a repeat topic, im sorry, I didnt bother to search. :ohwell: I just wanted to hear from you all and see if I can get some buddies to join me :p

jodydreams

I feel like I will get the best of both worlds when I am texturized. I can get it pressed straight and wear it curly "naturally". Sorry but I am not in the right state of mind to go natural. And I think some of y'all know what Im talkin about.

caligirl

I know what you're talking about. A texturizer is sounding better and better every day. But I don't think my pride would let me do it.
As far as styles, braidouts are cute and low maintenance.

Guyaneek

Hi Jodydreams,
I did the BC in May and my hair is unruly :lol:
Right now I'm in braids and I plan to take them out in September ;) When I finally start wearing my hair out again, I plan to texturize. I still have tons of questions about what to use, whether to do it myself or go to a salon but it really seems like the route I will be taking.
I'm with you though and I understand where you are :grin:

hopeful

jodydreams said:
I feel like I will get the best of both worlds when I am texturized. I can get it pressed straight and wear it curly "naturally". Sorry but I am not in the right state of mind to go natural. And I think some of y'all know what Im talkin about.

I love being texturized. No need to be apologetic about not wanting to go natural. It's a personal choice, your personal choice. I wish you the best with transitioning to texturized. Good luck!

model_chick717

hopeful said:
I love being texturized. No need to be apologetic about not wanting to go natural. It's a personal choice, your personal choice. I wish you the best with transitioning to texturized. Good luck!

Right! By the way--I'm texturized and have been for a few years. I luv it. I do it myself as well. If you have any questions...feel free to ask. :)

Guyaneek

Model Chick,
Your hair is gorgeous and you're beautiful too . I have a ton of questions :) but i will just ask a few for now :lol:
1. How often do you texturize?
2. What type of texturizer do you use?
3. How long do you keep it in?
4. Did you do your first texturizer or did you go to a salon?
5. About how long was your hair when you originally started texturizing?
My mind is about 95% made up that I am going to texturize when I am out of these braids. Just the fine details I need to figure out.
thanks!

model_chick717

1. How often do you texturize? About every 3 months (12-16 weeks)

2. What type of texturizer do you use? I use Elasta QP regular--I've now switched to mild because I'm trying to get the curl closer to my natural texture--just needed a change...

3. How long do you keep it in? I do it in sections (front and back, starting with the front)--and I leave it on each section for about 5 minutes.

4. Did you do your first texturizer or did you go to a salon? I started texturizing by accident really. For about 2 years, I was wearing sew-in weaves consistently and would relax my hair sporadically. One day I decided to just see what it would look like airdried and it was this--so after that I purposely kept my texturized after that.

5. About how long was your hair when you originally started texturizing? Below my shoulders. When I first realized my hair was texturized, it was more processed (curls were a lot looser) than it is now--over time, I wanted a tighter curl--so I starting texturizer for a lesser time and then gradually trimmed the more processed curls off.

Hope this helps!!

L

lkg4healthyhair

Joydreams, you are not alone. I have also made the choice to transition to texturized. My reasons were:

First, my hair is really fine and I feel relaxing bone straight is making it thinner. My hair always looked thicker when I had 10 plus weeks of new growth. I was able to do cute braid out looks etc.

Second, I like the curly look (like Model Chick's hair). I can accomplish similiar looks with my current relaxed hair so I feel once I tex it will look even better. Also, I wear my hair in a bun everyday anyway (unless I do a wash n go). I can still wear a bun if it is tex'd--so I feel like what's the diff. I can always get it blown straight & this way I can have the best of both worlds and it will be much thicker.

Like you I don't think I want to go natural (not sure--have to see texture after 6 months no relaxer). I plan to get a weave until Dec then tex (6 months post relaxer).

Hair Rules by Anthony Dickey would be a great book for you. I just started reading it. He also works a Louis Licari Salon in NYC, consultations are free so you could go in a see him and talk about your hair. I plan to do this in December. He works with texturizers and natural hair.

RabiaElaine

lkg4healthyhair said:
Joydreams, you are not alone. I have also made the choice to transition to texturized. My reasons were:

First, my hair is really fine and I feel relaxing bone straight is making it thinner. My hair always looked thicker when I had 10 plus weeks of new growth. I was able to do cute braid out looks etc.

Second, I like the curly look (like Model Chick's hair). I can accomplish similiar looks with my current relaxed hair so I feel once I tex it will look even better. Also, I wear my hair in a bun everyday anyway (unless I do a wash n go). I can still wear a bun if it is tex'd--so I feel like what's the diff. I can always get it blown straight & this way I can have the best of both worlds and it will be much thicker.

Like you I don't think I want to go natural (not sure--have to see texture after 6 months no relaxer). I plan to get a weave until Dec then tex (6 months post relaxer).

Hair Rules by Anthony Dickey would be a great book for you. I just started reading it. He also works a Louis Licari Salon in NYC, consultations are free so you could go in a see him and talk about your hair. I plan to do this in December. He works with texturizers and natural hair.

I went to visit Louis Licari Salon to buy Curly Pudding for my sister. It very nice and chic inside. The salon workers are very nice and helpful. I wasn't able to meet Dickey because he was with a client at the time. They told me that his texturizers start at about $150, but the price really depends on the state of your hair (ie. if he has to do a corrective texturizer). Anyway I can't wait to go and see him when I take out these braids so that he can evaluate the natural texture of my hair and give me an idea of how my hair will come out. I hope to be able to do a big chop before next summer.

Stormy

Well I just transitioned to texturizing. I waited almost 16 weeks after my last relaxer. I'm loving it! My hair isn't falling out, thinning, and breaking off like it used to as soon as I would get a salon relaxer. It's grown quite a bit, and even thickened up some. And I have lots of body! :grin: I tried to go natural twice, got frustrated when it got to the point that I had to fight to get it into a bun due to so much new growth. Plus, with the kinds of hairstyles I like to wear, like my wetsets texturizing works best for me. Here are some styles that I wear for stretching my relaxer:

Flexirod sets

Cornrows

Buns

Braidouts

You really do get the best of both worlds IMO.

mscounselor

Im keeping this as an option in the future. Both my natural friends have this as their back up as well. Thanks for posting this thread! There was a lot of helpful information.
Still on the natural track, though