Just Curious...How Many Ladies Don't Know Their HairType??

Do you know your hair type?

• Yes, my hair is all one texture. I know my hair type

Votes: 18 6.0%
  • No, my hair is all one texture. I do not know my hair type.

Votes: 54 17.9%
  • Yes, My hair is multiple textures. I know my hair type.

Votes: 83 27.5%
  • No, my hair is multiple textures. I do not know my hair type.

Votes: 158 52.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LadyRaider

I don't know my hair type because I have a sucky camera. I know that in the LOIS system, I have a lot of OOOOOOOOs left after I wash my hair! :lick: They are quite cute.

Tiye

I don't know mine coz "the hair typing authoritays" are still in denial that it exists. While it's on the far end of the kinky scale it is not quite like 4a or 4b. Since people routinely get shot down on hair boards whenever they try to point out that they have super kinky hair that does not fit the existing descriptions it's easier for me to just call it "4b" for e-conversational purposes simply coz it's the last stop on the chart. It's no biggie - I lived with my hair just fine before internet hair type discourse and I pick up tips from people of any hair type and decide from there what works for my hair and what doesn't so it's not a problem.

ParagonTresses

IDK mine and don't really care to. I focus on what my hair likes in regards to products, styles and technique. The hair typing systems are not beneficial for ME and MY hair.

Imani

I'm not completely sure if I'm 4b or 4a/b. Im thinking 4b tho, bc the few somewhat visible curls I have when wet would probably go away when dried. However, I never let my hair just shrink up and dry without manipulating bc I don't want tangles.

BostonMaria

The right side of my hair is 3B and the left is 3C. The crown is 3C.

There is 1 inch in the front that I don't know WTF it is. It doesn't curl, no wave pattern, it's dry, it does grow down, it's kinda straight but in a very frizzy way. Oh and no it's not heat damage. When I was little it looked like that. What hair type is this hot mess? LOL

makeupgirl

my hair is just a mixture of 3c and 4a. 3c because the majority of my curls do spring back to that curl when I smooth it out and the curl comes from the roots, but some of my hair has a kinky curl feel to it and has that zig zag pattern to it.

Ironically, my mom said, that before she started perming my hair at 4, my hair was not curly like this. She said it was nappy and could barely get a comb through it.

I think once my hair grows out to the collar bone unstretched it may show a more 3b/c texture. I say that because before my BC last October and I did a wash n go, my hair in the back had more of a loose curly look. I'll guess will see in another year.

Janet'

I think that I know mine, but the thickness of my hair makes my curls/coils look and behave differently than others with my texture, I think...

LittleLuxe

No clue. I just started my hair journey trying a little bit of everything and figuring out what worked for my hair and it worked well enough I never had to worry about hair typing and basing products off of that. Took a while but I feel more confident in knowing what's right for me. I imagine it might be more important or necessary to natural ladies.

JussaLady - that baby is ridiculously cute and hilarious.

beautyaddict1913

Im not sure about mine. I think its 4a/b mixed. The pictures of people who classify themselves as 4a really makes me confused. Some of the posters' hair looks like mine and others I would classify as 3c. Then there are people who classify themselves as 3c/4a and to me their hair looks like mine! Its no big deal to me. Like kimmaytube said in one of her videos, there are good hair days and bad hair days and people only show you what they want you to see. The pic in my sig is definitely a good hair day lol! To me hairtyping just helps you to better understand what your hair "can and cant do" or certain products and techniques that you may have to use in order to achieve a desired look.

3a, 3b, 3c, 4a, 4b...we have all seen far more than 5 textures of hair on this board!

dany06

I dont really know mine. I just claim 4a/4b. My curls arent loose enough to be anything else. Mine isnt slick nor is it shiny on its own. So I dont worry about it. You would think trying out products that others who have my supposed texture would make a difference. Well, it never does. My hair hates all of those heavy products and doesnt like creams.

Honestly, trying to figure out my hair type doesnt serve me any good. To me , it more important to know my hair texture ( ie. fine strands).

Last edited:

blackbarbietea

I don't know mine coz "the hair typing authoritays" are still in denial that it exists. While it's on the far end of the kinky scale it is not quite like 4a or 4b. Since people routinely get shot down on hair boards whenever they try to point out that they have super kinky hair that does not fit the existing descriptions it's easier for me to just call it "4b" for e-conversational purposes simply coz it's the last stop on the chart. It's no biggie - I lived with my hair just fine before internet hair type discourse and I pick up tips from people of any hair type and decide from there what works for my hair and what doesn't so it's not a problem.
That sounds super cool. I want your hair now!!! do you have photos?

Missjae09

Although I'm just as confused as the next woman about my hair type, I have a general idea about it, and I feel that hair typing has helped me because I like too for people with hair similar to mine to see what they are doing to get great results. I applaud anyone who has healthy flowing locs but I can ESPECIALLY appreciate someone with hair similar to my 4a/(b?)... Hair typing isn't a necessity to have healthy or long hair but I think it helps in terms of styling (the same style can look totally different on 2 different hair types), and maintenance.

Op, thanks for the post.. judging by the pics you posted.. I'm a 4a(not so much b).. Yeah, Janet' I said it... (I think) I'm a 4a! :look:

Mdmommy99

I don't know mine for real. It may be some kind of 3c/4a mix. But sometimes I see people who say their hair is 3c and it looks just like mine, sometimes I see 4as that look just like mine and sometimes I see 3cs or 4as that don't look like mine so to me it's too hard to tell and I don't see the benefit. I have thin strands so regardless of my curl pattern my hair isn't going to act like a 3c or 4a with thick strands. Plus if my hair is a blend I'm still going to put the same product in my whole head and not separate the 3 part from the 4 part.

kittykhat

I don't think it's difficult to tell someone's hair type. I know a lot of people have a mixture but it's a no brainer. Tight or loose curls or even no curls! Not that difficult.

kittykhat

Also, not every 4b is going to be the same but in general, you know how 4b looks. Same with skin color. White is white, brown is brown. Not the same shade but definitely the same color. Yep.

NaturalBoss

I don't know my hair type and my hair type doesn't have anything to do w/ me having long, healthy hair....so it really doesn't matter to me.

13StepsAhead

Don't know and it doesnt matter to me anyway. There are way too many confusing systems; I know I have about three different textures I just have to find the right product(s).

ATLcutey20

i know my hair type. i was natural for about 3 years before going back to relax.

i think its good to know product wise, but i don't think you have to know in order to grow long healthy hair.