Naturals w/Type 3 Hair - Please Share

WantNatural

What challenges do you face when maintaining and retaining hair length? I've been wondering this for a little while. I see so many posts where ladies with type 4 hair state that type 3 hair is easier to maintain and retains length better. I understand that with type 3 curls the curl pattern is looser and the roots tend to be a bit straighter, so it's easier for the sebum to travel down the hair shaft, coating it and protecting it. But I also believe that there are other factors that determine what type of hair we have overall. Our curl pattern alone does not dictate the products that we use, how our hair behaves, or how easy or hard it is for us to retain length. The thickness of our individual strands, the density of our hair overall, and the texture, whether silky, cottony, etc., in addition to the size of our curl pattern all play a part. I read in a thread the other day where someone with type 3 curls stated that because her hair is so fine split ends tend to travel up the hair shaft quickly, impeding her ability to retain. She stated that she should have been waist length by now.:wallbash: So ladies with Type 3 curls, here's your chance - please educate the rest of us on some of the challenges that you face, and how you have overcome them!

BostonMaria

I'll post my challenges, not sure if this is what you're looking for:

My hair is 3b in the nape and front, 3c all over. Sounds great right? Well when I do a wash and go its just awful and reminds me of a mullet. I wish I had ONE hair type all over whether it was 3b or 3c. Having one side curl and the other wave is not cute at all.

I see 3a-3b hair and think to myself, oh they got it easy. I'm sure those ladies look at the ones with wavy hair and think the same thing. We always think the grass is always greener on the other side.

chebaby

im a 3c. my hair is very fine and not as thick as it once was. ive only bee natural for 9 or 10 months.
my left side tangles more than the right side because my curls are looser on the left side.

thats really all i can think of lol. i havent really been doing protective styles, just wash and go puffs, i co wash daily and i think that helps me retaing because my hair is always detangled and moisturized.

NaturalPath

What challenges do you face when maintaining and retaining hair length? I've been wondering this for a little while. I see so many posts where ladies with type 4 hair state that type 3 hair is easier to maintain and retains length better. I understand that with type 3 curls the curl pattern is looser and the roots tend to be a bit straighter, so it's easier for the sebum to travel down the hair shaft, coating it and protecting it. But I also believe that there are other factors that determine what type of hair we have overall. Our curl pattern alone does not dictate the products that we use, how our hair behaves, or how easy or hard it is for us to retain length. The thickness of our individual strands, the density of our hair overall, and the texture, whether silky, cottony, etc., in addition to the size of our curl pattern all play a part. I read in a thread the other day where someone with type 3 curls stated that because her hair is so fine split ends tend to travel up the hair shaft quickly, impeding her ability to retain. She stated that she should have been waist length by now.:wallbash: So ladies with Type 3 curls, here's your chance - please educate the rest of us on some of the challenges that you face, and how you have overcome them!

:yep: I believe the bolded was me.

I really hate when people say type 3 is easier to maintain or retain, especially when they are not the ones doing my hair. I hope this does not offend. Of course, detangling is easier but thats pretty much it.

I'll explain furthur.

My hair is fine, lacks density and is silky in texture. Like you already mentioned; It splits easily even when I keep up with protein and moisture treatments. I learned the hard way that co-washing and weekly deep treatments are too much. Henna is great for adding strength and weight, but it relaxes alot of my texture :nono:

Styling options are EXTREMELY limiting for me. Because my hair is silky by nature, braids and weaves are not an option! I wore kinky twists for 1 month and within 2 weeks the extension hair was already falling out.

I tried putting in yarn braids today, again due to the silkiness the yarn kept slipping off.

My styling options are pretty much limited to buns, rollersets and wash n go's, even though wash n go's leave me with single stranded knots.

NO: braids, weaves, twists, twist outs serve no purpose as my natural texture looks like a twist out anyway, and I despise straight hair on myself.

To overcome this: I had to realize my hair is my hair and I need to stop wishing I had a different texture. I have to figure out for myself what works for my hair. As of now im bunning for a while to retain as much length as possible and by using aphogee 2-step monthly to recover strength. I have also cut down hair washing to 2 times weekly and no longer co-wash.

Sorry if this is sooooo long

Last edited:

a_shoe_6307

I, like Boston Maria, have both 3b and 3c hair. The nape and front and side is 3b (more wavy than curly) and the crown and the rest of my hair is 3c (curly). I hate it because when I wash and go I do not have uniformed hair. I rarely wear my hair wash & goes out because the longer it gets the more you can see the differences in texture. When it was very short (after my BC) it did not look that different and blended better. Now that it is past EL you can really tell the difference.

Also, my 3b hair will get straight very easy. Meaning after a couple of days rocking a wash and go and other natural styles it starts to straighten and becomes less wavy so I can never go days without having to wash and redo my style like some of the 4 ladies do.

Lastly, I am constantly combating dryness. It seems like my curls just soaks up any type of moisture. That is why I am big on cowashing, moisturizing my hair, and sealing my ends. I also try to follow a low manipulation regimen to help with dryness and the frizzies.

Last edited:

a_shoe_6307

I really hate when people say type 3 is easier to maintain or retain, especially when they are not the ones doing my hair. I hope this does not offend. Of course, detangling is easier but thats pretty much it.

I'll explain furthur.

My hair is fine, lacks density and is silky in texture. Like you already mentioned; It splits easily even when I keep up with protein and moisture treatments. I learned the hard way that co-washing and weekly deep treatments are too much. Henna is great for adding strength and weight, but it relaxes alot of my texture :nono:

Styling options are EXTREMELY limiting for me. Because my hair is silky by nature, braids and weaves are not an option! I wore kinky twists for 1 month and within 2 weeks the extension hair was already falling out.

I tried putting in yarn braids today, again due to the silkiness the yarn kept slipping off.

My styling options are pretty much limited to buns, rollersets and wash n go's, even though wash n go's leave me with single stranded knots.

NO: braids, weaves, twists, twist outs serve no purpose as my natural texture looks like a twist out anyway, and I despise straight hair on myself.

To overcome this: I had to realize my hair is my hair and I need to stop wishing I had a different texture. I have to figure out for myself what works for my hair. As of now im bunning for a while to retain as much length as possible and by using aphogee 2-step monthly to recover strength. I have also cut down hair washing to 2 times weekly and no longer co-wash.

To the bold:

I totally agree. It is easier to detangle, but not easier to maintain.

Ltown

Greyland

I'll explain furthur.

Oh thank you so much. I just finish my transition and posted in my album how my hair is too soft and I won't be getting afro. While transitioning I could not get a twist/braid out. I'm style challenge!

WantNatural

Yes Wavesofmotion that was you! Reading your post made me decide to post this question. Thanks ladies for your responses. I love my hair, I have mostly type 4a curls with some looser type 3 curls running throughout, and I'm sure some 4b as well. I really hate the hair typing system but I do classify my curl size. Anyway, I too get tired of seeing people say that type 3 hair is easier, etc., because I believe we all face our own challenges. I just wanted to give ladies a chance to voice what some of those challenges are, since many of us have no idea! :nono:

NaturalPath

Oh thank you so much. I just finish my transition and posted in my album how my hair is too soft and I won't be getting afro. While transitioning I could not get a twist/braid out. I'm style challenge!

Your welcome and congrats on ending your transition. I had to realize that too, I was so disapointed when I found out twists and fro's were not possible. I am style challenged as well :drunk:

Yes Wavesofmotion that was you! Reading your post made me decide to post this question. Thanks ladies for your responses. I love my hair, I have mostly type 4a curls with some looser type 3 curls running throughout, and I'm sure some 4b as well. I really hate the hair typing system but I do classify my curl size. Anyway, I too get tired of seeing people say that type 3 hair is easier, etc., because I believe we all face our own challenges. I just wanted to give ladies a chance to voice what some of those challenges are, since many of us have no idea! :nono:

Thank you for posting this question:yep:. There are so many misconceptions about hair types and like BostonMaria stated "We always think the grass is always greener on the other side. "

Last edited:

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Oh, where to begin? Well, I started my HHJ last August. I thought that my texture was 3b/c. However, I've noticed that the better I take care of my hair, the more the texture changes. Is this happening to anyone else? Anyway, my once 3b/c hair is now 2c(?)-3a/b. My curls are much looser & silkier. I've always had a "runway" down the center of my head that was 3a, now it's 2b/c'ish, with the rest of my hair being 3a/b - like when I was young. I have to do Bantu twists to get curls and my hair is straight within 2-3 days of washing. It used used to hold its curls for at least a week. Sigh, it's mine and I luv it, but, it is trying. On the other hand, I've figured out how to control the split ends and my hair is the healthiest its been in my adult life.

Nayna

Unbothered
I have that split problem as well. Once I started incorporating protein treatments and washing my hair in braided sections and drying stretched I was able to keep them to a minimum. I was never totally sure of my hair type because I see characteristics of both 3 and 4 in my hair so I claim both. The front of my hair is a 4 the rest is mostly 3. Braids slip in my hair making me think I have growth, lol. When I used to get it professionally braided they pulled at my crown (the curl is the loosest there) the most causing it to break off.

I actually have a harder time retaining length in the front and crown as opposed to everywhere else. I used to like getting my hair pressed until I came to realize that it caused heat damage (you can see it on some of my ends, I cut out most of it already).

Wash and gos-Forget it
Kinky twists- Negative
I'm rocking yard braids now and the crown and back are slipping already. I ordered me a wig from clairhair.com and I'm about to just rock with that for the rest of winter. I was trying to ps without wigs or weaves but it's not working. The thread from weaves completely thinned my hair out (according to my old stylist and I believe her because she wouldn't turn down $250 for no good reason, lol). So far braidouts are truly my only friend and go to hairstyle.

testimony777

...Also, my 3b hair will get straight very easy. Meaning after a couple of days rocking a wash and go and other natural styles it starts to straighten and becomes less wavy so I can never go days without having to wash and redo my style like some of the 4 ladies do....

I totally feel you on this one, especially the part in bold. I am a 3b/3c mix as well but my curls are relatively uniform all over my head. I say I am a 3b/c mix because the diameter of my curls is in between the diameter of 3b curls and 3c curls. Because of the texture of my hair it straightens very easily. The longest I can go without restyling is 2 days (I have on occasion been able to stretch to 3 but it is truly a stretch). So going a week without manipulating my hair is impossible. In addition to that I have fine to medium strands that split easily. I have to be super careful with my tresses to keep splits and breakage at bay. Being able to manipulate once a week would be awesome but it is a no no for me.

I also hate when I hear people say that those with 3 type hair have it easier. The fact of the matter is that most of us can only speak with any authority on the type of hair that we have. I can't say whether it is more or less difficult to care for my hair than it is to care for type 4 hair because I have never had to care for type 4 hair.

Nayna

Unbothered
Oh, where to begin? Well, I started my HHJ last August. I thought that my texture was 3b/c. However, I've noticed that the better I take care of my hair, the more the texture changes. Is this happening to anyone else? Anyway, my once 3b/c hair is now 2c(?)-3a/b. My curls are much looser & silkier. I've always had a "runway" down the center of my head that was 3a, now it's 2b/c'ish, with the rest of my hair being 3a/b - like when I was young. I have to do Bantu twists to get curls and my hair is straight within 2-3 days of washing. It used used to hold its curls for at least a week. Sigh, it's mine and I luv it, but, it is trying. On the other hand, I've figured out how to control the split ends and my hair is the healthiest its been in my adult life.

Hmm, I didn't know if it was because my hair got longer, or heat damage or just taking care of it better but my pattern is not the same from when I chopped. I wasn't caring for it then. The only thing I knew of was Miss Jessies curly pudding and the oily mess of a buttercreme. I didn't start caring for it till last year January and the difference is interesting. I actually wouldn't mind the old curls though. They were a little more uniform. My crown has always been different but it's stark now.

GaiasDaughter24

I'll explain furthur.

ITA with the bolded. I had a long response written but it erased :wallbash: Anyway, I have 4a or b (not sure) but my DH is 3a/3b hair. He wants MBL but his hair hasn't grown in abour 2 years because of breakage. I used to be envious of type 3 hair..........until I met my DH LOL When I started caring for his hair it made me realize that EVERYONE has pros and cons with their hair.

My DH is mullato (mom's white, dad's black) and people assume his hair is SO easy. But it has it's own difficulties. He LOVES when I cornrow his hair but I hate it. His hair is SUPER fine and his braids start frizzing in about 2 days and they're pretty much a hot mess in 4. I hate doing them because I have to braid them SO tight that my fingers cramp. Needless to say he doesn't get them often. Straightening is SO simple on his hair but I don't want to add too much heat to it since it dries it out.

Right now DH is my guinea pig. He and DD are hair twins. We both want to be able to do her hair. We want her to love her hair and not be frustrated when she's older with the frizz and tangles and lack of styles so we're practicing on him. Currently, she's aout 2c/3a like DH was at her age. I'm assuming it'll be like his when she's older and has more hair. Any 3-heads want to pass on some tips?:wink2:

So I definetly believe that everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side.But in reality, everyone has pros and cons when it comes to hair.

Sorry for the long post :blush:

GaiasDaughter24

Also, my 3b hair will get straight very easy. Meaning after a couple of days rocking a wash and go and other natural styles it starts to straighten and becomes less wavy so I can never go days without having to wash and redo my style like some of the 4 ladies do.

Lastly, I am constantly combating dryness. It seems like my curls just soaks up any type of moisture. That is why I am big on cowashing, moisturizing my hair, and sealing my ends. I also try to follow a low manipulation regimen to help with dryness and the frizzies.

MmmHmm. If I go about 2 days without washing DH's or DD's hair it will go bone straight.

Eritreladiee

I consider my hair in the 3c category. My hair is very fine, so I have to be very careful what I do to it. Colour seriously damages my hair, so I won't be doing that anymore. I really have to limit my heat usage otherwise I get splits very easily. Because my hair is so fine, I think that makes me more prone to heat damage and the loosened curl pattern effect. So I rarely flat-iron my hair, but when I do it'll only last 2 days (3 max) before it becomes greasy, flat and in desperate need for a wash. The fine hair gets on my nerves- I've only henna'd once for an hour and I'm afraid to keep doing it, because I don't want to lose my curls.

In terms of other styles- twist outs don't work for me, it just don't look right. Braid outs are a bit better. When I do my hair in cornrows I have to redo them after 3-4 days max otherwise they look really fuzzy and unkempt. It would've been very annoying if I had to go to someone else to braid my hair (but luckily, I'm the person other people come to for a braid-up)

When I do my wash n go's I also get single strand knots.

Yeah, i don't understand why people talk about how the 3's have it much easier in retaining length. Perhaps detangling is faster for me, but I have very fine hair that's dry in it's curly state, that's very sensitive and prone to damage and I have to manipulate my hair alot in order not to look or frizzy/fuzzy- so it could be quite challenging for us as well. I'm not gonna sit here and say I have it harder than the next chick, because all our hair has it strengths and weaknesses. But I just feel that some women in the 4's are unable to see the strengths in their hair type and as a result wanna tell me that it's easier for me to retain length. Or is it that they want more praise for their accomplishments? I dunno.

NaturalPath

My texture has definitely changed (looser texture) and its possible it was due to henna use; I rarely straighten my hair.

I have the runway thing going on as well. The middle crown area is straight but the sides are wavy. It is very irksome

Not to hijack the the thread but it seems as though the amount of styling options decreases parallel to "looser" textures.

BostonMaria

My texture has definitely changed (looser texture) and its possible it was due to henna use; I rarely straighten my hair.

I have the runway thing going on as well. The middle crown area is straight but the sides are wavy. It is very irksome

Not to hijack the the thread but it seems as though the amount of styling options decreases parallel to "looser" textures.

Just wanted to say that your hair is very pretty!

The longer my hair gets the looser/wavy it gets. You'd think that was a good thing, but I don't necessarily like it. And no I have no heat damage. THE WHOLE POINT of me going natural was to let go of straight hair and embrace my curls. Now I can't embrace my wash and go's because my hair looks lopsided and in a mullet :-( Oh the irony.

Two strand twisting my hair is a no no cuz I get those Shirley Temple curls that looks good on my 1 yr old grandbaby but not my old a## LOL

My hair is very dry as well but the steamer is combating that problem :yep:

jupitermoon

Lately, I have been frequenting the Long Hair Care Community which is a predominantly white/nonblack forum and was shocked to learn that those with type 1 and type 2 hair also suffer from dryness, breakage, splits, and single strands knots. The Asian man with the long (if I recall he was at least waist length), straight hair complaining about being plagued with lots of single strand knots really surprised me. I agree that the grass always seems greener on the other side. Now I believe that we can all learn from each other regardless of hair type.

My hair has multiple curl sizes/textures and it's very noticeable. So, updos and buns work great. Letting my hair airdry in three or four braids can help blend the textures too. Also, due to splits and knots I could never be one of those people that never trim. My hair is coarse and requires frequent co washing to stay well moisturized and tends to become bigger and less curly with time. So, updos and buns are my friend, lol! My big coarse curly hair makes styling hard; my hair is easiest to style when wet. Some styles just aren't possible with my natural hair....

My hair is coarse and curly (afro curls) so I see properties of both type 4 and type 3 hair with my hair.

NaturalPath

Just wanted to say that your hair is very pretty!

The longer my hair gets the looser/wavy it gets. You'd think that was a good thing, but I don't necessarily like it. And no I have no heat damage. THE WHOLE POINT of me going natural was to let go of straight hair and embrace my curls. Now I can't embrace my wash and go's because my hair looks lopsided and in a mullet :-( Oh the irony.

Two strand twisting my hair is a no no cuz I get those Shirley Temple curls that looks good on my 1 yr old grandbaby but not my old a## LOL

My hair is very dry as well but the steamer is combating that problem :yep:

Thank you for the compliment :blush: When I first started lurking 2005 (Just recently paid my 6.50) I have been a fan of your hair!

I know what you mean about the loosening texture, I contemplated cutting my hair back to a bob where at least the waves/curls would seem tighter

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
My hair is straight up schizo: half 3c (in the front), half 4a (in the back). My 4a hair is more resilient because it doesn't get damaged as quickly. It’s also denser, so it takes a little longer to detangle (about 5-7 minutes). I :love: my 4a hair because it makes it look like my hair is thick from the back, even though it's not.

By comparison, my 3c hair in the front is more fragile and prone to breakage and splits. It’s also a lot thinner in density with a silkier texture, so it detangles in 1-2 minutes flat. Buuuuuutttttt ... because of this, I have suffered curl loosening effects from both heat and henna, although I don’t do either one with any regularity. My loosened hair in the front hangs lower than the tightly coiled hair in the back. Therefore, my wash-n-go’s look ridiculous. Observe …

I've tried everything to get those curls to come back: protein treatments, deep conditioning treatments, amla powder, the "cherry lola treatment" (learned about this one on this forum) ... all to no avail. Now, I have to cut my hair a little at a time to get rid of the damage.

Sooooo.annoying. :ohwell:

BillsBackerz67

ironically its easier for me to retain length better with straight hair. I dont get breakage with curly hair but the single strand knots cause me to get hair trims all the time. Since ive been wearing it pressed, no knots.

honeisos

The longer my hair gets the looser/wavy it gets. You'd think that was a good thing, but I don't necessarily like it.

This is me too Maria ... I want longer hair .. but my hair gets heavier and my curls are looser.. My hair in the front on the top is a 3b now .. all S wave no curl ..I have to scrunch it to death to get the curl going..
With my shorter length .. like in my avatar, my 2 strand twists was popping! now no way can i get that affect :(
Tangles are my biggest problem.. I would LOVE to go two weeks without washing .. my hair mattes and tangles so badly and sometimes I get lazy and I dont want to deal with the whole wash routine... :ohwell:

Tinkerbell19

hmm interesting question well i am 3b and i guess i would have to say my major problem is my ends. i love my wash n go's and my hair grows super fast when i do them however the downside is that my ends get super dry:wallbash:. my ends are in much better shape when my hair is straight however it gets greasy faster which means i have to end up washing it sooner anyway and putting more heat on it when i dont want to so i guess its a bit of a catch 22 :spinning:

BillsBackerz67

My hair was like this until I stopped using product on my hair after it was straightened. I was so caught up in making sure i moisturized that it became limp and flat by day 4:perplexed Now after my hair is straightened I use maybe less than a dime sized amount of oil on the very very ends of my hair and i dont put anything on the roots. it lasts about 3 weeks before it starts to get limp.

hmm interesting question well i am 3b and i guess i would have to say my major problem is my ends. i love my wash n go's and my hair grows super fast when i do them however the downside is that my ends get super dry:wallbash:. my ends are in much better shape when my hair is straight however it gets greasy faster which means i have to end up washing it sooner anyway and putting more heat on it when i dont want to so i guess its a bit of a catch 22 :spinning:

YankeeCandle

I have many of the problems already listed here. But it's hard for me to tell what most of my problems stem from: is it the size of the curl, or is it the combined thin/fine strands and low-density of those curls?

I wonder if there's anyone with 3-sized curls that are thick-stranded and hardier-textured to the touch who can weigh in on how your hair behaves?

Maybe that will help clarfiy things in my own mind.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
^^^^ I think the issue is hair strand thickness regardless of curl type.

I have thick strands that are very "durable" if you can call them that. They rarely break or split since I stopped abusing my hair like I did when I was younger.

I don't have any worries with my hair nowadays...

Bene

I'm a 3a. Sure, I've got some 2c strands in there, but 99.99999% of the time, when I speak of my hair, it's 3a. This is probably the first and only time that I mention a different texture on my head :lachen:

Anyway, I wouldn't say 3 type hair easier to maintain, it's just a different approach. While I don't struggle with breakage, my hair does come with it's own set of challenges. It's funny when people dismiss certain hair types as just "being easier". I do actually care for my hair, I don't just neglect or abuse it and wake up with 6 inches of hair overnight. There are certain products that my hair will not put up with, such as mineral oils. They may work for some people, but my hair hates them.

My biggest issue would be frizz. Every single strand on my head wants to curl or wave, but hasn't figured out how to coordinate the effort as a group. I simply can not air-dry my hair loose. I need to oil and bun in order for my hair to look somewhat presentable.

Some people mentioned greasy hair, I don't really have an issue with that, at least not in my length area. The hair closer to my scalp will feel somewhat greasy, I can't go weeks without washing, like some ladies do, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm plagued with greasy hair. I could possibly get away with maybe 5 days in between a shampoo, but 3-4 days is routine. My ends tend to feel a bit dry, so shampoo goes on the scalp and the run off will clean the rest. I do have to heavily condition my hair with every wash to moisturize it, but I don't need to moisturize in between washings.

Detangling isn't something I have to put too much effort into. I've also been lucky in that I don't have a problem with split ends. Sure, I get them, but not to the degree where I have to do anything drastic about them. Since I've stopped abusing my hair like I did in my younger years, split ends aren't a real issue for me. The occasional S&D suits me just fine. My strands are pretty hardy and resilient, I don't have to spend too much time worrying about damage. I do take the time to handle my hair gently, I don't just rip a comb through the length and expect it to be okay. I also bun it. I can never say enough about how bunning has kept me from having to chop of crappy ends. I've learned that even the most seemingly harmless things can do a number on hair in the long run. Shoulder straps, zippers, coarse fabrics, they are the things that kept my hair short for years.

Now we get to the delicate matter of styling. I've seen lots of people talk about this illustrious, envy inducing, highly sought after "versatility". Personally, I don't like twists or braids in my hair, never have. Sure, they look great on other people but I don't want them on my head. I don't ever feel that my hair is limp or boring just because it doesn't hold certain styles well. To be honest, the styles that (I assume) my hair doesn't hold aren't styles I want anyway, so I'm not missing out on anything. Since I prefer a more "natural" look, styles that are dependent on "hold" don't suit my tastes.

If I want straight hair, I can do that. The length makes it time consuming, but when my hair was short, I could have it done in no time. If I want to wear my hair wavy, I oil and bun when it's damp and then take it down for a bit then put it back up. If I want to wear my hair curly, I oil and bun, but just take my hair down a little sooner.

Sorry this is so long, just wanted to dispel some myths about 3 type hair. We're not greasy, we're not limp, we don't all have fight split ends constantly, we don't lack versatility, nor are we all sitting around wishing we had a different texture on either side of the spectrum. My hair type certainly isn't a cakewalk, but I wouldn't trade it for any other.

Irresistible

I personally aint going there:ohwell:

lesson learned, over and over again

no matter what you spell out, the ones that believe 3 type hair is easier in this way or that way, or this or that about it will keep believing it no matter what

ya'll are just 'complaining' to them :perplexed

Mdmommy99

I don't necessarily type my hair, mostly because I can't figure it out and I also just don't find it very helpful in the end. I think I have everything on my head from 2A to 5-lol. But if I had a hair "twin" it would probably be Corbin Bleu, the biracial dude from HS Musical, meaning my hair basically looks just like that in its WNG state.
I do have people that look at my hair and say "if my hair did that I would go natural..." so on and so forth. I think that the haircare issues etc. just depend on what I'm trying to do to my hair. I love my wash-and-gos and my hair straightens easily. However it doesn't do well with any protective styles other than a straight bun. My twists look thin and scalpy, braids get frizzy fast, and because my strands are so fine any type of extension causes breakage.
My daughter has thicker strands and a tighter curl. Her hair retains legnth a lot better than mine, IMO probably because her hair does a lot better in a low manipulation style than mine.
There is so much variation even within every hair category that I don't even think it makes sense to start saying whose hair is "easier" to maintain. Even within a whole group of people that consider their hair to be 3c, some will have thicker strands, more dense, drier, etc. so what works for one person wont work for another. I think once people start assigning others hair as "easier"/"better" etc. you start teetering on good hair/bad hair territory and to me as long as you learn to accept what's good and bad for your own hair there's no real need for comparison.:grin: