Just Curious...How Many Ladies Don't Know Their HairType??

Do you know your hair type?

• Yes, my hair is all one texture. I know my hair type

Votes: 18 6.0%
  • No, my hair is all one texture. I do not know my hair type.

Votes: 54 17.9%
  • Yes, My hair is multiple textures. I know my hair type.

Votes: 83 27.5%
  • No, my hair is multiple textures. I do not know my hair type.

Votes: 158 52.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KiSseS03

I agree with Sylver2, I found the hairtyping system particularly helpful in the beginning because it kept me from having unrealistic expectations of my hair!

I believe that I am predominantly 4a.

drasgrl

I have several textures and I have no clue what mine is. My natural hair looks like bigger waves than a 3 but not loose like 2 but it doesn't look like a 4. My hair doesn't look like any of those pictures. I give up. I must have alien hair.

Sarahh.

This may sound weird but I'm not sure of my hair type because of the length.
At the moment my hair is quite short and is straight (type one), but when it was longer it was wavy and curly in parts (type 2 and 3)
Also when I have layers cut into my hair it seems to change the way it sits.
If I had to say, I think I'm a type 2 when my hair is long and doesn't have layers.
And I guess an 'a' or 'b' because my hair is fine.

SexyCap

I just say mine is type 4, various size coils/kinks... I know the hair products that work for my mom's fro, don't work for mine. Oh well... it's always 'nappy', just looks different day to day lol...

D

cocoaluv

I'm so silly. When I first joined the board I thought that my hair type would be what my hair looks like now (permed) so for awhile I thought I was like a 1A lmao.

anon123

it's pretty easy for me since most of my hair texture is uniform and if anybody round here is 4b, I am. easy peasy. In addition to that, I know my hair strands are fine to medium in thickness and my overall hair density is high. I don't know about the whole cottony, wiry, spongy thing, though.

eta: though one of these days i'm going to do one of those "what is my hair type?" threads. for some reason i think thiswould be hilarious.

Last edited:

Writer100

Thanks for sharing the article KizzieNapps because I was wondering what my hair type was and why I thought it wasn't acting right. I see that I'm primarily a 4b with some 1s thrown in from the Creamy side of the family. When I deep condition I get some coils in the back, the front is way soft like I didn't get all of the conditioner out and the rest real 4b cottony with hardly any curl definition. When dry my hair would just shrink all up except for the White folks -- they just stand up, stock straight, and wave at everybody. They so friendly! :lachen:

I'm happy to know what not to expect from my hair now. That's a load off!

Anancy

Those pics are really helpful Kizzie, thanks for sharing. I wasn't sure what my hair type was but i alway figured 4a/b. Looking at those pics i think im right :perplexed
My hair doesn't look quite as tight as 4b but it definately isn't as lose as 4a, i think my nape is more 4a.

Who knows, im just sticking with 4a/b.

KizzieNapps

I have several textures and I have no clue what mine is. My natural hair looks like bigger waves than a 3 but not loose like 2 but it doesn't look like a 4. My hair doesn't look like any of those pictures. I give up. I must have alien hair.

:yep:I feel you drasgrl! I think that's the problem with the typing system. Everyone's hair is SOOO different. Its hard to put it into one, two or three boxes sometimes

Anancy said:
Those pics are really helpful Kizzie, thanks for sharing. I wasn't sure what my hair type was but i alway figured 4a/b. Looking at those pics i think im right :perplexed
My hair doesn't look quite as tight as 4b but it definately isn't as lose as 4a, i think my nape is more 4a.

Who knows, im just sticking with 4a/b.

Writer100 said:
Thanks for sharing the article KizzieNapps because I was wondering what my hair type was and why I thought it wasn't acting right. I see that I'm primarily a 4b with some 1s thrown in from the Creamy side of the family. When I deep condition I get some coils in the back, the front is way soft like I didn't get all of the conditioner out and the rest real 4b cottony with hardly any curl definition. When dry my hair would just shrink all up except for the White folks -- they just stand up, stock straight, and wave at everybody. They so friendly! :lachen:

I'm happy to know what not to expect from my hair now. That's a load off!

You're welcome Ladies!! I'm glad those explanations helped somebody!!!:look:

cocaluv said:
I'm so silly. When I first joined the board I thought that my hair type would be what my hair looks like now (permed) so for awhile I thought I was like a 1A lmao.

LOL!!! I can completely relate to this. My hair was relaxed for so long I had forgotton I had nappy hair. Just like I wore weave so long I thought my hair was actually long:lachen:....sad but true:perplexed

Melissa-jane

I thought I was a 2c to 3c but by the pictures I see that I have 3 hair, all the ranges. My hair waves at the top and cork screws at the sides, when I tried to go natural this really frustrated me as I thought my hair would corkscrew all over. My baby son has the same hair but its corkscrews at the top and is wavy at the sides.

Knowing my texture does matter to me, I know for a fact that I have thick, course hair, there is no confusion there.:grin:

Attachments

• Photo0032.jpg
    Photo0032.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 37

MJ

Hair types are too confusing. I've seen people say their hair is 4a when it looks like the other person's 4b; person's who's 4b hair looks like 4a; and persons whose hair looks like 4b/z when it's combed out, but like 3c when they use the curly method.

Last edited:

sweetsuccess

i think im a 4.............. dont know what letter.. only time will tell. once i get rid of the relaxed ends

.......we'll see

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I don't know mine and I don't really care.

I think my hair is one thing and see someone else who says the same yet our hair looks totallydifferent.

I just say my hair type is nappy or frizzy.

Writer100

[LOL!!! I can completely relate to this. My hair was relaxed for so long I had forgotton I had nappy hair. Just like I wore weave so long I thought my hair was actually long:lachen:....sad but true:perplexed[/quote]

Too funny! I used to wear a ponytail (phony pony) that was at least 12" long. My beautician would sew it in and then tell me to stop brushing it like it grew out of my head. I would just laugh until one day I had to call her with a "ponytail emergency". I was brushing it and the thing just unraveled on me. I was too shocked! Then I laughed like he!! as I drove to her shop. You know I got the lecture. :lachen:

glamazon386

I voted Multiple Textures but I do not know my hair type.

I think I'm mostly a 4a but my sides, nape, and front are curly and my top is wavy. :wallbash:

I voted I don't know cause since I'm transitioning my hair type could be totally different once I'm completely natural. :perplexed

Also length affects the way the curls will hang too. So who knows. :rolleyes:

I do think its beneficial to know your hair type so you don't become an even worse product junkie buying up the beauty store for something that might not work.

Although I know no 2 heads are the same I spend hours stalking fotkis looking for my hair twin.:yep:

My hair looked wavy when I started transitioning but after period of time it switched over to curls. After maybe 3 or 4 months of transitioning.

eta: My hairtype is mostly 4a but I have some 3c mixed throughout. And my nape is 3b.

Carrie A

I vote no multiple textures. Just joined the board last week but I may have mistyped my hair. Heck I don't know- it seems I have every type listed. I thought kinks meant group 4 group. I may be more 3b/4a. Does anybody use the LOIS system?

KizzieNapps

I vote no multiple textures. Just joined the board last week but I may have mistyped my hair. Heck I don't know- it seems I have every type listed. I thought kinks meant group 4 group. I may be more 3b/4a. Does anybody use the LOIS system?

I've never heard of the Lois system, I'll have to go look that one up. Is that your natural hair in your siggy?? Very pretty!:yep:

KizzieNapps

[LOL!!! I can completely relate to this. My hair was relaxed for so long I had forgotton I had nappy hair. Just like I wore weave so long I thought my hair was actually long:lachen:....sad but true:perplexed

Too funny! I used to wear a ponytail (phony pony) that was at least 12" long. My beautician would sew it in and then tell me to stop brushing it like it grew out of my head. I would just laugh until one day I had to call her with a "ponytail emergency". I was brushing it and the thing just unraveled on me. I was too shocked! Then I laughed like he!! as I drove to her shop. You know I got the lecture. :lachen:[/quote]

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:This sooo sounds like one of my weave fiascos...:look:

Carrie A

Is that your natural hair in your siggy?? Very pretty!:yep:

Thanks so much. Half of the back is natural. The "upper" back and sides are relaxed. Actually, that sig pic is a year old and I should update. It was just my "starting point" after lurking and deciding to grow my hair out. I still have relaxed ends in the front and sides.

oldcrayons

I know because my hair was natural until I was 9. But then it was natural again when I was 11-15. I remember it looking like this

It helps.

prettypuff1

well I have no clue waht hair type i am ... some parts look 4a others look 3b some parts look 3c...

My hair is a good time

sepiaamor

my hair is like God, "It shall be whatsoever it chooses to be" I don't bother typing it anymore. If there were a definition after 4B my hair would be it. It is strong it is kinky it is nappy and I love it most days. On other days.... that's why I'm currently in braids.