Naturals w/Type 3 Hair - Please Share

carib_n_curly

BUMP

3c/b checking in. the 3c part of my hairis very textured but still silky.
the longer my hair gets the loose my curls get which i find annoying.
the 3b part are starting to look 3a because of length and i know its length loosing my hair because i just cut 2-3 inches from the 3b area of my head and its gone back to looking 3b.

retention has been a nightmare for me
it only since last year have i been able to retention much

i have a huge issue with split ends and i can't retain well with them
my split became worse when my hair became heat damaged and then from that i have alot of bubble hair.
so when i trim or cut my hair i cut through a bubble and voila another split

i'm trimming 2-3 inches this weekend
i'm also going to wear twist which by the 3 day i look homeless but that's what beanie hats are made for.

Nice & Wavy

Just wanted to say that your hair is very pretty!

The longer my hair gets the looser/wavy it gets. You'd think that was a good thing, but I don't necessarily like it. And no I have no heat damage. THE WHOLE POINT of me going natural was to let go of straight hair and embrace my curls. Now I can't embrace my wash and go's because my hair looks lopsided and in a mullet :-( Oh the irony.

Two strand twisting my hair is a no no cuz I get those Shirley Temple curls that looks good on my 1 yr old grandbaby but not my old a## LOL

My hair is very dry as well but the steamer is combating that problem :yep:

ironically its easier for me to retain length better with straight hair. I dont get breakage with curly hair but the single strand knots cause me to get hair trims all the time. Since ive been wearing it pressed, no knots.
Oh, the bolded is how I feel.

My hair is 3b/3c but really fine. While curly, it can get dry and those stinky knots on the ends are a pain. I prefer to keep my hair straight because I retain more length because I don't have those knots in my way. I believe as well that those of us with 3 type hair have our own challenges.:yep:

biancaelyse

I am a 3B in front and 3C eslewhere. I've been natural for 10 years if not longer so I'm pretty much used to it.

I used to get frustrated that it was very hard for me to straighten my hair with a flat iron, that it reverts at the roots very easily.

Right now I don't fight my hair. I let it stay curly because my hair seems healthier and happier this way. It's healthy and thick - if I had a gripe, it would be that it gets frizzy at times and that it takes to long to air dry, especially at the roots.

I am experimenting with different ways to speed this up without creating frizz.

That's about it.

mkd

I am a 3b/c I think. My hair is silky and very fine. I can go direct heat free and bun for months at a time and end up with lots of splits. I think the fact that my hair is fine makes it so prone to splits. Twist outs and braid outs look a mess and like other said, wn go's cause single strand knots. So I mostly bun and roller set.

Whimsy

I consider myself 3c/3d Since folks told me I'm not 4a like I thought lol

My main challenge is dryness but that's not curl-pattern related. I think the one thing that is a challenge for me is that I really have to work to get big hair. I have to kinda aerate my washngos so I can get some volume, it goes out at the sides, but never up from my roots...did that make sense? So I know I'll never get the BAA I dream about, I've come to terms with it. ::sniff::
Also my hair doesn't want to hold twists well, the ends love to unravel and taunt me.

carib_n_curly

maybe i should straighten my hair more since so many type 3 like me seem to have so much success from it
my hands are going to be very happy lol
i might get a portable hooded dryer and try roller sets and start keeping my hair straighter and see how that works for a bit

AuNaturalMaMa

Just wanted to say that your hair is very pretty!

The longer my hair gets the looser/wavy it gets. You'd think that was a good thing, but I don't necessarily like it. And no I have no heat damage. THE WHOLE POINT of me going natural was to let go of straight hair and embrace my curls. Now I can't embrace my wash and go's because my hair looks lopsided and in a mullet :-( Oh the irony.

Two strand twisting my hair is a no no cuz I get those Shirley Temple curls that looks good on my 1 yr old grandbaby but not my old a## LOL

My hair is very dry as well but the steamer is combating that problem :yep:

ITA with the bolded. I'm glad I found this thread because I see so many posts about "heat damaged hair" and the other day I noticed that my curls have gotten so much looser. The smaller curls are now med curls, and the larger curls are waving, and the waves some of them look straight. I was immediately like "OH NO MY HAIR IS HEAT DAMAGED!!" Then I was like ion even use heat like 1 this year so far. Thank goodness I have some kind of explanation! I have the same with wash and go the front hangs so much more because its looser, I miss my SL wash and go's. I also have a time with 2 strand twist they just look weird and they dont even stay they unravel so much! I stick to braid outs.

SmilingElephant

I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm mostly 3c/3b with 4a in my nape and sides.

I've always believed my strands were coarse, yet the 4a curls as more fine in texture...now I'm wondering if my hair overall is fine. My front "runway" is coarse in that the individual strands are VERY thick. They grow super fast...I can hack off 3 inches in the front and it will grow back in 2 to 3 months! :shock: The rest of my hair? Not so much.

I suffer with the fairy knots. Not so much split ends, although I get those too, but the knots are torture!

I don't have many styling options. I do wash n go's, buns, and ponytails. Sometimes I'll pin pieces back in different ways with bobby pins but I'm mainly a wash n go girl.

For the past few weeks I've been damp bunning and co washing daily and my hair really likes that, I'm finding. I think the moisture is making my really loose curls, curl up more, and everything over all looks springier! :D

Bunning my hair and even sometimes pineappling my hair causes it to stretch out straight. :ohwell:

Twist outs and braid outs are a joke on my hair, they never come out right and just like everyone else in this post said, they always unravel :(

I do love my hair, but sometimes I wish I had more options. I'm waiting to get a little past my goal length so that I can start trimming 1-2 inches every 3 to 4 months to keep the fairy knots at bay.

Chazz

I have been natural 4 years and i have 3c.
my hair need cowash 2 -3x a week and i have to deep condition 2x a week.
my hair love oil: grapeseed oil, avocado oil, almond oil.
protective style is must to keep from having strand knot.(twist's)
I can't using grease or pink lotion it drys out my scalp and hair.
All hair types need care and so don't think my hair is better.
i do have a battle with frizz.
This is a picture of my hair before it break off. 9/14

Attachments

• IMG_20140903_152319.jpg
    IMG_20140903_152319.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 16