Just want to share with you all...

pebbles

You ladies on this board are the only people I have to celebrate with when something goes right with my hair, so please forgive me if I'm rambling. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I just took the plunge and had a lye relaxer applied over the no-lye I used to use. I'm so excited, I'm giddy! My hair looks gorgeous. I didn't go to the salon because I didn't want to spend the $115.00, so I had a friend apply the relaxer for me. I used the Optimum Rx cream relaxer for color treated and damaged hair. I was using the Optimum no-lye Advanced Anti-breakage system which I liked a lot. But after getting this lye relaxer, I now see the difference. My hair is much softer, and looks more vibrant. I took Shamboosies advice and had the relaxer massaged into the rest of my hair right before rinsing it out, to condition the no-lye hair as he suggested in his book.

Anyway, to make a long story short, my hair has grown!! I have never gotten this much growth in such a short time and I have never had this much length, ever. I credit the vitamins, the frequent washes and deep conditioners, and the constant moisturizing I do. Thanks for all the great advice!

Just want to say thanks to all the women on this board who encouraged me and told me that my hair goal was not unrealistic. I am now a true believer that with proper care, I can grow my hair longer than it has ever been.

I took some pictures and will post them as soon as I figure out how to do it! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

keylargo

congrats pebbles! i'm happy for you. i think i will do the exact same thing that you did when i relax my hair. my hair is not ready yet because it's still healing from the damage i've caused over the past few months.
let us know how your hair holds up over the next few weeks.

BronxDiva

Pebbles,

How long did you leave the relaxer on the rest of your hair for? I am doing mine tomorrow with Mizani. Congrats on the new growth and beautiful outcome /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne0914

congratulations, pebbles, on the successful retouch and all that growth! i'm so excited for you! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne

pebbles

Hi BronxDiva,

After we applied the relaxer to the new growth and smoothed it, she applied the relaxer to the rest of my hair with her fingers and massaged it in. I left it in for maybe 5 minutes at most because my hair already had a no-lye relaxer on it. I just wanted to take Shamboosie's advice and condition the previously no-lye relaxed hair. He insists that there are benefits to going over a no-lye with a lye. I washed it soon after. I did a reconstructor for 10 minutes, followed by a deep conditioner. Good luck on the Mizani relaxer. I wanted to get that but I'm a little low on cash now so I used the optimum which I am really pleasantly surprised with. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne0914

it says your album is empty, pebbles. you need to change it from private to public to share your pics with us.

adrienne

pebbles

I just changed the status. I'm having some difficulty viewing the pictures. Hope you can see them. I'll keep checking. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kitkat

Pebbles, hooray!! Glad that a lye relaxer worked so well for you, and congrats on your growth! I used a lye relaxer this summer for the first time after years of using no lye, and I can definitely tell the difference.

FYI, I tried to view your album but it sez it's empty. I'd love to see your pics!

G

Hi Pebbles!

Your hair looks fabulouso!! Its so healthy looking. Congratulations!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pebbles

Thanks pooh123!! Hopefully everyone else won't have a hard time viewing my album. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

Your welcome! It really is gorgeous. Did you do a doobie wrap for that hairstyle? I love it? How long is it now? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

pebbles

Hi pooh123,

I didn't do a doobie wrap. After we rinsed out the conditioner, she sprayed my hair down with setting lotion and combed it straight because I didn't want to rollerset. I sat under a hood drier and let it dry. She calls this molding. It dries much faster that way. Then when my hair was dry, she used a flat iron to give some waves to the ends. She really had to talk me into this because I don't use heating appliances anymore. We compromised on a cool setting which is why my hair didn't come out with a lot of curl. That's it! It came out better than I expected, but I am really afraid of the blow dryer and curling irons, etc. I won't be doing this again anytime soon. Usually I just wash and let it air dry. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

Pooh123,
By the way girl, you have some fabulous looking hair yourself!! I would love to have your thickness!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Armyqt

Hey Pebbles, I just saw your picture trail album. Your hair looks GREAT!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif It looks very soft and shiny and thick too. Keep up the good work. You Grow Girl!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jenai

Pebbles your hair looks so shiny and healthy. I am glad the switch from no-lye to lye went so well. Girl, keep up the good work.

BronxDiva

Just wanted to say THANKS! My hair came out great. I appreciate your advice /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Peachtree

Pebbles girl, your hair looks f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s ! ! !
I'm seriously considering changing from No-lye to Lye...I've put
it off for a year now. I've read alot of posts about the good benefits of Lye (more moisturizing). I'm just kinda' chicken because I'm right at bra-strap & healthy and don't want to jeopardize that due to fear of the unknown! Oh goodness.....decisions, decisions!

Mahalialee4

Ditto on all the compliments. You have worked very hard and taken good care of your hair and it definitely shows. Lovely...thank you for sharing, it was encouraging to many. Bonjour.

pebbles

Thanks PeachTree and Mahalialee4! I don't have anyone to be happy with about any successes I have concerning my hair except for the women on this board, so I really appreciate the encouragement and compliments. /images/graemlins/smile.gif