Relaxer Question????

Aidenberry03

I am wondering if you can switch from no lye to lye back to no lye.

See I used to use the Optimum No Lye relaxer then switched to the lye----I love the texlax results of the mild lye formula, but it burns my scalp so bad. Well I never had that problem with the no lye formula---my hair was just dry as hell. So I am considering going back to no lye, but I would like to keep some hair on my head during the process.:grin:

Any suggestions.:ohwell:

PinkSkates

A conditioning lye relaxer is the best relaxer for your hair and your scalp. It will leave the hair silkier and softer by conditioning as it relaxes the hair. The conditioning lye relaxer allows the hair to receive the moisture from conditioners it needs to retain its softness and to remain pliable. There is no calcium buildup and no extreme dryness, which you will usually get with a no lye relaxer. The conditioning lye relaxer leaves the cuticle layer of the hair healthier. (I'm paraphrasing Shamboosie in this paragraph.)

You should shop around and find a professional hair dresser to do a corrective conditioning lye relaxer on your hair; before you do irreversiable damage to your hair. Good luck.

Aidenberry03

What would be considered a conditioning lye relaxer ? Trust me, if I can figure something out soon....and I mean real soon, I will just have to break out those clippers and short cut here I come :perplexed

LocksOfLuV

If the relaxer burns your scalp stay away from it. Please stop doing damage to your scalp in the name of a relaxer.

Lye or no lye, a healthy scalp should always be a top priority on your list. Without that it is impossible to grow hair. I am a believer that consistent burning and scabing from a relaxer eventually causes damage. It's not that deep.

I went from no lye, to lye, and now I am back at no lye. With no problem. The only thing is I didn't corrective over my lye areas, that's asking for trouble. You either have to grow it out or cut it off, just don't over-process it.

Anyways, my no lye hair is actually silkier and more moist. Don't believe all the hype about no lye build-up yaddi yah, because a lot of people who are experiencing this alleged build-up need to clarify point blank. If you don't clarify of course there will be build-up. Not saying it isn't true, but regardless of what type of relaxer you use you need to stay on top of your clarifying game.

Also, not all relaxers are created equal, lye or no lye. What kind were you using? It could be contributing to your dryness.

Aidenberry03

Well the relaxer was the Optimum No Lye. Don't know what to do. I am giving my self a few months to make my decision, but needed more imput:D

Thank you locks and pinkskates

BTW. Why can't you go over a lye with a no lye---it can be done vice versa with no ill effects?

Educate me

mochamadness

Going the Distance
Aidenberry03 said:
What would be considered a conditioning lye relaxer ? Trust me, if I can figure something out soon....and I mean real soon, I will just have to break out those clippers and short cut here I come :perplexed

:huh: I don't think so missy, we will be fighting!! I don't have an answer, since I've never made the switch, but I'm bumping maybe someone else may know.

SleekandBouncy

LocksOfLuV said:
If the relaxer burns your scalp stay away from it. Please stop doing damage to your scalp in the name of a relaxer.

Lye or no lye, a healthy scalp should always be a top priority on your list. Without that it is impossible to grow hair. I am a believer that consistent burning and scabing from a relaxer eventually causes damage. It's not that deep.

I went from no lye, to lye, and now I am back at no lye. With no problem. The only thing is I didn't corrective over my lye areas, that's asking for trouble. You either have to grow it out or cut it off, just don't over-process it.

Anyways, my no lye hair is actually silkier and more moist. Don't believe all the hype about no lye build-up yaddi yah, because a lot of people who are experiencing this alleged build-up need to clarify point blank. If you don't clarify of course there will be build-up. Not saying it isn't true, but regardless of what type of relaxer you use you need to stay on top of your clarifying game.

Also, not all relaxers are created equal, lye or no lye. What kind were you using? It could be contributing to your dryness.

I sense a little angry black woman attitude with that "alleged" buildup comment! :lol: But seriously...why did you switch back to no lye?
I was thinking of switching from ORS no lye to lye, but I'm afraid of underprocessing/texlaxing

SleekandBouncy

LocksOfLuV said:

There we go with the angry black woman attitude with that little "alleged" buildup comment! You calling them liars? :lol: But seriously...why did you switch back to no lye?
I was thinking of switching from ORS no lye to lye, but I'm afraid of underprocessing/texlaxing