Keeping long hair as you age....

londa70

I've been pondering this possibility. I mean we all know someone who decided to cut their hair as they got older because it was thining, falling out, or whatever other reason.. This scares me! I mean all those years of sweating (for many of us) to get long hair only to lose it in old age. Okay, so I'm only 29 but still. Does any one know a woman let's say 50+ with long (and healthy) hair? Please share! I know I want to be buried with long hair!!!

I think by the time I'm 45 or 50 personally speaking, I'd prefer my hair be shorter than it is now. I've seen older women (black and white) with really long hair and somehow I think it ages them some... I can't explain why but it does.:ohwell:

MizAvalon

My Mom is 57 and she always had long hair up until about 5 years ago. So all through her 40's and early 50's it was long. I thought she looked nice with it and didn't really think it made her look old, but I had no frame of reference since her hair had always looked like that.

It started thinning from age/medication and she decided to cut it short and LOVES it!:eek: I was in complete and total shock because she always swore she would never cut her hair. Now, you couldn't PAY that woman to go back to longer hair. She says that people tell her all the time that she looks younger with the shorter hair, but honestly I think she looks her age or older. She looks like one of those older black ladies with their short hair and sweatsuits and tennis shoes on with their fanny packs!:lol: You know the ladies I mean!

As for me, I would like to keep my hair long forever because I just don't really like short hair. But I guess it will depend on how my hair behaves when I get older.

londa70

Fannie pack...too funny! Maybe that's why women go short because it makes them look younger..hmm. Maybe it's more carefree short to some. My mom is 52 and she's trying to grow it longer! Maybe it's just personal choice. I was just curious if when you get older (and have long hair)do you cut it because it's not growing/acting the same or you choose to cut it just because...thanx for the response ladies!

Isis

There is no reason in the world why any of the ladies here can't have long, healthy, thick hair throughout life. I've seen many women, black and white in their 60s, 70s and older with beautiful long and healthy hair. Usually, when it thins out or whatnot, it's because of poor health, medications or poor haircare and that can happen at any age.

I also believe black women (or women of color) look younger as they enter their golden years with long, healthy hair. :yep:

Last edited:

Mestiza

Most of the women and some of the men in my family have long hair. It's one the first things that people mention. :lol: My mom, some of my uncles and aunts (most of my aunts are under 40, though) and my grandma have long, beautiful hair. My dad told me that I must NOT cut my hair. I do plan to let it grow much longer and don't see myself cutting it short when I'm older, either. :nono:

Last edited:

glamazon386

londa70 said:
I've been pondering this possibility. I mean we all know someone who decided to cut their hair as they got older because it was thining, falling out, or whatever other reason.. This scares me! I mean all those years of sweating (for many of us) to get long hair only to lose it in old age. Okay, so I'm only 29 but still. Does any one know a woman let's say 50+ with long (and healthy) hair? Please share! I know I want to be buried with long hair!!!

Yeah, my great grandmother turned 80 today and she has a head full of waistlength hair. She keeps it pinned up under a short wig though. She only wears her hair out while in the house. She had cancer a few years back and didn't loose any of her hair from the Chemo. Go figure? All of her daughters have thick hair and the youngest is 50 with mid back length hair. Three of them still wear it long but my grandmother and one of the other sisters both have short haircuts for manageabilty. They said it's just too much hair to deal with. I've never seen my grandmother with long hair in my 20 years. I've only seen pictures. My mom is also 45 with mid back length hair. She said her hair didn't get long until after she had my younger brother. She said it was short most of her life. And after a short cut when I was around 5 or 6, it didn't get long until I was in high school. I think she has a different texture than the rest of her family though. Many of them don't relax, or if they do it's once or twice a year to cut down on the bulk of the hair. They have type 2 wavy hair. My mother's a 4b who relaxes faithfully every 8 weeks.

Last edited:

Country gal

I had a similar thread regarding why do older women feel the need to cut their hair. I think it really depends on your look. My aunt is in her 50s and looks good with older hair.

H

honey_jammz82

*Dee* said:
I am definitely keeping my hair long as I age. I want to be secsy for life!! :lol:

Ditto! I love seeing older women with long hair!

Co signing w/ dee & hj:yep: I was in walmart last week and i saw a lady that looked like she was in her 40's w/ gorgeous,waistlength hair.It was gray and boy was it beautiful!!

londa70

I agree ladies, long hair is sexy. That's why I want to grow it and keep it for as long as I can!:D But...if for some reason I can't keep it as I age I'll bow out gracefully and get a cute short look.

Mariaat40

I'm 46 and people always assume that I'm a good 10 years younger than I am. I've attributed that, in part, to my long hair. My hair is cut in a graduated style, with long bangs progressively getting longer - brastrap in the back. Maybe that's a better cut for an older face.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Oprah has "long" hair and she is 50+. I don't know if we can contribute her hair care to her riches, but she does look great with her pony. :lol:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I will keep my long hair as I age if it's in good condition. Many women experience thinning of the hair after menopause and I believe that's why they want shorter hair. My mother's hair is very thin by now - she's 59. Long hair is simply not an option for her.:ohwell: