long hair and age

Starr1

Now personallly: Short hair on older women robs them of their sensuality, not beauty, but sensuality. Why not preserve that? Over 40 is still sexy!

I agree with this statement. . . oftentimes long flowing hair is highly sexualized and seen as very sensual and I think that that view it what contributes to that stereotype. Unfortunately, especially in the western world, there is this pervasive myth that once a woman hits a certain age they are no longer desirable/beautiful/sexy and that we should all adopt a more mature/matronly/age appropriate look- in otherwords we should become less feminine as we age. :ohwell: And a funny thing about the people who are considered "beautiful" in the fashion industry- once a female model hits the age of 26 she's generally considered too old (I'm not talking about the exceptions like Naomi or Giselle, I'm talking about the average girl). If 26 is practically dead in the modeling industry, then what does that make the rest of us?

As for me- I will not be adopting the soccer mom cut, or some short angular bob designed to lift the face when I reach 40. I'll stick to keeping my long soft wave and curls (gray hair and all)- just like my 89 year old great-grandmother (and my 90 year old great-grandfather tells her just how gorgeous she is every day. In fact the last time I saw them, he used the terms "fine as wine" and "sexy" to describe her.:yep:)

I plan on staying sexy until the day I die. . . I'm not going out like that!:lachen:

Nonie

I haven't read the whole thread but I think this Myrtis Jones aged 60 looks very nice with long hair:

And just for the record, as long as I am able to care for my hair, I'ma wear it as long as it gets and for as long as I want. I'm glad I don't pay attention to what the masses think and that I'm no slave to fashion. I do what I want to do and no one can tell me nuffin. :lol:

Nice & Wavy

I will be turning the big 40 in nov. a friend told me that women my age look older with long hair and that I should get a short hairdo fo my 40th bday this is after I had mention that my hair goal is to grow my hair to bsl in two more years and she was like girl your crazy just cut it off. Tell me what you think I have done the short hairdos in the past now I want something different.

I will be 45 in Nov and I'm going to grow my hair as long as it will grow.

Do you, boo!

:grin:

FindingMe

Girl, don't believe the hype:nono:...it depends on you, your personal style and how youthful you appear & feel. People keep telling me how much better I look with longer hair...I feel like I musta been busted when my hair was shorter even tho- I liked it like that, too...:ohwell:

I will be 40 next year and I'm bringing sexy back with the BSL hair:yep: Not planning to cut any time soon...

caribeandiva

Human being
*eyeroll*

I love how they tell older women that long hair makes them look older, and tell younger women that long hair makes them look younger. Urm, is 40 some sort of magic line at which attractiveness just goes all reverso magico and what used to be appropriate no longer is?

My mother is 53 and has the longest hair of her life and homegirl looks GOOD - and I'm not saying that just cuz she's my momma, either. :lachen:

Girl, please. Rock your hair how YOU want to rock it, and tell those silly people with their silly stereotypes (grandma hair looks OLD to me - never seen a younger woman with that style!) and silly rules (like everyone over 40 suddenly LOOKS alike, and all need the same length hair to accent their looks!!?!?!) to kiss your 40+ years of wisdom having BSL hair!! :lol:
You said it way better than I could ever have.

OP, BTW how old is your friend and in what shape is her hair?

mahoganee

*eyeroll*

I love how they tell older women that long hair makes them look older, and tell younger women that long hair makes them look younger. Urm, is 40 some sort of magic line at which attractiveness just goes all reverso magico and what used to be appropriate no longer is?

My mother is 53 and has the longest hair of her life and homegirl looks GOOD - and I'm not saying that just cuz she's my momma, either. :lachen:

Girl, please. Rock your hair how YOU want to rock it, and tell those silly people with their silly stereotypes (grandma hair looks OLD to me - never seen a younger woman with that style!) and silly rules (like everyone over 40 suddenly LOOKS alike, and all need the same length hair to accent their looks!!?!?!) to kiss your 40+ years of wisdom having BSL hair!! :lol:
Well said!:thumbsup:

prospurr4

I agree with this statement. . . oftentimes long flowing hair is highly sexualized and seen as very sensual and I think that that view it what contributes to that stereotype. Unfortunately, especially in the western world, there is this pervasive myth that once a woman hits a certain age they are no longer desirable/beautiful/sexy and that we should all adopt a more mature/matronly/age appropriate look- in otherwords we should become less feminine as we age. :ohwell: And a funny thing about the people who are considered "beautiful" in the fashion industry- once a female model hits the age of 26 she's generally considered too old (I'm not talking about the exceptions like Naomi or Giselle, I'm talking about the average girl). If 26 is practically dead in the modeling industry, then what does that make the rest of us?

As for me- I will not be adopting the soccer mom cut, or some short angular bob designed to lift the face when I reach 40. I'll stick to keeping my long soft wave and curls (gray hair and all)- just like my 89 year old great-grandmother (and my 90 year old great-grandfather tells her just how gorgeous she is every day. In fact the last time I saw them, he used the terms "fine as wine" and "sexy" to describe her.:yep:)

I plan on staying sexy until the day I die. . . I'm not going out like that!:lachen:

Very well said! I totally agree, and the bolded part made me say, "Yesss!!"