Keratin? I'm New :)

sugarbaybie

I need something that will straighten my hair but not thin out the strands like a relaxer. I have a hair diagnoses where the hormones thin my hair strands. So because relaxers do also during the straightening process, I need my hair straightened but strands not thinned. Does keratin do this?
  • Does keratin not thin out your hair strands while straightening?
  • Is or can the straightening process be permanent?
  • How often must it be applied?
  • Is it best you go to a salon? If so how much was it?
  • What is the process? I saw some who said flat ironing? Thank you ladies

Honey Bee

Keratin treatments normally require that you use an ungodly amount of heat, so I don't know how safe your strands would be.

I'd suggest the Design Essentials amino acid- based temporary straightening system. I forget the name, but do a little googling, you'll find it. There are two products, a foam and a spray. I used the spray a few times during my transition. I suggest it because you don't have to use high heat with it.

sugarbaybie

Keratin treatments normally require that you use an ungodly amount of heat, so I don't know how safe your strands would be.

I'd suggest the Design Essentials amino acid- based temporary straightening system. I forget the name, but do a little googling, you'll find it. There are two products, a foam and a spray. I used the spray a few times during my transition. I suggest it because you don't have to use high heat with it.
@Honey Bee thank you. Can you tell me your experience with it? I wonder does it have any chemicals as to why it doesn't require all the extra heat.
I didn't realize the heat had to be that high. That's not good.

Misshairdiva

I used the Copolla Keratin Treatment. First time I had it done in a salon, second time I just ordered it from Ebay. I kept the flat iron at 400 degrees and have NO heat damage!!! My hair has been thriving with the Keratin treatment!

ms.blue

Everyone has a different experience with the keratin treatment. The chemicals that are used is highly dangerous (formaldehyde or different forms of aldehydes). My experience was good until I suffered heat damage primarily on my leave out. I did used the treatment on the rest of my hair and even though my hair reverted to my normal pattern (other than the leave out), once my hair started growing out, I noticed there was a change in thickness within the strands. Pretty much, the treatment thinned out my hair even though the pattern was the same.

overtherainbow

I got three keratin treatments done in total as a transitioning style and my hair was fine. However, I have very course, resilient strands and my hair was in really good shape before hand. If you're trying to switch from relaxers to keratin treatments, you might be disappointed because after a few months, your new growth and your relaxed hair would behave like transitioning hair. One of the reasons why I big chopped sooner than planned was that my last keratin treatment had 0 effect on the manigability of my hair and the two textures were unbearable.
But if you're 100% natural and your hair is already 1 texture, then you will not have this problem. Also, I used GK (Global Keratin) at the salon only. The treatment itself is top knotch in my opinion and doesn't have such an off putting smell