Knotty Boy/Dreadhead HQ/DreadFX/Knatty Dreads

DMJ's Mom

This might be kind of a silly question but I have to ask...with all the people looking to use shampoos without SLS and parabens and things has anybody ever used the shampoo bars for dreadlocks? I don't know much about dreadlocks or their maintenance but correct me if I'm wrong aren't their shampoo bars residue free and in most cases all natural? Also because dreadlocks aren't exactly moisturized the way loose hair is wouldn't the shampoo bars be fairly moisturizing?

ravenmerlita

It's an interesting question. I purchased some dreadloc starter packages for a good friend of mine a couple of years ago when she loc'd her hair. I don't remember the shampoo bars but I remember that the shampoo seemed more like clarifying shampoo. It was not drying but is was not moisturizing. It did rinse clean and I don't remember any residue.

ravenmerlita

Here is what the DreadHead site says about their shampoo, not the bar but I think it would be similar.

http://www.dreadheadhq.com/item--Dread-Head-Dread-Shampoo--21.html

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DreadHead Dread Soap leaves nothing behind on your hair to slow down the dreading process. No oily perfumes, no dread destroying conditioners and nothing to irritate even the most sensitive of scalps. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Our dread soap cleans the hair and leaves no residue behind. It actually helps your dreads tighten,(How?) because it gets the hair so clean and free of oils that the hair will bind, knot, dread, and tighten faster than it normally would. Many soaps make the claim that they clean hair, but these same soaps leave scents, conditioners, moisturizers, and other additives behind, which leave the hair far from clean. The scents, oils, and goo, in their customers hair, are evidence that these soaps are not doing a good job of cleaning. These things build up in your dreads and destroy them by lubricating the hairs, and loosening your knots. Soap that leaves residue on the scalp not only slows down the dreading process but it can cause itching and irritation on the scalp. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When hair is dreaded or in braids it is a little harder to rinse well and it holds residues much better because of the way it is tightly packed together. We did not add tea tree oil, rosemary, or peppermint or any other additives to our soap to change the smell, fight dandruff, or stop itching, because these very additives leave residue behind which can build up in the dreads causing irritation and facilitating the spread of dandruff and other scalp problems. Our soap is totally free of colored dyes, fragrance, phosphates, and oxidizers. If you want to add a particular fragrance to your dreads we believe in your ability to choose your own scented oil and do so. For this reason our soap is completely un-scented. When you wash your hands in this soap, dry them, and smell them, you will smell no flowery fragrances. None. Just clean. [/FONT]