Knowledgable vitamin takers - please help!!

cairopiper

Hi ladies,

I have been searching the archives looking for advice and opinions on any vitamins/supplements to take and it seems there is a lot of choice. I've narrowed down what I'd like to take but cannot see anywhere a list of the best dosages for each supplement to take of the following:

Biotin (?mg)
MSM (?mg)
Black cohosh (?mg)
Saw Palmetto (?mg)
Evening Primrose oil (?mg)
Silica (?mg)
L-cysteine (?mg)
B Complex (?mg)
Vitamin C (?mg)
Omega 3, 6, 9 (?mg)
Vitamin D (?mg)
Flaxseed oil (?mg)
Pantothenic acid (B5) (?mg)

These seems to be the most frequently stated supplements people are using, so my question is how many mg of each should I take. The one thing I don't want to do is take more than is healthy as I've read about people getting seriously ill with vitamin overload.

Sorry if this has already been covered in a previously thread but I couldn't find anything and knew there would be a lot of knowledgable ladies here that could help myself, and also others who may have had this question too :)

Oh, and please add to this list if there's anything I've missed off.

TIA
Cairo
x

Pandoras Box

i follow this to a tee for the last 7 months, with an additional 1000mg of biotin.

you have to do what is best for you tho, because some people complain from breakouts, nightmares, headaches and all sorts of things from vitamins. everyone's body reacts differently.

i had to slowly build up to my large dose of biotin and can deal with the dreams from MSM, because my hair is healthier. To me, thats a small price to pay.

Nonie

IMO, the best way to avoid vitamin overdosing is to buy a multivitamin that contains many of the supplements you want to take and avoid buying them individually. Multis are usually organized in safe ratios and also in combinations in which the supplements work best and are best assimilated. For example, I see you want to take Vitamin D but I don't see any mention of calcium. Those two need to go together. B Complex will contain Pantothenic acid, so you'll probably just pee most of it away if you take too much.

Another thing to consider is your body can only use what IT ALONE needs. Someone who used to eat a lot of raw eggs might need more biotin than you and so if that person's purpose is to grow her/his hair from biotin, it'll be a long time before there is a response because the body and organs get first dibs before hair and nails. Also someone who eats healthily may not have use for a lot of supplementation so s/he would be peeing away most of that.

Seriously, just find a multivitamin that has those supplements you care about in large quantities and take that. The rule of thumb is oil soluble vitamins are dangerous if taken in very high quantities and these include A, D, E and K. Sometimes trying to be a scientist and figure out your own formula can be dangerous. Better to leave that tasks to the pros who have the know-how for creating safe complexes.

naturalgyrl5199

Co-signing Nonie:Hi, I am a registered and licensed dietitian and nutritionist in FL. I think you can taper this list a bit by understanding a few things:B-complex has all your b vitamins (folic acid, riboflavin, thamin, niacin, biotin, pantothenic acid B6 and B12).....These are water soluble and whatever the body needs it takes and will excrete the rest (bright yellow urine).....Many feel like extra biotin helps with hair growth and swear by it....You can take an extra biotin supplement, but you WILL excrete whatever the body is not using...However, with this, you won't need to take any extra of the above vitamins in a single dose. The same goes for Vitamin C...its water soluble and toxic in high levels......Eating lean meats, fish, organ meats like liver and Milk will get you plenty of B vitamins...I have found B complex useful for energy (as they accelerate the energy-producing reactions in the body)...but not for more than a week or so...or I get nauseated. Of course plenty of melon fruits, citrus fruits help also. .......Over 90% of the population is Vitamin D deficient so I do recommend a single dose of Vitamin D. I recommend 1000IU.......If you're taking Flaxseed Oil there is no need for extra omega 3 as it has Omega 3 in it. Omega 3 and 6 (especially 3) is good for the heart. If you eat fish 1-2 times a week, you really don't need to overdo the other Omega 3 and 6. I do not recommend liquid/ or capsules Omega 3 or Omega 6 fatty acid substances because its hard to tell what ratio the Omega 3 to 6 is and in most cases you are not getting what you are buying. In many cases the version you get is not always guaranteed to be pure and can have hazardous chemicals in it (albiet in small amounts) which is risky at best. Eating tree nuts such as walnuts, pecans and cashews a few times a week along with the fish 1-2 times a week can get you a healthy amount of Omega 3 and 6 vitamins in your diet.L-cysteine is an amino acid. Eat brown rice and legumes for amino acids (aka proteins)...other plant-based proteins such as tofu, whole wheat, bulgur, etc, contributes some of this amino acid to the diet. .......The other supplements are not proven by the FDA to be safe or do what they are promoted to do....Black Cohash, evening primrose oil, Saw palmetto, etc, etc I do not even purchase. These and really all vitamins, minerals have active compounds that can affect the body's chemistry in different ways, and have no guarantee to get the results they promote. I know many ladies swear by certain supplements and I am not knocking it, but as a nutritionist they are not NECESSARY....what is recommended right now is a balanced diet that includes all food groups in adequate amounts, a multivitamin, and additional vitamin D (new research)......Starting with a multivitamin is a great way to complement what is supposed to be a balanced and complete diet.....I hope this helps.....! remember that hair growth rates are determined by genetics.......Additional vitamins, oils, etc work for some but not all....and have different results......Be well!

Salsarisma

^^^thanks for all the info!!! I follow a strict vitamin reggie by taking a multivitamin, B-Complex, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Collagen, 1TBS of Omega 3 oil, Vitamin D3, and GNC Nourishair everyday. I actually prepared a spreadsheet listing the ingredients and dosages of all my supplements to make sure I'm not overdosing on anything. And TMI, but I do get the bright yellow urine, but it doesn't matter as long as I'm taking everything in safe quantities.

naturalgyrl5199

I like the idea of a spreadsheet. If anything were to happen to you, its good to have it so folk will know what you're taking...especially if you would need to take meds...You'd be amazed how supplements interact with medications and other supplements. In grad school we were required to keep a food and drug interaction book on rotations...I still have mine and use it in my office with clients regularly.

loonggood

Hi ladies,

I have been searching the archives looking for advice and opinions on any vitamins/supplements to take and it seems there is a lot of choice. I've narrowed down what I'd like to take but cannot see anywhere a list of the best dosages for each supplement to take of the following:

Biotin (?mg)
MSM (?mg)
Black cohosh (?mg)
Saw Palmetto (?mg)
Evening Primrose oil (?mg)
Silica (?mg)
L-cysteine (?mg)
B Complex (?mg)
Vitamin C (?mg)
Omega 3, 6, 9 (?mg)
Vitamin D (?mg)
Flaxseed oil (?mg)
Pantothenic acid (B5) (?mg)

These seems to be the most frequently stated supplements people are using, so my question is how many mg of each should I take. The one thing I don't want to do is take more than is healthy as I've read about people getting seriously ill with vitamin overload.

Sorry if this has already been covered in a previously thread but I couldn't find anything and knew there would be a lot of knowledgable ladies here that could help myself, and also others who may have had this question too :)

Oh, and please add to this list if there's anything I've missed off.

TIA
Cairo
x

• Vitamin B-complex - 50 mg. of the major B-vitamins (including folate, biotin and inositol)
  • Vitamin B-6 - 50 mg. of vitamin B-6
  • Vitamin C with bioflavonoids - one to two grams daily
  • Vitamin E - 400 to 800 IU daily
  • Beta-Carotene - 10,000 to 15,000 IU of beta-carotene daily
  • One recommended daily dose of magnesium, sulfur, zinc
  • Silica (horsetail) - 300 mg. daily
  • Nettle - 250 mg. three times daily
  • Flaxseed oil - one tbsp daily or one tablet

lovely_locks

I am just going to add my two cents. I'm not sure if this is true for all but I use to take all my vitamins (mutli vitmamin pack, biotin, prenatals, and flaxseed) either once I wake up, or before bed, and realised that I got so sick to my stomach. So, I started taking them after breakfast or dinner, and felt so much better! So I'm not sure if it's proper to take them on a full stomach but thats how I take them.

Nonie

• Vitamin B-complex - 50 mg. of the major B-vitamins (including folate, biotin and inositol)
  • Vitamin B-6 - 50 mg. of vitamin B-6
  • Vitamin C with bioflavonoids - one to two grams daily
  • Vitamin E - 400 to 800 IU daily
  • One recommended daily dose of magnesium, sulfur, zinc
  • Silica (horsetail) - 300 mg. daily
  • Nettle - 250 mg. three times daily
  • Flaxseed oil - one tbsp daily or one tablet

1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil is equivalent to about 10-15 capsules of the same. So that should read "one tbsp daily or 15 capsules of flaxseed".

bimtheduck

Co-signing Nonie:Hi, I am a registered and licensed dietitian and nutritionist in FL. I think you can taper this list a bit by understanding a few things:B-complex has all your b vitamins (folic acid, riboflavin, thamin, niacin, biotin, pantothenic acid B6 and B12).....These are water soluble and whatever the body needs it takes and will excrete the rest (bright yellow urine).....Many feel like extra biotin helps with hair growth and swear by it....You can take an extra biotin supplement, but you WILL excrete whatever the body is not using...However, with this, you won't need to take any extra of the above vitamins in a single dose. The same goes for Vitamin C...its water soluble and toxic in high levels......Eating lean meats, fish, organ meats like liver and Milk will get you plenty of B vitamins...I have found B complex useful for energy (as they accelerate the energy-producing reactions in the body)...but not for more than a week or so...or I get nauseated. Of course plenty of melon fruits, citrus fruits help also. .......Over 90% of the population is Vitamin D deficient so I do recommend a single dose of Vitamin D. I recommend 1000IU.......If you're taking Flaxseed Oil there is no need for extra omega 3 as it has Omega 3 in it. Omega 3 and 6 (especially 3) is good for the heart. If you eat fish 1-2 times a week, you really don't need to overdo the other Omega 3 and 6. I do not recommend liquid/ or capsules Omega 3 or Omega 6 fatty acid substances because its hard to tell what ratio the Omega 3 to 6 is and in most cases you are not getting what you are buying. In many cases the version you get is not always guaranteed to be pure and can have hazardous chemicals in it (albiet in small amounts) which is risky at best. Eating tree nuts such as walnuts, pecans and cashews a few times a week along with the fish 1-2 times a week can get you a healthy amount of Omega 3 and 6 vitamins in your diet.L-cysteine is an amino acid. Eat brown rice and legumes for amino acids (aka proteins)...other plant-based proteins such as tofu, whole wheat, bulgur, etc, contributes some of this amino acid to the diet. .......The other supplements are not proven by the FDA to be safe or do what they are promoted to do....Black Cohash, evening primrose oil, Saw palmetto, etc, etc I do not even purchase. These and really all vitamins, minerals have active compounds that can affect the body's chemistry in different ways, and have no guarantee to get the results they promote. I know many ladies swear by certain supplements and I am not knocking it, but as a nutritionist they are not NECESSARY....what is recommended right now is a balanced diet that includes all food groups in adequate amounts, a multivitamin, and additional vitamin D (new research)......Starting with a multivitamin is a great way to complement what is supposed to be a balanced and complete diet.....I hope this helps.....! remember that hair growth rates are determined by genetics.......Additional vitamins, oils, etc work for some but not all....and have different results......Be well!

I'm glad you said it! I'm a dietitan as well and when ever people ask me this I feel as if im stepping up onto my huge soap box. I'm always . Glad to know I'm not the only one pushing the importance of a balanced diet with whole foods and not vitamins and supplemnts on this forum.

cairopiper

Thanks ladies for all your advice, very much appreciated. I shall start researching a really good multivitamin shortly.

Cairo
x

ladylibra_30

OP, your questions may have been answered and then some but I didn't read the replies.

The recommended doses/quantities are listed on the vitamin bottles. Of course some tweaking (i.e. upping Biotin and MSM) can be done once you get comfortable.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Also I add my vites one at a time, according to my needs. I don't take them just to take them. I started with a multi, I added Biotin for growth (over a year and still working for me) a B-complex for energy, EFA's because my skin was dry, magnesium has helped me with body odor and menstrual cramps (hey! just being honest). My eyesight has also improved. I am a new vegetarian and I am currently trying to replace my vitamins with food. ie more hemp/flax so I don't need EFA capsules. The key is also consistency!

Hth!