Komaza Care HAIR ANALYSIS Service - Rave!

Ogoma

[This is really long and I am sitting on a bus to the airport so bear with me with regards to grammar or errors. ]

I had a call with Jennifer this afternoon. Overall, she said my hair is pretty quite healthy. She had to go through a number of strands to find something wrong and she kept re-checking because she didn't want to miss anything. We went through the slides and she showed a few slides with healthy hair, a fairy knot, and some with the issues mentioned below. She mentioned my follicles were long, which indicated the hair was shedding at the right time and I was not experiencing any premature shedding. She liked that I exercised and the supplements I am taking (B-complex, MSM, and vit D and iron to deal with deficiencies). She didn't know much about Viviscal, but I asked her if there was any difference between hair closer to my roots than the ones closer to my ends that was not due to regular wear and tear, and she said no. I was planning on stopping after my last packet runs out so I will continue with that plan. We talked about my diet (I am pescatarian).

Hair properties: I sent my hair to be tested last August using the Live Curly, Live Free service. It came back low porosity, medium-coarse texture with normal elasticity. Jen said my hair is normal porosity, medium-fine texture with normal elasticity. As I mentioned to her repeatedly :lol:, all the decisions I had made were based on what I thought my hair properties are so I don't know what to do going forward. She said I should keep doing what I am doing as it is working. I told her how I compared my strand size to a thread and they were far off. My hair in the back is finer so I am wondering if she got more of those strands. In 3 months time, I will send strands from different parts of my hair labeled and separated so she can take a look.

As for porosity, she said rotating so many products can change the pH of the hair and that can lead to a change in porosity. I had collected strands from a wash session using Terressentials so she is going to do some research on the ingredients and get back to me on how the pH of the hair is impacted with this product. She kept stressing that normal porosity was a good thing and my hair is actually quite strong and not fragile so I didn't have anything to worry about with regards to that. I mentioned my issues with protein (drying), henna (drying), Shea Butter, heavy butters, all oils, etc. She said my hair does not need protein and probably does not like heavy butters and oils, but prefers conditioning agents. She said this was not only an issue for those with low porosity and normal porosity heads, depending on the texture, can experience the same thing.

If it is normal porosity, I am happy. I am just scared it might be a fluke and then I get complacent and have a set back. She also said my hair is 3c/4a. I always thought it was 4a/b so not far off and while it is fun to know my curl pattern, it is ultimately useless information to me.

On to the bad: I am due for a quarter of an inch trim. She found some splits and fraying hair on the last quarter inch. I last trimmed in April by snipping off the tip of my twists so I knew I was due for a trim. I may get about half an inch trimmed in the salon in the coming weeks. I might as well get a good trim in. She found some weak spots on a few strands. She said there were caused by my leaving my hair wet all day. I told her my hair takes forever to dry and she thought I was probably using too much product at once. I normally use just a leave-in or a gel on my edges or for WnG and she said the number of products used was fine, the amount I am using might be the problem. We discussed my almost daily co-washing and she suggested I rinse out my hair with water rather than use conditioners every day. She said I didn't need a protein treatment. She is nothing I should be concerned about, but to modify my behavior so it doesn't get worse and my hair gets weaker and breaks.

Going forward: She didn't not see any buildup on the strands or any indication there was a problem with my scalp, but she recommended I re-introduce regular shampoo. I might shampoo 1x ever 8 weeks and keep on with the mudwash and co-washing during the interim period. I will alternate between using conditioner and just using water after my workouts. I will work out less in the winter so I will co-wash less then too. I am also going to test out using a conditioner and then just sealing once I step out of the shower, rather than using a conditioner, rinsing that out, then using a leave-in conditioner. I can see now how that might create problems. Eventually, I will move to cheaper co-washers with less of a moisture punch.

I still don't know why I have problems with protein. If my texture is not coarse and I am not low porosity, why does my hair rebel so much with protein. Hopefully, things will become clearer in three months.

coyacoy

Thanks for the update Ogoma....your analysis results along with the other ladies have helped me to think of several questions i would like to ask during my 3 mo follow up call! Congrats on the positive news!!! :)

faithVA

^You had a great analysis. I am low porosity and tashboog is normal porosity and our hair acts pretty much the same when it comes to dryness, products and many other things. There are some differences but we share a lot of the same patterns.

Why doesn't your hair like protein? Your hair is healthy and strong which means everything is pretty much in balance. It hasn't been destroyed by chemicals, heat or tools. So what do you want it to do with the extra protein you are trying to give it when all of its protein is intact? Just asking :lol:

Thanks for sharing. Each analysis is so unique.

Ogoma

faithVA said:
^You had a great analysis. I am low porosity and tashboog is normal porosity and our hair acts pretty much the same when it comes to dryness, products and many other things. There are some differences but we share a lot of the same patterns.

Why doesn't your hair like protein? Your hair is healthy and strong which means everything is pretty much in balance. It hasn't been destroyed by chemicals, heat or tools. So what do you want it to do with the extra protein you are trying to give it when all of its protein is intact? Just asking :lol:

Thanks for sharing. Each analysis is so unique.

I don't know :lol:. I just feel like protein should be part of my regimen.

Hisbeloved

Hisbeloved & faithVA: did she say anything about using baking soda on low porosity hair?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
mg1979 I didn't ask her about baking soda and neither did she mention it. She just kept saying that the conditioner needed to stay on for a long time to get into the shaft. I deep conditioned for an hour last week and noticed a difference in the way my hair felt. I also finally got my 3rd follow up call. She said they had been bombarded with analysis so it took a while. She recommended that I protein weekly the front but not to get it on the back and make sure I deep condition well. While I'm doing my protein to the front, I just put a moistrizing conditioner on the back to act as a barrier. Although some of the damage is all the way up the shaft, she don't recommend I big chop. She said that the based off the sample, the damage is 10% or less and the other 90% is really healthy. I told her that I had my hair cut one week after the initial analysis and she thought that was fine. She also recommended Hair Essentials supplements from naturalwellbeing.com because it looked as though there were some degredation of the follicles in the front. They are pretty expensive but I'll give it a try. So, with all that being said, the plan is to protein treat, deep moisturize condition, take supplements and we'll see what the 3 month analysis shows before we decide to cut again. I am so glad I did this analysis. I cried too when I first got my bad news but now I feel empowered to make the right choices to get that mane I've been desiring. This was so worth it.

faithVA

@mg1979 I didn't ask her about baking soda and neither did she mention it. She just kept saying that the conditioner needed to stay on for a long time to get into the shaft. I deep conditioned for an hour last week and noticed a difference in the way my hair felt. I also finally got my 3rd follow up call. She said they had been bombarded with analysis so it took a while. She recommended that I protein weekly the front but not to get it on the back and make sure I deep condition well. While I'm doing my protein to the front, I just put a moistrizing conditioner on the back to act as a barrier. Although some of the damage is all the way up the shaft, she don't recommend I big chop. She said that the based off the sample, the damage is 10% or less and the other 90% is really healthy. I told her that I had my hair cut one week after the initial analysis and she thought that was fine. She also recommended Hair Essentials supplements from naturalwellbeing.com because it looked as though there were some degredation of the follicles in the front. They are pretty expensive but I'll give it a try. So, with all that being said, the plan is to protein treat, deep moisturize condition, take supplements and we'll see what the 3 month analysis shows before we decide to cut again. I am so glad I did this analysis. I cried too when I first got my bad news but now I feel empowered to make the right choices to get that mane I've been desiring. This was so worth it.

I'm glad you didn't have to cut the front. Also glad that you have a good plan to move forward. I agree with the news feeling bad at first but feeling empowered later. There is something freeing about knowing vs. guessing. Looking forward to your 3 months review.

coyacoy

@coyacoy and others, could you do an updated review of Komaza products here, preteeplease? Thanks.

@virtuenow....sure, here's an update:

Komaza products I continue to use:
  • Maltani leave in - very lighweight - perfect for the summertime. a great detangler too. i typically use this on damp hair and follow with a heavy sealer like a pomade or sometimes JBCO. i probably won't use this one during the winter months
  • Maltani strengthener - a nice light to medium protein boost best used after wash and condish. spray this on damp hair and leave in. i usually follow with a light or no protein leave in moisturizer after this one and I don't use it if i'm using a med-heavy protein condish
  • Califia spray - excellent refresher adding much needed moisture during the dry months especially when i've been wearing a bun or the same PS style for a couple of days. my hair is fine and clumps up easily - this spray really helps to loosen my hair up w/o causing a lot of shrinkage. Helps to give a little volume to an old twist out as well. although i use this year round on dry hair, i use it less frequently during the summer - just don't seem to need it as much, not sure why
  • Olive moisture mask - love this DC. very moisturizing and smells great. i originally started purchasing as a cheaper alternative to My Honey Child's Olive you because I find that it is too expensive for the amount you get. Komaza's olive moisture mask is hydrating and much more reasonably priced. I typically use this after the protein strengthener.
  • Protein strengthener - LOVE!! great mix of all natural proteins. i spray on damp hair then sit under a dryer for 20 mins or until hard. Follow up with Komaza's Olive Mask - :lick:
  • Califia and Moku leave ins - I like these well enough - mostly I use on dry hair. they aren't very moisturizing on my hair when damp or freshly washed. They are on the thin side re: consistency which works well when hair is dry in my case. I do plan to ask Rene during my 3 mo follow up whether she recommend i use a thick or thin leave in though.
  • Moku shampoo - does what it says....cleanses w/o drying. i don't use this every wash typically right before a henna gloss.
  • Other products I've used, but don't continue to
  • Vitamin Reign - great substitution for a water based spray -does not cause a lot of shrinkage, which is great in my case. I would still be using had it not been for Rene recommending that I stop given that I was already using the Califia spray. DH loves it
  • Jojoba Hemp -did not like at all - left my hair dry feeling and a little hard. Tried a couple of different ways too. Glad I only purchased the sample size of that one
:grin:

Last edited:

CrueltyFree

Wow this thread has really blown up since I was last here. Thanks to those that have used my code :yep: I definitely plan to get hair analysis in the near future. I've had some concerns about excessive shedding and hair growth. I'm in puffy twists right now and I planned to keep them in for a few (well, 4 or 5) more weeks, for a total of 2 months. So I'm anxiously and excitedly waiting for the end of September

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

faithVA

I guess this is my 30 day update. This update is 30 days from my analysis and not from my cut.

My hair is growing. Can't tell how much but I can twist it whereas I could not when I first cut. I have a lot of SSKs probaby because I am using the circular motion on my hair every day to get that texturized look. But my ends feel much better with SSKs than they did with the damage ends. I wasn't sure I would be able to tell the difference but I can. I still need to trim 1/2" off later but will wait a few months. Still trying to learn how to properly moisturize my hair. It is still a learning curve.

coyacoy

coyacoy said:
@virtuenow....sure, here's an update:

Komaza products I continue to use:

[*]Maltani leave in - very lighweight - perfect for the summertime. a great detangler too. i typically use this on damp hair and follow with a heavy sealer like a pomade or sometimes JBCO. i probably won't use this one during the winter months
[*]Maltani strengthener - a nice light to medium protein boost best used after wash and condish. spray this on damp hair and leave in. i usually follow with a light or no protein leave in moisturizer after this one and I don't use it if i'm using a med-heavy protein condish
[*]Califia spray - excellent refresher adding much needed moisture during the dry months especially when i've been wearing a bun or the same PS style for a couple of days. my hair is fine and clumps up easily - this spray really helps to loosen my hair up w/o causing a lot of shrinkage. Helps to give a little volume to an old twist out as well. although i use this year round on dry hair, i use it less frequently during the summer - just don't seem to need it as much, not sure why
[*]Olive moisture mask - love this DC. very moisturizing and smells great. i originally started purchasing as a cheaper alternative to My Honey Child's Olive you because I find that it is too expensive for the amount you get. Komaza's olive moisture mask is hydrating and much more reasonably priced. I typically use this after the protein strengthener.
[*]Protein strengthener - LOVE!! great mix of all natural proteins. i spray on damp hair then sit under a dryer for 20 mins or until hard. Follow up with Komaza's Olive Mask - :lick:
[*]Califia and Moku leave ins - I like these well enough - mostly I use on dry hair. they aren't very moisturizing on my hair when damp or freshly washed. They are on the thin side re: consistency which works well when hair is dry in my case. I do plan to ask Rene during my 3 mo follow up whether she recommend i use a thick or thin leave in though.
[*]Moku shampoo - does what it says....cleanses w/o drying. i don't use this every wash typically right before a henna gloss.
[*]Other products I've used, but don't continue to
[*]Vitamin Reign - great substitution for a water based spray -does not cause a lot of shrinkage, which is great in my case. I would still be using had it not been for Rene recommending that I stop given that I was already using the Califia spray. DH loves it
[*]Jojoba Hemp -did not like at all - left my hair dry feeling and a little hard. Tried a couple of different ways too. Glad I only purchased the sample size of that one
:grin:

I should add that i don't have plans to repurchase the shampoo or leave ins (other than the maltani one). I might revisit them in the distant future but i have several other shampoos and leave ins in my arsenal now to try out :)

.:Eden:.

Does anyone know when they'll open up the analysis requests?

I know they've been backed up with a lot of orders, but did they say how backed up they are?

I've been waiting anxiously to order ^_^

coyacoy

.:Eden:. said:
Does anyone know when they'll open up the analysis requests?

I know they've been backed up with a lot of orders, but did they say how backed up they are?

I've been waiting anxiously to order ^_^

Eden....i don't know but you can email them and probably find out that way....hth :)

LaidBak

7:52 pm and no call. Got their voicemail when I called them. *sigh*
eta: on the phone now!! yay!

Last edited:

yodie

I'm still on vacation. Mom cut my split ends. One side is a little short, so we didn't trim much. The humidity here is a beast and my hair just SHRINKS like crazy. I went to mom's hair stylist. UGH! I now think that was a mistake. I'm not afraid to use heat, but too much heat isn't good. Long story short, the sylist used heat protectant when she flat ironed/curled. My ends (in one section) feel rough. This could be from damage (I pray not), because she didn't get them throughly straightened, or because my hair frizzed soon after she straightened it.

I live in LA. We don't have humidity. So, I opted to wear a scarf and tie it in a knot in the back versus flat ironing every other day, wearing rollers, etc., only to have it frizz back up. Against my wishes, I picked up an inexpensive, curly wig from the BSS, had mom cut it and I'm wearing that until I can get back to LA and give my hair the TLC, minus extreme heat, that it needs.

LaidBak

11 images revealed 2 healthy follicles (roots bulbs), two strands of perfectly healthy hair, two instances of frayed ends, two instances of heat damage in the form of what I think you guys call mid strand splits, and two instances of raised cuticles.

She recommended ACV rinses, protein treatments every two weeks, increased H2O intake, silicone serums, a 1/2 inch trim, sealing of the ends with oil, and the use of a creamy or lotion like leave in on wash days.
She said their Matani line would be perfect for my hair. She'll call me in 3 weeks to follow up.
That phone call was well worth the wait!

Last edited:

LaidBak

Trying to upload the images, but I keep getting an error. I'll come back to this post later and see if I can get them to upload.
ETA: Still can't upload. :-( Opened a ticket #QFP-857-82156

Last edited:

LaidBak

coyacoy said:
LaidBak.....you received great recommendations!!! Congrats :)

Indeed! I thought my hair was going to be in much worse condition. But everything that was wrong had a logical explanation and a doable solution. Not sure how I feel about ACV though. Vinegar stinks and I am VERY picky when it comes to how my hair smells. There has to be some other way to deal with high porosity. I had been using Roux PC, but I stopped being consistent with it. I do NOT want to smell like vinegar coming out the shower.

faithVA

Indeed! I thought my hair was going to be in much worse condition. But everything that was wrong had a logical explanation and a doable solution. Not sure how I feel about ACV though. Vinegar stinks and I am VERY picky when it comes to how my hair smells. There has to be some other way to deal with high porosity. I had been using Roux PC, but I stopped being consistent with it. I do NOT want to smell like vinegar coming out the shower.

The smell doesn't linger long. When you dilute it, it should be pretty faint. And by the time you apply your leave-in, you shouldn't smell it at all.

But if ACV isn't doable, I am sure you can do the Roux Porosity control. The ACV will just last you longer.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I think I am now ready to share my experience. Out of the 23 slides I received for my hair, only three were of healthy strands...

The rest showed holes, wearing of my cuticle, frayed ends, weak spots, and the break down of protein.This is why my hair is not holding moisture well. It is my fault. I suffered major mechanical damage from the person who did my last trim and I destroyed my hair by getting bleach and permanent color. The permanent color and bleach aren't necessarily to blame-- I did not immediately begin a protein enriched regimen following this procedure. I was also using the wrong protein--GPB was not helping me. I needed hydrolyzed protein--there is a difference.

I am told that the damage is at least 4-5" up the strand. I am to use a protein heavy conditioner twice a month. (She saw that I was so distraught and offered to send me a sample of their protein filler.) I am to trim at least 1" immediately, but remain on a consistent trimming schedule until I get rid of all the damaged hair. My hair is actually more medium/fine than coarse, and I should adjust my products accordingly. This would probably explain why my hair is usually dry when I use a butter or heavy oil. (However, before the color, my hair responded well to Qhemet Biologics Heavy Cream. Don't know if the change in my texture has to do with the breakdown of protein.)

There was a cool picture of my hair with an extremely healthy bulb on the end. She said she wanted to use it in a presentation she would be giving soon. She also said that it meant that the blood was flowing really well in my scalp and that my bulbs were ready to receive nutrients from rich foods and a hair vitamin.

When I called the beautician in GA (who is so much better at handling my hair--yes, I'm willing to drive to another state, lol), I had just cried myself to oblivion. Scheduled a mini chop of sorts, but I think I will get some shaping done. I will stay with my dad for the weekend, so it's no big deal to drive to GA. I scheduled it for the 29th of September.

On a short note, I notice some improvement today when I moisturized my hair and sealed with a lighter oil--olive oil. My hair is soft to the touch. I used a Curl Junkie product-Curl Rehab--to moisturize. I'm actually starting to get a little excited about the cut--I found a really cute one that I like...

She (as in Rene, been typing so much I forgot to say who I talked to) told me that I should see major improvement in 4 months. I really hope so...

faithVA

I think I am now ready to share my experience. Out of the 23 slides I received for my hair, only three were of healthy strands...

The rest showed holes, wearing of my cuticle, frayed ends, weak spots, and the break down of protein.This is why my hair is not holding moisture well. It is my fault. I suffered major mechanical damage from the person who did my last trim and I destroyed my hair by getting bleach and permanent color. The permanent color and bleach aren't necessarily to blame-- I did not immediately begin a protein enriched regimen following this procedure. I was also using the wrong protein--GPB was not helping me. I needed hydrolyzed protein--there is a difference.

I am told that the damage is at least 4-5" up the strand. I am to use a protein heavy conditioner twice a month. (She saw that I was so distraught and offered to send me a sample of their protein filler.) I am to trim at least 1" immediately, but remain on a consistent trimming schedule until I get rid of all the damaged hair. My hair is actually more medium/fine than coarse, and I should adjust my products accordingly. This would probably explain why my hair is usually dry when I use a butter or heavy oil. (However, before the color, my hair responded well to Qhemet Biologics Heavy Cream. Don't know if the change in my texture has to do with the breakdown of protein.)

There was a cool picture of my hair with an extremely healthy bulb on the end. She said she wanted to use it in a presentation she would be giving soon. She also said that it meant that the blood was flowing really well in my scalp and that my bulbs were ready to receive nutrients from rich foods and a hair vitamin.

When I called the beautician in GA (who is so much better at handling my hair--yes, I'm willing to drive to another state, lol), I had just cried myself to oblivion. Scheduled a mini chop of sorts, but I think I will get some shaping done. I will stay with my dad for the weekend, so it's no big deal to drive to GA. I scheduled it for the 29th of September.

On a short note, I notice some improvement today when I moisturized my hair and sealed with a lighter oil--olive oil. My hair is soft to the touch. I used a Curl Junkie product-Curl Rehab--to moisturize. I'm actually starting to get a little excited about the cut--I found a really cute one that I like...

She (as in Rene, been typing so much I forgot to say who I talked to) told me that I should see major improvement in 4 months. I really hope so...

I am glad you took the time for yourself to process the information the way you needed to. I'm sorry that the news was so disheartening. But I'm glad that you received a lot of answers as well as a plan to work for the next few months. I know that getting rid of 4 to 5 inches is tough but at least you don't have to do it all at once. I do think that you will notice a difference. :bighug:

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
faithVA, thanks for the e-hug! She did say that it would be better to do it at once, but if I couldn't handle it, I could do the protein treatments and cut slowly.

I can't handle it.... :nono: So I devised a plan that fit my needs...

LaidBak

The smell doesn't linger long. When you dilute it, it should be pretty faint. And by the time you apply your leave-in, you shouldn't smell it at all.

But if ACV isn't doable, I am sure you can do the Roux Porosity control. The ACV will just last you longer.

I have been using Roux PC for years. I'm just not positive I used it that particular day. I told her about it, and read the ingredients to her. She is going to look into it and evaluate it.
I'm going to stick with PC, then test the pH of the various leave ins I use to ensure I'm not undoing the low pH by applying something with a higher pH.

Onhergrind09

I had my 3 week follow-up with Jenn today and I learned a few notable things:

1) I'm growing back in my edges using my own modified mixture + HTGE + 1 tsp heaping sulphur and I wanted more information on what else I should be doing. Specifically I asked her if the product I was using was fine, how long I should be massaging my scalp and for any other tips that I could use. She said that my product was fine and told me that to me effective I only needed to massage my scalp for one minute a day. Also she suggested that that I law down on the side of my bed with my head hanging off (head upside down) so that the blood would rush there, which is something I've never thought to do before.

2) I asked her how often I should be washing with shampoo she said at least once a week.

3) She pointed out the difference between a protein treatment and a protein deep conditioner. A Protein TREATMENT (pure protein) ALWAYS needs to be followed by a Moisturizing DC but after a Protein DC I don't need to follow it with anything.

4) She suggested that instead of cowashing or water rinsing my hair since I'm working out 3-4 times a week (I sweat a lot in my scalp) that I rinse my hair then follow with an ACV rinse which b/c of smell I've never been a huge fan of but I'll prob try it out since she suggested that it would aid in the overall manageability of my hair. Then follow-up with my leave-in.

5) Side bar, she was telling me that as a result of all the hair analysis's (is that a word?) that they've been doing and the feedback we've been giving them they are brainstorming ideas for new products. I think that's super exciting cause that means all of us are a part of that which I think is very cool :).

faithVA

I had my 3 week follow-up with Jenn today and I learned a few notable things:

1) I'm growing back in my edges using my own modified mixture + HTGE + 1 tsp heaping sulphur and I wanted more information on what else I should be doing. Specifically I asked her if the product I was using was fine, how long I should be massaging my scalp and for any other tips that I could use. She said that my product was fine and told me that to me effective I only needed to massage my scalp for one minute a day. Also she suggested that that I law down on the side of my bed with my head hanging off (head upside down) so that the blood would rush there, which is something I've never thought to do before.

2) I asked her how often I should be washing with shampoo she said at least once a week.

3) She pointed out the difference between a protein treatment and a protein deep conditioner. A Protein TREATMENT (pure protein) ALWAYS needs to be followed by a Moisturizing DC but after a Protein DC I don't need to follow it with anything.

4) She suggested that instead of cowashing or water rinsing my hair since I'm working out 3-4 times a week (I sweat a lot in my scalp) that I rinse my hair then follow with an ACV rinse which b/c of smell I've never been a huge fan of but I'll prob try it out since she suggested that it would aid in the overall manageability of my hair. Then follow-up with my leave-in.

5) Side bar, she was telling me that as a result of all the hair analysis's (is that a word?) that they've been doing and the feedback we've been giving them they are brainstorming ideas for new products. I think that's super exciting cause that means all of us are a part of that which I think is very cool :).

Very nice! I can't wait for the 3 month follow ups. :yay: