Korean Beauty Supply Owner Calls Cops On Activists Directing Customers To Black Business

Harina

Korean Beauty Supply Owner Calls Cops On Activists Directing Customers To Black Business

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2015...ivists-directing-customers-to-black-business/

It’s not enough to simply tell people to support black businesses. That’s why the Waxahachie Study Group, an organization of demonstrators in Texas inspired by the call of Minister Louis Farrakhan and the Justice or Else Movement decided to actually get out in the streets and direct consumers to black businesses and away from other stores they’d typically patronize.

That demonstration didn’t sit so well with a Korean beauty supply owner, however, who not only told one of the organizers what they were doing wasn’t right, but proceeded to call the cops on them. Here’s how the exchange developed:

Beauty supply owner: Why are you only doing this here? We did something wrong?

Demonstrator: No, we didn’t say you did anything wrong. We’re trying to enlighten our people and let them know that there is a black beauty supply that offers the same services so we are trying to redirect them to shop with their own people first before they shop with someone else.

Beauty supply owner: But I think this is not right.

Demonstrator: You think it’s not right for someone to support their own before they support someone else?

Yes, that’s exactly what the store owner thought, which is why he called an officer to remove the study group from supposedly disrupting his business. Funny enough, this is one instance in which the cops were actually on black folks’ side. When an officer arrived on the scene, the beauty supply owner tried to tell him he owned the entire parking lot, prompting the cop to ask again, “Sir, do you own the parking lot and collect rent from all the businesses?” That answer, obviously, was no, which is why the cop then explained to the business owner, “You pay rent for your one store. That doesn’t give you authority over the sidewalk and the parking lot.”

Translation: Have a seat.

Watch the interaction which begins around the four-minute mark. Kudos to the Waxahachie group for standing their ground.

AmethystLily

Cynic on the outside; Dreamer on the inside
Good! I can't say I feel much sympathy for the Korean owner due to the fact that many of these same owners are the ones reportedly treating Black people (and in some cases White people too!) like potential criminals (following around, hostile staring, or rude comments). Am I being prejudiced as well? Perhaps, but it doesn't make sense to buy from a store where you're not respected. What's sad is that they've managed to monopolize on the industry in many areas and people feel that those stores are the only affordable option (anywhere else is "too expensive," "too far away," etc.).