Ladies BSL and longer, don't be modest, do you....

wish4length

Give advice knowing people are going to listen to you simply because your hair is BSL, MBL, or WL?
I ask because I notice when there is a new feature of the month up I read over her regimen thinking "I might have to try that". We all know sometimes advice gets ignored because the person giving it has EL, or SL hair, but are you BSL and longer ladies confident that people will listen to your advice simply because of your length?

Jewell

I don't give advice just b/c of my length, nor do I solicit it solely or largely based on hair length. There is long, ratty, damaged hair out there. Also, ppl with long hair don't necessarily have healthy hair habits. So, I just go by the HEALTH of the hair. If it's long AND healthy, then that's all the better. I don't think ppl's advice should be ignored simply b/c they have what might be considered short hair. It may just be that they prefer to keep it cut short. Just my position on the soap box! lol

I only give advice if ppl ask. If they ask, they must be interested for some reason, either length, health, or both. I don't like unsolicited advice on certain subjects, so I treat others as I prefer to be treated.

Auburn

Ive seen chewed up ends on a WL person (that is highly praised) that made me not want to listen anymore.

...is that wrong? :perplexed

Looked good from a far ...but close up? :ohwell:
Theres a such thing as long and unhealthy.

I just listen to WISE advice..regardless of the length.

wish4length

I don't give advice just b/c of my length, nor do I solicit it solely or largely based on hair length. There is long, ratty, damaged hair out there. Also, ppl with long hair don't necessarily have healthy hair habits. So, I just go by the HEALTH of the hair. If it's long AND healthy, then that's all the better. I don't think ppl's advice should be ignored simply b/c they have what might be considered short hair. It may just be that they prefer to keep it cut short. Just my position on the soap box! lol

I only give advice if ppl ask. If they ask, they must be interested for some reason, either length, health, or both. I don't like unsolicited advice on certain subjects, so I treat others as I prefer to be treated.

I agree. I remember reading a past thread about women who felt having shorter hair sometimes meant their comments/advice would be ignored.
I was just wondering if anyone with BSL or longer was ever aware of someone hanging on to their every word about hair advice online or face to face....

Janet'

I listen to advice when it's given from someone with healthy hair...short or long...

Hersheygurl

I rarely give advice and only comment on thread topics I can relate to. However, I welcome tips from all of my LHCF sisters, no matter what length their hair is.

I have gotten some of the best tips or product recommendations from ladies whose hair may not be considered " long". I admire the shine, healthy ends, and overall condition of the person's hair, as opposed to only the length.

I love to see others' progress pics too and will " thank" a person for posting shoulder length pics just as quickly as I would someone who made it to WSL. Every inch should celebrated.

NikkiGirl

I rarely give advice. I don't really consider myself any kind of expert. I just do my best with the tips and knowledge I find here. However, if there is a topic I can really relate to I will give an opinion or offer my experiences. And we all started somewhere, so I am willing to take advice from anyone that has healthy hair. Long doesn't necessarily mean healthy all the time.

SimJam

what Janet' said.

that and

1. depending on the advice sought, someone who has similar hair type as I do
2. someone who has shown marked improvement with a particular issue like retention, edges etc.

EllePixie

I'm not BSL+ (yet), but I think this happens! I personally take advice from ladies with pretty/healthy hair, no matter the length, but I have definitely felt ignored before b/c my hair is only NL. And I'm like come on! I just cut it to an inch 8 months ago!! But some people don't see hair past shoulders and don't want to listen to anything you have to say. **Kanyeshrug** their loss...and in a couple of yrs when I reach BSL I won't tell them anything!! :grin:

SingBrina

Give advice knowing people are going to listen to you simply because your hair is BSL, MBL, or WL?
I ask because I notice when there is a new feature of the month up I read over her regimen thinking "I might have to try that". We all know sometimes advice gets ignored because the person giving it has EL, or SL hair, but are you BSL and longer ladies confident that people will listen to your advice simply because of your length?

Sad to say I know I like to follow a person with long healthy hair that gives advice. BUT!!!! The length is not always the #1 thing that draws me to taking the advice... someone could have shoulder length hair and it is thick, and beautiful and WOWWW!!! Or could have APL hair and its just so dang pretty I would love their advice as well.... I go more for the health... then I venture into the length

LunadeMiel

I rarely (most likely never ) give advice. I learned very early in my hair journey that most people won't listen. There's this woman I know who have been neck length for the past 3years. I tried giving her advice when I just found the board and again after I BCd. She just ignores whatever I say. Most people just ignore it anyways :ohwell:

D.Lisha

Well as for me personally....I don't really hand out advice unless it's asked of me. Why might you ask?
Well jst as the OP stated....I normally feel since my hair isn't BSL+..my advice would be easily overlooked (IMHO)

Also..I still consider myself to still be the in "noob"(newbi) stages of my HHJ so of COURSE im not ready to share any advice as of yet..heck, I still have alot of learning to do on my own! lol

Also when it come to my hair advice intake, it doesn't matter the person's length because, as so many other posters have already made clear: "it IZ possible to have LONG and UNhealthy hair" Why would I go around taking advice from someone with unhealthy hair practices...when unhealthy hair practices is what beckoned me to this forum in the first place? The ladies i DO take advice from, have long AND healthy hair (from root to ends), Thickness, and BOMB progress pics to go along with it :)

but hey...that's jst ME