Ladies who are 4a/4b transitioning

theoneandonly

I find it crazy that shops are charging $65 for a shampoo/blowdry and flatiron and people with a perm only pay $40-$45 for a shampoo. I want to go to the beautyshop every week but there is no way i'm paying that every week. When I straighten it at home I cant get it as straight. I went to the hood and paid $35 for a press, not a flat iron, but the lady could not style and she used a lot of grease/wax before pressing. When I go to the other place my hair has body/bounce and is not weighed down. Im finding out that in the hood it is cheaper but in different locations in the city it is $60-$65. Ladies what are your experiences???

iri9109

when i used to go to the dominicans i was relaxed and it was $22 for a wash and set plus $5 if you wanted them to flat iron after they blew it out with the round brush (which was never necessary for me)...for natural hair i think it was $35...this was like early last year...a month ago my friend went to get her hair straightened (she's natural) and she paid $50...i guess thats not that bad but when you consider the price difference between what they charge relaxed and naturals for the same service, its pretty steep. thats why alot of people start learning how to do their hair themselves and invest in high quality flat irons so they can get close to the salon results with practice...and im sure if you went to a "natural" salon, the prices would be higher than $65

LaFemmeNaturelle

MY stylist charges the same price for relaxed or natural which is 40 dollars. I actually paid 36 when I was natural but then she increased her price to 40 dollars. I would never pay more than 40 dollars unless I'm getting color or something. I do my own hair now though I haven't been to my stylist since my last relaxer. But If the salon can get your hair straight, so can you! You just need to work on your technique. What is your technique and what temperature setting do you use? Have you watched diff youtube videos or read the heat straightened naturals thread on here?

theoneandonly

Thanks ladies. Im going to keep trying different things until i get my technique down. I usually use a Fhi flatiron on about 370-400. I have been checking on youtube too. It is way to expensive. I think it is very good to have options we can do at home with natural hair.

iri9109

which fhi do you have? i heard good things about that brand and i want one...even though i NEVER straighten my hair

theoneandonly

which fhi do you have? i heard good things about that brand and i want one...even though i NEVER straighten my hair

Make sure you get the runway/platform. they have an adjustable temp control. I have 2. The big one,I think the 1 1/2" and the smallest one,I think the 1/2". They have good prices on amazon and ebay. Thats where I bought mine. They are too expensive on the Fhi website.

Smiley79

I too am transitioning and am close to 3 months into it. I totally remember those ridiculously high salon prices in my area and how they contributed to my discouragement the last time I tried transitioning. It was cheaper to be a relaxed head! Fortunately for me, I found this really nice Haitian salon in North Miami that welcomes naturals, relaxed heads and transitioners. And to make matters BETTER, she only charges $25 for a wash, treatment, set and trim/cut if needed. The only heat my hair received was under the dryer for the roller set; she then wrapped me and I was on my way. Thas was ideal for me considering I'm always under half wigs for protective styling. Finding her was heaven sent and will hopefully get me closer to my goal this time around. I also do my hair at home as much as possible but will go to her for as needed trims or if I were ever to decide to BC or mini BC.

Slightly OT: What are you all doing to battle your new growth daily? What daily moisture are you using; I'm looking to make my own in a spray bottle using water but I don't know what else to mix with it.

iri9109

Make sure you get the runway/platform. they have an adjustable temp control. I have 2. The big one,I think the 1 1/2" and the smallest one,I think the 1/2". They have good prices on amazon and ebay. Thats where I bought mine. They are too expensive on the Fhi website.

oooh ok thats the main thing i was worried about because i definitely dont want an iron thats stuck @ 400 degrees...thanks! i hear alot of ppl go on folica.com for good flat iron deals too.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
I'm 11 months into my transition and do my own hair. I only straighten maybe twice a month and wear braidouts till I get sick of them. I think technique matters a lot.

When I straighten my hair, I usually do an intense protein treatment and DC using the relaxer method (coat each and every strand of hair), sit under the dryer for close to an hour and rinse off. I either blowdry my hair or airdry in twists or braids. My hair usually comes out okay and my curls come back when I wash.

Westndbeauty has a nice youtube tutorial which shows step by step prep for straightening.

HTH