Ladies who finally have that beautiful long hair...please come in :)

Kn0ttyByNatur3

Well, I have always had long hair, but sometimes it wouldn't be healthy. There were times when I felt like I got my length and health (relaxed) on a 50/50 balance.

But something down the line would always happen and I end up getting damage or major breaking due to relaxers. Then, I cut it off and start on the grow again. :perplexed

BUT NOW THAT MY HAIR IS HEALTHY I AM SOOO HAPPY! Now I can truly enjoy my hair to the fullest. No more major breakage and sometimes sores on my scalp. Letting the relaxers go was the best thing I did for my hair. :look: :lol:

Now I can grow to my heart's content and not worry about losing hair. :grin:

camilla

just past bsl i didnt really notice since im usually in weaves/full lace wigs toying with going natural:perplexed

SmilingElephant

Well....i'll share:)

Before i found LHCF...i was always between SL-APL, when i was about 8 my hair was what i know now as around BSL.

Anyway...i had always wanted hair down my back. But i figured it would never get any longer than SL/APL.

I am so happy i found LHCF...i found it bc i was googling for a good shampoo to use and came across this board. I started following the rules for the LHCF Bootcamp and the, i think it was, the BSL or WL challenge of 2008.

When i discovered co-washing and regular deep conditioning...my hair started growing like a weed! The challenges also helped me become more aware of how much water i was drinking...which wasn't enough:lol: I Had gone from a little above APL to MBL in a year:yep: And then about 6 months from that in 2010 i reached my waist. And when i reached it, it didn't even feel all that long to me!

People would compliment me and :shocked: at my hair and ask to touch it all the time. I'd experience ppl tugging on my ponytail(ppl i knew), asking me how i got it to be so long...ended up giving advice to ppl who wanted to know but didn't wanna put in work...which is actually simple.

I'd have days when i realized how long it was, like when i could make Chinese, Lazy Wrap and attempt Infinity buns and hold them in place with nothing but a hair stick. When i would swim and it would swirl all around me underwater, when i'd accidentally slam it in the door.

I miss those days:)

But i hope to be back where i was by the beginning of next year:D

Bnster

A comment of what Vintagecoilylocks said about now she has longer hair than one of her hair idol.

My hair is not where I want it o be, but I observe the other day, of one of the two teenager daughters of a family friend, that I admired both their lengths, mine was longer than one. I was amazed. Truly amazed and then thought my hair is long. Hers was just above APL, I had wonder if she had just cut. Mine is at BSL, some pieces below the bra.

My goal was BSL so I am at it, but not happy. My next goal is MBL. It takes a while to really recognize that you do have long hair. But I always want my hair to look like the next lady with the longer healthy even ends. I know when I reached APL I wasn't satisfied because it wasn't the image in my mind how I would look like with long hair. I notice my definition of long hair changes during my hair journey in respect to my envision of it on me.

I hope I make sense and others know what I mean.:grin:

SmilingElephant

A comment of what Vintagecoilylocks said about now she has longer hair than one of her hair idol.

My hair is not where I want it o be, but I observe the other day, of one of the two teenager daughters of a family friend, that I admired both their lengths, mine was longer than one. I was amazed. Truly amazed and then thought my hair is long. Hers was just above APL, I had wonder if she had just cut. Mine is at BSL, some pieces below the bra.

My goal was BSL so I am at it, but not happy. My next goal is MBL. It takes a while to really recognize that you do have long hair. But I always want my hair to look like the next lady with the longer healthy even ends. I know when I reached APL I wasn't satisfied because it wasn't the image in my mind how I would look like with long hair. I notice my definition of long hair changes during my hair journey in respect to my envision of it on me.

I hope I make sense and others know what I mean.:grin:

I completely understand! In fact i experienced this feeling on the bus today. My hair isnt where i want it to be....so in my mind, my hair isn't long...but i was sitting behind this lady whose hair was about the same length as mine when it's straightened...about half an inch or so from BSL...and i was like "Woah:blush:...my hair really is long!

But i think its bc a lot of us have goals in our minds that we won't be happy til we reach them...and even then, we aren't satisfied:lol:

Idk...i think the longest imma go is HL:rolleyes::grin:

caribeandiva

Human being
When I BCed in Sep. 2010 I had no idea what to expect? Would I like my hair texture? Would it grow back fast? Would I look like a man since I'm tall? Well I loooove my hair texture and basically wore my hair in a twa or twistouts after the bc. Well I went to the salon for the first time after my BC 2 weeks ago to get it flatironed and colored. My poor stylist (who's cuban btw) wrestled with all those knots, and finally blew dry my hair.

When she started flatironing it she was shocked at how long my hair was. Frankly so was I because I haven't really straightened it properly since I cut it. It's a little below SL! Is that considered full SL or collarbone length? Anyway, walking home the wind was blowing my hair in all the right ways and I felt like a supermodel. Heck guys keep telling me how much they love my hair. I'm in hair heaven. lol...

IMFOCSD

When I BCed in Sep. 2010 I had no idea what to expect? Would I like my hair texture? Would it grow back fast? Would I look like a man since I'm tall? Well I loooove my hair texture and basically wore my hair in a twa or twistouts after the bc. Well I went to the salon for the first time after my BC 2 weeks ago to get it flatironed and colored. My poor stylist (who's cuban btw) wrestled with all those knots, and finally blew dry my hair.

When she started flatironing it she was shocked at how long my hair was. Frankly so was I because I haven't really straightened it properly since I cut it. It's a little below SL! Is that considered full SL or collarbone length? Anyway, walking home the wind was blowing my hair in all the right ways and I felt like a supermodel. Heck guys keep telling me how much they love my hair. I'm in hair heaven. lol...

Great post! :)

anyone else wanna share..

caribeandiva

Human being
I must also add, all of my ex-"friends",who doubted me and talked smack behind my back all because I said I was growing my hair long, just stared and stared at the back of my head. I could feel them burning a hole through my head. You see I sat a few rows in front of them for Easter mass. I wish I took a picture at the look on their faces when they saw me turn around. lol... Success is the best revenge.

SEMO

Well, I'll go ahead and share my hair journey. I was relaxed before finding LHCF and had tried a few times on my own to go natural. But I was never sure what to do with my hair and would end up relaxing again. I lurked for awhile after finding the forum, but the desire to interact and ask questions helped pull me in.

I also decided to give it another go at being natural. My hair was pretty healthy when I relaxed (looking back I was an unintentional "stretcher" and would only relax 2-3 times a year). However, the longest my hair was while relaxed was shoulder length.

To this day, I think going natural was the best hair decision I could have made. I enjoy (most days) caring for my hair and knowing what's going on with it (whether a product or technique is working for me or not).

Currently, I'm a little past waist length (I don't really have an up-to-date picture). Do I feel my hair is long? Not on most days. I have shrinkage like you wouldn't believe and my hair shrinks to above shoulder length when dry. So it's only when I flat iron my hair (which I only do a couple times a year) that it really sets in what length my hair is. And mostly it's b/c of other people's reaction to my hair. Because my hair doesn't really look long to me even in the pics posted below (even though objectively I know it's maybe a bit longer than average).

However, it's still nice to be able to pull out a flat iron from time to time and change things up. Even people who have seen my hair straight before seem shocked each time (I kinda am too). I think if my hair were straightened more often I'd have a better idea of what it's like to live with long hair (if that makes sense). But I like my hair better curly than straight. So that's how I wear my hair probably 355 days out of the year. :yep:

Here are some pics (sorry in advance that the "current" pic is out-of-date):

My relaxed hair from back in the day

A pic of my straight hair from July 2011 (I really need to straighten soon and take some updated pics - I guesstimate that my hair is maybe 3-4 inches longer now)

A curly hair pic from December (I have conditioner in my hair, but I don't have a more recent pic - I really need to take new pics and update my fotki)

BlackHairDiva

When initially started I wanted to grow hair APL. Well, when I was pass my shoulders I was happy because it was a sign that I was doing something right. Then, When I reached APL it seemed like my hair was not that long. So BSL was the next goal.

From APL to BSL it felt for ever..Heck how many " It's the pits being stuck at APL" did I do. :nono: I discovered , I was doing everything right but I could benefit from better tools.

BSL... Well its nice. I actually feel like my hair is starting to be long. Some sides of the hair is started the creep BSL. I love it. I can see it and feel it...i might make it this year to my ultimate goal. MBL:yep:..MBL all around.

Please share your experience....when you noticed that you finally reached that unimaginable legnth how did you feel? Is it all you imagened it would be? When you look back and remember that your hair would never grow pass your shoulders and you now have your dream hair how do you feel...before and after please :)

TIA

ETA, if anyone has a story or experience please share...I want to read everyones moment of hair related joy lol :)

FoxxyLocs

I've always had long, thick hair. I never worried about cutting it because it grew back so quickly. My BC was the first time I had ever had short hair. My mom had a fit when I chopped and kept telling me how it wouldn't grow back, I wouldn't be pretty anymore (thanks mom), etc. I wouldn't straighten my hair for years just to spite her, lol. It felt great to have my natural hair grow back to BSL, and then to show her how long it was but refuse to straighten it. I'm over it now though :)

Aside from torturing my mommy, I think I was most surprised to see my hair at WL. IRL it's rare to see anyone with hair that long, and it's funny to look back at hair that I used to think was incredibly long and realize it was really just an average length.

skyslady

When initially started I wanted to grow hair APL. Well, when I was pass my shoulders I was happy because it was a sign that I was doing something right. Then, When I reached APL it seemed like my hair was not that long. So BSL was the next goal.

From APL to BSL it felt for ever..Heck how many " It's the pits being stuck at APL" did I do. :nono: I discovered , I was doing everything right but I could benefit from better tools.

BSL... Well its nice. I actually feel like my hair is starting to be long. Some sides of the hair is started the creep BSL. I love it. I can see it and feel it...i might make it this year to my ultimate goal. MBL:yep:..MBL all around.

Great job!

PinkPeony

Growing up I never had long hair.
My mom tried her best with braiding my hair which a kind african lady taught her to do but doing and maintaining my hair was always a chore for us.
Nobody had hair like mine, all the other mixed boys and girls had curly hair that didn't grew up like mine.

Eventually I started to love it but was still baffled by the day to day maintenance.
We tried everything , every new miracle product and even idiotic ideas like white people perms.
Finally I found my way to relaxer kits (we moved to a more diverse part of Germany) and combing my hair was not painful ( I never used conditioner so the knots were monstrous).
But my hair still never grew past my ears.
After I got married and met real life black women with beautiful, moving SL hair I had enough and googled black hair care. I ended up here.

It was a revelation, finally I learned what to do with my hair for daily maintenance and when my hair for the first time ever reached SL and moved when I flatironed it I felt like hot stuff. I LOVED my hair,the swang it had and how EASY it was to maintain.
That was back in 2006
Soon I had a new goal,length and thickness. Every time I reached Apl I'd trim back like crazy. I had crazy hair anorexia and never felt quite as excited about my length as I did reaching SL.
2 yrs ago I started to transition and reached BSB/BSl but maintained and eventually bc'd to SL in 2011.

Now I'm trying again for APL+ and beyond .
I know I never reached a long length but just being able to take care of my hair, to know how to grow and LOVE it was a unthinkable milestone for me.:grin:

IMFOCSD

Growing up I never had long hair.
My mom tried her best with braiding my hair which a kind african lady taught her to do but doing and maintaining my hair was always a chore for us.
Nobody had hair like mine, all the other mixed boys and girls had curly hair that didn't grew up like mine.

Eventually I started to love it but was still baffled by the day to day maintenance.
We tried everything , every new miracle product and even idiotic ideas like white people perms.
Finally I found my way to relaxer kits (we moved to a more diverse part of Germany) and combing my hair was not painful ( I never used conditioner so the knots were monstrous).
But my hair still never grew past my ears.
After I got married and met real life black women with beautiful, moving SL hair I had enough and googled black hair care. I ended up here.

It was a revelation, finally I learned what to do with my hair for daily maintenance and when my hair for the first time ever reached SL and moved when I flatironed it I felt like hot stuff. I LOVED my hair,the swang it had and how EASY it was to maintain.
That was back in 2006
Soon I had a new goal,length and thickness. Every time I reached Apl I'd trim back like crazy. I had crazy hair anorexia and never felt quite as excited about my length as I did reaching SL.
2 yrs ago I started to transition and reached BSB/BSl but maintained and eventually bc'd to SL in 2011.

Now I'm trying again for APL+ and beyond .
I know I never reached a long length but just being able to take care of my hair, to know how to grow and LOVE it was a unthinkable milestone for me.:grin:[/
QUOTE]

Yes, it feels great reaching a goal no matter how near or far...easy or hard :)

Carrie A

When my hair surpassed my set length I felt truly empowered. This hair growth thing for me is a metaphor for life. Once you set your mind to something and stick with it with patience and kindness (ex. love your hair through the ups and downs of this process) you can accomplish this goal. Growing out the relaxer was one milestone and reaching BSL was another.

I had doubts that I could grow my hair long but this site help me to see the possibility. I think back to when I first read that Wanakee pamplet and it blows my mind to think my hair could one day reach that length.

Other feelings that have come through are a greater sense of femininity, authencity (with natural hair), and beauty. I get a lot of positive feedback when I wear my hair down and people are pretty receptive when they ask advice.

I have yet to reach my full potential and I still have a lot to learn so I'm anticipating my hair's future with excitement.

hillytmj

I agree with the other ladies who say that when you reach your goal, it feels unbelieveable to you too. Now that I had a setback and am trying to get back there, I promise that I will pinch myself or whatever it takes to realize it's real and not get lazy with my reggie, LOL.

I reached a little past waist and I think I was more amazed than anyone I knew. I believed in faith that it would happen, but it felt amazing becuase I had never seen myself with WL hair, let alone known another black woman who was WL. Most people asked if I had a weave or if I was mixed (which I clearly am not) as if those are the only two ways a black woman can have long hair. I can think of three ladies that I've seen at my job who are WL and beyond.

I'm recovering from a setback with good results. When I checked about three weeks ago I was about an inch past BSL and three inches to WL. I'm cherishing what I have (fullness, health, shine) and enjoying it, nurturing it until I reach my WHIP goal. The first time around I obsessed and stressed. Now I'm enjoying the journey and staying confident that it'll be back and even better than before.

Pre-LHCF Jan 2006
Jan. 2006.JPG

Pre-LHCF May 2006
May 27, 2006.jpg

WL Jan. 2011
1-6-11-WL-cropped.jpg

WL July 2011
Ponytail.jpg

Today
Houston-20120505-00750.jpg

IMFOCSD

I agree with the other ladies who say that when you reach your goal, it feels unbelieveable to you too. Now that I had a setback and am trying to get back there, I promise that I will pinch myself or whatever it takes to realize it's real and not get lazy with my reggie, LOL.

I reached a little past waist and I think I was more amazed than anyone I knew. I believed in faith that it would happen, but it felt amazing becuase I had never seen myself with WL hair, let alone known another black woman who was WL. Most people asked if I had a weave or if I was mixed (which I clearly am not) as if those are the only two ways a black woman can have long hair. I can think of three ladies that I've seen at my job who are WL and beyond.

I'm recovering from a setback with good results. When I checked about three weeks ago I was about an inch past BSL and three inches to WL. I'm cherishing what I have (fullness, health, shine) and enjoying it, nurturing it until I reach my WHIP goal. The first time around I obsessed and stressed. Now I'm enjoying the journey and staying confident that it'll be back and even better than before.

Pre-LHCF Jan 2006
View attachment 150467

Pre-LHCF May 2006
View attachment 150465

WL Jan. 2011
View attachment 150469

WL July 2011
View attachment 150471

Today
View attachment 150473

very inspirational! :)