Naturals with long hair...please help

turnergirl

OK so I am sitting here ready to give up on growing my hair to full BSL because I just cannot imagine handling that much hair natural. Ladies with full BSL or longer natural hair, please tell us how you do it.
How do detangle that much hair?
How Long does it take?
How much product does your hair take? Conditioner, leave in etc.
What do you do about the knots? (It seems as if they get worse the longer the hair gets)

How do you manage hair that covers most of your back but shrinks up to above your shoulders?

Share your knowledge with those of us who will be where you are in the future.

Thanks for Sharing!!!

This is a good question! In my mind I am ready for long natural hair but the reality is it will be a task :yep:

I am coming to grips with this reality everyday. The bottom half of my hair is practically at BSL but I have layer all over the top of my head that are just at shoulder length. I hate combing through all of this hair and right now my hair is 14 inches all over but the reality is that for BSL the very back part of my hair will have to be 15-17 inches long and those upper portions in the crown and at the top of my head would have to be 21-22 inches. Just thinking about what a 22 inch strand of natural hair could do interms of knotting is scary. How much longer it would take to detangle these upper lengths is scary.

How do detangle that much hair? I use a lot of conditioner and comb through it gently. It does not take long to do because my hair slips right through the comb. If my hair is dry due to flat ironing than I apply a light coat of Vatika oil and comb through with my denman brush.

How Long does it take? Not a long time (about 0-30 minutes) because my hair slips right through the comb. I rarely get knots and tangles because I coat my hair with a little conditioner after every wash. I rinse or condition wash my hair daily or every other day and always leave a bit of conditioner in my hair. My hair is always soft.

How much product does your hair take? Conditioner, leave in etc. I can go through a normal size bottle in a week or less. I typically buy huge bottles so I it can last a month. I am also learning not to be so heavy handed. I am also cheap. I do not buy fancy products. The most I splurge on is my flat iron serums which is the CHI or Fantasia in pink bottle.

What do you do about the knots? (It seems as if they get worse the longer the hair gets) As I mentioned before, leaving a light coat of conditioner on my hair seems to alleviate the knots. I recently just left my hair alone for a few days and knots were in three places because I had allowed it to get very dry. I tore those knots out. :look: I did not have time. I do not spend a lot of time on my hair except weekends, when it is all about me. :yep:

Overall, long natural hair is beautiful if you take your time and when you learn to style appropriately. However, I prefer cooler months because my hair gets less frizzies and does not seem to need to be washed as much. This summer has been murder because my hair was so dry from the sun.

I often wear my hair in a bun and I only take my hair down or flat iron it for my man.:yep:

If you are wondering my hair is currently a little longer than midback. I will say in parting that shrinkage still remains to be a :rolleyes::sad:!!!! and good luck with your hair goals!:grin:

Last edited:
I want natural bra strap hair but my hair shrinks badly. It looks the same lenght it did two years ago. :perplexed

How do detangle that much hair? I use a lot of conditioner and comb through it gently. It does not take long to do because my hair slips right through the comb. If my hair is dry due to flat ironing than I apply a light coat of Vatika oil and comb through with my denman brush.

How Long does it take? Not a long time (about 0-30 minutes) because my hair slips right through the comb. I rarely get knots and tangles because I coat my hair with a little conditioner after every wash. I rinse or condition wash my hair daily or every other day and always leave a bit of conditioner in my hair. My hair is always soft.

How much product does your hair take? Conditioner, leave in etc. I can go through a normal size bottle in a week or less. I typically buy huge bottles so I it can last a month. I am also learning not to be so heavy handed. I am also cheap. I do not buy fancy products. The most I splurge on is my flat iron serums which is the CHI or Fantasia in pink bottle.

What do you do about the knots? (It seems as if they get worse the longer the hair gets) As I mentioned before, leaving a light coat of conditioner on my hair seems to alleviate the knots. I recently just left my hair alone for a few days and knots were in three places because I had allowed it to get very dry. I tore those knots out. :look: I did not have time. I do not spend a lot of time on my hair except weekends, when it is all about me. :yep:

Overall, long natural hair is beautiful if you take your time and when you learn to style appropriately. However, I prefer cooler months because my hair gets less frizzies and does not seem to need to be washed as much. This summer has been murder because my hair was so dry from the sun.

I often wear my hair in a bun and I only take my hair down or flat iron it for my man.:yep:

If you are wondering my hair is currently a little longer than midback. I will say in parting that shrinkage still remains to be a :rolleyes::sad:!!!! and good luck with your hair goals!:grin:

Thank you Spicekitten. I may have to look into leaving conditioner in my hair. I use to do that back in year 2.

Anyone else??

1.How do detangle that much hair?
In the shower on wash day. I shampoo and comb my hair out section by section (6 sections) as the shower water runs over my hair. It's easy.

2.How Long does it take?
I always comb it out in the shower so it takes 5 minutes.

3.How much product does your hair take? Conditioner, leave in etc.
A LOT!!!!!!!!!!! A 16 oz tub of choesterol conditioner only lasts through 2 wash days. My products come in big sizes, but only lasts through two uses because I have to use sooooooooooooooooo much. Even when I had a relaxer I was using a lot of product because my hair is so dag on thick.

4.What do you do about the knots? I don't really get knots anymore. My friend recently gave me a 1 inch trim and the knots are gone! Comb outs are easier too. The trim helped a lot. I don't wear my hair out as much as everyone else on this board so it doesn't get tangled at all. I wear my hair the way Chicoro demonstrated in her hair album. (5 braids in a ponytail-and a curly hairpiece to cover the baggie.)

5.How do you manage hair that covers most of your back but shrinks up to above your shoulders? I'm not too good at getting my hair to stretch out so I don't know. I just kinda accept it.

Me 3! I'm bra strap length when straight - when natural and curly, I'm just below my ears. To the point where when I do straighten my hair, people are always like "where'd you get all that hair from".

I would love to have natural hair that hung somewhere between my shoulders and brastrap but at this rate, it's like a 5 year process. AND lord knows I'm not that patient. :)

1.How do detangle that much hair?
In the shower on wash day. I shampoo and comb my hair out section by section (6 sections) as the shower water runs over my hair. It's easy.

2.How Long does it take?
I always comb it out in the shower so it takes 5 minutes.

A LOT!!!!!!!!!!! A 16 oz tub of choesterol conditioner only lasts through 2 wash days. My products come in big sizes, but only lasts through two uses because I have to use sooooooooooooooooo much. Even when I had a relaxer I was using a lot of product because my hair is so dag on thick.

4.What do you do about the knots? I don't really get knots anymore. My friend recently gave me a 1 inch trim and the knots are gone! Comb outs are easier too. The trim helped a lot. I don't wear my hair out as much as everyone else on this board so it doesn't get tangled at all. I wear my hair the way Chicoro demonstrated in her hair album. (5 braids in a ponytail-and a curly hairpiece to cover the baggie.)

5.How do you manage hair that covers most of your back but shrinks up to above your shoulders? I'm not too good at getting my hair to stretch out so I don't know. I just kinda accept it.

Very important tip in the bold. I do sections too. I section my hair before getting in the shower.

How do you detangle that much hair? Detangling is easier when my damp hair has been braided at night. I have a w i d e - tooth bone comb I use in the mornings for my daily CW and detangling.

How long does it take?
CW, conditioning, detangling, and cold water rinse take about 30 minutes when I'm in a hurry.

How much product does your hair take?
I go through a 22.5oz bottle of Suave Tropical Coconut
Conditioner in about a week. An 11oz bottle of Aubrey will last less than a week. My conditioners are multi-tasking as cleansers and leave-ins as well.

What do you do about the knots? Braiding at night helps tremendously! I'm challenging myself to be more consistent with this.

How do you manage hair that covers most of your back but shrinks up to above your shoulders? I wear my hair in a bun mostly...and I'm bored with it. I'll be flat-ironing soon.

Thank you SVT and bellydancer. This is really shedding some light on what I am up against. I already detangle in sections but it is still difficult. Maybe in time things will get easier.

awesome question! I HAD about 18" of natural hair, I loved the look of it when it was done and taken care of. seems the longer it got the more time consuming it became for me and I just didnt have the time. many days I was tired of having to jump in the shower just to put it in a ponytail. I got tired of the tangles and detangling, forget about dry hair styling, that was rough if you were short on time, you have to really take your time brush very carefully on dry nappy hair...... well to make a long story short, IN MY SITUATION- I'm a mom of 4 little people, I homeschool, and starting up my own work at home business, a hubby to keep happy and tons of other commitments. I am a rather green or crunchy girl and relaxing my hair was the one thing that I thought I could compromise on for a while. I got tired of the twist and braids and just wanted some variety, a new look. either that or cut it all off.... which I will probably do in a couple years when I go nappy again. I guess I just believe that a gal should have fun with her hair and enjoy it rather than being totally rigid with one philosophy.... or maybe I'm a hair sinner lol:rolleyes::grin:

Thank you SVT and bellydancer. This is really shedding some light on what I am up against. I already detangle in sections but it is still difficult. Maybe in time things will get easier.

Turner:

It should not be hard for you.

I never understood why people think natural hair is difficult.

My hair is like butter when I comb through it and it only takes 45 minutes to a hour for my stylist to flat iron it and this includes wash and blow dry. In addition, I only need one swipe of the flat iron.

I think people use too many products or the wrong products. Honestly, long natural hair is not hard unless you attempt to braid your hair with small braids or flat iron it yourself.

It is not a big deal. Long natural hair is the bomb. If I felt comfortable I would post pictures of all the ways I wear my natural hair. I am so in love with my hair. :spinning: You have great things to look forward too! :yep:

I am going to suggest you look at the products you are using. Your hair should comb out like butter and tangle less if you style correctly and use the right products made for your hair.

Embrace the biggest and hugest fro!:grin: It is a beautiful thing. I hope to see you on the long natural hair side loving it as much I am... I will be waiting for you.:yep:

I understand your frustration I am at BSL in the last picture in my siggy but you would never know it. I have like what 99% shrinkage!

full BSL or longer natural hair, please tell us how you do it.
How do detangle that much hair? I do this in the shower with conditioner or afro detangler. I am going to try the Red Palm Butter the next time I wash just to see how it goes.

How Long does it take? It takes less than 20 minutes since I keep product in my hair while combing, braiding, styling, twisting, whatever. I never ever do my hair dry it always has something in it. I use a daily spritz that has SCurl, conditioner and other things in it so when I go to shower or take down my styles my hair is soft. I do most of my combing and detangling when I wash my hair in the shower.

How much product does your hair take? Conditioner, leave in etc. My hair can drink some product so I am able to slather it on without it feeling gooey, thank goodness.

What do you do about the knots? (It seems as if they get worse the longer the hair gets) My knots seem to happen the most when I try to take my hair down dry, so I am learning to make sure that my ends are coated when dealing with styles. I have a debraider (very pointed end) and believe it or not a safety pin to help me with the knots on the ends. When it is mid shaft I go with a large tooth comb. I know yes I said safety pin I learned that trick from a lady on another hair site.

How do you manage hair that covers most of your back but shrinks up to above your shoulders? I will switch up. This summer I am into wearing a curly fro on the back and flat twisting the front. When I get irritated with my hair that is when I hide it because I would do something rash when I am in that mindset. I am thinking about doing some long twists for the fall and winter because I am still busy with some home front things that I need to deal with and trying to handle my hair would not be a good thing right now.

You know what also, my hair does not grown down it grows out so the only way it hits my back is when I stretch it for a length shot.

Hang in there! :yawn:

Last edited:

How long is your hair?

Do you find that the cholesterol provides you with enough moisture and slip?

How do you use your cholesterol?

I find it so hard to believe that you use 16oz worth of product in two days (I am NOT calling you a liar)....

-I try to section off the hair in twists the night before I wash. I'll COMPLETELY WET my hair and add a little Burt's Bee's Avocado butter treatment to it and section it off in like 8 big twists, gently and briefly detangling with my fingers as I'm sectioning it off.

The next day (wash day), I find it pretty easy and quick to detangle my hair. The detangling process itself only takes about 15 minutes for me. I only detangle my hair in the shower when the hair is soaked and saturated with a good conditioner that I feel provides enough slip (I recently re-discovered Creme of Nature products, so right now I'm using one of their conditioners to detangle with).

I undo the twist, detangle with a wide toothed comb, and redo the twist back up, all while in the shower. It is important to note that, when detangling, I start by passing the comb through the ENDS of the hair first, then work my way to the top. Some people will start near the root of the hair. This is a big no-no that I have found only creates more knots, tangling, and time spent detangling the hair. Start from the bottom and work your way up.

How Long does it take?
-The detangling process itself, while in the shower, takes me about 15 minutes.

-I like to think I use a "moderate" amount of product. When detangling, I use about a "plam full" of conditioner on my whole head, however much that is. I used to use even more, and could probably do with even less. After some recent reading I've been doing I've come to believe I'm probably too heavy-handed with the product usage. If you are having trouble detanging, you MIGHT need to ease up on the product usage and revamp your technique.

What do you do about the knots? (It seems as if they get worse the longer the hair gets)
-I don't do anything about knots. I used to get them when I first went natural and was doing twist-outs alot, but I'm not sure why I was getting them or why I don't anymore. :ohwell: Don't get me wrong-I still see an occasional knot here and there, but it's rare.

How do you manage hair that covers most of your back but shrinks up to
above your shoulders?
-Well, I have been maintaining a really simple regime of wearing a bun 90% of the time for like the past 2 years, lol :lachen: So maybe someone who does more styles and tries more things on their hair than I do would be better at answering this question. I can say that as time goes on, though, I'm learning to embrace my shrinkage even more. I like the length my hair hangs to when it's straight. And I like the length it shrinks up to when it's wet as well!

In general, in the past when I've found myself spending way too much time trying to achieve something on my hair, I feel that it was because I just didn't know a better way of achieving the same results with less time. Sometimes other people are the best resource for finding the right technique. That's why LHCF is such a great resource for me-I might see someone with hair like mine and be able to take things from their regime or their product usage and learn new and better ways for caring for my own hair.

And that's also why this was such a great post, too-I hope to see more responses from others who might have some tips on caring for natural hair, or detangling hair in general. :drunk:

How do you detangle that much hair?
I only detangle in the shower with lots of conditioner.

How long does it take?
About 15-20 minutes

How much product does your hair take?
About 4 oz, or I just use as much as I need to get that silky feeling. I usually use a cheapie to get it silky, rinse then put on my more expensive product.

What do you do about the knots?
When I first arrived at brastrap I did have a lot of problems with tangles and knots, so much so, I was ready to perm. I then discovered Nexxus Ensure Detangler and it worked wonders, no more tangles or knots.

How do you manage hair that covers most of your back but shrinks up to above your shoulders?
I don't have major shrinkage any more, I learned to work with my texture. I usually airdry in ponytails with rollers on the end and my hair comes out fairly straight, I tie a scarf around the edges. When I'm to lazy to do this, I just make two ponytails, and band them down the length, then tie a scarf around my head to lay down the edges

Turner:

It should not be hard for you.

I never understood why people think natural hair is difficult.

My hair is like butter when I comb through it and it only takes 45 minutes to a hour for my stylist to flat iron it and this includes wash and blow dry. In addition, I only need one swipe of the flat iron.

I think people use too many products or the wrong products. Honestly, long natural hair is not hard unless you attempt to braid your hair with small braids or flat iron it yourself.

It is not a big deal. Long natural hair is the bomb. If I felt comfortable I would post pictures of all the ways I wear my natural hair. I am so in love with my hair. :spinning: You have great things to look forward too! :yep:

I am going to suggest you look at the products you are using. Your hair should comb out like butter and tangle less if you style correctly and use the right products made for your hair.

Embrace the biggest and hugest fro!:grin: It is a beautiful thing. I hope to see you on the long natural hair side loving it as much I am... I will be waiting for you.:yep:

Thanks. I absolutely love my hair and all that great stuff. I feel kinda bad because I made it sound like I was just having the struggle of my life with my hair and I am not. I just want to know how I can get beyond the issues I have now because I don't want them to get worse. I feel my hair is beautiful and I can get away with doing one wash n go and wearing it for 5 days before I have to rewash, so I have styles and everything like that down. I just as always have hated the detangling process and it just seems like it never gets better. I am working on something that may help with the tangling and knots.

About the bolded part: I think natural hair can be difficult for some. Those who are not used to taking care of their own hair. Or people with extremely dense, thick, nappy hair have to work very hard at getting there hair to retain length. It just depends on person. When I was in college there were about 30 natural women in my class and we all had varying textures, density and thickness. I saw a range of issues and struggles.

If I solve this knot problem I may move beyond BSL. We will see.

Last edited:
I'm so glad I read through the advice given in this thread. I know what I've been doing wrong now...I'm not using enough conditioner :wallbash: It takes me about 3 months to go through a regular sized bottle of conditioner:spinning:

Turnergirl....I was looking through your album just yesterday and your hair is beautiful:yep:

Thanks homegirl, mscocoface, joyous and zzirvingj. I am loving the advice.

IT seems as if a great deal of these things are part of my regimine. I detangle with lots of slippery conditioner in the shower, in sections with a wide tooth comb, starting from the bottom. I wear protective styles, I am somewhat picky about my products. I don't use the more expensive stuff because I go through it quickly and I hate ordering from the internet but they are still great products. I may intergrate a serious detangler into my stash.

I don't know what the deal is.

I'm so glad I read through the advice given in this thread. I know what I've been doing wrong now...I'm not using enough conditioner :wallbash: It takes me about 3 months to go through a regular sized bottle of conditioner:spinning:

Turnergirl....I was looking through your album just yesterday and your hair is beautiful:yep:

Thank you pattycake. I could probably stand to use a little more conditioner. I like to put oil in it to make it a little more slippery.

Good post. I'm w/ some of the other ladies sometimes the prospect of having long natural hair gets a little overwhelming. :look:, but I can't wait to have it!

Great thread :grin: I want BSL hair...and the prospect seems daunting on days that I battle my creeping towards APL natural naps. This thread was very encouraging.

OK so I am sitting here ready to give up on growing my hair to full BSL because I just cannot imagine handling that much hair natural. Ladies with full BSL or longer natural hair, please tell us how you do it.
How Long does it take?

Share your knowledge with those of us who will be where you are in the future.

Thanks for Sharing!!!

I wish I could provide an absolutely positive response. But in all honesty, long natural hair is a lot of work...for me. I love my hair and want to grow it even longer. But I'm just trying to keep it real about the work involved. My hair is waist length and just this morning, I was seriously thinking about cutting it. It tangles like crazy, despite the fact that I keep it in a protective style almost all of the time. As it gets longer, the detangling issues have gotten more extreme. It is not unusual for me to take 30 minute showers, half of which are spent getting the knots/tangles out of my hair.

This morning, I tried the method Poka wrote about in her recent thread, and it did help. That is, I detangled before I got in the shower. I put my hair in sections, dampened each section with water and used loads of conditioner to detangle it. This took a while, but I wasn't wasting water and I didn't feel rushed like I sometimes do in the shower. I wrote in her thread that I am going to do this from now on.

The key to detangling for me has always been the use of a seamless wide tooth comb, A LOT of conditioner and the use of the shower spray itself. It works, but as the hair gets longer, it just takes longer to accomplish the task.

I go through so much conditioner. I can no longer afford to buy expensive stuff regularly. I'm not kidding that I can go through a bottle of conditioner with just two cowashes....or very near that. Fortunately, I don't use many products. It's basically conditioner and natural butters, which have saved my hair as far as keeping it protected and moisturized.

So yeah, for me, the knots have gotten worse as my hair has gotten longer and I just have to make sure I don't go too long without detangling or all hell breaks loose.

Shrinkage is just one of those things we have to deal with. I'm at WL, but my hair will dry much shorter. I think maybe it's at about APL in some spots with shrinkage, and maybe BSL at other parts. But it really depends on weather and other mysterious factors. I've had days of incredible shrinkage. But generally, my hair is up in a bun anyway, so I don't see the shrinkage.

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression because I do LOVE my hair and feel very grateful for it. I look forward to it getting longer. However, I can't pretend it isn't a lot of work or that I never have moments of contemplating the scissors. Over all, though, it's definitely worth it and I'm so glad I haven't cut it.

Back