Naturals with long hair...please help

Cichelle. Thanks for the Honesty. I know that it cannot be all rosey for everyone because it's not for me now and I am just getting to BSL with lots of shorter layers. While my hair is not the most difficult it is still not easy/ I can deal with tangles but knots are the bain of my existence.

This is a very helpful thread as I am contemplating transitioning to natural. (it's now been 6.5 months)

I don't plan to do a BC, but rather just cut about an inch or two every few months or so. The part that really scares me and makes me wonder whether being natural is for me or not are some of the things you ladies have mentioned. Primary the detangling and figuring out the right products to use is what scares me.

I love the tips so far and I will continue to follow this thread!

BB

For me, taking care of my natural hair is a bit like walking. It's easy and like second nature, until you stumble and fall. You get up, look back to see what the heck you fell over, brush yourself off and keep on walking.

How do you detangle that much hair?
I detangle in the shower as I'm rinsing out my prepoo concoction, or with a fair amount of cheap conditioner. If I'm detangling outside of the shower, I saturate my hair with castor oil add conditioner, put on a plastic cap for about 30 minutes and then detangle. I always section my hair into at least 4 parts before detangling, and use a wide tooth seamless comb. Sometimes I start the detangling with a denman brush and detangle the last 2" of my hair by smoothing it around my fingers with the brush, and then continue up my hair with the comb.

How Long does it take?
It takes me about 10 minutes in the shower, and about 20 if not in the shower.

How much product does your hair take? Conditioner, leave in etc.
I use VO5, White Rain, or Suave for the detangling process. If I have the 15oz bottle, then I use it up in two washes. Lately I've been buying the Suave Humectus in the 32oz. When I run out of that, there is one that Sally's sells by the gallon, and I'm going to try it. For deep conditioning, I use cholesterol, hair mayo, 10 en 1, or anything else that is thick, moisturizing, and inexpensive.

What do you do about the knots? (It seems as if they get worse the longer the hair gets)
I don't seem to get very many knots. Maybe it's the oil that I add to my conditioner, or because I don't wear my hair loose very often. Also, when I'm detangling and the comb comes to an area that seems really tangled, I work the tangle out with my fingers before continuing to comb. ETA: Oh, I also use Biosilk or Ego Boost on my ends.

How do you manage hair that covers most of your back but shrinks up to above your shoulders?
Very carefully.:lachen: Seriously though, I put leave-in and one of the natural butters that I have in my hair before exiting the shower. That seems to help alot. I'm also another Chicoro method user. Since my hair isn't as thick, I only make 3 braids. If I want my hair out, then I'll wear twists or straighten it. I've worn twists once this year, and straightened twice. When I want my hair to look a little more fancy, then I use hair accessories (hair sticks, flexi-8's, bun covers, etc).

Last edited:
This is such a great thread...as it seems the longer my hair gets the more frightened I am of dealing with the big mass of afro that is stalking me from the top of my head so I have it in braids and when I take the braids out I usually have them redone the same day which cannot be too good for my scalp. But I will take on the advice give from those dealing with an even bigger afro....thnx:yep:

How do detangle that much hair? Like most, with conditioner in it in the shower after washing. I use one of the Denman brushes or a wide tooth comb.

How Long does it take?
A couple of minutes. WAYY better than when I used to do it dry and would have huge clumps coming out.

I DO have to be careful though not to get lazy and miss a spot. If so, I'll have a dreadlock in a few weeks. :ohwell:

I use conditioner for a few minutes while I'm showering. Elucence, Avalon Organics, Jessicurl just started using the Trader Joe's stuff. Afterwards I use a leave in--Oyin Whipped Pudding and lately I've been trying the Kinky Curly Knot Today. Sometimes I use castor oil too and rub it in my scalp mostly.

What do you do about the knots? (It seems as if they get worse the longer the hair gets)

I don't have a big problem with that...I have some and they're in the front but it's not bad.

How do you manage hair that covers most of your back but shrinks up to above your shoulders?
Not sure I understand the question. It's a LITTLE annoying but doesn't bother me that much. I find I can stretch it by drying it in particular ways. Either pinning it up in a clip or wearing a bun on top of my head. So that way it's not ear length but CLOSER to the shoulder. ;)

I like to put oil in it to make it a little more slippery.

What oil are you using for this maybe use a little more.

I have had a chance to use Camellia oil and Red Palm Butter this month and my hair really likes it.

I have my hair in big braids and the ends are really soft. I even took down one of the braids after a few days and it is still manageable and I did not fight with the tangles even though it was dry on the inside.

Stowaway who has been natural for 27 years told about how Red Palm Butter from Camden Grey helped her with her detangling issues and I am telling you this stuff has been very good for my hair and if you look at my hairsite and my siggy below I have some seriously kinky hair that has about 99.9% shrinkage factor so you know it likes to twists up on itself. I call it a dysfunctional love affair with tangles.:assimilat

I also use conditioner on my hair like no bodies business. I have a stock of conditioners that I get and I am not stingy with it. I even put some conditioner in my daily spritz to help with keeping my hair supple.

I want to one day get to waist length and I am accepting the fact that even when I reach that length my hair will probably continue to look similar to my siggy in length. :lachen: But as long as it detangles easily and is supple and soft, I am going to deal with it.:yep: Or at least give it my best!

I'm loving this thread..I can't wait to have this problem. It seems I am missing the CW factor. A lot of you with long hair appear to wash daily. Am I right?

I'm loving this thread..I can't wait to have this problem. It seems I am missing the CW factor. A lot of you with long hair appear to wash daily. Am I right?

You'll have the problem quicker than you think. :) Only 2X a week for me, and as winter approaches I'll probably switch to 1X per week.

Last edited:

I mostly cowashed daily for a couple of years. Right now, I'm cowashing three times a week and shampooing when needed. This is mostly because of time issues.

Thanks Golden Breeze and Cichelle...do you mind if I ask what is your CW regime? I am so new to all of this LHCF has a lot of information.

Thanks Golden Breeze and Cichelle...do you mind if I ask what is your CW regime? I am so new to all of this LHCF has a lot of information.

I've changed my way of doing things. Before I get in the shower, I detangle my hair by sections, using a bit of water and a lot of conditioner on each section. I use a seamless comb and I twist each section afterwards. I end up with about six twists, no more. When I get in the shower, I usually take out the twists one by one running my comb through each section. That part is really fast. I massage my scalp and keep rinsing until most of the conditioner is out. After cowashing, I let my hair dry a little while, then I use a natural butter.

If I'm using shampoo, I either mix the shampoo with conditioner, or I shampoo when my hair is fully covered with conditioner or coconut oil, particularly the bottom half of my hair. This way my hair gets clean, but it doesn't feel stripped. I concentrate on the scalp when shampooing.

HTH.

1. How do detangle that much hair?
I use lots of conditioner! I deep condition my hair every week or so. I also use lots of leave-in.
2. How Long does it take?
5-10 minutes
3. How much product does your hair take? Conditioner, leave in etc.
I don't wash but every week or 2, so not a whole lot. I haven't bought any new conditioners in months.
4. What do you do about the knots? (It seems as if they get worse the longer the hair gets)
Fortunately, I have never really had a problem with knots.
5. How do you manage hair that covers most of your back but shrinks up to above your shoulders?
My hair shrinks a lot. Right now it's cut in layers, and that's not a great look when it's curly. I wear braidouts sometimes, but sometimes I like the short look to give it a different look.

Most ladies here want long hair, but let me warn you... When natural hair gets really long, there is very little to do with it. Think about how big your hair is now...then imagine how big it will be when it gets longer.:spinning: My hair is HUGE! That's the reason I wear so many braidouts and why I wear it straight a lot. After a certain length, there's no more wash n gos, unless you use a whole lot of gel. (At least for me that's the case. Certain textures will probably be better with wash n gos.) I've been trying not to press so much this summer. Not because of damage, but because I want to be more comfortable with the natural look, but I don't know too many people with my texture and length who can wear it just natural and look professional. I also think that because I wear it straight and in braidouts so much, maybe that's why I don't really have a problem with knots. It seems like my hair tangles much more after wearing it out natural.

See journal for more info.

I use lots of conditioner! I deep condition my hair every week or so. I also use lots of leave-in.
5-10 minutes
I don't wash but every week or 2, so not a whole lot. I haven't bought any new conditioners in months.
4. What do you do about the knots? (It seems as if they get worse the longer the hair gets)
5. How do you manage hair that covers most of your back but shrinks up to above your shoulders?
My hair shrinks a lot. Right now it's cut in layers, and that's not a great look when it's curly. I wear braidouts sometimes, but sometimes I like the short look to give it a different look.

Most ladies here want long hair, but let me warn you... When natural hair gets really long, there is very little to do with it. Think about how big your hair is now...then imagine how big it will be when it gets longer.:spinning: My hair is HUGE! That's the reason I wear so many braidouts and why I wear it straight a lot. After a certain length, there's no more wash n gos, unless you use a whole lot of gel. (At least for me that's the case. Certain textures will probably be better with wash n gos.) I've been trying not to press so much this summer. Not because of damage, but because I want to be more comfortable with the natural look, but I don't know too many people with my texture and length who can wear it just natural and look professional. I also think that because I wear it straight and in braidouts so much, maybe that's why I don't really have a problem with knots. It seems like my hair tangles much more after wearing it out natural.

Hhhmmmm....That is interesting. I have been wondering myself, what else can I do with my hair as it continues to get longer? And I'm kind of at a loss as to what.....besides buns and getting it pressed. So if you come up with some other good styles, let us know.

PS-I didn't realize you were natural---your hair is GORGEOUS!!! :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Last edited:
Hhhmmmm....That is interesting. I have been wondering myself, what else can I do with my hair as it continues to get longer? And I'm kind of at a loss as to what.....besides buns and getting it pressed. So if you come up with some other good styles, let us know.

PS-I didn't realize you were natural---your hair is GORGEOUS!!! :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Thanks!
When I figure it out, I will let you know!

5-10 minutes

Firstly, I love your hair!

I'm surprised at the bolded, given your hair type. I'm not positive what my hair type is but it's something like a 3b...I guess. Your hair is probably a lot thicker than mine. When I do a wash and go, I don't use gel. I do find it's best not to touch it while it's drying and I definitely get major shrinkage. But it doesn't get so big at all. Now, if I brush it when it's dry, that's a different story. It gets SUPER big east-west. It's crazy!

For me, the longer my hair gets, the more I can do with it. But that just goes to show you that everybody's hair is different. Also, I may be looking at things differently. I really like updos and I am starting to be able to do some of the ones I like that were impossible when my hair was shorter.

How do detangle that much hair? My hair is very fine and fragile, but still coily and kinky, so it's best for me to detangle prior to wetting it. I part it in sections, usually 4 to 6, slather it with Red Palm Butter and EVOO, and start from the ends and work my way up. After I'm done with a section, I twist it up. If I'm pre-pooing overnight, I'll cover with a cap, take down the twists in the morning and hop in the shower.

How Long does it take? It depends. I'm learning how to be more gentle with my hair, so sometimes I move pretty slow. It also depends on how tangled/matted my hair is. I'd say it can take anywhere from 5 to 25 minutes.

How much product does your hair take? Conditioner, leave in etc. I use a TON of conditioner. I usually start with a regular conditioner, and then follow up with a deep conditioner. I've been known to use upto 3 palm fulls per conditioner (regular & deep), sometimes more. But I don't cowash and I only wash 1x every week to two weeks, so I haven't run out of conditioner yet. Plus I'm a product junkie.:grin: But I must say, I've been fortunate in that mostly all of the products I've tried work very well for my hair.

What do you do about the knots? (It seems as if they get worse the longer the hair gets) For a while, I was getting regular trims, at least an inch clipped at a time. But the knots always came back. I recently decided I wasn't going to trim but 1x year until I reach my hair goals. In the meantime I slather my ends with Red Palm Butter or some other type of moisture/sealant, which has helped a lot. I also don't wear my hair loose. Staying consistent with moisturizing and oiling the hair has helped keep my single strand knots at a minimum. Baggying and using saftey pins has helped as well. Although occasionally, I will search and destroy.

How do you manage hair that covers most of your back but shrinks up to above your shoulders? Shrinkage is just a part of life when you're natural. I've come to accept that and learning to embrace it. Sure there are times when I want my length to fully show, but I know it's not gonna happen unless I flat iron. I must say that the longer my hair gets, the longer it hangs when shrunken. When I was at APL and the early stages of BSL my hair shrunk to a 2 or 3 inch mini fro. But now that I'm BSL/MBL, my hair shrinks between SL & APL....which is workable.

Thanks for starting this thread. Even though I'm natural and my hair is relatively "long", I'm still discovering new ways to care for my hair. So this is very helpful. The same concerns you have about natural BSL are the same concerns I have about natural WSL. It's a lot of hair, and a lot of work. My wash days last anywhere from 2 to 4 hours from start to finish, depending on what I'm doing. Mainly because I deep condition twice. First with a protein/reconstructor, then with a deep moisturizing treatment. I sit under my dryer for a minimum of 30 minutes for each treatment. Other times I just cover with a cap.

Typically I do not air dry because my strands can and will lock up on me. So most of the time I blowdry WITHOUT an attachment, and applying gentle pressure to the hair. This method will get my hair almost straight depending on the products I use. On the days where I'm feeling brave enough to air dry, I drown my hair in Scurl, Red Palm Butter, and WGO. Then I put it in two braids. I can only leave it like that for a week without combing it, before I have to wash again.

As my hair gains length, my regimen is changing a bit. I do two types of CO washes. One dry, and the other wet.

1. Dry - I put a thick (cholestrol, or 10 en 1) cond. on before getting in the shower, and leave it on about 5 min before adding castor oil. I leave that on another 5 min. Most of my shead hair comes out while smoothing the castor oil in. In the shower, I rinse, add a cheapie cond., put on a plastic cap while I shower, rinse and detangle after showering, and add whatever cond. I'm going to use for DC'ing.

2. Wet - I wet my hair in the shower, put in cheapie cond., massage it in, rinse it out, reapply put plastic cap on while showering, rinse add deep cond., and detangle upon returning to shower to rinse deep cond. out.

Well I'm not at BSL yet- I'm a little past APL but I think I can help b/c my hair is SUUUUUUUUUUPER THICK!!!! Did I say my hair was thick? I think I may be able to help so here goes:

How do detangle that much hair?
I use conditioner like everyone else. Surprisingly I dont have to use half the bottle ( I use cheapies- VO5 for instance). I do slap on a good bit though. While soaking wet I use my trusty Denman brush - which is a GOD send BTW- to detangle my hair which I do in sections.

How Long does it take?
It takes me 10-15 tops to detangle this jungle on top of my head. Yes- with that brush it only takes 10-15 min!!!! I was so jazzed the first time I used it that it was like I was on a high.

Not very much actually. I use Honey Hemp cond as a leave in and I use a generous amount, not a whole lot. That applies to every product that I use.

I just wait a while and trim the knots off. I dont have a way to avoid knots. I do believe however, that frequent bushing can help prevent them b/c it removes the shed hair before it can tangle with the un-shed hair. Wearing a lot of "out" styles also leads to knots on the ends too.

I really dont care about that anymore. I find that by breaking our my trusty Denman brush again and brushing dry hair will stretch the hair out a bit to make twists look longer or whatever. I'm at the point now where I dont care if my hair shrinks up to my forehead. :lachen:

OK so I am sitting here ready to give up on growing my hair to full BSL because I just cannot imagine handling that much hair natural. Ladies with full BSL or longer natural hair, please tell us how you do it.
How do detangle that much hair?
How Long does it take?

Share your knowledge with those of us who will be where you are in the future.

Thanks for Sharing!!!

For me, the longer it gets, the easier it is to take care. Short hair was harder for me. Knots? For me, it has been easier to comb my natural hair. When I was texturized, I had to content with 2 different textures which made combing a nightmare. My hair has shrinkage, but I'm all right with that. It's easy to wash and style because it gets fairly straight in water. It only shrinks as it dries.

Back