Ladies who had MSM mess with ur cycle...

ayoung

Have u noticed topical sulphur (BT, MTG etc...) messing with ur period?
Once u stopped taking MSM---did u see urself return to regualr?

I stopped taking my MSM powder and the irregular cycle stopped.

Then---I started taking L-glutathione for a more even complextion----and my cycle got weird again. I went to see what was diff. in my routine--and it was that supplement. Come to find out--its main component is Sulfur:perplexed

So--I stopped that--and back to normal.

Now.....i have been using BT everyday, sometimes twice:look: and again--my cycle is off.

Anyother ladies find that that topical sulphur is messing with ur period?

I luved my MSM---and:ohwell: now I might have to give topical sulfur up too!

I started using both MSM and BT about 10 days ago ... my cycle is usually like clockwork (thanks to birth control), but this month, I was 2 days late, and then it only lasted for 2 days, then one extremely light, almost non-existant day (sorry if that's TMI) ... I can't be sure it was just the MSM and the BT though, because I also started a high protein diet a week ago, and I know that sudden changes in my diet have affected my cycle in the past. I'm going to continue to use MSM and BT, and see what happens next month. By then my protein diet will be cut back considerably, and I'll be able to tell if it might be the MSM (I kinda doubt it's the BT, though I guess you never know). I really don't want to stop taking MSM--I don't know if it's doing anything for my hair, but after taking it only for a few days, it's all but eliminated my sinuses and my asthma (I only have exercise induced asthma though). I may just cut it back if it becomes a problem, though I'm only taking 1000 mg as it is.

saratess said:
It stopped my cycle for 3 months and once I quit MSM, my cycle came back.

:eek: Wow that would have scared the devil out of me! How did you figure out it was the MSM, or did you just happen to quit MSM?

saratess

InsatiableMe said:
:eek: Wow that would have scared the devil out of me! How did you figure out it was the MSM, or did you just happen to quit MSM?

It was the only thing that I had changed as far as consumption goes. As soon as I stopped MSM, the next week my cycle returned. I had read that it could affect the menses and lining of the uterus. Did not want to hear that 'cause husband and I want more kids.

saratess said:
It was the only thing that I had changed as far as consumption goes. As soon as I stopped MSM, the next week my cycle returned. I had read that it could affect the menses and lining of the uterus. Did not want to hear that 'cause husband and I want more kids.

Wow, I also read that it could affect the menses, but I didn't know it also affected the lining of the uterus. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind, and keep an eye on any changes in the future.

ayoung

Thanks ladies for ur input.

Went to the ob/gyn today and told him about the MSM and sulfur--but he said he didn't think I was taking enough for it to change my cycle.

I'm trying to beleive him---but I have heard several women on this board say it affected them. I'm still gonna hold off on the MSM for awhile though even though i luv it.

janeemat

YEP! It's the culprit. When I began taking MSM in Dec, it made my cycle 4 days late. Then it finally came on and it has been like clock work since. My cycle also lasts a day or so longer which I'm willing to deal with because of all of the other added benefits. But one thing I've notice is that I do not get those monthly breakouts on my chin and the cramps are not as bad.

Mook's hair

ayoung1981 said:
Thanks ladies for ur input.

Went to the ob/gyn today and told him about the MSM and sulfur--but he said he didn't think I was taking enough for it to change my cycle.

I'm trying to beleive him---but I have heard several women on this board say it affected them. I'm still gonna hold off on the MSM for awhile though even though i luv it.

Doctors are just regular people with a special degree. They don't know everything and are often very wrong. You know your body and you should follow your instincts. Do not place too much weight on the words of a medical professional.

klb120475

janeemat said:
YEP! It's the culprit. When I began taking MSM in Dec, it made my cycle 4 days late. Then it finally came on and it has been like clock work since. My cycle also lasts a day or so longer which I'm willing to deal with because of all of the other added benefits. But one thing I've notice is that I do not get those monthly breakouts on my chin and the cramps are not as bad.[/quote]

So true, every since I can remember I've always broke out on my chin around my cycle time....I've been taking Msm for 2 months now and I no longer get the monthly break out and my cramps are almost non existent. Now, I have noticed that my cycle is off...this month I started 5 days early.

scorpio

I have been taking MSM for about 1 month now and it definitely messed with my cycle. It came 2 days early and was super-heavy, which is very abnormal for me. So, I just cut back on the powder since the stuff was so expensive. I am going to try and finish off the bottle. It has improved my skin and it seems like my ng may be somewhat softer, but hard to tell just yet.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
My period only lasted THREE...count 'em...THREE days!!!!!! Can't believe it. My girl always come early, every month. Days 1 and 2 are heavy and my cycle lasts 7 days. This time around, I was heavy on Day 1, but Days 2 and 3 were light and almost nonexistent. I hope I'm alright...:confused:

sareca

A little, MSM 1-2,000mg/day, and my periods are lighter with fewer cramps. Too much and they are a nightmare. I don't think it affects fertility unless your period stops.

SEMO

I took MSM last year and it messed with my cycle (made it irregular), so I stopped taking it. I started using Boundless Tresses (which is a topical product w/ sulfur) about 2 weeks ago and my cycle seems fine. With MSM it was so off that I couln't help but notice. But I don't seem to have that problem with topical sulfur (I don't think topical sulfur products have enough sulfur to be a problem--and it's not in the bloodstream the same way ingested sulfur is).

Plus, I've used Qhemet Biologics products, which have sulfur, and I didn't have a problem w/ those either.

ETA: As soon as I stopped taking MSM capsules everything went back to normal.

Last edited:

ayoung

SEMO said:
I took MSM last year and it messed with my cycle (made it irregular), so I stopped taking it. I started using Boundless Tresses (which is a topical product w/ sulfur) about 2 weeks ago and my cycle seems fine. With MSM it was so off that I couln't help but notice. But I don't seem to have that problem with topical sulfur (I don't think topical sulfur products have enough sulfur to be a problem--and it's not in the bloodstream the same way ingested sulfur is).

Plus, I've used Qhemet Biologics products, which have sulfur, and I didn't have a problem w/ those either.

ETA: As soon as I stopped taking MSM capsules everything went back to normal.

Thanks! I wondered what someones experience was going from MSM and then trying BT!

isobell

Msm made me spot all month long, I couldn't tell when my period officially started and ended. I also had cramps to go with all the spotting so I was just miserable. My doctor was unsure whether it would mess with the effectiveness of my birth control and since I'm more concerned with not being pregnant before I'm ready than I am about my hair I quit. The next month my cycle was normal again. I was taking 3000mg per day. It affects every woman differently.

I only use BT twice a week and I haven't noticed any changes in my cycle.

starfish

The first time I took MSM in September, my period came that night, 5 days early! So I started by taking 1/8 tsp and gradually worked my way up to the tablespoon I take now.
Some people can take the full dosage right out of the gate with no problems, while others, like myself, are more and need to take it slowly.

HTH!
-Robyn

PuffyBrown

When I first started taking the MSM I had 2 in 1 month cycle. How inconvenient was that? I just kept up with my normal routine and built up my system...now I have not had any cramps..my girls don't get as big as melons and though I have always been very light it is just different for me...better. I think MSM is here to stay for me.

thiccknlong

I didn't take it long enough to notice an affect on my cycle

But, I took it for two days, and I was NERVOUS, JITTERY AS H-LL !

Has anyone noticed this ? It was strong enough for me to notice. I felt like I was in a full blown panic attack.

thiccknlong

starfish said:
The first time I took MSM in September, my period came that night, 5 days early! So I started by taking 1/8 tsp and gradually worked my way up to the tablespoon I take now.
Some people can take the full dosage right out of the gate with no problems, while others, like myself, are more and need to take it slowly.

HTH!
-Robyn

Oh, so you have to build up ? If this is true , i didn't know that.

I started with like, a tsp and a 1/2...I didn't know you should only take a small amount.

Maybe thats why I felt like I was freakin jumpy and nervous :confused: