Ladies who have recovered from long-term scalp damage: help!

MrsS said:
All of the above are true for me except for the rain, but It's gonna be part of it at the doc's office. This cameo is gonna be easier than I thought. :lol:

Sent from my PG86100 using LHCF

:lol: :up:
Seriously... Get all that checked. You might be anemic.

Sent from my Inspire HD using LHCF

The rest of your blood tests can look normal and the ferritin still be low. My ferritin was low as per my Derm. The iron fixed it and the hair got better.

All of the above are true for me except for the rain, but It's gonna be part of it at the doc's office. This cameo is gonna be easier than I thought. :lol:

Hey did you ever get checked out?

Nizoral is extremely harsh on the hair. I had a prescription when I was 11. My hair sounded like rice crispy treats basking in warm milk. :sad:

I know the doctor prescribed it. I know I'm not a doctor, but I would NOT. I use Miconazole Nitrate with no irritation.

"Ketoconazole,29 sulconazole and oxiconazole30 require only once-daily application because of their long durability in the superficial layers of the skin. Clotrimazole, miconazole, and econazole require twice-daily application."

Ketoconazole is also available in cream form. I would ask the doc about that because that shampoo is like turpentine.

OK...so...I just bought some MN today and added it to my brahmi-bhringraj mix :look: If it works out as well as everyone says it does I'm going to look back on these last few months and be like "why didn't I listen to JeterCrazed? WHY?!?" :nono: That is all.

sheanu said:
Hey did you ever get checked out?

sheanu le sigh... I called to set up an appointment but my doctor was booked for the month of April. :sad: I was told to call back at the end of the month, so I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me.
If I can't get an appointment with her soon, I'll just switch doctors. I don't like to say that, but if I'm not satisfied by my doctors, I just toss like a sack of potato and find a better one. :look:

Wow not much I can add you ladies are all on point! I also have long term scalp damage even 4 yrs after my last perm. I can't tell you how many times my wack patch has gotten better and relapsed over the years. I'm on the upswing again at the moment :) using esential oil therapy, vigorous scalp massages and small tweaks in my diet (finally figured out that DAIRY is not a friend to my scalp either!)

Just stick with whichever method you choose to re-grow. Consistency is key.

I disagree with you on the dairy products. I recently started using yogurt mixed with a little mustard oil and my scalp & hair were singing! I wanted a natural protein treatment and this was great. The last time I mixed in an avocado which an Asian friend recommended, as opposed to leaving the mixture on for a maximum of 2hrs I fell asleep and left it on overnight! When I eventually washed it out and DC'd I didn't recognise my hair or scalp, my hair was thicker and my scalp felt very clean and moisturised, this was in addition to a growth spurt! Try this and I guarantee your hair and scalp will love it and it also calms scalp conditions especially dandruff!

I'm not trying to "take over" the thread but while we're talking about scalps, can anyone reccomend some sort of oil for burning/soar scalp?

Try spritzing your scalp with EOs and aloe Vera added to boiled or distiller water. These soothe the scalp. If you have Basil EO use this sparingly it acts as an astringent whilst promoting hair growth.

Hi again everyone,

I just got the results back from the dermatologist and they say it's early traction alopecia so it can definitely be treated. @jeter, I stopped the nizoral after your recommendation and have started cowashing more often and doing baking soda washes. I'll keep you all updated on my progress :yep:

Anyone else have updates?

Try Emu oil it reawakens the follicles but can take a while before you notice results (2wks to 3mths).

[USER=4531]MeechUK[/USER] said:
Why not the EO? I love the way it makes my scalp tingle and soothes!

It doesn't tingle as much as the flavor. Peppermint flavor is concentrated for menthol and not essential oil/saponins or whatever. And peppermint flavor is cheaper.

Sent from my Inspire HD using LHCF

Does anyone know what the UK equivalent to MN is? From what I have read this could be the answer to my flaky scalp.

[USER=60823]brittle_hair[/USER] said:
Does anyone know what the UK equivalent to MN is? From what I have read this could be the answer to my flaky scalp.

Go to amazon.co.uk and type in mn. It'll pop up.

sheanu, :peek: You rang? :giggle:

Growth is still much slower than the rest of my hair, but everything is all filled in. It's so nappy back there, jeezus!! :fistshake:
I'm gonna start training it like I did last time. I'm annoyed that this is a routine, but at least I have a regimen.

@sheanu, :peek: You rang? :giggle:

Growth is still much slower than the rest of my hair, but everything is all filled in. It's so nappy back there, jeezus!! :fistshake:
I'm gonna start training it like I did last time. I'm annoyed that this is a routine, but at least I have a regimen.

Lol from what I've heard the growth does improve once your scalp has recuperated right? I'm glad it's filled in though!

Meh, little progress from what I can tell but my mom said she saw some improvement. :shrug: I have to compare pics to tell the difference.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF...if only it would stop correcting what I write.

Lol from what I've heard the growth does improve once your scalp has recuperated right? I'm glad it's filled in though!

Yeah, but just because you see growth doesn't mean your scalp is healed. that area is still abnormally tender compared to the rest of my scalp.

Hey ladies! How's everyone doing? Brittle hair, BusyLady, lushcoils, MrsS, JeterCrazed, MeechUK, yorkpatties have you ladies seen any progress?

Hi sheanu I am well :) After going to the derm I have seen a complete turn-around. My scalp was in REALLY bad shape when I first went to her. I no longer have the itching, my hair is finally growing in what used to be a bald patch. It stated off growing slower than the rest of my hair but now I am pretty sure it's growing consistently now. Very, very satisfied with my results. I can only image what my head would look like if I didn't seek medical attention. :nono: It was something I put off for too long as it was. I am extremely careful about wearing any pulling hairstyles now or adding any extra hair like extensions. I have worn extensions for years without any visible problems but I worry that they could be causing harm in the long run; sometimes when we don't see an immediate problem we believe there is no problem.

I hope you other ladies are seeing the results you want!

Yeah, but just because you see growth doesn't mean your scalp is healed. that area is still abnormally tender compared to the rest of my scalp.

Yes, this happened to me as well. That area was quite tender for a while even though I was seeing growth. Until one day, without me noticing, the tenderness just went away.

I went to the dermatologist today and he did a biopsy. It hurts a lot of now...:sad:

Sent from my PG86100

Yeaaaa! Mine did too :( My scalp is red very often where they did the biopsies...

Sent from my LS670 using LS670

I'm trying to read old threads concerning hair loss and thinning. I'm supposed to be getting a scalp biopsy but now I'm scared to. I kinda wish I never read this.

Any updates?

I'm trying to read old threads concerning hair loss and thinning. I'm supposed to be getting a scalp biopsy but now I'm scared to. I kinda wish I never read this.

Any updates?

My scalp is fine now. It was sore for a couple of days and then healed nicely. I can't even find the scar now.

Any updates?

Mine is fine as well. I only remember it when my braider runs the comb over the spots.

any updates?? sheanu and other ladies, any scalp updates?

No real update on my side. I think the damage has stopped but the hair isn't growing. :ohwell: I'm getting ready to do a big chop and just wear a wig. I can't deal with it anymore.

Sent from my iPad...excuse the typos

I actually ended up bcing again (mid october) and am wearing a wig til the new year. My hair was thinning really bad and breaking. I've since started using MN and am seeing improvement in my growth and hairline

After reviewing several Youtube videos there are some ladies that reports to having much success with shedding and alopecia symptoms. After using everything else I thought I would give Onion and Garlic juice mask for stopping the hair shedding. I think they may be on to something.

I tried the garlic and added onions and it significantly reduced my shedding to just a few strands. I incorporated the black tea rinse afterwards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdQfVVERuc

More good information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYV6Mt5_ZEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWwwzoOQ7Mg

Last edited:
Update: I'm pretty sure I have white piedra. I tried MN but was having a lot of breakage so I'm just going to go to the dermatologist and let them test for it. Last time they just prescribed nizoral but I don't think that was enough.

ETA: the doctor said it was just dandruff that'd clumped together with oils. I haven't had this issue in the past few months though so no worries

Last edited:
Back