Ladies who make their own Ayurvedic oils: What carrier oils do you use?

*Muffin*

I was wondering what kind of oil would be best for making hair oils from ayurvedic powders. I plan on using Amla powder, Brahmi powder, and Shikakai powder. Is it best to use a thicker oil or thinner oil? Any recommendations? TIA :yep:.

Noir

I only use penetrative oils and I use different oils for hair and scalp. I infuse an array of vedic herbs.

For my scalp massaging oils I use; jojoba, sesame, castor and emu, These oils penetrate deep into the skin.

For the hair I use; coconut (bind protein to the hair), Avocado (binds moisture) and castor.

There are others but those are the main ones that I can think of right now :)

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

I was wondering what kind of oil would be best for making hair oils from ayurvedic powders. I plan on using Amla powder, Brahmi powder, and Shikakai powder. Is it best to use a thicker oil or thinner oil? Any recommendations? TIA :yep:.
Are you planning on straining out the powder. I'm just curious because I read that the powder granules are like scissors and you have to make certain to get them out of the hair...?

Noir

Are you planning on straining out the powder. I'm just curious because I read that the powder granules are like scissors and you have to make certain to get them out of the hair...?
I strain the herbs but with my scalp oils a will leave a tiny amount of sludge (soggy herb powder) at the bottom of the jar/bottle.

Evazhair

coconut or sesame to infuse. Strain with funnel& cheesecloth and mix with other oils depending on if it's for scalp or hair. I prefer coconut for scalp/prepoos only. Lighter oils for my length.

*Muffin*

I was leaning toward using thinner oils like jojoba oil or safflower oil. I was thinking about coconut oil but I thought it might be too thick. So jojoba oil would be better for scalp and coconut is better for hair?